Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Tony and everyone

A friend found the items below during a clear-out of a modeller's garage. I'm not sure what scale the items are but the wheelsets are roughly 42mm back to back. They are sitting on a sheet of A3 paper.

If anyone wants the bits and pieces - and I would really insist on 'a modeller' as opposed to 'a dealer' - please PM me. I will post free of charge but will ask you to consider making a small donation to CRUK.

Fair enough?

Brian

IMG_9650.jpg

If no takers on here it might be worth trying the “free to a good home” section at this part of the forum:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/forum/264-wanted/
There might be a bigger “audience” there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks 26power

I deliberately listed here first knowing that the thread is a Broad Church of modellers and with the hope that it might make a bob or two for CRUK.

Brian

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The frames were a doddle to erect, being mainly a single fold-up etch

What an interesting build.

I wonder, has anyone come across an etched fold up chassis in 4mm?

Or is it a factor of scale, in that 3mm scale allows this method of construction?

56 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

Or is it a factor of scale, in that 3mm scale allows this method of construction?

Dave Bradwell's J27 and  J39 chassis and possible oyjers of his. 52F also does fol up chassis

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

I know the DJH J50 comes with a pre-folded one, as it is designed as a starter kit. The old Stelfox N7 is a foldup with a spacer then added in the middle. No doubt there are others. There are usually additional spacers to suit EM and P4, the idea being you break the integral OO ones out at the fold lines and replace for those scales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Gents - every days is a school day.

Having built DJH, Comet and K's kits - I hadn't come across a fold up chassis.

Seems to make a lot of sense as I imagine it helps to build a square chassis.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

@Tony Wright Just wondering what your verdict was on the latest anchor oil tanks from Dapol was, I couldn’t help noticing them on the latest TMC video that featured LB.😉

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

There's been a lot of discussion here over the past few months about the Peter Lawson collection.

I'm delighted to say that I now own, with the help of @LNER4479 and my No 2 daughter, five ex-GWR coaches from the collection. These will make their way south in a couple of weeks, when I return to Australia at the end of a short visit to England for a school 50th anniversary reunion next Sunday (no, I didn't think I was that old either). After fitting new couplings, they'll be ready to take their place in the Mid-Cornwall Lines fleet.

Thanks to both Graham and Tony for arranging the disposal of these items so efficiently and sympathetically.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

@Tony Wright Just wondering what your verdict was on the latest anchor oil tanks from Dapol was, I couldn’t help noticing them on the latest TMC video that featured LB.😉

Hi Robin

They are not anchor mounted oil tanks but saddle mounted ones. There are some livery and detail errors, the worse being the Shell Motor Spirit silver tank with red stripe, a limited pre WW2 livery with post WW2 platforms and ladders. These wagons were built for the transport of aviation fuel during WW2 so none should be in pre WW2 colours. Pre WW2 built wagons with silver tanks were painted grey as not to be targets for the Luftwaffe.  I did try to talk to the chap who developed these at Ally Pally but he did not want to engage with me. Otherwise the models are very good representation, one just needs to do some research as to which configuration of platforms and ladders (if fitted) the oil company of your choice should have.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I did try to talk to the chap who developed these at Ally Pally but he did not want to engage with me.

Probably because introducing changes at that stage would highlight his error to management.

One has to wonder how many model production 'cock-ups' are down to ego!

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Good afternoon Robin,

I didn't really notice them, I'm afraid. I left Howard Smith to do his videoing on Little Bytham while I attended to something else.

I think Clive has summed them up much better than I ever could have done; I really know very little of such things.  All I really did was put some of them back in their boxes after Howard had finished.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Friendly/supportive 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Red Devil said:

As a recent convert to 3mm I thought that too at first, it does take a while to get used to working in a new scale, I'd never really bothered with anything other than 4mm, now I seem to think in 3mm!

I've recently nearly completed this dead rail/radio control Park Royal railbus chassis for the Lincoln Locos print body, it has a 100mah lipo battery with both a charge socket and contacts underneath so it can charge on the track in the fiddle yard, runtime with this was 4 hours plus....I got fed up timing it. Motor is a Tramfabriek 816 coreless can driving one axle through Ultrascale 22:1 gears which is fine on 3.7 volts. Managed to squeeze most of it in with only a couple of mill intrusion into the body.

Radio control receiver by Micron and it lives in the pod under the chassis.

IMG_20240514_185700.jpg

Good afternoon,

I doubt if I'll ever think in any scale other than 4mm. 

I've built very little in N Gauge (2mm FS is way beyond my limited capabilities), bucket loads in OO, quite a few things in EM and about ten locos/items of rolling stock in O. S4/P4 is also way beyond my 'pay rate' - I'll never acquire the necessary skills.

3mm then? As I stated, my first foray into the scale. That chassis is to 12mm gauge, so there's not much space for my style of pick-ups, especially around the spring detail. At least it has brakes (yet to be added), which is something many 3mm bods happily omit (it's something I used to not bother with many moons ago, but I'd rarely leave such essential details off a loco chassis these days). 

It's been my privilege to photograph several wonderful 3mm layouts down the years - those no longer with us; the Gentles of this world and the Bossoms, as well as those still active - the likes of Mike Corp. 

In many ways it should be the ideal scale, though Hornby's adoption of TT 120 doesn't seem to have been universally applauded. Still, at least it's the correct scale/gauge relationship. 12mm gauge in 3mm scale is 'worse' than 16.5mm in 4mm, isn't it? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

In many ways it should be the ideal scale, though Hornby's adoption of TT 120 doesn't seem to have been universally applauded. Still, at least it's the correct scale/gauge relationship. 12mm gauge in 3mm scale is 'worse' than 16.5mm in 4mm, isn't it?

Yep, very much so....I can understand those that do do 12mm but as a new starter in 3mm I went for 14.2 from the outset, whilst fractionally wrong and certainly not P3 (which would be way beyond me) it's not too bad to work in, bit like EM in 4mm. I had a look at TT120, but for me, it was just that bit too small. 

All the stuff I'm currently building would be available RTR in 4mm but I like building stuff so decided to have a go at 3mm. It's most definitely a builders scale but there's plenty of stuff to have a go with.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Hi,

Going way back to the 80s, East Coast Joint Models, with which Nick Campling was involved, had fold up chassis for their LNER L1 and V4 kits. These may even have been the first fold up chassis  I think ECJM only produced these two kits which were eventually taken into the ABS range.

I think Connoisseur have fold up chassis in their 7mm kits.

Edited by Keith Turbutt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Ballyconell road, one of my favourite exhibition layouts. It runs as well as it looks.  Lots of Irish modelers are hoping IRM's announced Irish steam loco is going to be a Jeep. It would be a good choice but there are several other good choices in the frame!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1