Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

37 minutes ago, GWR8700 said:

Can I asķ what kit makes those L&Y locos are?

I presume the top 2 are Craftsman but I can't figure out the bottom 2.  Excellent work!

I think the Highflyer is Millholme.

The O Gauge ST is modified RTR.

I don't know about the others. Perhaps Geoff Haynes will explain. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Just an interesting price comparison with regard to 'budget modelling'..............

838151952_Budgetmodelling16.jpg.65622118ab0368c6881ac5d2157464d8.jpg

The nearer Black Five is a modified Hornby one. Total price around £40.00 (with work on it, of course).

The further one I built from a Model Loco kit for a friend (which Geoff Haynes painted). 

The comparison? The top one cost almost 20 times as much! 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

2 hours ago, GWR8700 said:

I presume the top 2 are Craftsman but I can't figure out the bottom 2.  Excellent work!

I am not sure what kits the 4-4-0 and the 0-6-0s originate from, I will ask the owners and let you know. I delivered all four this morning down to the south coast.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Leander said:

What lets these Hornby Class 5s down is the 'skirt' which Hornby have put under the front of the smokebox, being set too far forward. If it is removed and replaced with a piece of plasticard cut to fit about 3mm further back, it improves the 'face' of the loco no end, as Timara Easter has done with these two a few years ago, which were detailed and converted to EM gauge. Needless to say, the various kits (Ks, Model Loco/DJH and Brassmasters) do not require such remedial attention.

45253.jpg

45021 LHS.jpg

Very nice Pete,

Thanks for showing us.

Another big difference is the fitting of much better bogie wheels (most RTR ones are grim). That, and the removal of the 'skirt' below the tender soleplate. 

My 'brief' with regard to the Hornby Black Fives I've been given was to just make them into reasonable examples of 'budget modelling'. I'd normally replace those awful bogie wheels, but that adds to the cost.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Even though I'm 'retired', I still think I have the 'best job in the world'. A 'job' which takes me, along with good friends, to see and photograph some outstanding models and layouts. To call which follows a 'layout' is a bit of a misnomer, other than to say it's a 'layout in a garden'.............

1184054929_A101.jpg.89ac310864b620592e5c252eb7b0a666.jpg

1379665553_B101.jpg.8dd2ccbaa9e7f864de6f9a1f340cde2c.jpg

Hall.jpg.4b6c6af8074b615b5e1d6bfb916082d4.jpg

1017411208_SRAtlantic01.jpg.d57928389e940ec2fb555da01666d656.jpg

All O Gauge excellence.

I hope to do a write-up on it for BRM. 

Great photos. I love the concrete(?) viaduct.

Andy

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, GWR8700 said:

You are correct, the 0-6-0s are Craftsman, and the 4-4-0 is London Road Models. This is the only kit still available. They were all built by John James.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andy,

Yes, cast in concrete in sections using wooden moulds.

1964074750_B103.jpg.a16211b2c99afc2678a3a8b9fa3fb739.jpg

It's the centrepiece of the railway.

It's normally all GWR, but yesterday was a guest running session.

Regards,

Tony. 

It's hard to beat 0 gauge in the garden.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Seeing the few posts relating to Hornby Black 5’s caused me to pull out the box on an old model of mine. It’s one of the much-maligned Hornby tender drive versions from the mid 1980s; I bought it from Beatties in Banbury in the summer of 1986 for £40.99 (with one of my first pay packets!) It was in LMS livery, as that was all that was available, but was quickly painted in BR lined black as in the photo below. The image portrays much evidence in the way of my inexperience at the time.

2027753166_HornbyBlack544839.jpg.e70ff13d86dcce0b499ab350e537c296.jpg

In the early 1990s I replaced the loco chassis with a Comet Models version, it was at that point I found out the Hornby model was under length, and the tender drive replaced with a simple Comet chassis frame. From memory it ran reasonably well, although the D13 motor driving the rear axle runs better in reverse than forward! Something to do with the way thrust acts on the bearings, I believe. I did do some work on the loco body – I took out the ‘skirt’ below the boiler, and detailed it with things like sprung buffers. The front step on the offside has been lost along the way.

So why show it, given I have two Hornby models from the 2005-2010 era and a Gibson one in the kit pile? Because I’m fond of it and it was part of a modelling journey and, in keeping with the budget theme, I have acquired many bits and bobs with the idea on mind of upgrading it.

I did purchase most of the parts needed to detail and improve it. This included a replacement Hornby body for it – before the better Hornby ones came out – with the intention of really seeing what I could do with it, but then someone gave me one of those plastic display models of a Black 5 as a gift. As kind as it was of them, they’re not really my thing and I saw the potential in using that as the basis of upgrading my old runner!

842031029_Replacementbodies.jpg.fa63bfe8107f6a5fceb42af457fce8a7.jpg

I haven’t checked the plastic display model for dimensional accuracy, the tender doesn’t seem quite right but the loco body on face value seems to ‘look’ okay. If it ever gets done, I appreciate, it’ll be more of a ‘Trigger’s broom’ than an upgrade of a mid 80s Black 5!

Kind regards,

Iain

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andy,

Regards,

Tony. 

Fantastic. I’m looking to do something similar to build Glenfinnan viaduct in my garden (subject to domestic authorities!). Do you know if the technique is written up anywhere?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I think the Highflyer is Millholme.

The O Gauge ST is modified RTR.

I don't know about the others. Perhaps Geoff Haynes will explain. 

Regards,

Tony. 

The L&Y 4-4-0 could be the London Road Barton Wright version. The Craftsman kit was, AFAIK, for a different  class of 4-4-0, probably the later Aspinall design. The L&Y Society website shows photos of both, the front frames and the tender frames  of the model in Tony's photos being a match for the Barton Wright version photo.

https://lyrs.org.uk/locomotives/

https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/locos-tenders-chassis/lancs-yorks/

Edit, I wrote this before I read GH's reply to the query. Must try harder.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Additional text

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Fantastic. I’m looking to do something similar to build Glenfinnan viaduct in my garden (subject to domestic authorities!). Do you know if the technique is written up anywhere?

Andy, Don Neale described how he built the viaduct for his Kirtley Branch outdoor 0 gauge layout in the June 1969 Railway Modeller.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andy,

Regards,

Tony. 

Very natural looking weathering on the viaduct too (hee hee).

12 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Good evening Andy,

I don't know if the casting techniques have been described anywhere. I'll ask the builder.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Staffordshire said:

I doubt this little loco BR Number 1 'Hercules'  ever went through Little Bytham.

Comments welcome ....

Hercules.image.painted.5.jpg

Yes, an intriguing engine (Peckett 810 of 1900) which was never a GWR loco despite the GW safety valve.  It was acquired by BR in 1948 from the Ystalyfera Tin Works which was in liquidation.  It was derelict when taken over and the safety valve was fitted during the requisite overhaul.  It was allocated to Gurnos and was withdrawn from there in Jan 1954.  The photo shows its 'good' side as there was no nameplate on the right!  Chris KT

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Quick question, been wondering for years.

On the Springs Branch photo above, open the image in a new tab and zoom in. Can anyone identify the (presumably) diesel loco at the refuelling tanks (above the line of mineral wagons) ? It seems to have silver / white oval buffers and a small yellow warning panel.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Quick question, been wondering for years.

On the Springs Branch photo above, open the image in a new tab and zoom in. Can anyone identify the (presumably) diesel loco at the refuelling tanks (above the line of mineral wagons) ? It seems to have silver / white oval buffers and a small yellow warning panel.

Brit15

Class 20?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1