Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Tony,

As I said to you when I had the pleasure of visiting Little Bytham, the overall scene, the consistent and extremely high standard of modelling throughout and the (almost) faultless operation mean that the fact it is 'narrow gauge' matters not one jot. The fine standard of the trackwork with its scale depth rail and fine flangeways means that the narrowness of the gauge is not noticeable. The only indication that it is an 00 layout is when you look closely at the wheel flanges and tyre width and that is not something that it really makes sense to do when viewing something as almost mesmerising as is LB. And that from a committed (as some people readily believe I should be!) S7 modeller. If I thought that I could ever achieve something nearly as good as LB I would be very happy.

Dave

That's very kind of you Dave,

Coming from a modeller of your ability your comments mean a lot. They'll mean a lot to the team members who built Little Bytham as well. Without them I would have achieved nothing.

And, I've found a way to make the operation/running of LB faultless. I'll just leave it to others. I'm the dud in that respect!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, D.Platt said:

Afternoon All

Blink and you miss three or four pages , didn’t Doncaster works overhaul the western Britannia’s in the early sixties?

Dennis 

Don't quote me on this Dennis, but I think Swindon repaired the WR-allocated Britannias. 

Doncaster certainly repaired the ER-allocated ones, meaning that from time to time they could well appear at Little Bytham, on a running-in turn. 

Like this........

599706705_DJHBritannia70003.jpg.758e7165f0fc4ff2e1b3e8d681906353.jpg

Built from a DJH kit - started by Bob Alderman (poor Bob can no longer build anything), completed/detailed by me and painted by Ian Rathbone.

Eventually Crewe did all the Brit shoppings. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, davidw said:

To be honest Tony, I've always delighted in seeing what your working on. And still view the activity media DVD's from time to time. So please do keep showing your work.

in my new profession COVID-19 means I'm busier than ever. Checking up on those not on line and uploading resources for others. Meaning personally I've not had much time to model.

However, I've been putting several of the latest Bachmann Thompsons "through the shops" and altering the crimson cream stock into maroon (why are Bachmann are so slow to offer them in this livery).  Four of mine now have etched sides, creating a rake of two SK's, a pantry 3rd and an RF. I've two BCK's and an FK in the to do pile. Not sure what they'll become - though one BCK  will probably be an SK  with ladies retiring for the post '59 Heart of Midlothian.  Do you or anyone else know if Southern Pride still trading to obtain the SK with ladies retiring sides?

I'll try to get pictures up later.

Good afternoon David,

Please keep up the good work.

I haven't been in touch with Dave Lewis of Southern Pride for a long time now, so I have no idea if he's still trading.

Others on here might know. 

Regards,

Tony. 

8 hours ago, lee74clarke said:

Good Morning Tony,

Good to see you briefly on Saturday, at a greater distance than the minimum advised, I should add.  Bytham looking great, I was looking forward to seeing the new overbridge, hopefully that will be possible again soon. 

Did you receive info I sent you on PM?

Best Wishes

Lee

Sorry to be so late in responding Lee,

I had nothing in my PM box. Just push it through the door if you wish (Mo's got lots of wipes!). 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

`Tony,

Going back almost a month and 37 pages, I have tracked down some Romford crankpin washers. Here they are in position on one side of 60154, Bon Accord’s tender. She will be my engine for the ‘Night Scotsman’ as one of the two Gateshead roller bearing examples seemed to be ever present on that train during the 1950’s.

686A061F-6C3B-435F-B6AA-47D192369D4C.jpeg.92fe653c175249ee3b9743ebe2f68721.jpeg

I suspect having re-read your post that these are the retaining ones rather than the spacing ones. They are slightly smaller in diameter and thicker in depth than the last ones I used. The depth seems fine, but the diameter is a little small compared with prototype pictures, but I think they’re probably the best I can do in the absence of any other source - do you have any comments?

Should anyone want some they come in packs of 10 (just right for converting a roller bearing A1) for £1.50 from 247 developments.

Andy

I think they might protrude a bit too much Andy,

I'd be tempted to solder them in place and then file them down a bit (though I can't see how far they stick out from your picture). 

Here's BON ACCORD's sister.....1876683334_6015502.jpg.a0d0e7d4970a5d36cf4c96dc5dbfff05.jpg

1094096592_601550nUpNewcastle02.jpg.920a3c1c4c0461954c97dfed735174c0.jpg

It's a DJH kit which was started by Phil (Mallard) and rather abandoned. I built the chassis for it and finished it off; after which Ian Rathbone painted it. 

This is the wrong side for showing it, but it only has one lubricator.

Doesn't that distant bridge I built now look wrong? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, westerner said:

. . . . some trees, In fact 2 of 5. They have been made by me from plants grown in my garden Sedum to be exact which were harvested in the autumn and allowed to dry out in the garage. The were then bundled together bark applied. One has been foliated and the other is awaiting leaves. They are in 7mmscale about 40-45ft tall.

Interesting. Tell us more about making them. Doesn't it get brittle when it dries out? What paint, leaves and bark is used and how applied?

2 hours ago, westerner said:

Grahame,

I have used this method on my OO gauge layouts Wencombe and Kingsbridge Regis They last over 10 years and when I broke up those layouts they were passed on (ie sold with the rest of the OO stuff.

the first two sedum heads are selected

173819093_sedumtrees1.jpg.89de9beb1d3c8e8be4643c39731bdcac.jpg

They are then buddle together with masking tape.

1304308484_sedumtrees2.jpg.b70ddc49cbbec8869690e7697304fc4a.jpg

others are added until a decent canopy has been made and length of OO rail glued up one of the stems to plant the tree. here are 3 that have reached that stage

1045040036_sedumtrees3.jpg.f4229f39ea8da0be2b2cafc5c741e9ba.jpg

The stems and masking tape were the coated with Green Scenes flexi-bark which dries a dull gey colour. The trunk was the looked at and any areas where it was obvious there was tape underneath was coated with filler and then smoothed. They were then given another coat of the flexi-bark. For some trees that might be all one has to do. But on my exercise walks I pass a lot of trees (luckily I live in the countryside) I noticed that most trunks were a dull silvery/grey/green colour so the trunks and lower branches were given quite watery washes of alternately Humbrol Khaki (26) and Tamiya Flat Green acrylics. Foliage for the first one is Noch 07301 Leafy Foliage dark green. I may experiment with the other 4. I may even cut down the trunks a bit.

All these bits are in my thread in the 7mm section "A change of Size and Direction Blakeney (Glos.)

sedum trees 4.jpg

Thanks for showing us Alan,

Just the stuff required these days.

Regards,

Tony. 

P.S. I've not been walking today - just sloshing gallons of Cuprinol on LB's home! I'm kn*ckered! It certainly makes a change from modelling/photography/writing and I certainly have the time......

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Dear All,

Im  into a rhythm at work now so doesn’t seem so daunting. As well as apparently ordering everything, a large group of people are ordering their repeat prescription and having us delivery it then ordering something they’ve missed or forgotten to order the next day. Sometimes it’s something they haven’t had for a couple of years. Admittedly Some times it is the surgery’s fault. It Is infuriating what ever the cause especially as it’s a service more people are needing at the moment. 

Im looking forward to the weekend like I haven’t for a long time!

Obviously no exhibition to go to but may be able to do a bit of modelling in the garden.

Keep safe and be sensible. 

Robert

• Friendly/supportive 11

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The Kings lasted until early '63 at Canton, by which time they were dropping like flies with broken frames from overwork on the South Wales route and the Birmingham 2 hour expresses.  They were replaced by new Hymeks, which were thrashed to death to keep time even on the generous South Wales timings; South Wales trains could load up to 14 bogies without assistance between Severn Tunnel bottom and Badminton on the up, a slog that prevented much in the way of speed even with 8P steam power!

Here's Britannia herself making good progress out of the Severn Tunnel towards Cardiff - As good as a King ? (I don't know).

Brit15

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Butt in on a modelling thread? 

Please do, every time, when it's a subject so important. Thank you.

Unfortunately we have a situation now which I refer to as 'The revenge of the D stream'. For too long excuses have been made for the dimwits in society who are either too selfish or too thick to understand the ramifications of their actions. 

Or is that politically-incorrect? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Another D word I can think of is ‘despicable’ 

Some of the behaviour I’ve been hearing about Is unbelievable .  I don’t know what stream the perpetrators  were in but it does make you despair.

When this thing is over I really do what to self isolate, for a very long time.

Sorry for going on but I really do have to get things of my chest

Goodnight

Robert

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Don't quote me on this Dennis, but I think Swindon repaired the WR-allocated Britannias. 

Doncaster certainly repaired the ER-allocated ones, meaning that from time to time they could well appear at Little Bytham, on a running-in turn. 

Like this........

599706705_DJHBritannia70003.jpg.758e7165f0fc4ff2e1b3e8d681906353.jpg

Built from a DJH kit - started by Bob Alderman (poor Bob can no longer build anything), completed/detailed by me and painted by Ian Rathbone.

Eventually Crewe did all the Brit shoppings. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

Following the recent discussion of named locos, that is one that sends shivers down my spine. John Bunyan, rebel priest from Elstow  just south of Bedford. Half of Bedford is John Bunyan this John Bunyan that. No problem with that. His book a Pilgrim's Progress inspired the hymn To Be A Pilgrim is what comes to mind seeing his name on anything. Monday morning school assembly first hymn, To Be A Pilgrim, all five years of my secondary education.

We had a new music teacher, she only stayed a couple of years and told a small group of us,  just before she left, when she first started at the school she was instructed that she was not allowed to change the first hymn on a Monday morning. I think she liked it as much as we did.

I know you like churches and Elstow Church, where Bunyan was born is worth a visit as it is one of the few churches in England with a free standing bell tower.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I haven't been in touch with Dave Lewis of Southern Pride for a long time now, so I have no idea if he's still trading.

Others on here might know. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Their website: http://www.southernpridemodels.co.uk/ shows (and I wish more would do this!) that it was last updated on 17 March 2020 so it seems reasonable to assume so.

I have made a couple of SP coaches over the years (and still have a Tavern Car to finish when the hit-and-miss circumstances of my modelling capacity allows) and found them good, comparatively straightforward, and in particular having pretty decent instructions, which makes them very suitable for - perhaps not the complete novice - but certainly anyone who has built a few Parkside or Dapol wagons should find them an accessible next step.  It is a shame they don't get more publicity, but perhaps Mr Lewis prefers it that way, as some smaller suppliers do to keep their workload manageable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

Their website: http://www.southernpridemodels.co.uk/ shows (and I wish more would do this!) that it was last updated on 17 March 2020 so it seems reasonable to assume so.

I have made a couple of SP coaches over the years (and still have a Tavern Car to finish when the hit-and-miss circumstances of my modelling capacity allows) and found them good, comparatively straightforward, and in particular having pretty decent instructions, which makes them very suitable for - perhaps not the complete novice - but certainly anyone who has built a few Parkside or Dapol wagons should find them an accessible next step.  It is a shame they don't get more publicity, but perhaps Mr Lewis prefers it that way, as some smaller suppliers do to keep their workload manageable.

Thank you most helpful

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, davidw said:

Thank you most helpful

David,

I’ve always found Southern Pride excellent. Dave is old school so you have to send a cheque, but he turns it round quickly and his stuff is very good vfm. It’s worth emailing him first to check that everything is in stock.

I’ve made the whole Elizabethan rake of his, plus a few mark 1s (mainly BSOs before Hornby did their version) and some other Thompson catering cars. Still got a couple of Gresley artics and the Cravens mark 1 prototypes to build. Highly recommended. 

His interior seats and tables are also worth considering.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I think they might protrude a bit too much Andy,

I'd be tempted to solder them in place and then file them down a bit (though I can't see how far they stick out from your picture). 

Here's BON ACCORD's sister.....

It's a DJH kit which was started by Phil (Mallard) and rather abandoned. I built the chassis for it and finished it off; after which Ian Rathbone painted it. 

This is the wrong side for showing it, but it only has one lubricator.

Doesn't that distant bridge I built now look wrong? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony, 

I think you’re right. They’re already soldered in place. I think I’ll round them off at the edges as the prototypes were rounded.

Mine is also a DJH kit - another eBay purchase ready built I’m afraid, but for £78 with a (fairly quiet) Portescap I don’t think I could go wrong. I’ve renumbered it and I’m sorting out some detail (lamp irons etc.) as well as the roller bearing stuff.

The bridge never looked wrong before, but it certainly looks tall now. The new one is a big improvement.

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Woodcock29 said:

I've recently started to build some GN somersault signals for the new 'Spirsby' layout I'm providing stock and some other items for, including signals and a signal box.

I'm using MSE components. For the trial build I've used brass 0.33 mm wire for the operating wires but intend to replace this with fine steel wire when I reassemble it after painting, which is currently in progress. It might seem odd that the lever and balance weight are on the front of the post but I have seen photos of such arrangements. I think then next ones will have these on the side.

For this post I used the recommended approach and made the post as two L sections by folding as designed. However, I'm not convinced this looks the best so I've separated the others into individual sides fore the remaining builds, even if it is a bit more fiddly.

Tony Gee - I'm wondering what mechanism you have used to operate the signals on the M&GN section of LB?

Andrew

IMG_0190 ps.jpg

IMG_0193 ps.jpg

Lovely work. I do like a nice somersault  signal. I shall need some for myself soon but not GNR ones. Out of interest I use 0.4mm nickel silver wire for the operating rods. It is easier to work with than steel but stiffer than brass. I also solder wire in the outside corners of the folded etch, cut to fit between the tabs. It can then be filed square and makes the corners look a bit neater but it is guilding a lily and a fair bit of work for a small improvement.

The mechanisms  on LB are servos worked from GF Controls drive boards. I find their twin board very easy to use and reliable. It really is a "plug and play" device needing a power supply and an on/off switch. 

Edited by t-b-g
  • Informative/Useful 5

4 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Lovely work. I do like a nice somersault  signal. I shall need some for myself soon but not GNR ones. Out of interest I use 0.4mm nickel silver wire for the operating rods. It is easier to work with than steel but stiffer than brass. I also solder wire in the outside corners of the folded etch, cut to fit between the tabs. It can then be filed square and makes the corners look a bit neater but it is guilding a lily and a fair bit of work for a small improvement.

The mechanisms  on LB are servos worked from GF Controls drive boards. I find their twin board very easy to use and reliable. It really is a "plug and play" device needing a power supply and an on/off switch. 

Thanks Tony

I shall have to search around for some 0.4mm nickel silver wire then. I have got some very fine N/S wire and some thicker stuff but not what I need!

Andrew

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

Following the recent discussion of named locos, that is one that sends shivers down my spine. John Bunyan, rebel priest from Elstow  just south of Bedford. Half of Bedford is John Bunyan this John Bunyan that. No problem with that. His book a Pilgrim's Progress inspired the hymn To Be A Pilgrim is what comes to mind seeing his name on anything. Monday morning school assembly first hymn, To Be A Pilgrim, all five years of my secondary education.

We had a new music teacher, she only stayed a couple of years and told a small group of us,  just before she left, when she first started at the school she was instructed that she was not allowed to change the first hymn on a Monday morning. I think she liked it as much as we did.

I know you like churches and Elstow Church, where Bunyan was born is worth a visit as it is one of the few churches in England with a free standing bell tower.

And a wonderful, stirring hymn it is Clive,

Even an atheist like me has sung it with gusto!

Free-standing bell towers? Chester Cathedral also has one, but it's modern (and, the last time I saw it, partly smeared with the daubings of the D stream!).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We have quite a nice (used intentionally) little country pub, the ‘John Bunyan’  in the next parish.  I grew up near Ampthill and always thought that the view from the derelict Houghton House - the ‘House Beautiful’ - on the hill looked out across the ‘Slough of Despond’ , namely the ugly brick pits and chimneys on the Oxford clay in Bedfordshire.  Wikipedia says otherwise.  

Tim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

That post resonates so much with me, Clive. Especially in these difficult times.

My father's family were from Elstow with many of them now buried at The Abbey Church. They lived just across the road from Bunyan's House.

"To Be A Pilgrim" was the inevitable choice for the first hymn at my father's funeral in 2015. Not only the Bunyan/Elstow link but he had been christened Peregrine, which means Pilgrim. It really meant a lot to all who attended the funeral, even the atheists.

• Friendly/supportive 7

10 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

Dave Lewis used to be part of the Stoke Summit team. It was marvellous; having a 'pet' manufacturer so to speak. 

The Thompson PV carriages in the SP range were developed originally for use on Stoke Summit, then Dave introduced them into his range. I built the prototype 'Elizabethan' rake. 

The following pictures have appeared before, but I think they're relevant to today's discussions...... 

1382048331_60024KINGFISHERonUpElizabethan02.jpg.42ee7f9b36bad1fe316d1902e5cf2cae.jpg

Here's that prototype 'Elizabethan' rake, still going strong after over a quarter of a century's hard work. It's made-up of Southern Pride etched-brass sides fitted over hacked-about (original) Bachmann Thompson donors (with the roofs altered to the right profile), running on cast metal HD bogies. 

The sales of the 'Lizzie' sides were so successful, that other Thompson carriages were added to the range, as etched sides.

1958988260_ThompsonKitchenCar.jpg.7cb8187c79a2d7222813338920126438.jpg

21062200_ThompsonPantrySecond01.jpg.7cf7defd5e7d43dd96246baaf7e08556.jpg

For things like the Kitchen Car and Pantry Second. Again, I made these by fixing the etched sides on to much-altered Bachmann originals, substituting cast metal HD bogies.

1977779051_ThompsonPantrySecond02.jpg.f97452a58461b7c855f82d634034daa9.jpg

Tony Geary took the process a stage further by using the sides along with Comet components to make a hybrid kit. The underframe is certainly superior to my modified Bachmann ones.

1352230802_PantryThird.jpg.5b3ef164f3b56cd5c61b76e6001fa379.jpg

Alan Buckenham (ex-Comet) did the same.

It's strange that Comet (as a quartet) were not interested in producing the 'Elizabethan' sides when I first approached them. 'Not enough interest', I think I was told. That's how I first got to know Dave Lewis. A mate and I stumped up £200.00 each to get the project going, Dave did all the design work and I did the test-build (prototype). The sides sold like hot cakes, and the rest, as they say, is history.

The provision of the Thompson catering cars is vital for an accurate post-War steam-age ECML depiction. It's a shame Bachmann didn't think to make one in its RTR range.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, t-b-g said:

'The mechanisms  on LB are servos worked from GF Controls drive boards. I find their twin board very easy to use and reliable. It really is a "plug and play" device needing a power supply and an on/off switch. '

And they continue to work perfectly, Tony.

Just one thing to note; as we found, they needed a separate/independent source of power to that provided to control the trains. Otherwise there was interference.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2