Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Mine got a new cab roof, with a thin metal sheet detailed with T and L section brass rather than the thick and incorrect casting. The Gibson roof is wrong in this respect too. Although it is a flat etch with an overlay for the angles, it also goes right to the edges.

I am also a bit puzzled by the whistle placement on the two kits as illustrated. I have never seen them anywhere but on top of the cab roof but maybe there is a variant I haven't seen before. Perhaps one for TW to include in his "upgrade".

Good afternoon t-b-g,

could you explain the issue with the Gibson roof in a little more detail, a photo would be great if you have one. It sounds as if it is something that I would wish to rectify during the construction of the kit.

That teak-finished non-vestibule coach on the previous page is beautifully modelled, even though it's a Thompson item!

Thank you very much Mr King,

It's not really a Thompson item, unlike Gresley, I doubt if the man himself had anything to do with the design of the carriages that we all refer to as 'Thompson'. Strip away the steel panels, and despite some dimensional differences, you have a very traditional LNER Gresley carriage underneath.

I would agree with what others have said with regard to tractors being roped on to a wagon, usualy via the buffer shanks. I don't think I've ever seen one on a Conflat, though others may have.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/saffron_walden/saffron(1961)walden_old14.jpg

Thanks Andrew,

Some time ago someone posted a picture with tractor engines on a Conflat. 

J11s? I think it does wonders for the appearance of kit built J11s if the builder takes the trouble to depart from the kit-manufacturer's usual incorrect arrangement and instead move the angle-irons in from the extreme edges of the roof, to where they really were (inboard from the edges) on the actual locos, and to carefully make the top front corners of the cab the right shape. That done, I don't think the Little engines J11 for instance gives much if anything away to the Bachmann loco in terms of appearance and it will certainly pull with a decent can motor fully hidden upright in the firebox - with no gear housing of any sort intruding unrealistically into the space that should be empty under the boiler.

Accepting reality, my thinking has already moved on from Mashima motors. What hope, if any, is there that they'll ever be manufactured again? Will those already in existence start to command ridiculous price like whining Portescaps? There are plenty of other motors to be had, very cheaply, on eBay, some of them very good. Use of them simply calls for willingness to be flexible and inventive regarding fitting arrangements.

That teak-finished non-vestibule coach on the previous page is beautifully modelled, even though it's a Thompson item!

Goof afternoon Graeme,

I've taken to using Canon's medium-sized alternative to Mashimas, married to a Comet gearbox. Not cheap (though cheaper than Mashimas), but beautifully-smooth.

Regards,

Tony. 

Goof afternoon Graeme,

I've taken to using Canon's medium-sized alternative to Mashimas, married to a Comet gearbox. Not cheap (though cheaper than Mashimas), but beautifully-smooth.

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

Is there a link to the source of the medium-sized Canon motors, please?

Though the Mitsumis are fine for small to medium locos, I would be interested in trying a Canon in something larger - 10100 'The Fell' for instance !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Goof afternoon Graeme,

Regards,

Tony.

Do you have a reference number for the Canon motors? Or a supplier?

Jason,

That link doesn't work for me.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The Wizard Models site hasn't loaded for me all day.

I have a picture of a J11 64420 at South Lynn on August 1st 1953. It is in Aspects of East Anglian Steam Volume 2. According to the BR Database site the loco was shedded at Colwick at this time.

Martyn

Martyn

Tony,

Is there a link to the source of the medium-sized Canon motors, please?

Though the Mitsumis are fine for small to medium locos, I would be interested in trying a Canon in something larger - 10100 'The Fell' for instance !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John,

I've fitted the Canon/Comet combination now in four locos of different sizes. One's gone in a 9F, another in an O2/1, a further one in a K2 and the last in a J6 (the last-mentioned was a bit of a squeeze). In every case, there's more than ample power (the 9F will take over 50 wagons - I don't have anything longer!), as will the O2. The other two never (need to) pull anything as heavy.

I don't have a serial number for the Canon motors I used (all the same) because I chuck any packaging away. However, just contact Andrew at Wizard/MSE/Comet and he'll have the motors and the appropriate gearboxes. They'll power the Fell with ease (just one of them).  

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

The Wizard Models site hasn't loaded for me all day.

I have a picture of a J11 64420 at South Lynn on August 1st 1953. It is in Aspects of East Anglian Steam Volume 2. According to the BR Database site the loco was shedded at Colwick at this time.

Martyn

Martyn

Thanks Martyn,

It probably came through Little Bytham (or from Peterborough?), so that's the 'excuse' I need to put one on the M&GNR. The timescale for the smaller railway is much more flexible (Rule 1 applies); anything from Nationalisation until the line's closure. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Agree and yet I believe the stock and locos are RTR.

I think you're right, Alan,

However, I imagine that Geoff (like you) has altered his RTR stock to make it more realistic. 

Knowing him well, his architectural modelling is unsurpassed, but, as far as I know, he's not a loco/stock builder, so exploits what the RTR trade in that department has to offer - wisely? 

However, that's not for me (as is well known) and, anyway, where could I get Thompson Pacifics straight from a box, or any big engines capable of hauling prodigious loads? Or the myriad of different coaching stock items required for LB? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

John,

I've fitted the Canon/Comet combination now in four locos of different sizes. One's gone in a 9F, another in an O2/1, a further one in a K2 and the last in a J6 (the last-mentioned was a bit of a squeeze). In every case, there's more than ample power (the 9F will take over 50 wagons - I don't have anything longer!), as will the O2. The other two never (need to) pull anything as heavy.

I don't have a serial number for the Canon motors I used (all the same) because I chuck any packaging away. However, just contact Andrew at Wizard/MSE/Comet and he'll have the motors and the appropriate gearboxes. They'll power the Fell with ease (just one of them).  

Regards,

Tony. 

I have fitted the Canon/Comet combination to a SEF J38 I have just finished.It is the quietest and smoothest drive train I have used.I haven't tested its haulage capabilities but I am confident from the "feel" of its torque that it would be fit for duty on LB.It will also move at an almost imperceptible crawl.In future this will be my preferred drive train.

Tony, it was good to meet you and Mo in Sydney and thank you again for being such an enthusiastic and involved presenter in our convention.