Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I agree that the classes you've cited are locomotives, but none of them is ever going to be the fastest and most-powerful of their breed - as the A4s, Deltics and 91s have been.

The bo-bo-bo class 9's (also known as class 9000) are the most powerful loco in the UK. The class 92s, at 6760bhp, aren't far behind and have same maximum tractive effort at 90,000 lb/f. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Personally I can't get over the fact that the pride of the East Coast fleet is made by a company I associate with radio cassette players! And then the whole thing that we import our loco's, stock and units from overseas is just unbelievable .....

Erm, we build rather a lot of them in Derby and Newton Aycliffe.  Before you say "but the bodyshells come from outside the UK", I recall that years ago people used to proudly say they owned a "British" Ford Cortina, which was built in Germany and contained fewer British parts than the equivalent Volvo 200.  Most complex constructions contain parts from all over the world.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

With the end of the Class 91s approaching, I've looked back through my collection of the fastest ECML motive power I've photographed over the last near-20 years. Even with modern (powerful) digital cameras, for most of the time I fired the shutter, the weather was pretty grim!

Do you happen to also have any of Flying Scotsman? That would give you 99 years of ECML premier (debatable for the latest one!) traction without any gaps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Erm, we build rather a lot of them in Derby and Newton Aycliffe.  Before you say "but the bodyshells come from outside the UK", I recall that years ago people used to proudly say they owned a "British" Ford Cortina, which was built in Germany and contained fewer British parts than the equivalent Volvo 200.  Most complex constructions contain parts from all over the world.

Yes I appreciate that and no insult intended to anyone gainfully employed building or running the railways today. I was echoing TW's sentiment that a lineage has passed and think maybe the modern way of building and operating is part of this. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, grahame said:

The bo-bo-bo class 9's (also known as class 9000) are the most powerful loco in the UK. The class 92s, at 6760bhp, aren't far behind and have same maximum tractive effort at 90,000 lb/f. 

I should have qualified my comments.

The A4s are (and always will be) the fastest steam locos in the world. More 100 mph+ timings have been made behind them than any other class.

The Deltics (at their introduction) were the most-powerful single unit diesels in the world.

When the Class 91s were introduced they were the most powerful and fastest electric locos in Great Britain. 

I've not seen these Bo-Bo-Bo types you speak of (are they brand new?), but I doubt they'd qualify as ECML thoroughbreds. Do they regularly take express trains at speeds over 100 mph?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Do you happen to also have any of Flying Scotsman? That would give you 99 years of ECML premier (debatable for the latest one!) traction without any gaps.

With pleasure.........

1470669739_Introduction01.jpg.eb7a55d766c1aa030b76ceeebdb51c0a.jpg

Passing Bytham School in February 2016 on the occasion of her first revenue run on the main line (delayed because of imbeciles swarming over the tracks at Huntingdon). 

I suppose I should also include this wonderful loco.....

261742777_TornadoCreeton1161303.jpg.16cb560b4d4ce6972c8939f6a24cc087.jpg

Why do I always try and get my cabside numbers parallel with the footplate? 

1830281975_EurostarBytham230405.jpg.6f8e97039d512dcfbbcafcb4ead85adc.jpg

Do these qualify as 'locomotives'? There certainly won't be passengers in the leading and trailing vehicles.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I've not seen these Bo-Bo-Bo types you speak of (are they brand new?), but I doubt they'd qualify as ECML thoroughbreds. Do they regularly take express train at speeds over 100 mph?

They are the Eurotunnel shuttle locomotives.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

With pleasure.........

Passing Bytham School in February 2016 on the occasion of her first revenue run on the main line (delayed because of imbeciles swarming over the tracks at Huntingdon). 

Do these qualify as 'locomotives'? There certainly won't be passengers in the leading and trailing vehicles.

Regards,

Tony. 

The boiler 'skin' looks surprisingly smooth on Flying Scotsman! 

Lovely pictures! 

Regards, 

Jim. 

Edited by Jeepy
To add something.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

They are the Eurotunnel shuttle locomotives.

Built in Barnsley - and incidentally the sides of these locos are ripple free, part of the specification was that the sides should be completely flat. Qualter Hall had to go to a great deal of trouble to achieve this by stretching the side plates before welding them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

The A4s are (and always will be) the fastest steam locos in the world. More 100 mph+ timings have been made behind them than any other class.

The Deltics (at their introduction) were the most-powerful single unit diesels in the world.

When the Class 91s were introduced they were the most powerful and fastest electric locos in Great Britain. 

How the mighty have fallen!

(viewing the world without the benefit of LNER Green tinted glasses 😀)

50905324491_a1f31077b2.jpg

South Muskham Nottinghamshire 4th May 1963 by loose_grip_99, on Flickr

4452443316_b874d2971e.jpg

York. East Coast Main Line. 1960s. by jsb303, on Flickr

10612761314_da8c8c8d3b.jpg

Deltic does more freight by 37001, on Flickr

Deltic's cheats the power output Top-Trumps by having two engines!

I'd suggest loco haulage on the European mainland is little different to the use of Class 91 + Mk4 or class 68 ad Mk5s - basically fixed sets. I can't seen DB or NS adding coaches on an as and when basis depending on passenger numbers any more than BR/GNER/VTEC/LNER or TPEx do.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Chamby said:

The RTR manufacturers won’t do this... the limitations of their tooling means that every item would have identical dents, which just wouldn’t look right.

You get the same issue with any mass-production paint job where non-standard embellishment has been added by the manufacturer.  It might look good on the individual model, but is just wrong when a rake is assembled... 

Adding individuality to a model is definitively something best left to the modeller.

Also said dents in 4mm are minute, and virtually invisible in 2mm . Pointless exercise unless you have ultra gloss varnish models if even then.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

With pleasure.........

Regards,

Tony. 

I'm not sure if you need it for your records Tony, but the date of 60103's run along the ECML was 25th February 2016.

Here she is, working as 1Z60, a few miles further north from you approaching Temple Hirst Junction, with the then operating Eggborough Power Station in the background. 

864395729_601031Z60TempleHirstJn25022016-RMweb.jpg.3bec23cfe3aa5259d27021b69c3fda8e.jpg

Edited by 4630
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/08/2022 at 13:55, Tony Wright said:

All the kits purchased have been posted off this morning. However, due to a postal strike, guaranteed/tracked delivery next day means Thursday. Perhaps the PO needs to redefine what 'next day' delivery actually means!

May I request that anyone in receipt who has not paid as yet, please does so ASAP. The original owner is not well, and CRUK gets 10%. 

After a flat move he is settled and will pay tonight hopefully and I will reimburse him cash.

I rarely need to do this hence the delay, normally just use card info or paypal.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

With pleasure.........

Regards,

Tony. 

One power car you have to count is the worlds fastest Diesel train, you have pictures. 40 years of high speed running, superb.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Then you will have known my dear late colleague and friend Andrew H.

Yes I did. We worked together very well and we shared an interest in fast cars, Ferrari's as I am sure you know. His loss was a tragedy to his family and to the industry. He worked very hard and expected us all to do so. Many a weekend was spent at Crewe leading up to the delivery of the first class 91 which contractually had to be delivered on February 14th, which was a Sunday if I recall correctly. It didn't go down well with Mrs B and the family but had to be done.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Class 67 has a design speed of 125 mph but none has, to the best of my knowledge, ever been given its head to discover its actual capabilities in the way that (for instance) the IC125s were.

Whether we shall ever know if they have record-breaking potential is open to doubt - they are getting on a bit now...

John

• Informative/Useful 1

Talking of ECML thoroughbreds, I forgot to post this yesterday. 91-110 I hope this loco is to be preserved.

IMG_2251.JPG.fa360ea3b71683d9e26ef360355307f5.JPG

During Covid last year a Pendolino ran non stop London to Glasgow trying to break the time record, though it failed by just a minute or two - Avanti said they would try again. Here it is passing close to where I live near Boars Head, Wigan. Not far off the scheduled here.

IMG_1781.JPG.ab36abb10c2e8d6b3bb1f414c9f59842.JPG

My second North West railrover day out today saw me change my plans at Carlisle. The Barrow train I was to go on was cancelled so to avoid a wait I quickly jumped on a Leeds bound train just about to depart. The mood of the weather was more S&C today, mostly cloudy and a little rain on the high fells, not a bit like yesterday but Mrs Woman came along again cheerfully selling snacks, drinks and ice cream. I saw two or three aggregate trains and the log train which all help to keep the S&C alive.

A choice of trains was waiting at Leeds, a Trans Pennine 802 to Man Airport, a full 2 car train to Preston & Blackpool via the Cliviger Gorge route & Blackburn, or a trip to Lancaster on "The Bentham Line" , which I chose. Chaos ensued at Lancaster as nowt was running between Oxenholme and Penrith due to an incident, and no main line trains either going north (over Shap). A 3 car Windemere to Man Airport (via Wigan NW) came in, on time and was quickly rammed full. Most people left at Preston and besieged a waiting Pendolino, staff seemed to be working flat out to direct people.

I'll try again for the coast route tomorrow.

Brit15

• Like 10

(More than) a couple of times on this thread @Tony Wright has compared the cost RTR models of UK outline with brass-built kits, generally to the financial disadvantage of the kits. I think this may be comparing apples and strawberries. The US market is big enough and rich enough to have some RTR brass locomotives. When I see the price of these - although it's difficult to get exactly comparable locomotives - I'd say the brass RTR models are 2-3 times the prices of the plastic. Partly this is better detailing, but mostly I'd say it was that constructing models in brass is inherently more costly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Should running lamps have the same range of weathering as the locomotives that carry them? A quick look at prototype photos implies they should - some stand out well in daylight, some don't.

I'm asking because LB locos seem all to have gleaming white lamps, even when the loco is so (intentionally) dirty the livery is barely decipherable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Period photos show the majority to be clean but grubby around the edges and the base of the lamp's chimney. I'd guess the lamp-man would give them a wipe over with an oily cloth when they're refilled and wicks trimmed. In the later BR period I'd suggest they were cleaned a lot more often than the locos.

I'd suggest those on LB could use a wash of black/brown ink to take the shine off a bit.

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

As lamps are removeable and could technically be swapped between engines. It makes sense that they wouldn't therefore be as dirty as the engine they are currently attached to.

I wonder if the painting of lamps white was a safety measure so that they were to an extent visible even if the flame went out? Appreciate not all railways had white lamps