Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Thanks, Class 20 then. I thought Deltic at one time. Both were manufactured at Vulcan Foundry just a few miles south of Springs Branch, and the new Class 20's were tested on the WCML on 1T60, Crewe to Carlisle.

Springs Branch undated.

2013-01-08-22-09-54.jpg.f2b2e4eb6bc3bf20dba5600107362f46.jpg

Whitley Crossing 1 mile north of Wigan NW, southbound. summer 1966.

2013-01-09-21-21-59.jpg.51aca74351cd539ce756912df4df7ff8.jpg

Two shiny brand new 50's at Crewe works around 1970, both showing 1T60.

2013-01-08-19-36-22.jpg.6910046abba710e9cbb834017abf3298.jpg

Back to Black 5,s Springs Branch and unusual headcodes. I wonder what working 1Z22 was. Both these locos numbers are close to Tony's model. Not dated but around 1966 / 7. The new diesel shed to the right is up. (a no go area to us lot !!!!).

Does anyone "scrawl" headcodes like this on there beloved models ?

2013-01-08-20-21-01.jpg.f73714c6b6eea067050b12478fb9fd98.jpg

Brit15

• Like 14

On 28/08/2022 at 20:32, Tony Wright said:

... if the casting techniques have been described anywhere ...

This is how all full-scale cast-in-place concrete structures are built, the only thing that can vary is the material the shutters are made of. For a model railway I can't see needing reinforcement bars, but I can see needing a finer grade of aggregate.  Usual reservations about ground conditions: putting up any structure on peat or running sand will end badly.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, geoff west said:

Thanks Tony, for another most enjoyable day. 
Just to clarify a point, the A4 isn’t ex Gamston Bank. It’s an eBay purchase that came as part of a set of three A4’s. I’ve renumbered/ named it and weathered it from 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley. 

Thanks Geoff,

I get muddled very easily these days.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Geoff,

I get muddled very easily these days.

Regards,

Tony. 

Given the sheer number of locos that you have personally built or refurbished, plus all the visiting engines that appear on LB, it amazes me how you keep track of the vast majority that you do recall accurately....

Even excluding RTR examples, you must have come into contact with at least as many models of each individual A4 as there were prototype A4s in the class!🙂

Respect!

John

• Agree 5

5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Given the sheer number of locos that you have personally built or refurbished, plus all the visiting engines that appear on LB, it amazes me how you keep track of the vast majority that you do recall accurately....

Even excluding RTR examples, you must have come into contact with at least as many models of each individual A4 as there were prototype A4s in the class!🙂

Respect!

John

Thank you John,

That's very kind of you. 

Regarding A4s I've built (for myself and customers), I don't think I've made 35; yet. 

Some have been more popular than others; SILVER FOX, for instance, but not SILVER KING, though I have that to build for Carlisle. DWIGHT D EISENHOWER has also been built in the plural, as has GANNET, but, oddly, only one MALLARD. 

I've probably photographed examples of every one by now, built by others or as RTR items. At one show, quite a few years ago, a chap was proudly displaying all 35 A4s he'd acquired (mainly Bachmann, it would have appeared). He asked what I thought, but wasn't that impressed when I told him that there were more than two types of A4 tender, and neither of the two Bachmann ones he had were correct. How to lose friends and not influence people! 

One chap I know has at least one of every A4 in LNER guise (some duplicated, but in different liveries). All are Hornby items; all very impressive, but all too clean for realism in my view.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

All the kits purchased have been posted off this morning. However, due to a postal strike, guaranteed/tracked delivery next day means Thursday. Perhaps the PO needs to redefine what 'next day' delivery actually means!

May I request that anyone in receipt who has not paid as yet, please does so ASAP. The original owner is not well, and CRUK gets 10%. 

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Perhaps the PO needs to redefine what 'next day' delivery actually means!

I believe it's already defined as "next working day". By definition, a strike day is a day on which they're not working.  

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I believe it's already defined as "next working day". By definition, a strike day is a day on which they're not working.  

Agree - I ordered something from TMC last Wednesday from delivery via RM having forgotten the strike and was pretty impressed that it arrived today allowing for the effects of the strike, the weekend, the Bank Holiday and the ongoing problems caused by Covid. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Good evening Stephen,

I agree, and I'm generally very impressed with the PO's service.

So far, with regard to the hundreds of items I've sent via the 'Special Delivery' service, apart from the odd bit of 'shake' damage (easily-fixed), everything has arrived safely and (usually) on time.

Looking forwards, with strikes planned across many jobs (not just in the PO) and the interruptions caused by some protesters, it might be that 'next day delivery' will become very difficult. Still, as long as items arrive safely................... eventually. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The 91s and Mk4s were very much on the way out - then there was a U-turn by LNER and not only some sets reinstated, but they are being repainted too, in a modernised Intercity livery. Probably only a year or two until they go for good though.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Ahh the modernised MK 4livery - Saw one full set at Leeds. Its a bit odd (though nice), a dark maroon. The DVT was nice, you could almost smell the new paint. Alas a rather tatty 91 on the rear.

IMG_2265.JPG.53f80236abbc661aaeaab4e0ab8d721f.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG.08b612b3551c11b0d12b38742e30fd3e.JPG

A "proper" train !!

Brit15

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

Ahh the modernised MK 4livery - Saw one full set at Leeds. Its a bit odd (though nice), a dark maroon. The DVT was nice, you could almost smell the new paint. Alas a rather tatty 91 on the rear.

IMG_2265.JPG.53f80236abbc661aaeaab4e0ab8d721f.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG.08b612b3551c11b0d12b38742e30fd3e.JPG

A "proper" train !!

Brit15

Good morning Brit 15 (one of the last of the class I saw),

Thanks for showing us your recent journeys.

It's good to know that some of the 91s are still plying their trade on the ECML; actual, independent passenger locos, the like of which we'll never see again. I've seen the 'maroon' set several times now.

What your pictures show are the ripples and 'dents' along the sides of the Mk.4s; reminiscent of Bulleid's original Pacifics? I doubt if anyone would dare attempt to recreate them in model form.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

actual, independent passenger locos, the like of which we'll never see again

Possibly, possibly not. There are certainly newer "mixed traffic" locos around, such as classes 92, 67 and 68.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Possibly, possibly not. There are certainly newer "mixed traffic" locos around, such as classes 92, 67 and 68.

I was thinking more along the lines of ECML thoroughbreds, John. 

There's a line of development from years and years ago, which, in my opinion, is now coming to and end on the ECML (and elsewhere). Yes, the Azumas are remarkably fast, but they're really just units - not an independent locomotive.

I agree that the classes you've cited are locomotives, but none of them is ever going to be the fastest and most-powerful of their breed - as the A4s, Deltics and 91s have been.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

What your pictures show are the ripples and 'dents' along the sides of the Mk.4s; reminiscent of Bulleid's original Pacifics? I doubt if anyone would dare attempt to recreate them in model form.

Regards,

Tony. 

The RTR manufacturers won’t do this... the limitations of their tooling means that every item would have identical dents, which just wouldn’t look right.

You get the same issue with any mass-production paint job where non-standard embellishment has been added by the manufacturer.  It might look good on the individual model, but is just wrong when a rake is assembled... 

Adding individuality to a model is definitively something best left to the modeller.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

There's a line of development from years and years ago, which, in my opinion, is now coming to and end on the ECML (and elsewhere). Yes, the Azumas are remarkably fast, but they're really just units - not an independent locomotive.

Morning Tony,

I am. its true, a little out of date but the almost complete reliance on multiple units for passenger services in the UK is, I think, in contrast with most of European Railways where Push-Pull working is very prevalent. This provides for a very flexible means of operation which can respond to passenger demand very quickly. In contrast, UK train operators have to lease another complete MU (an expensive option) to provide extra capacity for a given train path. This often leads to train overloading which is unpleasant for the passengers and frankly potentially dangerous in the event of train evacuation. 

The class 91's were the last BRB influenced design of passenger locomotive (GEC had a big input) and utilised push-pull operation. The BRB appointed a Project Director and Project Engineer to oversee the design and build at Crewe and I had the pleasure (I think!) of being the BRB Resident Engineer signing off all the class for service. It was a great project to be involved in and it seems odd that this class is almost defunct - how time flies....

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Morning Tony,

I am. its true, a little out of date but the almost complete reliance on multiple units for passenger services in the UK is, I think, in contrast with most of European Railways where Push-Pull working is very prevalent. This provides for a very flexible means of operation which can respond to passenger demand very quickly. In contrast, UK train operators have to lease another complete MU (an expensive option) to provide extra capacity for a given train path. This often leads to train overloading which is unpleasant for the passengers and frankly potentially dangerous in the event of train evacuation. 

The class 91's were the last BRB influenced design of passenger locomotive (GEC had a big input) and utilised push-pull operation. The BRB appointed a Project Director and Project Engineer to oversee the design and build at Crewe and I had the pleasure (I think!) of being the BRB Resident Engineer signing off all the class for service. It was a great project to be involved in and it seems odd that this class is almost defunct - how time flies....

Kind regards,

Richard B

Then you will have known my dear late colleague and friend Andrew H.