Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Wright writes.....

Jesse doesn't say where he's located - is he in one of the (former) colonies? I work with a number of Canadians and Americans and 'Hey' is a very common form of greeting, especially on emails, among them.As an aside, I can just about tell the difference now, but you have to be careful not to refer to a Canadian as American, or vice-versa.I find referring to them all as 'colonials' upsets both sides in equal measure. It seems the fairest thing to do.

The best solution is call them all North Americans. For several years I commuted between Houston and Calgary, working as a Houston representative for a Candaian oil company. But of course, Texas is on a different planet, at least if you take a look at their map of the World, where Oklahoma barely exists and anything north of OK is termed the Arctic.

The endearment Hey seems to have originated in the TV soap Friends. It was not used at all in Texas.

I find referring to them all as 'colonials' upsets both sides in equal measure. It seems the fairest thing to do.

Tsk tsk - this on a thread run by Tony Wright, the doyen of accuracy?

'Colonial commoners' is the correct term.

Must dash - my partner, an American herself, is approaching with a flintlock and a decidedly gimlet eye...

Jesse doesn't say where he's located - is he in one of the (former) colonies? I work with a number of Canadians and Americans and 'Hey' is a very common form of greeting, especially on emails, among them.

As an aside, I can just about tell the difference now, but you have to be careful not to refer to a Canadian as American, or vice-versa.

I find referring to them all as 'colonials' upsets both sides in equal measure. It seems the fairest thing to do.

I think he's one of our down under brethren...

Evening

As a fan of the C12 i can't say I've ever noticed any issue with the proximity of the firebox top & spectacles on the LRM or Craftsman kits. Having these C12s built from the different kit manufactures next to each other on the previous page to compare i would say that the SE finecast is the one with "land" issues, the top of the cab side opening & the top of the roof looks to be far greater distance than the prototype & also the LRM & craftsman models.

Cheers

Chris

Evening

As a fan of the C12 i can't say I've ever noticed any issue with the proximity of the firebox top & spectacles on the LRM or Craftsman kits. Having these C12s built from the different kit manufactures next to each other on the previous page to compare i would say that the SE finecast is the one with "land" issues, the top of the cab side opening & the top of the roof looks to be far greater distance than the prototype & also the LRM & craftsman models.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I'm inclined to agree.

However, those Craftsman and LRM boilers/fireboxes still look a twitch too high to me. Either that or the spectacles are too low. But, aren't all of them pretty little locos? 

Pete,

Should it have square tanks and bunker? Oh dear if it should. Ian just wanted that number after he'd built it.

Did someone say I was associated with accuracy? 

Tony,

I'm afraid it should.

However 57 was the only square bunkered loco that had the rounded coal rails as opposed to the coal rails being square at the corners. Squared tanked c12s also had a additional vertical hand rail at the front of the tanks.

Although I'm an LMR modeller I do think the C12 is a pretty little tanky, hence I have 8 craftsman in primer all slightly different .

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Eh? I enjoy cryptic crosswords, but i'm afraid you've lost me here? Are you talking about rebuilt B17s ????         BK

0-4-4T how to model

How would you do a Bo Bo?

Connected wheels so B non driven so 2

Treat it as a B2 as in two bogies

• RMweb Premium

0-4-4T how to model

Diesel (and electric) speak amongst steam fans is like a foreign language......

Technically, shouldn't it be 0-B-2?

Cheers,

Mick

haha,

G.day everyone, 

thanks very much for all the help, helped me out alot! :)

and i am aussie by the way :D

cheers Jesse

To continue this theme the yoof I have to coexist with here say "yo blood" to someone they are friendly with or look up to.

Now I doubt mr wright has ever been called that!

• RMweb Premium

Diesel (and electric) speak amongst steam fans is like a foreign language......

Technically, shouldn't it be 0-B-2?

Cheers,

Mick

No, just treat it like most type 1s and type 2s

• RMweb Premium

To continue this theme the yoof I have to coexist with here say "yo blood" to someone they are friendly with or look up to.

Now I doubt mr wright has ever been called that!

I had a friend who came from California. When we really wanted to wind him up we'd call him a South Canadian.

• RMweb Premium

No, just treat it like most type 1s and type 2s

0-4-4T how to model

There was an article donkeys' years ago in the Modeller (February 1967) on doing just that for an LNER G5. Aside from improved traction, you also get reduced throw at the bunker end. I guess it would also work for 4-4-0s (or 2-Bs).

Now we know what on earth B2 was supposed to mean (like watching that baffling "3-2-1 Show" with Ted Rodgers years ago), yes if building a compensated 0-4-4T chassis, you could treat it as like it were an eight-wheel coach chassis, except of course one "bogie" doesn't pivot horizontally. Compensation is a good idea for the best traction, electrical pick-up and stability, but it can take longer and be more complicated to build, the point i was making, was that in 4mm 'OO' and 'EM' you can get away with simpler rigid chassis, EXCEPT for the 0-4-4T types, which can be more troublesome if rigid, due to the large overhang at the back. Another option for any other chassis, which i often favour as a simpler solution, is to keep the geared axle rigid and allow the other driving axles to either move vertically under a simple spring, and/or one axle rocking on a central bearing point, which gives you 3-point suspension. This principle can be applied to many RTR steam chassis and most kits.

Some RTR had sprung axles a few years back (e.g. later Bachmann 57xx), they ran well and wheels stayed cleaner, but i think that feature was dropped on grounds of extra cost? Ironically, one of the first RTR chassis with any compensation was the bright blue Hornby Thomas The Tank Engine (!) in the mid-1980s, which had a new chassis with a sprung axle, i believe it was later used on their LMS 3F tank, but it was crude by today's standards.

Cheers, Brian.

Tony,

I'm afraid it should.

However 57 was the only square bunkered loco that had the rounded coal rails as opposed to the coal rails being square at the corners. Squared tanked c12s also had a additional vertical hand rail at the front of the tanks.

Although I'm an LMR modeller I do think the C12 is a pretty little tanky, hence I have 8 craftsman in primer all slightly different .

Pete

Thanks again, Pete,

Your astute observation jogged a very crumbling memory cell. I'd finished it as '57 because Ian said that's the one he wanted. But, on checking, we realised the inaccuracy of it. So, three years ago now it became '97, which I think is right. 

My apologies for posting such an inaccurate photograph. I'll get it back from Ian and take another picture. 

• RMweb Premium

This is  all getting far too technical for me and I'm glad I am but a simple bloke who just enjoys sticking plastic stuff together. However, I wish to inform TW that I passed the 'hallowed grounds' the other day, going south around 13.10 and at approximately 125 m.p.h. I was dreaming of July 1938 but still was able to note the Roof of 'the layout room' and saluted, subtly but in reverence and with style. Grief, those 225s can't half shift.

It is clear that the Little Bythem of 1958/9/60 ish was a far more interesting country station site than the 'wilderness/wasteland that it is is now (apart from some quite pleasant new houses almost opposite the Pub). 

I then, a little later, progressed from Peterborough Glass & Plastic Road, east and  thence north eastwards on secondary lines, via Ely, towards the lands of the M & GNR.

Lots of time to muse on the loss of infrastructure and the sort of trains that would be pottering around East Anglia in the late 50s.

A fine experience. 

Tony, I shall phone you on approach next time so that you might, if at home, return my jolly salute as I thunder past (Standard Class unless upgraded!)

C12s; lovely looking engines and I never knowingly saw any.

Phil 

• Like 1

Dear Jesse (I'm old-fashioned, and nobody has ever greeted me with 'hey').

Not even when you were shed bunking?

Generally followed by 'YOU!'

And 'CLEAR OFF!'

(Good to chat with you on Sunday.  I'm now off to my Chess class..........................)

Edited by 5050

Where did the expression "shed bunking" come from?  Like so many events of that era I don't remember the phrase, perhaps because they were invented later.  Likewise "anorak".

(Example, Jinty was not a term in use AFAIK in the 1950s, enginemen either called them Jockos north of Nuneaton or Dobbins in Nuneaton and to the south)

But to elaborate, on one of many occasions I got inside Wolverhampton Stafford Road 84A, having walked the canal towpath from Low Level Station.  I was immediately caught and brought before the shed superintendent.  The following conversation took place:

"OK, sonny, what's your name?"

"John Smith, Sir"

"Pull the other one."

"Honest sir, me Mam thought it a good name."

"OK, John Smith, give me your parent's phone number."

"We don't have a telephone."

"You do know you were trespassing?"

"Well, I suppose so, but you've got all them Kings on shed."

"Get out of here.  And don't you come back neither."

Well, I did, a couple of months later and I "copped me Kings" then.

Those were the days. . . . . .

• Like 7

Back to the present.  While actually modelling today I had this thought.  What about a "Tripadvisor" type website as part of RMWeb, only called "Kitadvisor".  The concept would be that buyers and builders of kits could post their comments rather like people do for hotels and self catering cottages.  Positive critiques would be encouraged and the option be given to the artisans, purveyors and the like to respond, particularly to those comments that are less than complimentary.

This does seem to be the way our society is progressing and hoteliers, cottage owners and the like thrive on the system within Tripadvisor.  Members of our family recently invested in a self catering cottage in the North Cotswolds and one of the simplest forms of advertising is by word of mouth.  If I was one of those brilliant kit designing artisans out there I would welcome such a Kitadvisor function, there would be nothing to lose, everything to gain.

One of the problems with a lot of magazine reviews is the inevitable "don't tread on the toes of our advertisers!" which sometimes means that potential buyers believe the rosy reviews and may subsequently be disappointed.

• Like 5