Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I've built a few Jamieson kits, the pressed shell for the LMS streamliners was the best way to produce one for a long time. This is the only Jamieson loco I still have though.

45156.JPG.bc0dc5b70b02416ea76ba5862439de95.JPG45156 was the first Jamieson kit I built, it has been altered a bit now with mostly etched motion (not sure if it's K's or Eames etch or a mixture of both). It still had K's wheels when this photo was taken but it now has Gibson drivers.

I think I remember 45156 from Wallgate days.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I've built a few Jamieson kits, the pressed shell for the LMS streamliners was the best way to produce one for a long time. This is the only Jamieson loco I still have though.

45156.JPG.bc0dc5b70b02416ea76ba5862439de95.JPG45156 was the first Jamieson kit I built, it has been altered a bit now with mostly etched motion (not sure if it's K's or Eames etch or a mixture of both). It still had K's wheels when this photo was taken but it now has Gibson drivers.

Good morning Mike,

45156, one of the locos which generated the most incredulity to the 'spotters at Chester. 

Observing operations one day at the east end of the General, a 'Mickey' appeared on a Manchester-Llandudno express. Normally, this would cause little in the way of interest because any 'Mickey' shedded at one of the Manchester sheds, Chester or any based on the North Wales coast would long since have been 'copped'. In fact, apart from a glance, no notice would have been taken. However, on this occasion, a glance revealed a named 'Mickey' What! Now, to us 'Southerners', named Stanier Class Fives were only ever seen in photographs or dreams. Where was 65B? St. Rollox. Somewhere ecclesiastical? Somewhere very far away? Scotland? Yes. 

We gaped in incredulity, rushing along platform 5, then to 4 where AYRSHIRE YEOMANRY had come to a halt. Instead of 65B on the smokebox door, there was 26A. Newton Heath. Manchester. What! 'What's all the fuss about?' asked a mature enthusiast. 'Yesterday, LANARKSHIRE YEOMANRY came through'. And, so it was, the pair became as common as any other local 'Mickey', but THE GLASGOW HIGHLANDER and GLASGOW YEOMANRY were never ever seen. Later, 45154 and 45156 were allocated to Liverpool district depots, but they were still seen regularly. 

Happy days.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Very probably, it's been running since December 1979 - had a Pittman motor and K's wheels then.

Bloody hell, it's only seven months younger than me, although I am starting to look as weathered. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Mike,

45156, one of the locos which generated the most incredulity to the 'spotters at Chester. 

Observing operations one day at the east end of the General, a 'Mickey' appeared on a Manchester-Llandudno express. Normally, this would cause little in the way of interest because any 'Mickey' shedded at one of the Manchester sheds, Chester or any based on the North Wales coast would long since have been 'copped'. In fact, apart from a glance, no notice would have been taken. However, on this occasion, a glance revealed a named 'Mickey' What! Now, to us 'Southerners', named Stanier Class Fives were only ever seen in photographs or dreams. Where was 65B? St. Rollox. Somewhere ecclesiastical? Somewhere very far away? Scotland? Yes. 

We gaped in incredulity, rushing along platform 5, then to 4 where AYRSHIRE YEOMANRY had come to a halt. Instead of 65B on the smokebox door, there was 26A. Newton Heath. Manchester. What! 'What's all the fuss about?' asked a mature enthusiast. 'Yesterday, LANARKSHIRE YEOMANRY came through'. And, so it was, the pair became as common as any other local 'Mickey', but THE GLASGOW HIGHLANDER and GLASGOW YEOMANRY were never ever seen. Later, 45154 and 45156 were allocated to Liverpool district depots, but they were still seen regularly. 

Happy days.

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes, the 26A allocation shows its origin for my Wigan Wallgate layout. 45154 is also underlined in my spotters books but like you I never saw the other two named Mickeys.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Mike,

Observing operations one day at the east end of the General, a 'Mickey' appeared on a Manchester-Llandudno express. 

Hi Tony and All,

I'm confused here. back then why did you refer to Black 5s as "Mickeys", I thought they were always "Black 5s, Class 5s, 5s, 5000s, 5MTs or Ten-Wheelers"? To me a "Mickey" is a 2MT 2-6-0 or tank (Mickey Mouse, cos the front silhouette looked like the cartoon character ears), or were you talking Chester General slang?      BK

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

27 minutes ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

Hi Tony and All,

I'm confused here. back then why did you refer to Black 5s as "Mickeys", I thought they were always "Black 5s, Class 5s, 5s, 5000s, 5MTs or Ten-Wheelers"? To me a "Mickey" is a 2MT 2-6-0 or tank (Mickey Mouse, cos the front silhouette looked like the cartoon character ears), or were you talking Chester General slang?      BK

Black 5's, or 'Blackies' as we called them around Birmingham, seemed to have regional nicknames. As I recall, 'Mickeys' seemed  to be the nickname of choice around the East Midlands.

Davey

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

Hi Tony and All,

Good afternoon Brian,

Are the problems of parochial speech. 

To anyone born north of the Midlands, a 'Mickey' will always be a Stanier or Ivatt 5MT 4-6-0 (derived from mixed traffic, I believe).

It's the same with Stanier's/Ivatt's 'Princess Coronations' - always 'Semis' to northerners - an epithet always spoken with reverence, though very loudly when one appeared (almost as loudly as 'streak' when an A4 came through at Retford). 

Others? 'Coffee Pot' for a 4F, 'Sputnik' for 58171 (6A's only ever ex-Midland 2F). Western stuff was always its 'proper' designation, but LMS equivalents had their names shortened - 'Pats', 'Jubs', 'Scots', 'Prinnies' and so on. 

'Gorilla Mickeys' were those fitted with massive outside steam pipes, for obvious reasons. 

Perhaps others from different parts of this great realm will regale us with nicknames of their local steam stuff. Though I've heard the names 'Gronks', Tractors', Whistlers', Duffs' and so on, I know not what they mean! Diesels? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of visiting locos to LB.....

KsKirtleyRU.jpg.c93ca5eac5474402927d6d7ea29adc3c.jpg

A K's outside framed ex-Midland 0-6-0. 

It didn't work, so a mate left it with me. It does now.

Given some basic information, I've also fitted some stuff on the roof of that 3D-printed ex-GC Restaurant Car. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I think a 4F was always a 4F, and an 8F an 8F. (From someone born and bred in Derby...)

I think you may be correct Peter, Coffee Pot was surely a Southern Q1 0-6-0? A "Flat Top" was an original Bulleid Pacific.

Kind regards,

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

I think a 4F was always a 4F, and an 8F an 8F. (From someone born and bred in Derby...)

Yes but the 4F was known as the "Big Goods" long before it was called a 4F just saying.

When is a bothy not a bothy? When it's a shed or a hut but it's still a bothy or a shed or a hut.

We all call a Fowler 3F tank a Jinty but they were not called a Jinty by the engine men or shed staff they were called Jockos.

So it's Yes but! No but! Yes but! add infinitum.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

See, I'm from the north west and I never heard many of those used by local enthusiasts that were older than me or ex locomen. I wasn't born when steam was going but I knew a lot of railwaymen from family and friends, and then when volunteering I met a few enthusiasts. I think it's a case of who you knew and many of the terms they use stick.

A Five always seemed to be a Five. Never heard Black Five used by anyone other than enthusiasts.

Jubilee was a 5X.

Baby Scot was used for the Patriots.

Always a Duchess, never heard the term Semi until recent years and assume it only applied to the sloping smokebox version.

Gronk is an odd one. Never heard that until recent years either. Up here the enginemen still called them Jinties or occasionally Jockos.

Many diesels are identified by sound. Ones I remember being used in the 1980s.

37 sounds like a Tractor.

50 like a Hoover.

40s whistled.

20s sounded like helicopters so Choppers.

Class 47 were Duffs as they were just that. MacDuffs were Scottish ones. 

Class 24 and 25s were Rats as they were everywhere.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Yes but the 4F was known as the "Big Goods" long before it was called a 4F just saying.

When is a bothy not a bothy? When it's a shed or a hut but it's still a bothy or a shed or a hut.

We all call a Fowler 3F tank a Jinty but they were not called a Jinty by the engine men or shed staff they were called Jockos.

So it's Yes but! No but! Yes but! add infinitum.

Regards Lez. 

They did around here. The crews still called the 08s Jinties well into the 1980s.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They did around here. The crews still called the 08s Jinties well into the 1980s.

Jason

and yet everyone I know has always called the 08 gronks. I've never heard or them being called Jintys.

Regards Lez.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

'Bagnalls' on the Somerset & Dorset!

Plus, 3F tender locos were 'Bulldogs' and 4Fs 'Armstrongs'.

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
Added a couple
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Crikey, i've opened the floodgates with this nickname topic. No rude ones please, like the LBSCR I3 class wozzit, that lacked strength, and didn't pull very well?  

Cheers, Brian. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

I think you may be correct Peter, Coffee Pot was surely a Southern Q1 0-6-0? A "Flat Top" was an original Bulleid Pacific.

Kind regards,

Weren't Q1s called 'Buckets'? Or 'Charlies'?

Never having seen one until after I'd changed from being a trainspotter to a railway enthusiast, I don't know.

Regards,

Tony.