Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Tony interesting cleaning vehicle food for thought there.

I’ve noticed with the K3 and what may have stopped me all those years back is the cab, in the instructions it mentions that they had six different cabs , the kit only comes with one which with the comment that it’s a typical cab ! compared to the Wills kit it seems two or three mm smaller with handrail holes over the top of the cab and the windows seem smaller to ! I’ll have to scratch my head as to the best way to proceed.  Dennis 

If you know anyone who's built the SEF kit, it has etches for all the variants (were there really 6?) .  There have to be spares, you can only fit one cab per loco. 

Handrail knobs above the windows means the NER cab, which the GN crews complained bitterly about and succeeded in having changed.

spacer.png

This is one such grafted onto a Bachmann body.   Tony did the same conversion in BRM  - it came out a few days after I took the picture above.

If the supplied cab is wrong then begging, borrowing, stealing or even buying a replacement is probably worthwhile.  Dave Ellis will supply the etch separately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the picture of your track cleaner Tony, it's given me ideas as I've got a spare ABS Warflat that doesn't get run much. How do you mount the hardboard, us it sprung.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

If you know anyone who's built the SEF kit, it has etches for all the variants (were there really 6?) .  There have to be spares, you can only fit one cab per loco. 

Handrail knobs above the windows means the NER cab, which the GN crews complained bitterly about and succeeded in having changed.

spacer.png

This is one such grafted onto a Bachmann body.   Tony did the same conversion in BRM  - it came out a few days after I took the picture above.

If the supplied cab is wrong then begging, borrowing, stealing or even buying a replacement is probably worthwhile.  Dave Ellis will supply the etch separately.

Thanks for the input any idea on the best way to contact Dave Ellis in this current climate .

Dennis 

• RMweb Premium

Regarding 'white' windows on LNER coaches, I have sometimes been involved with the LNER Society's assistance to the NRM in cataloguing  their drawings collection.  It's fascinating and you come across all sorts of stuff.

One set of drawings was for a Buffet Car and included a document entitled "List of Articles Required for Buffet Car".  This section details the glass needed for the windows, with their sizes and the number of each required:

IMG_2152.jpg.a922b41d9b0b09a8e6a2c3848dd9eb44.jpg

I'm assuming "Polished Plate" is the clear glass for the normal windows and droplights, but it also mentions "Arctic" which I assume is the 'white' glass, as well as "Obscured" (for one window) and 'Wiretex" for two windows - I imagine this would be the kind of glass that incorporates a wire mesh.

When looking at photos whilst making model coaches, it seems that the amount of 'obscurity' in the glass varies, for example with Buffet Cars you can sometimes see the back of the bar counter and fittings through the window (dimly) but on others this window is white and likewise on the corridor side you can sometimes make out the corridor handrail through the obscured glass, but again sometimes these windows are completely opaque.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks for the picture of your track cleaner Tony, it's given me ideas as I've got a spare ABS Warflat that doesn't get run much. How do you mount the hardboard, us it sprung.

Jamie

It's not sprung, Jamie,

It works just by gravity.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

spacer.png

It was a more complicated conversion, Jonathan,

1645815876_K361812.jpg.752377a9821cc7e73ec630c19c47b82c.jpg

One thing I couldn't tolerate were the underscale Bachmann driving wheels. I thus made a SE Finecast chassis to go underneath the Bachmann body, fitted the earlier style of side-window cab (spare SEF), altered it to RH drive and built an LRM GN tender. The drivers are still a twitch under-size (the Bachmann footplate is rather thick mazak which restricts clearances). I also used the (modified) Bachmann valve gear. I made the front steps from brass scrap.

K3 cabs? From memory, you get four in the SEF kit - original GN, the NER-style (which you mention), the revised (earlier) style of side-window cab and the later, longer one, with more-square windows (the Bachmann type). 

You're right, Dave Ellis of SEF will supply the etches for the cabs as separate items, though if he's still at 'work' (in Forest Row) I don't know. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, D.Platt said:

Thanks for that Tony interesting cleaning vehicle food for thought there.

I’ve noticed with the K3 and what may have stopped me all those years back is the cab, in the instructions it mentions that they had six different cabs , the kit only comes with one which with the comment that it’s a typical cab ! compared to the Wills kit it seems two or three mm smaller with handrail holes over the top of the cab and the windows seem smaller to ! I’ll have to scratch my head as to the best way to proceed.  Dennis 

The cab looks fine for the 'earlier' side-window sort, Dennis,

Though it shouldn't have handrails above the windows. What you've got is a bit of a hybrid, and you'll need to fill the top holes with solder. The NER K3 cabs had handrails above the windows, but the windows were much lower.

From looking at your model, it'll suit the earlier K3s, with right-hand drive. Just like Tony Geary's model.

Regards,

Tony. 

Busy as ever Jamie?

On the topic of Darlington designed K3 cabs, prior to the final group-standard version with long sides and flat topped windows, do we need to be careful?

My impression is that there were three variants of that NE inspired sub-family of cab:

1. Original, purely NE type with low side windows and hand rail above.

2.. Windows raised about 3" to try to address complaints from crews (especially outside of the NE area) of windows being too low down, this type still with handrails above windows.

3. Cab windows raised about 6" in response to continuing complaints, leaving no room for hand rails above.

The remaining three types were the original GN wrap-over type, the short-lived A1/A3 style on a small batch of K3s (the cut out around the driver's shoulder causing complaints of cold draughts from those not accustomed to "rather basic" GN cabs) and the eventual group-standard type with straight rear edge (and longer sides enclosing nothing but an extra 5" of firebox).

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Thanks for the input any idea on the best way to contact Dave Ellis in this current climate .

Dennis 

8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

You're right, Dave Ellis of SEF will supply the etches for the cabs as separate items, though if he's still at 'work' (in Forest Row) I don't know. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Dennis and Tony,

Dave is still up and running and supplying via mail order - I ordered a Fowler Tender Kit for one of Dave's LMS Scot Kits (part of Strategic Reserve). Is that a sag I see in the Kitchen ceiling?

Contact details and address are here - no on-line ordering:

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/

HTH

Brian

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gr.king said:

Busy as ever Jamie?

On the topic of Darlington designed K3 cabs, prior to the final group-standard version with long sides and flat topped windows, do we need to be careful?

My impression is that there were three variants of that NE inspired sub-family of cab:

2.. Windows raised about 3" to try to address complaints from crews (especially outside of the NE area) of windows being too low down, this type still with handrails above windows.

3. Cab windows raised about 6" in response to continuing complaints, leaving no room for hand rails above.

The remaining three types were the original GN wrap-over type, the short-lived A1/A3 style on a small batch of K3s (the cut out around the driver's shoulder causing complaints of cold draughts from those not accustomed to "rather basic" GN cabs) and the eventual group-standard type with straight rear edge (and longer sides enclosing nothing but an extra 5" of firebox).

From RCTS it would appear that the 3" became extinct fairly early on, being further changed to the 6" version. From measurement I have concluded that SEF does not provided for the 6" cab modification.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gr.king said:

Busy as ever Jamie?

Thanks Graeme,

We certainly do need to be careful (and I wasn't careful enough). 

Looking again at the cab on Dennis' Anchorage K3 it looks to be the one attached to Nos. 135 to 231 as built. I'm taking this information from page 101 of Part 6A of the RCTS green series, where six different drawings of K3 cabs are shown. It would seem to me that by just filling in the top holes for handrails, a BR period K3 could be represented (if one can live with the 2mm!). It could well be that Tony Geary did this (unless Anchorage produced other cabs). 

Certainly, by later-LNER/BR days there were just two K3 cabs. the 'earlier' style side-window cab, with rounded-topped (ecclesiastical?) windows (drawing D in the green book representing Nos. 17-231 from 1930) and the 1300 Series onwards, from 1930, with square-topped windows (rounded corners; drawing F in the green book). This latter, longer, cab is the type produced by Bachmann. 

A few examples.........1532958798_K361800Doncaster.jpg.bd37a3ec303762966b68c0298b08fad9.jpg

The first one. It would seem that those K3s built with the original GN-style cab received later-style side-window ones. GN buffers, right-hand drive and stepped-out GS tender. 

1269157619_K361809Doncaster21_10_60.jpg.4ce9738b0569147353a8fd8f45f1d47b.jpg

Identical to 61800. Would anyone model a dent in the boiler cladding like this? Some earlier-build K3s later received left-hand drive. 

1812560205_K361812Retford11_08_61.jpg.7eb9f9f7bedc6b3a02a2b4ea34f83ff2.jpg

Abandoned at Retford in 1961. Group standard buffers and GN tender. Diagonal strip still in place on spectacles in earlier-style side-window cab. 

This is the one (below) I based the model I made on. 

1777308205_K319.jpg.fcd5054e7e31f2cbd8acfb176f713ef1.jpg

485325347_K361859Sheffield23_08_58.jpg.3f52a936fda86ad95f55a96936fa7392.jpg

Another (identical) K3 with GN tender.

1466362280_K361828Retford4.4_58.jpg.2e561fa25ea655d91a2765f79b646199.jpg

RH drive, earlier-style cab (with no diagonal strip in the spectacles), straight-sided tender.

1891162982_K361835March05_0558.jpg.d2650a0741c3144e121f6f8b5003d568.jpg

The same, but with stepped-out tender.

2024378403_K361873March25_04_54.jpg.c9d1b88e8fd39ccd247613caa7daf822.jpg

Later series with longer cab and LH drive. 

1828942651_K361945SelbyShed30_07_55.jpg.9201155244acf23ac66ab67e4a82c0d4.jpg

The same as the previous one.

1900175254_SEFinecastK361825.jpg.096486b5476a471064a13d03b458d8fb.jpg

One of my SE Finecast K3 models. Earlier-style cab, RH drive, flush-sided tender. 448388915_K3rebuild06.jpg.549a95824348e82df226ed3646e56b31.jpg

Another of my SE Finecast K3s (a rebuild after acquiring the model from a friend). Later-style, longer cab (and I should have removed the diagonal spectacle strip - ah, those joys of loco-picking!), LH drive and flush-sided (original Wills) tender. 

Please, all, observe copyright restrictions. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Just wanted to say Tony, your photos of Arun Quay in the latest BRM are stunning.  Having seen the real thing they really do it justice.  Why Gordon Gravett should say some won't think it qualifies as a proper model railway, I'm not sure.  Perhaps because it's a fictional location?  I could understand if there was debate as to whether it crosses the boundary from model trains to fine art; I know which side of boundary I think it sits. 

Rob

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone’s input regarding the K3 and to you Tony for your photos I have two loco numbers in mind these being 61800 and 61848 which I have photos of and I have underlined ! 

I will go down the route of ordering off Dave fingers crossed he can supply at this time ,meanwhile I’ll carry on with completing the chassis, tender and removing the cab.

Dennis 

• Friendly/supportive 1

One of my favourite K3 images, crying out to be modelled. 61800 at Nottingham Victoria with the Fish, ex Grimsby. The locomotive shows an abundance of features spanning the history of the class. GN buffers, NER inspired group standard tender, Group standard cab, right-hand drive amongst other features. Also, a glorious proliferation of curly sixes. There are also some nice sliding door vans behind the ex SR vanfit, a raft of 10' and some 12' wb fish vans and 10' wb non vent vans in fish traffic service. The latter have 'Fish plates' fitted to their doors.

61800 Nottingham Victoria Fish.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

To keep me balanced (if not sane) during my current control wiring problems, I have been upgrading some LNER Dia. 6 CCTs

(Sorry for my poor photography! Here is the most interesting of a bad bunch.)

Two Parkside and one Hornby, all slightly modified.

Post_05a.JPG

Post_06a.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

Thanks for the K3 pictures - all very informative. How about a ‘book of the K3s’ to follow your B1 tomes?!

Andy

Possibly, Andy,

There are fewer of them than the B1s.

I'm sorting through the B1 pictures in readiness for writing the 'book of', but it's taking a lot of time. Actually, time which I have! 

Regards,

Tony.