Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

29 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

2. My 25mm lens has an angle of view equivalent to a full-frame "standard" lens but the DoF characteristics of a cropped image taken on a full-frame wide-angle.

John

You mean equivalent field of view. The angle of view is the fixed property of the optic. A focal length of 25mm is the same regardless of the size of the recording medium behind it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, maico said:

On my screen Tony, the area in focus has more resolution in the image shot at F8.

Having spent a lifetime working in the film industry behind the camera I've got a pretty good eye!

Good morning,

I concede to your expertise, and I think I know what you're getting at. However, the difference is slight, and more than made up for by the lower picture being of far greater use because it's all in focus. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, dibateg said:

I'm reworking a second hand J39 to become 64747, and did the usual search on the number and shed allocations etc. The one thing missing from my doner engine was the vacuum tank on the tender, so I set about getting one. Having posted my work on WT, I was contacted by another WT member also building 64747 in 4mm scale, to tell me that engine did not have a vac tank - or a pick up dome for that matter. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190924022@N03/51401740566

Now, I thought that all J39s had a vac tank.... apparently not so! An edict was issued in 1946 that various freight classes including J39s, should have the water pick up gear removed at works visits. On examining Yeadons, 64747 had several General's in the early 1950's, so it's not unreasonable to assume that the gear was removed during that period. With my layout period of '59 - '62, I needed to do something. So I set to with a hot iron from the inside and dropped out the existing filler and dome. Then made up a new blanking plate for the dome space and I had in stock an ROD tender type filler that looked more like the one in the Flickr photo. It does look rather empty on that rear platform now... although I have added th elifting links since.

IMG_9986.JPG.4c65adc251531c6d251a4daa9117e4dd.JPG

As loco builders, we enjoy our engine picking... Even the tools boxes were wrong, they didn't look anything like the group standard ones.

IMG_9973.JPG.88dd750f191bc03fe352956294424789.JPG

I only mention it, as when I did a Google image search on 64747, a picture of one on Little Bytham  came up..... and I'm sure it had a vac tank... probably a loco I built years ago!

Regards

Tony

Good morning Tony,

I think this is the one...........

J3964747.jpg.cf769fa20983ea0a95b7942bc2fb2a2b.jpg

elevatedviewJ39onpick-up.jpg.31d6f16518a2d2a2760d3f0380bb2069.jpg

track-levelviewJ39onpick-up.jpg.29423fa2504fe771573cf87d99c01fdc.jpg

Ex-Charwelton, it definitely has a vac' tank (which is staying). 

I believe it was built for the late Stephen Gradidge by Alan Hammet, originally supplied in LNER condition. I also believe you acquired it, and repainted/weathered it into BR condition - as is seen above.

It's a really lovely loco in all departments (the only thing I've done is to add the lubricator drive). It's a privilege now to own it. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16

Yes - thats the one! It was a Proscale model built by Allen for Stephen Gradidge in late LNER livery. I acquired it from Stephen's estate after he passed away. I met Stephen a few times - he was an out and out GC enthusiast, a very nice chap. If I recall, he passed away on the day of his retirement. So that would have been 35 years ago or more? In those days of course there wasn't the proliferation of information on line that we have now. So it was reworked with the information we had at the time. I think it's important to remember a model's history and the memories that it carries.

I do like to see previously owned models going on to have another life, thats always gratifying.

Best Regards

Tony

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 hours ago, Jamiel said:

Interestingly one of the characteristics of films/movies, and especially wide screen images is the amount of distortion giving ‘character’ to the look.

Lens aberration, the splitting of colours into a prism effect, by the edges of the lens gives the edges of films a look that helps make the centre of the image more attractive and guide the viewer to focus on that space. Many lenses only have a limited central area in focus as well.

Using anamorphic lenses also accentuates this, and if you watch any JJ Abrahams films (not something I would personally recommend!) additional lens flares are often added in post-production to create a ‘more filmic look’.

Some digital film cameras offer a cropped view, just taking the part of the image in the centre, with less distortion, or it can be done is post production as Tony has above.

There is an argument between sharper being better but lacking character, and shots with character but lacking detail. This also mirrors the differences in choices made between still and moving image photography.

Exposure on a moving image and the ‘lens angle’ (time the footage is exposed) is also a great difference between still and moving image, too much detail is uncomfortable on the eye, Steven Spielberg used this to make sequences in ‘Saving Private Ryan’ visually hard as well as the horrific acts being depicted.

Depth of focus also has very different aims in films, often there is a small depth of focus again to highlight where the director wants you to look, but still photography often has a deep focus allowing a lot of detail to be looked at. I would suspect that to mimic a small depth of focus for taking photographs of model railways in a filmic manner you would have to use a macro lens.

Personally, I prefer the wide shots without a crop as it loses the character of the lens, but that is probably because I am used to viewing moving images a great deal.

A lot of the choice is do you want to document as much as possible on a model, or to try and reproduce how the model would look if it were a photograph of the real thing. That might lead to a lot of photographs being made black and white and with grain (or noise as photoshop calls it).

As an aside, a question that is often asked by cinematographers at the start of a film is what lenses would the visual effects (VFX) department like to use? VFX usually reply Sony Spherical lenses, very accurate very little distortion and without character (very easy to use in post-production) and then the cinematographer will suggest 1960s hand ground anamorphic Cooks lenses. The VFX department then conceded the Cooks lenses look far better and ask to shoot lens charts so that the distortion can be reproduced in post.

I think the point I am trying to make is that sharper is not always better and sometimes you want to create a shot that is more about character. Very useful when reproducing a period look, but not very useful when documenting a how much work has gone into making a fantastic layout.

When I was focus puller you had to be careful with older Cooke primes. Some project a pronounced curved plane of focus. Focus in the middle and the edges were out and vice versa. Zeiss are flat field.

In my time in the industry I can't recall any Sony lenses. It was Zeiss, Panavision Primo, Leica, Cooke zooms, and the odd Angénieux zoom and Canon superspeed primes. Long lens would be converted Canon still lenses.

Edited by maico
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Apart from domestic video, I do not know of any Sony lenses.

My HDV is Carl Zeiss vario sonnar.

The 4000P was Sony branded.

Not sure where I put it as the tube has worn out.

The recorder still works. 42 years old design.

2 hours ago, maico said:

When I was focus puller you had to be careful with older Cooke primes. Some project a pronounced curved plane of focus. Focus in the middle and the edges were out and vice versa. Zeiss are flat field.

In my time in the industry I can't recall any Sony lenses. It was Zeiss, Panavision Primo, Leica, Cooke zooms, and the odd Angénieux zoom and Canon superspeed primes. Long lens would be converted Canon still lenses.

Sony lenses have no character and are only good for technical photography, hence VFX supervisors liking them, and cinematographers not. I have only ever seen Sony lenses used for green screen shots or to get VFX elements.

The list you give is very accurate, Cookes have lots of issues but lots of charter, Zeiss are lovely as are Panavision. I did see a shot done with a Cooke anamorphic of a pans past Dutch houses, and it looked like an accordion, the inaccuracies in the lenses were too much for the shot, but the budget didn't reach to having alternate lenses for shots like that, and to be honest the film was quite dreadful anyway. Great camera crew though, and nice art department.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

As part of my series of articles for BRM on 'budget modelling', I've just completed fiddling with an old Palitoy/Mainline BR Standard 4 4-6-0 75XXX.

Budgetmodelling0275XXX17.jpg.3b9a0d8cff92ba147fdcc39cf98a6470.jpg

Budgetmodelling0275XXX18.jpg.d2f76513878e4197249efbe5531716b9.jpg

Considering the initial outlay was merely £5.00, and it still runs................. Not bad?

The wheels warped on my Bachmann version, I do need to get the spares for it.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MJI said:

The wheels warped on my Bachmann version, I do need to get the spares for it.

Good afternoon Martin,

Budgetmodelling0275XXX13.jpg.872134f3446f4d99177bd5d6f3971ad2.jpg

This one has all the 'attributes' of the original split-chassis 'nastiness' (here I am weathering the motion).

After I'd cleaned the crud of decades off the wheels, it ran, but with all the quietness of a chain saw! A drop of oil quietened it to a pitch not damaging to one's hearing, then the quartering went on the rear axle under load. A bead of superglue on the inner plastic muff's end seemed to work, but this type of thing is all too common with this awful mechanism - a split-chassis which literally splits! Bachmann perpetuated this nonsense when it took over the range (the split-chassis B1s and V2s being particularly notorious in my experience). 

So, the question must be asked, why did I bother? Because it shows that with a bit of perseverance, something really cheap can be sort of 'resurrected'. Granted, it'll never be as quiet as anything produced today RTR (though it's on a par with some kit-built locos I've had through my hands), but it will run.

Years ago, there were two exhibition layouts where locos using this type of mechanism ran. I think one represented Marsden and another a viaduct on the Lancs/Yorks border. Entering the show, one knew immediately if those layouts were present, especially if a train were double-headed! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Budgetmodelling0275XXX17.jpg.3b9a0d8cff92ba147fdcc39cf98a6470.jpg

Mainline 75001 was I think, my first "really good" model loco (as opposed to Hornby train set locos of the era).  I don't care that the current Bachmann/Hornby/whoever's model is superior, I will never part with my 75001, although it hasn't been run for years I will always treasure it.  It's worth reminding ourselves that the model was released about 45 years ago

Mainline and Airfix really did bring Hornby kicking and screaming into the 1980s.  Yes, the mechanism design turned out to be a poor choice in the long term, but everything about the proportions of body and tender on the Standard 4 look excellent to me.

• Like 6
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

Peters' spares do replacement axle centres for that type of split axle loco. There are EM gauge options on eBay as well.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

@Tim Dubya posted this yesterday in the Small Suppliers Section - I thought it may be of interest to Sir and the Class here....

(click on the photo to bring the full story up)

HTH - and many thanks to Tim.

Brian

Edited by polybear
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

What an excellent job, Tony. A loco like that for £5.00? Wonderful!

I bought one of these back when they first came out. I had no where to run it for many, many years, so it only got a little test running now and then.

When wanted to use it on my S&D layout 'Engine Wood', I found that the wheels were no longer retained on the axles, the usual Mainline split chassis problem.

My solution was to put a Comet chassis under the body and apply some weathering. Should I start exhibiting my remaining S&D layout again, the Standard 4 still remains in 'front line service'.

75023 was a Templecombe loco for a while in the early 1960s. Here it is on 'Engine Wood':

DSCN6695.jpg.f0993c5880e2c48aae9bf96a5d279e37.jpg

And on 'Bleakhouse Road':

IMG_1989.jpg.8682b17cf06ef2deb3c7cb25fdd795fe.jpg

Thanks Captain,

The model had been previously weathered by its (original?) owner, and I, using prototype photos for reference, added to it (the weeping from the regulator gland is very common on these locos, as are brown deposits around the smokebox). 

If I had a use for it, I'd definitely build a replacement Comet chassis, but that would be way beyond the brief.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7

These excellent shots really do show that there is simply no need to mess about with focus stacking to make an image look good. Even the f22 on my old Nikon D200 will give very good depth of field, on my admittedly rather smaller layout, which is likely to be better than anything I could have taken if I'd really been there in the 1940's. Some of the photo's in the magazines do look rather over-processed and over-coloured, and I prefer the more natural look I have to say!

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Somewhere or other Iain Rice gave information on how to age these old Romford motors based on their serial number, but I can't remember where! This old scratchbuilt Kitson Saddle tank I picked up some years ago has a similar motor, albeit without a number, and I, too, would love to know more about it.

WP_20150725_17_29_53_Pro.jpg.eddc69eba2c62b87915f1e53b2c00b15.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barclay said:

Some of the photo's in the magazines do look rather over-processed and over-coloured, and I prefer the more natural look I have to say!

I’m immediately thinking of the average TV add and some of the ‘reality’ shows (in which I have no interest whatsoever!). Has society become used to garish artificial colours?

I love bright colours and wish I had the nerve to dress like Michael Portillo but I find this lurid artificial reality quite awful.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2