Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Fairly close run thing I reckon.  Looking on old OS maps there is a 310.8ft Bench Mark at about road level adjacent to a road underbridge at the south end of the old Potters Par station.  And very handily there is a 298ft Bench Mark at about road level near the road underbridge by High (sic) cottages.  

But we then add the railway topography and the line falls at 1 in 200 over the half mile+ south of Potters Bar station (57 chains from the current platform end) towards the tunnel and continues to fall at the same gradient in the tunnel.  In contrast to that the line south of the Bench Mark at High (sic) rises at 1 in 200 and continues to rise in the tunnel with the south end of the tunnel being around 60 chains south of the Bench Mark as near as I can estimate.    

On the overall gradient chart Stoke Summit appears higher than Potters Bar summit but I don't know if the published chart has an accurate vertical scale.  Overall however I would say from the known numbers (and there are no railway spot heights on the old OS maps I looked at) I would say that the south end of Stoke Tunnel is higher above sea level than the north end of Potters Bar Tunnel. (by about 15 ft according to my rough and ready calculations assuming that rail level was a similar distance above Bench Mark at each location)

So, about the same then, give or take a few feet. Should be easy to check with a GPS device on a train.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, lanchester said:

May I ask a really silly question? On the picture (previous page) from the top of Stoke Tunnel, the line of telegraph posts runs around half way up the bank. Was there any good reason for putting them in the least practicable position possible? I can see you may not want them at rail level if you don't want to run them through the bore of the tunnel (corrosion I suppose) but wouldn't you put them up at the top of the bank so that in the predictable case of maintenance or replacement being required, you've got some sort of a flat surface to work  from (not to mention, some cutting sides have been known to exhibit slippage on occasion which ain't too good for the old poles).

Sorry to interrupt - just asking!

You're not interrupting at all,

Though, in answer to your question; I have no idea. 

That's where they were on the prototype, and that's where they were put on the model. Incidentally, too many layouts have telegraph poles far too close together.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, BlackRat said:

I would imagine the letter of apology is at the instigation of the plod.......part of the restorative justice process which basically means you say sorry and avoid prosecution!

You do all realise that if nothing happens, you are able to conduct a private prosecution, for which you could sue the four accused for the value of the models destroyed, based on man-hours?

25 years at perhaps a few hours a week, times the minimum wage: £50,000 might be a reasonable starting figure for one man's loss, but you wouldn't start at that figure.  You'd start at putting a value on the distress (this is how the much-maligned litigious US lawyers would do it) and expect to negotiate down to a settlement.  So I would recommend suing the families, starting at a compensation figure of perhaps half a million pounds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 22/05/2019 at 13:41, Tony Wright said:

Returning (as usual) to kits and RTR, who'd now build a brass kit to make ex-LMS Porthole stock? 

831917426_BachmannPortholeBRmaroonBTK39-461.jpg.c8692254dafac133a081fe99d03ce963.jpg

1093303497_BachmannPortholeBRmaroonFO39-476.jpg.a21ab0fe85a9d53c3c88aca891b30a34.jpg

At last, the long-awaited maroon examples of these splendid carriages have arrived from Bachmann. How long before we get the same livery on the Thompsons? 

Been catching up with things. Maroon ones are long overdue. Why it takes Bachmann so long to do the most obvious livery beats me. Perhaps they think they will get more sales of crimson and cream by doing that livery and then waiting years for maroon. 

They look to have the same fault as the crimson and cream ones in that they sit rather low on their bogies - check the buffer height. Otherwise, they are very good models.

From the current Hornby Engine Shed blog.

What appear to be revised Hornby Gresley Corridor Coaches with a much better Tumblehome . Time will tell if they are , nice to see a much better Teak finish as well.

es-teak-coaches-3.jpg

es-teak-coaches-2.jpg

es-teak-coaches-1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, grahame said:

There were certainly crowds at Victoria for leaving and returning but I don't recall much en route - too busy enjoying myself, eating, drinking and chatting - although there were certainly some spectators. But it was early January so in the depths of winter and some of the return run was in the dark. There were four of us in a private eating room/compartment - very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed it and we're thinking about doing it again.

G

I have to admit I have never really understood the allure of long distance steam journeys (particularly at speed) over diesel or electric. I travelled a fair bit in India 30 years or so ago and found it difficult to tell the difference between steam and other forms of traction .... apart from having to keep the windows shut to retain a semblence of cleanliness.

Shortish journeys (particularly on curvy track) yes ....with stops to look at the loco .... but long journeys seem much more about the rolling stock and the company than about what does the pulling.

Standing on the lineside and watching the thing go past is of course a whole different kettle of fish. Am I in a minority here?

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Been catching up with things. Maroon ones are long overdue. Why it takes Bachmann so long to do the most obvious livery beats me. Perhaps they think they will get more sales of crimson and cream by doing that livery and then waiting years for maroon. 

They look to have the same fault as the crimson and cream ones in that they sit rather low on their bogies - check the buffer height. Otherwise, they are very good models.

I think they do sit rather low on their bogies, Robert,

Though that's the opposite of what used to be the case, where too many RTR vehicles sat too high. I think it's easy enough to raise them up - just a large-diameter washer placed around the bogie pivots.

It's interesting why some 'certain-to-sell' liveries are kept until the last, so to speak. I think it's true to say that these Porthole cars were built in the main by BR, and, thus, very few carried post-War LMS maroon. By 1956/'57, many would have been repainted in maroon, and later on the roundel would be added. A few (how many?) received British Rail blue/grey. 

Could it be that if BR maroon had been the first colour chosen (as the most-popular?), then any subsequent carmine/cream releases would have been poor sellers? Is that the same reason why the Thompson cars are yet to be released in maroon? 

With regard to the Heljan O2/3 and O2/4 models, it would seem that most buyers would have preferred an O2/2 as a starting point, wih GN cab and GN tender. I had the 'prototype' models of the earlier type here for assessment and test, but nothing seems to have come of these. Did the O2/3s not sell well enough? I'm not privy to any information in that regard. 

It would seem then that any 'less-popular' RTR manifestations are the first to be released, though in the case of the Bachmann Mk.1s all those years ago, the BR carmine/cream ones and the BR maroon ones came out at much the same time; maybe the maroon ones first.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, micklner said:

From the current Hornby Engine Shed blog.

What appear to be revised Hornby Gresley Corridor Coaches with a much better Tumblehome . Time will tell if they are , nice to see a much better Teak finish as well.

es-teak-coaches-3.jpg

es-teak-coaches-2.jpg

es-teak-coaches-1.jpg

Interesting,

Thanks Mick,

Interesting as well that Wright Writes has now got 1,400 pages!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

You do all realise that if nothing happens, you are able to conduct a private prosecution, for which you could sue the four accused for the value of the models destroyed, based on man-hours?

25 years at perhaps a few hours a week, times the minimum wage: £50,000 might be a reasonable starting figure for one man's loss, but you wouldn't start at that figure.  You'd start at putting a value on the distress (this is how the much-maligned litigious US lawyers would do it) and expect to negotiate down to a settlement.  So I would recommend suing the families, starting at a compensation figure of perhaps half a million pounds.

Food for thought..........................

Many thanks.

4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I think they do sit rather low on their bogies, Robert,

Though that's the opposite of what used to be the case, where too many RTR vehicles sat too high. I think it's easy enough to raise them up - just a large-diameter washer placed around the bogie pivots.

I have raised up all my crimson and cream ones with some plastic on the underframe which works as well.

Bachmann porthole and Hornby Hawksworth:

34962992403_d2fb0af73b_z.jpgP1070394am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Bachmann porthole and the underframe from the Bachmann inspection saloon:

34962994443_07cebce580_z.jpgP1070393am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

One of five carriages (not cars) and one twin currently going through the paintshops. Also a brass sided Thompson CL, what a doddle BR crimson is, you can solder on all the door furniture prior to painting. I find it rather odd that people are propping up the bogies on their plastic carriages. Generally, RTR carriages are one or two mm to high to start with, attempts have been made to improve them, funny that the work to improve them is being undone.

Gresley 8 compartment TK turnbuckle underframe.jpg

Thompson CL BR Crimson .jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

7 hours ago, Headstock said:

One of five carriages (not cars) and one twin currently going through the paintshops. Also a brass sided Thompson CL, what a doddle BR crimson is, you can solder on all the door furniture prior to painting. I find it rather odd that people are propping up the bogies on their plastic carriages. Generally, RTR carriages are one or two mm to high to start with, attempts have been made to improve them, funny that the work to improve them is being undone.

Gresley 8 compartment TK turnbuckle underframe.jpg

Thompson CL BR Crimson .jpg

Beautiful work, as always Andrew,

Thanks for showing us.

One or two points if I may.....................?

Most 'modern' RTR carriages in OO would appear to ride at or very near to the correct height nowadays, and I think the Bachmann Porthole stock is a bit low. 

On the Gresley TK, it would appear that the bogie wheels have holes in them. Is this correct? I've never seen a reference to Gresley carriages' wheels having holes in them. I must have missed something. Not wishing to 'offend' you, have you used Hornby wheels? I think there might be holes in those. 

Finally, I think the full description of the Thompson non-gangwayed carriage (BR-built?) is Semi Corridor Lavatory Composite.

Regards,

Tony.  

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

However, Rule 1 applies when suing for compensation:  Even if you win, If they 'aint got it, you can't have it.  (With apologies to Tony for the use of the word "'aint")

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

For some reason the Bachmann Commonwealth bogie produces a coach which is "high" when fitted to the Mk1.

While the Bachmann Maroon Stanier stock looks fine I will stick to my kit building for ex LMS coaches...they just feel better..and  I like a variety of Coaches.

A few Stanier BTK, CK coaches and  a lot of Stanier sleeping cars and BGs made it into Blue grey. There is a BTK (or rather a brake second) and a CK on Shap as the "Boss" had a few pictures 9f trains in 1967 with these in the formations.

Isn't it interesting how a chance comment produces a tangential response? 

Regarding the ride-height of modern (OO) RTR stock, perhaps the following examples might be of interest. I'm not commenting, other than to state that most seem to ride at about or near the correct height. 

Not only that, aren't we wonderfully-blessed with what's available now?

288983316_BachmannBRAutoTrailermaroon39-57601.jpg.c1bb57ac5f7e810a76ab0ab91a216fc9.jpg

1506659966_BachmannLMSInspectionSaloon39-77501.jpg.87091770d612a43d37686a9a8de1209c.jpg

1434442909_BachmannMk_1Mk.jpg.e6e1040438c03d4f15ef535ba9513ba4.jpg

1447929007_BachmannMk.jpg.7fc130ddfd5f70761c9ec817aa64b841.jpg

367777960_BachmannPortholestock39-45501.jpg.a9cf4f54f5938bb83e752fe695b46462.jpg

854491996_BachmannThompsonBG34-654C.jpg.ce1046b2d726e3d511dd566d4d4fe084.jpg

1983101567_BachmannThompsonBTK0134-46101.jpg.0822c50a9fdcb5dddee25c47139b8bda.jpg

143329398_BachmannThompsonTK34-38601.jpg.3dd35fd4cf98d454d9126f325120346a.jpg

515240303_BachmannTPO01.jpg.081a09c6a45bdad35ed84f25890e3b48.jpg

1692942560_BachmannweatheredMk.jpg.1634ea80e8f0823b23eac13d72862fa4.jpg

276589891_BrightonBelle06.jpg.8d1cafe6a8fda76d654aed9bcb9f6079.jpg

139293584_BrightonBelle12.jpg.adec554013da72d610329c8bc6159de9.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

However, Rule 1 applies when suing for compensation:  Even if you win, If they 'aint got it, you can't have it.  (With apologies to Tony for the use of the word "'aint")

In that case community service ‘costed’ at the minimum wage until the debt is paid off. The work should be strenuous and not some soft option.

With apologies to Tony, as I know there is another thread for this but my blood is still dangerously near boiling point!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Is it not an interesting paradox, that the lack of a maroon livery for Bachmann’s Thompson coaches seems to be causing so much frustration?  In a thread where ‘doing some modelling’ and creating items of individual character is so strongly advocated, surely the prospect of a straightforward repaint is not that daunting?

I wonder whether anyone has actually done this... or is everyone just waiting for Bachmann to release their mass-produced RTR versions, whenever?

Re: Locomotive and rolling stock liveries.

Please excuse a question to this august forum.

There appear to me to be three reasons for 'painting and decorating' railway stock in any era:-

1 - Protection and preservation of constructional materials

2 - Advertisement

3 - To demonstrate pride in craftsmanship.

Can anyone think of any other reasons?

10 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Re: Locomotive and rolling stock liveries.

Please excuse a question to this august forum.

There appear to me to be three reasons for 'painting and decorating' railway stock in any era:-

1 - Protection and preservation of constructional materials

2 - Advertisement

3 - To demonstrate pride in craftsmanship.

Can anyone think of any other reasons?

Corporate branding

Social messaging (i.e. watch out thieves about, poppy appeal, etc) 

Camouflage (i.e. wartime)

34 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Is it not an interesting paradox, that the lack of a maroon livery for Bachmann’s Thompson coaches seems to be causing so much frustration?  In a thread where ‘doing some modelling’ and creating items of individual character is so strongly advocated, surely the prospect of a straightforward repaint is not that daunting?

I wonder whether anyone has actually done this... or is everyone just waiting for Bachmann to release their mass-produced RTR versions, whenever?

I don't think it's causing that much frustration, Phil,

Personally, I haven't tried dismantling a Bachmann Thompson to repaint it in maroon - I have no need, having built umpteen from kits and painted them in maroon. 

No doubt, when they do appear in maroon any frustrations will disappear. 

Regards,

Tony. 

15 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Just to add the Bank Hall Jubilee in Tony's photo above was more than likely on the daily Liverpool Exchange - Newcastle train and went via Castleford (avoiding Leeds). I'm not sure if this also stopped at Wigan Wallgate back then, or did it go via the Pemberton loop line avoiding Wigan ?

I wonder if this was my favourite Bank Hall jub 45698 Mars - which hauled us one day on the 17-05 Manchester Victoria to Southport Express, doing the journey to Wigan Wallgate non stop in under 20 minutes !!

Brit15

Its Definately Mars. And it’s time’s like these I wish I could call on my old friend Jimmy Carlin who was a fireman and driver at Bank hall and went as far as York in those days and would have been able to tell us. He used to recall that he drove Mars when she had the Fowler and also when she had the Stanier tender later.

He would often jokingly say that when he was at York he would look and admire those massive eastern engines and say to himself that the tenders on those eastern region engines were bloody bigger than the locos they had at Bank Hall!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Beautiful work, as always Andrew,

Thanks for showing us.

One or two points if I may.....................?

Most 'modern' RTR carriages in OO would appear to ride at or very near to the correct height nowadays, and I think the Bachmann Porthole stock is a bit low. 

On the Gresley TK, it would appear that the bogie wheels have holes in them. Is this correct? I've never seen a reference to Gresley carriages' wheels having holes in them. I must have missed something. Not wishing to 'offend' you, have you used Hornby wheels? I think there might be holes in those. 

Finally, I think the full description of the Thompson non-gangwayed carriage (BR-built?) is Semi Corridor Lavatory Composite.

Regards,

Tony.  

Morning Tony,

Have you actually measured up any off your collection of RTR carriages, or just guessing?

It's easy to fill up the holes. They ride so well that their performance on hand built track is as good as the alternatives, providing you set the back to backs correctly. Given my limited time remaining as a participant in the Hobby, they are just not worth the cost of changing. As you have enthusiastically advertised, it is a hobby that is about buying shinny new product. Awaiting a new livery from a manufacturer is a rather sad state of affairs, not for me.

Semi corridor lavatory composite is the full description in the diagram books but not as a telegraph code as recorded in the instructions for the formation and working of carriage sets. I have used the telegraph code. It is listed in the latter under non gangway vehicles as opposed to the sub category of non corridor. Semi corridor is not used.