Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I have no idea. If you want an expert on modelling A4s, I am not the person to turn to. I haven't built anything that modern for several decades now. 

I just look at photos of the real things and models and play "spot the difference".

Sorry Tony - I got the wrong "Tony", if you see what I mean....😳 

11 hours ago, landscapes said:

Hi Tony

I hope you don't mind a few more Bulleid Pacific photos, these two were both taken back in 2009 just to show the same problem now on two different Pacific's in preservation.

Regards

David

34007 Alton Station 2009A.jpg

34070 Corfe Castle Station 2009-2A.jpg

Good evening David,

I don't mind at all.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, micklner said:

I have read Lilliput as the basis  for the Bachmann version , no idea if that is the same maker?. It doesnt compare with the Hornby version , theirs was one of the first "superdetail" Locos produced to current standards. I remember Mr Wright in a BRM review  article using the words  "Dont bother building kits of the A4 ever again" or very similar at the time . They are not perfect but much better than the very old Finecast version. I have never seen a Proscale version "in the flesh"

Good evening Mick,

"Dont bother building kits of the A4 ever again"

I wouldn't take anything I write too seriously.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 12

On 17/08/2022 at 00:03, JamesSpooner said:

Tony,

This is quoted as a photo of Manston apparently when new and the wrinkles are quite clearly apparent in it.  I know Bulleid was a comparatively early exponent of welding and even in the 1970’s BREL was building wrinkles into its Mk3 coach sides, due to welding distortion, so maybe there was an element of that in addition to the hand formed sheets?

best wishes

Nigel

image.jpeg.8929c24f01dbb6977e59a8aeba39d9e9.jpeg

Not quite 'when new' as it wouldn't have had the addition of the 's' to the number or 'British Railways' on the tender when completed for the Southern in October 1947.

Thankfully Manston is still with us and will be 75 in a couple of months ... LNER 4472 will be 100 next year; making it an antique!

Glenn

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

...I can certainly see differences among all these models. Why, might one ask, not standardise on one type of model A4? Well, certainly not Hornby (despite its excellent appearance) because it won't pull the heaviest trains, and the Golden Age one was just a moment of weakness. 

All have merits and de-merits, yet I'm happy enough with them all.

Of course, they're never made/modified to be scrutinised to the highest degree. 

They're all really 'layout locos', made to be viewed in a wider context.

Like this...............

Good evening Tony, a terrific line-up, thank you for posting them: that first picture, of Sir Nigel, is absolutely superb! I find the shape pleasurable to look at, almost like touching it, like the mudguard curves on a 1930s car, or... 😉

Ok, moving on: absolutely, all have merits and de-merits and no, not really built for close scrutiny.

That being said, I find it quite natural to see lots of differences in kit-built ones, I think it was just that I'd expected the two main mass production RTR 'big players' to be more standardised by now.

Reading posts after mine, I remembered that I had read before of the current Bachmann one being unchanged from the Trix/Lilliput that's even older than me (I think!) and perhaps that's what surprises me, that Bachmann wouldn't have updated such an iconic loco by now.

I do have one Bachmann and four Hornbys (ranging from the late 1980s to about 2012) but because the Bachmann is in BR livery and the Hornbys are LNER, I've never actually run the two brands together so the differences hadn't struck me. Also, I realise while writing this that I don't scrutinise RTR models in anywhere near the same detail as I do something I'm building.

On reflection, perhaps it's better that I don't run the two brands' locos side by side: for my running purposes, they look perfectly fine separately... 🙂

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Good evening Tony, a terrific line-up, thank you for posting them: that first picture, of Sir Nigel, is absolutely superb! I find the shape pleasurable to look at, almost like touching it, like the mudguard curves on a 1930s car, or... 😉

Ok, moving on: absolutely, all have merits and de-merits and no, not really built for close scrutiny.

That being said, I find it quite natural to see lots of diffrences in kit-built ones, I think it was just that I'd expected the two main mass production RTR 'big players' to be more standardised by now.

Reading posts after mine, I remembered that I had read before of the current Bachmann one being unchanged from the Trix/Lilliput that's even older than me (I think!) and perhaps that's what surprises me, that Bachmann wouldn't have updated such an iconic loco by now.

I do have one Bachmann and four Hornbys (ranging from the late 1980s to about 2012) but because the Bachmann's in BR livery and the Hornbys are LNER, I've never actually run the two brands together so the differences hadn't struck me. Also, I realise while writing this that I don't scrutinise RTR models in anywhere near the same detail as I do something I'm building.

On reflection, perhaps it's better that I don't run the two brands' locos side by side: for my running purposes, they look perfectly fine separately... 🙂

Thanks Chas,

I think Bachmann worked on the original Trix/Lilliput body (altering the wrong firebox angles for a start), but it's still from a long time ago. It inherited nothing from the rotten chassis (loco-drive or tender-drive). I bought a couple in the early-'70s (from City Models in Liverpool, crossing the Mersey after a day's teaching in Birkenhead), but both were poor runners. I gave them away. Bachmann made a split chassis for the body (with 'smooth flywheel drive'), but that wasn't much good, either. The latest chassis is a big improvement, though I don't think the model is currently available. 

The original Hornby A4 (tender drive) was dire, both in appearance and performance. Hornby Dublo's from more years than I've been alive was a bit misshapen, and as for its tinplate tender..............

The current Hornby A4 is in a different league, and can lay justifiable claim (body-wise) to being the most accurate 4mm model of this most-famous class. 

Yes, there will be differences among kit-built A4s (I've never built a Finney one - out of my league), just as there were differences between two prototype A4s, especially with regard to ripples and dents. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Chas,

I think Bachmann worked on the original Trix/Lilliput body (altering the wrong firebox angles for a start), but it's still from a long time ago. It inherited nothing from the rotten chassis (loco-drive or tender-drive). I bought a couple in the early-'70s (from City Models in Liverpool, crossing the Mersey after a day's teaching in Birkenhead), but both were poor runners. I gave them away. Bachmann made a split chassis for the body (with 'smooth flywheel drive'), but that wasn't much good, either. The latest chassis is a big improvement, though I don't think the model is currently available. 

The original Hornby A4 (tender drive) was dire, both in appearance and performance. Hornby Dublo's from more years than I've been alive was a bit misshapen, and as for its tinplate tender..............

The current Hornby A4 is in a different league, and can lay justifiable claim (body-wise) to being the most accurate 4mm model of this most-famous class. 

Yes, there will be differences among kit-built A4s (I've never built a Finney one - out of my league), just as there were differences between two prototype A4s, especially with regard to ripples and dents. 

Regards,

Tony. 

With extra weight, the Hornby A4 can pull too, as has been demonstrated on Retford where the Elizabethan (10 out of 11 carriages are metal kits) is within their capabilities. Hornby has also done several tender types.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, robertcwp said:

With extra weight, the Hornby A4 can pull too, as has been demonstrated on Retford where the Elizabethan (10 out of 11 carriages are metal kits) is within their capabilities. Hornby has also done several tender types.

Good morning Robert,

I've seen them perform.

I haven't added any ballast to my one Hornby A4, because it only gets used on the lightest expresses - the afternoon 'Talisman' or the 'Tees-Tyne Pullman'.

The Hornby tenders make an excellent range (of three?) - original 1935 streamlined corridor, 1937 streamlined non-corridor and original 1928 (ex-A1/-A3) corridor type. With work, the trio of 1928 tenders with the cut-down rear for the '48 Exchanges (latterly fitted to 60029, 33 and 34, with two of them going to Flying Scotsman in preservation) can be reproduced. As can the strip at the tender's tank base (seen on some of all three A4 tender types) to support the stainless strip for the 'Coronation'/'West Riding' A4s.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Robert,

I've seen them perform.

I haven't added any ballast to my one Hornby A4, because it only gets used on the lightest expresses - the afternoon 'Talisman' or the 'Tees-Tyne Pullman'.

The Hornby tenders make an excellent range (of three?) - original 1935 streamlined corridor, 1937 streamlined non-corridor and original 1928 (ex-A1/-A3) corridor type. With work, the trio of 1928 tenders with the cut-down rear for the '48 Exchanges (latterly fitted to 60029, 33 and 34, with two of them going to Flying Scotsman in preservation) can be reproduced. As can the strip at the tender's tank base (seen on some of all three A4 tender types) to support the stainless strip for the 'Coronation'/'West Riding' A4s.

Regards,

Tony. 

Does your Hornby A4 have tender drive? If so, does it still have the unsightly wheels that Hornby used?

(Or do the later tender drives have more realistic wheels? Mine is a late 1980s Silver Fox.)

• RMweb Gold

I've not seen much mention of the Dapol "Black Label" A4 which I think had a die-cast body. Other than seeing it reviewed in one or two of the magazines, I don't think I've ever seen one in a shop or on a layout. Presumably it didn't do well enough to lead onto other things.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Does your Hornby A4 have tender drive? If so, does it still have the unsightly wheels that Hornby used?

(Or do the later tender drives have more realistic wheels? Mine is a late 1980s Silver Fox.)

Tony hasn't replied; he may have had "a funny turn" and gone to lie down after reading that question.

"Tender drive? TENDER DRIVE?!"

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I once ran a Hornby tender drive A4 on Grantham at a running weekend just to see Tony's reaction.   It was well worth it.

Post the video or it never happened 😇

2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Does Mo know CPR?

Should be easy enough - just drop a succession of locos from a height of about 3 feet. If the weight of them doesn't do successful compressions the thought of the damage to them would soon wake Tony up 🤪

• Funny 7

5 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I think others have made the situation regarding my attitude to tender-drive quite clear.

I'll have (at least) two A4s on my demonstration stand at the Loughborough Show over this weekend (both loco-drive, of course).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Post the video or it never happened 😇

Should be easy enough - just drop a succession of locos from a height of about 3 feet. If the weight of them doesn't do successful compressions the thought of the damage to them would soon wake Tony up 🤪

He was okay until @jwealleans mentioned it again. 

46824756-3CDA-4589-B923-3FE5E06E77DF.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Funny 12

4 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

I've not seen much mention of the Dapol "Black Label" A4 which I think had a die-cast body. Other than seeing it reviewed in one or two of the magazines, I don't think I've ever seen one in a shop or on a layout. Presumably it didn't do well enough to lead onto other things.

Good afternoon Al,

I cannot comment on how well (or not) the Dapol 'Black Label' A4 sold, because I don't know. Like you, I've never seen one on a layout (other than on Little Bytham). I had one to review, five years ago............

690693105_DapolBlackLabelA401.jpg.bc423649ad3fb4aba6d11ae89405a310.jpg

1020681316_DapolBlackLabelA402.jpg.cd1160444f5fe7c5c117cc142d602a05.jpgI thought it quite impressive; at a price, of course.

1054071915_DapolBlackLabelA404.jpg.2b7b080048c982ac971afc1da606f432.jpg

The fixed lamps might have discouraged some purchasers.

1722958749_DapolBlackLabelA411.jpg.20270173770ac7e7a910da6a432601ab.jpg

There was a fair amount 'under the bonnet'.

2130553443_DapolBlackLabelA414.jpg.fc6f50858d6a22d0ae64785a25e3f468.jpg

Including a smoke unit (which worked on plain DC). 

I wonder how many were actually sold, but it's not been perpetuated as far as I know. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I know this has been gone over before, and I might have posted this video already, but I do think the old Airfix-style tender drive could be made to run well especially on DCC. My 4F is one of my best runners, and it's just the bog-standard tender drive with the most basic kind of Hiornby decoder. It's definitely best suited to slow running, though, as the noise level goes up quite sharply at faster scale speeds. I've got a 2P which has the same drive and runs just as well, but again it's at its best when running relatively sedately.

Of course in general I'd rather have loco drive because there's something right about it, but this is one of those marginal cases where I don't feel justified in the time and expense of a new chassis, never mind binning tbe existing one.

Al

• Like 17

1 hour ago, richard i said:

What a restrained reply. You picked your words very carefully. 
there is one exception. 2mm. It seems to be the only way to get loads of power. Motor in the tender with power through a drive shaft to the coupled wheels on the loco.

richard 

I don't think that's quite the same as 'tender-drive', Richard. 

Not the spectacle of an A4's tender roaring like a bull as it pushes its loco with locked-up solid motion! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

I know this has been gone over before, and I might have posted this video already, but I do think the old Airfix-style tender drive could be made to run well especially on DCC. My 4F is one of my best runners, and it's just the bog-standard tender drive with the most basic kind of Hiornby decoder. It's definitely best suited to slow running, though, as the noise level goes up quite sharply at faster scale speeds. I've got a 2P which has the same drive and runs just as well, but again it's at its best when running relatively sedately.

Of course in general I'd rather have loco drive because there's something right about it, but this is one of those marginal cases where I don't feel justified in the time and expense of a new chassis, never mind binning tbe existing one.

Al

I may have one available as I bought a broken 2P for the loco body and it will get a LRM tender and Comet chassis.

Body is being MRed

Speaking of tender drives, I’ve recently rediscovered a half-forgotten Hornby A3 “Prince Palatine” powered that way, barely run because the project of the day was stillborn. Does anyone know whether the loco body would fit a modern Hornby A3 chassis, and whether the tender could simply have the old motor removed and run empty - or would it all be more complicated than that?  Thanks.