Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Wow! I never thought that Wright writes would ever reach the dizzy heights of discussing what time the PM evacuated their bowels!

Come to think of it The Evacuations might make an interesting period setting for a model railway. I bet they had to press all sorts of interesting old equipment into service then. Unfortunately as photography was restricted there shouldn't be too many photos around to record the event. On the other hand that might be a significant advantage to some of us :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Don't get me wrong, I love the banter, I love the discussing, makes me feel part of the British modelling, as I am down under, there is no where near the amount of people who model British in Australia, compared to the British who model the British-that gave me a headache. 

All I am saying is it can get a bit like as I said, just shut up and get on with it. Half the time its mostly on Facebook groups, there is one bloke in particular he is always posting videos/photos and when we give him advice its always, "yeah i know", "you don't need to tell me", "nah I'm not doing it that way", me being the hot headed/impatient bastard flipped it at him asking why he posts in the group if he cant take constructive criticism. His reply was that he knows what hes doing, I turned around and said mate your 20 you don't know everything, I am 22, a good modeler in my own right, but I no where near know everything and I still have much to learn. 

Another example, posting stupid sh*t about the GST prices, and why the Prime Minister went to the loo at 10am instead of 11. 

I'll repeat, just shut up and get on with it. 

I feel a hiding from Tony on my grammar coming on.

Jesse, I think that’s a bit harsh. There is a very high standard of modelling presented on this thread, particularly by Tony and a small group of very experienced modellers that is an inspiration to many. There are many more people who have a genuine interest in following and supporting this thread whose modelling has not yet reached their level, who may be inhibited from posting their own stuff out of respect... not wanting to lower the high standard of content herein.

I have a space just 16 feet by eight for my own fledgling layout, which is currently at the baseboard, electrics and track ballasting stage. I have refrained from posting my modelling output on this thread because it will be of little interest to the main participants on here. But in time, it will get there and as the layout, and the stuff that runs on it starts to take shape, I will be posting stuff worth looking at. In the meantime I follow, ask questions and learn, and contribute in the modest way that I can. Would you prefer that others just keep a low profile and ‘lurk’ on here, like I did for a while, and suspect many others still do?

I have been made very welcome on here, despite being much further down the learning curve than many contributors, and for that I am most grateful: my own modelling is improving significantly as a result. Just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean that it isn’t happening!

Phil.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I love the banter, I love the discussing, makes me feel part of the British modelling, as I am down under, there is no where near the amount of people who model British in Australia, compared to the British who model the British-that gave me a headache. 

All I am saying is it can get a bit like as I said, just shut up and get on with it. Half the time its mostly on Facebook groups, there is one bloke in particular he is always posting videos/photos and when we give him advice its always, "yeah i know", "you don't need to tell me", "nah I'm not doing it that way", me being the hot headed/impatient bastard flipped it at him asking why he posts in the group if he cant take constructive criticism. His reply was that he knows what hes doing, I turned around and said mate your 20 you don't know everything, I am 22, a good modeler in my own right, but I no where near know everything and I still have much to learn. 

Another example, posting stupid sh*t about the GST prices, and why the Prime Minister went to the loo at 10am instead of 11. 

I'll repeat, just shut up and get on with it. 

I feel a hiding from Tony on my grammar coming on. 

Good morning Jesse,

My, you are an 'angry young man'! 

You're so engrossed in what you're writing that punctuation and grammar have almost been discarded. That said, it's the honesty I admire.

I think you're right in some ways. I frequently chastise myself because of how much time I spend on RMweb (I don't do farce book, tw@tter, youtube or any other of those incomprehensible items of modernity), though I'm only able to have a thread on here because the very clever Andy York set it up for me some six years ago. Couldn't the time I spend on this site be better used for my making of models, rather than answering 'your' questions or corresponding with others? Perhaps.

That said, I've just received a PM from an 'inexperienced' modeller in New Zealand, thanking me for how 'inspiring' Wright Writes is. So much so, that he's now building loco kits - with great success! Would he have been able to have achieved this without the inspiration given on this thread by a vast number of very good modellers, with a wide range of skills and experiences? As a gesture of thanks, he's making a donation to CRUK (speaking of CRUK, I sent off a further cheque for almost £150.00 yesterday - we're now well on the way to that £2,000 this year). 

Because 'correct' English (especially written English) is important to me, I'll comment on it from time to time. But, I comment much more about model-making, prototype research and assisting others than I do about words, and it interests me not a jot when the Prime Minister - or anyone - chooses to defecate (that's taking a dump in the vernacular). As long as I'm 'regular', I really don't care. 

There are probably more examples of folk actually making models on this thread than there are on some of the model-making threads. If, from time to time it drifts into semantics, grammar, pronunciation, syntax, etymology and anything else to do with our wonderful language, please, be tolerant. Though, at your age, I didn't have long hair, body piercings and tattoos (I still don't), I was angry from time to time (most of the time), and it's natural that that should be the case (I'm even more angry now!). Like you, when I was in my twenties, I was lucky to have some friends (dear friends) who were in their seventies (now long deceased). Like them (I hope), I'm privileged to have some dear friends in their twenties - like you.

See you next month.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10

I am sorry Tony, I love this thread, I wouldn't consider you a good friend without this thread, but sometimes I feel there is too much talking/arguing/discussing and not enough modelling going on. Everyone always seems to have an opinion on this and that and how this should be done like that, but I never see any actual modelling from half of you. I may be stepping out of line here, but to me, I read some of the arguing/disusing, or what ever you would like to call it, and go, just shut up, agree to disagree and get back to the modelling, which is why we are all here. 

Isn't it?

Did I over step with my opinion?

On that note, I have almost finished the D&S kit, I'll bring it with me to report on my progress in August. 

See you soon. 

Jesse

I suspect though valid, your post may well incite even more conversation and debate (instead of modelling) .... there's irony for you  :declare:

Edited by Lecorbusier
  • Like 2

...sometimes I feel there is too much talking/arguing/discussing and not enough modelling going on...

...I have almost finished the D&S kit, I'll bring it with me to report on my progress in August...

... there's irony for you  :declare:...

Ah, the irony of taking the time to post a comment about lack of modelling while in the same breath confessing that you have modelling to do that you're not doing... 

(sorry, Jesse; I couldn't resist!)

More seriously, though, it makes a different but entirely reasonable point, albeit inadvertently. It takes an awful lot longer to build a model than it does to create a post. I've been busy building bridges now for several months but I haven't put up any pictures yet - because they're not ready to be photographed. Arguably I could have advanced further in the time I've been on RMWeb but I suspect not - it takes 15 minutes to read and comment on a thread with which you've been keeping up to date; it takes about the same amount of time to prepare adequately for a modelling session. If I don't have a good chunk of time available to dedicate to model-building, RMWeb is a good alternative: it's inspirational, and may be of direct benefit to the next session.

Think of it like breathing: thread-reading and commentary are inhalation, model-building is exhalation. I find I can only briefly do one without the other! 

Regards,

Gavin

[personal confession: I work as, among other things, a professional copy editor, so discussions about language usage and etymology are always going to interest me. I'm far more expert at that than I am at model-making. But given my predilections, other contributors to this thread should always feel free to tell me when I'm getting unhelpfully bogged down in the minutiae of grammar, syntax and style!]

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

For the last 2 to 3 months I've not been able to do any actual modelling as we were busy moving countries. Everything got packed away in a variety of places and has eventually ended up here in France along with the layout, which is partially erected in its new home. I actually found it very difficult not having any real modelling to do. However a lifeline appeared from an unexpected source. Sir, asked on here, if anyone fancied helping him out with the M & G N viaduct on LB. I had produced etches in 7mm for some similar steelwork on Lancaster Green Ayre, (LGA). A visit to LB in May gave me chance to do some measuring with Tony and a set of plans was produced. Some very helpful discussion took place on here that gave me further information.

Over the following weeks, the ability to do some virtual modelling was a great help to me. All my tools were packed away, but each evening I was able to escape the chaos of pallets,boxes and parcel tape, as well as organising the logistics of the move, and disappear into another world for an hour or so and work on the artwork for the bridge.

When we arrived in France, for obvious domestic reasons, there were higher priorities than setting up my modelling bench and getting a loco kit out. However I was still able to carry on with the artwork.

The artwork has now gone to the etchers, and back and forth a few times, but is now in production. By fortunate coincidence the final despatch of the artwork came at the same time as I was able to get my tools out and start re-wiring the fiddle yard control panel on LGA. A couple of hours each day over the past few days has enabled to make some real progress. This afternoon, the 5 year old grandson of one of our French neighbours is coming round to "Play Trains", So I am shortly off over to the shed to make sure that things work for him. All being well the Heysham boat express, with all the correct stock, bar one vehicle that I will have to scratchbuild, will run.

Throughout this hiatus, in real modelling I have thoroughly enjoyed the different themes on this thread, and though I am firmly a red engine man, have also enjoyed the photos that have been posted. I do have some hazy memories of A2's or A1's hauling the Queen of Scots near my aunt's flat in Harrogate, and enjoyed seeing them as a 5 or 6 year old. The period of virtual modelling along with thread such as this has been very helpful to me during the time that I couldn't do any 'real' modelling. Please keep things going.

Jamie

• Like 1

For the last 2 to 3 months I've not been able to do any actual modelling as we were busy moving countries. Everything got packed away in a variety of places and has eventually ended up here in France along with the layout, which is partially erected in its new home. I actually found it very difficult not having any real modelling to do. However a lifeline appeared from an unexpected source. Sir, asked on here, if anyone fancied helping him out with the M & G N viaduct on LB. I had produced etches in 7mm for some similar steelwork on Lancaster Green Ayre, (LGA). A visit to LB in May gave me chance to do some measuring with Tony and a set of plans was produced. Some very helpful discussion took place on here that gave me further information.

Over the following weeks, the ability to do some virtual modelling was a great help to me. All my tools were packed away, but each evening I was able to escape the chaos of pallets,boxes and parcel tape, as well as organising the logistics of the move, and disappear into another world for an hour or so and work on the artwork for the bridge.

When we arrived in France, for obvious domestic reasons, there were higher priorities than setting up my modelling bench and getting a loco kit out. However I was still able to carry on with the artwork.

The artwork has now gone to the etchers, and back and forth a few times, but is now in production. By fortunate coincidence the final despatch of the artwork came at the same time as I was able to get my tools out and start re-wiring the fiddle yard control panel on LGA. A couple of hours each day over the past few days has enabled to make some real progress. This afternoon, the 5 year old grandson of one of our French neighbours is coming round to "Play Trains", So I am shortly off over to the shed to make sure that things work for him. All being well the Heysham boat express, with all the correct stock, bar one vehicle that I will have to scratchbuild, will run.

Throughout this hiatus, in real modelling I have thoroughly enjoyed the different themes on this thread, and though I am firmly a red engine man, have also enjoyed the photos that have been posted. I do have some hazy memories of A2's or A1's hauling the Queen of Scots near my aunt's flat in Harrogate, and enjoyed seeing them as a 5 or 6 year old. The period of virtual modelling along with thread such as this has been very helpful to me during the time that I couldn't do any 'real' modelling. Please keep things going.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie,

Actually (pedant mode here), the Queen of Scots passing Harrogate would more likely have been hauled by an A3. A1s took it south of Leeds in the main, and A2s would have been rare (though, on odd occasions in the '50s York's A2/2s had the working between Leeds and Newcastle). 

Regards,

Tony. 

After what Jesse said, I'm going to go back to a perennial debate on here - RTR against kit building.

I've just about completed a rake of wagons for the LB weekend. I wanted a string of opens all with the same load such as you often see in photos but less often on models. I found some cylindrical steel bits - not sure what they are but they came from the cylinder head of a Mitsubishi forklift - which would comfortably fit in and weight down a 5 plank open, so I've been churning those out and adding the same load, with a sheet draped over it, to each one.

GC_open_CL_open.jpg

The first wagon is the new GC open kit from 51L. I liked it so much I've bought another. The one next to it is a 3H.

GN_open_LNE_6pl.jpg

The GN 4 plank is by Mousa, one of Bill's resin casts and the LNER open another 3H.

GC_5pl_LNW_open.jpg

GC 5 plank by Colin Ashby and the ex-LNWR open from Ratio.

GN_3pl_LY_longlow.jpg

GN Colwick open by D & S and the L & Y Long Low is MAJ.

Midland_open_GW_5pl.jpg

Midland open is Slaters and the GW 5 plank from Coopercraft.

LMS_D1666.jpg

LMS D1666 open from Cambrian.

The point I wanted to make is that when I was looking at these last night I realised that I've only actually built 3 of them - the two GC and the GN resin one. All the others have been bought at shows or from friends and repaired/refinished/refurbished. It is possible to have the variety kit built stock brings without having to build it all as long as you don't mind tackling the basket cases. New buffers, couplings, painting and weathering - the things you'd do to RTR models - can make all the difference and bring all that variety to your stock. The same applies to carriages or even locos.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

British Railway Journal No. 12, Summer 1986, pages 101-105, LNER Coach cascading in the 1930s by Clive Carter. Lists of diagrams and number series which went to the GE from the NE Area.

A copy turned up today - if anyone is interested I purchased it via "Magazine Exchange" - never used them before, but it was £3.16 delivered it a cardboard envelope in great condition.

http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/

After what Jesse said, I'm going to go back to a perennial debate on here - RTR against kit building.

I've just about completed a rake of wagons for the LB weekend. I wanted a string of opens all with the same load such as you often see in photos but less often on models. I found some cylindrical steel bits - not sure what they are but they came from the cylinder head of a Mitsubishi forklift - which would comfortably fit in and weight down a 5 plank open, so I've been churning those out and adding the same load, with a sheet draped over it, to each one.

GC_open_CL_open.jpg

The first wagon is the new GC open kit from 51L. I liked it so much I've bought another. The one next to it is a 3H.

GN_open_LNE_6pl.jpg

The GN 4 plank is by Mousa, one of Bill's resin casts and the LNER open another 3H.

GC_5pl_LNW_open.jpg

GN_3pl_LY_longlow.jpg

Midland_open_GW_5pl.jpg

LMS_D1666.jpg

The point I wanted to make is that when I was looking at these last night I realised that I've only actually built 3 of them - the two GC and the GN resin one. All the others have been bought at shows or from friends and repaired/refinished/refurbished. It is possible to have the variety kit built stock brings without having to build it all as long as you don't mind tackling the basket cases. New buffers, couplings, painting and weathering - the things you'd do to RTR models - can make all the difference and bring all that variety to your stock. The same applies to carriages or even locos.

post-15879-0-72601300-1531308016_thumb.jpg

post-15879-0-08020600-1531308068_thumb.jpg

post-15879-0-18635500-1531308096_thumb.jpg

post-15879-0-48682100-1531308160_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clem
  • Like 15

Whoops!! I didn't mean to do that! I was hoping to reply quoting it though. It's funny how your fingers can get you into trouble!! I will post something sensible shortly... :-)

I'll try again... I was trying to reply to Jon's post on RTR and Kit built wagons, and also to Jesse's slightly critical post to say that I too have been building up a rake of wagons. In my case, as I'm basing my layout on a coal carrying line around 1954/5, my balance of steel minerals to wooden minerals is too slanted towards the steel minerals at the moment. Looking at photos of those years, I'd guess the wooden wagons outnumbered the steel minerals by 2 to 1 for coal. So I've embarked on producing a loaded coal train of 35 loaded wooden coal wagons and I've just finished the first 13 using a variety of RTR and kits. Here are one or two examples..

The rake so far consists of several Bachmann7 and 8 plank weathered up as well as Parkside 7 and 8 plank wagons, an ABS white metal 8 plank, a ratio five and a half plank of GW origin and two oxford rail 6 plank wagons. The photos I have illustrate the limited but common use of unfitted merchandise wagons for coal at this time and it fact the ex-GW wagon I can actually identify from a photo.

The first photo shows part of the rake together before they all had loads. The second is  a RTR Oxford Rail ex-LNE unfitted 6-plank wagon suitably 'dressed down' and modified with correct Morton 2-shoe brake gear The third is the ex-GW five and a half plank wagon as modelled from a photo (including correct number! - bonus!).... 

The last photo is of the ABS wagon part of an order of 7 plank wagons which were built as 8 plankers a they ran out of the correct spaced planks. I found out after it had been constructed that the LNE 8-plank wagons per se were built with angle iron strapping so the ABS kit is in error. But fortunately the last couple of hundred 7 plank wagons of this batch were built with 8 and with the flat strapping.

BTW does anyone else have problems entering text when replying. That's what caused my earlier problem (along with Chris calling me into the garden to do some hedge cutting!). 

On Jesse's post, I can understand how irritating it might get to read some of the stuff which is posted here, but personally I find 99% of it pretty interesting and mostly a huge source of learning. It's certainly helped me become a better modeller. Occasionally though, it does lend itself to a misunderstanding, cross-purpose conversations and a bit of mutual consternation between the posters.

Cheers for now..

post-15879-0-11719500-1531308716_thumb.jpg

post-15879-0-17457100-1531308731_thumb.jpg

post-15879-0-22606600-1531308744_thumb.jpg

post-15879-0-49213400-1531308756_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Ditto

but as a counterpoise .... even in B&W you can just taste the Crimson Lake  :locomotive:  :sungum:  :yahoo:

attachicon.gif4-4-0_Midland_Beatrice_1757.jpg

I helped to dispose of a late friend Tony Bond's, modelling estate last year. He modelled in all sorts of scales and gauges, kit built, scratch built and modified RTR. One of the 7mm kits he had was one for Beatrice but for budgetary reasons I had to pass up on it as it doesn't fit the period that Green Ayre is set in. One of these days I will buy the kit and build it. It is such a beautiful prototype. I do have one nice early 4-4-0 that Tony built for me, No 311. It was still at Hellifield in the period I model, so that's my excuse. The only decent photo that I've got of it is one taken by Sir, that I may have posted before. It shows 311 piloting the Scotch Express on Long Preston.

post-6824-0-26299800-1531312046_thumb.jpg

As to the type of Pacific on the Queen of Scots, I remember that they had smoke deflectors and looked bug, but that's about the limit of my memory.

Jamie

• Like 7

I helped to dispose of a late friend Tony Bond's, modelling estate last year. He modelled in all sorts of scales and gauges, kit built, scratch built and modified RTR. One of the 7mm kits he had was one for Beatrice but for budgetary reasons I had to pass up on it as it doesn't fit the period that Green Ayre is set in. One of these days I will buy the kit and build it. It is such a beautiful prototype. I do have one nice early 4-4-0 that Tony built for me, No 311. It was still at Hellifield in the period I model, so that's my excuse. The only decent photo that I've got of it is one taken by Sir, that I may have posted before. It shows 311 piloting the Scotch Express on Long Preston.

072.jpg

As to the type of Pacific on the Queen of Scots, I remember that they had smoke deflectors and looked bug, but that's about the limit of my memory.

Jamie

That is a beautiful loco - and I’m modelling the GWR!!!
  • Like 1

Morning all, please don’t take my comments as angry or anything like that, I wouldn’t be where I am without RMWEB, I really enjoy this thread and my own. Also, in the case of the irony you were all talking about, I was at work, so sitting behind a computer desk is ok, but if I brought along my soldering iron might look a bit irregular. I’ll have a proper read of everything over my morning coffe, on my phone at the moment and it’s midnight here, with work at 6am.

Goodnight all

• Like 1

Nice wagons, Clem. I like the way you've mixed it up, that variety of heights is completely authentic and one of the things I look for when making up rakes of wagons. Being able to use ordinary opens in your era helps, of course.

I slipped an ordinary 6 plank open into the Grantham coal train last year and up to now no-one has said anything.

DG_lms_mex_3h_open.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

GC_open_CL_open.jpg

GN_open_LNE_6pl.jpg

GC_5pl_LNW_open.jpg

GN_3pl_LY_longlow.jpg

Midland_open_GW_5pl.jpg

LMS_D1666.jpg

Afternoon Jonathan,

you always seem to hit the nail on the head with your modeling. Beautifully observed as always and in a way that evokes a time and a place. As an onlooker, you feel as if you are utterly familiar with what you are portraying.

Nice wagons, Clem. I like the way you've mixed it up, that variety of heights is completely authentic and one of the things I look for when making up rakes of wagons. Being able to use ordinary opens in your era helps, of course.

I slipped an ordinary 6 plank open into the Grantham coal train last year and up to now no-one has said anything.

DG_lms_mex_3h_open.jpg

Can I take back what I just said?

DG_lms_mex_3h_open.jpg

Hi Jonathan, I do like the variety of the wagons you've illustrated and the way you've weathered them. If I could live forever, I'd do an LNER period as well. But I'm stuck in the mid 50s with the workhorses from Colwick I love so much. (I may do a named B1 at some stage :-)). Regarding slipping in ordinary 6 plank wagons (had to laugh at the way you put it),  I did the same with one or two 3H wagons before this present batch - mainly due to shortage of numbers. But you're dead right of course. Every photo you see of wooden mineral trains pre-1957 displays differences in heights not only due to the specified height of the wagon but also how much they'd worn out and pushed down on the leaf springs. The Bachmann wagons were a good start to building a rake as they pretty good for RTR but unless you use other sources, you just get a uniform height down the train and it doesn't look right. BTW do you know if anyone does a kit for the earlier 6 plank mineral wagons? I wouldn't mind a one or two of those in the rake. I could always scratch build but it takes that much longer to do. I do like the look of the Parkside wooden mineral kits. Now Peco have taken over, they seem to be no longer supplying EM or P4 wheels as Parkside used to do, if anyone's interested - but at least for EM,  the OO ones can be opened out.

Edited by Clem
  • Like 3

Hi Jonathan, I do like the variety of the wagons you've illustrated and the way you've weathered them. If I could live forever, I'd do an LNER period as well. But I'm stuck in the mid 50s with the workhorses from Colwick I love so much. (I may do a named B1 at some stage :-)). Regarding slipping in ordinary 6 plank wagons (had to laugh at the way you put it),  I did the same with one or two 3H wagons before this present batch - mainly due to shortage of numbers. But you're dead right of course. Every photo you see of wooden mineral trains pre-1957 displays differences in heights not only due to the specified height of the wagon but also how much they'd worn out and pushed down on the leaf springs. The Bachmann wagons were a good start to building a rake as they pretty good for RTR but unless you use other sources, you just get a uniform height down the train and it doesn't look right. BTW do you know if anyone does a kit for the earlier 6 plank mineral wagons? I wouldn't mind a one or two of those in the rake. I could always scratch build but it takes that much longer to do. I do like the look of the Parkside wooden mineral kits. Now Peco have taken over, they seem to be no longer supplying EM or P4 wheels as Parkside used to do, if anyone's interested - but at least for EM,  the OO ones can be opened out.

Afternoon Clem,

I think that your rake looks pretty cool too, lovelly painting.

you might want to try

https://www.cambrianmodelrail.co.uk/store/Private-Owner-c25506486

or

http://www.powsides.co.uk/www.powsides.co.uk/info.php?p=4

You may find something of use.

Keeping up with the spirit of actually making things, I finished the tender for this J6 this morning. 

post-18225-0-16988000-1531329431_thumb.jpg

It's the second SE Finecast.Nu-Cast partners J6 I've built in the last few months. This one tows a LRM tender, with equally-spaced wheelbase - much more common than the asymmetric wheelbase type supplied in the kit (which does suit a few J6s). 

Why does my photography make my soldering look so blobby? The loco is yet to be properly cleaned, but the camera takes no prisoners! 

• Like 5