Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I do follow Arthur's thread (and have one of his Q5s to build).

I think though that his kit was/is  to be for a V/09 (which the LNER lumped together with the original Vs as class C6.

I just like the wide splashers of the Vs.

But there's no accounting for taste!

As most of you will know work on my kits has virtually stopped due to my recent loss. However I am trying to get things moving again. First priority will the 0-6-0Ts, classes J71 and J72 (short and long bunker), but the others have not been forgotten. I chose the V/09 because  of the smaller bogie wheels which did not require tapering of the front frames to get clearance. I intend to add the V in addition when I can clear the decks of the other outstanding kits.

To keep you happy here is one I scratchbuilt many years ago. 

post-6751-0-88570400-1489763610_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-58538800-1489763612_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

• Like 9

As most of you will know work on my kits has virtually stopped due to my recent loss. However I am trying to get things moving again. First priority will the 0-6-0Ts, classes J71 and J72 (short and long bunker), but the others have not been forgotten. I chose the V/09 because  of the smaller bogie wheels which did not require tapering of the front frames to get clearance. I intend to add the V in addition when I can clear the decks of the other outstanding kits.

To keep you happy here is one I scratchbuilt many years ago. 

attachicon.gifDSCN0411A.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0414.jpg

ArthurK

Thank you, very happy!

I thought of modelling 784 which was the last survivor in LNER green (albeit a bit shabby!)

I am with the Leader on the question of weathering as to my mind it makes the model look the part that we are trying to portray, It was very rare to see cleaned locos in the times that LB was set especially if they were on mundane daily duties as opposed to a prestige working. You chaps are so fortunate to have a portfolio of offerings either from kits or the retail  trade to vent your artistic skills on. Speaking of which our leader makes great mention of the various horse trading deals whereby and through which the great work of LB has come about. It is an admirable way of carrying on with mutual benefits all round to those involved. However, what about us folk who have no "trade able" skills? Perhaps we live in a modelling dessert where there are few fellow types to educate, emulate of encourage us in our endeavours.We are thus perhaps condemned to a life of dreaming what might have been had our talents taken other turns. In my case,I have issues with electrics (I do not understand them especially when relays and complex switches get involved.), and infrastructure as to boards and tracklaying especially out doors where my main line is supposed to run. Folk in my situation often  feel inadequate and as the reality of our situation seldom matches the dreams for the reasons mentioned along with the lack of financial resources to pay for the expertise required. Hence I guess they buy what they can and sit and use the purchases as a trigger to the wonderful world that exists in our heads where we all have an equivalent of LB or something similar. There are times when I feel like getting rid of it all and sitting in the chair and imagining what could have been if only the talent mix had been different!

Martin Long

I have made the point before about those modellers who have no other modellers to horse trade with. That's how I started but luckily for me that has changed. You might ask how I started. It was take it slowly and keep it simple. (My wood working and electrics are still not great). I also read books by Cyril Freezer and the Peco booklets were very helpful. By the way my points are still hand operated and the wiring is extremely simple. As I operate on my own the layout is almost one engine in steam. Please start and you may find you have a talent for some of the multiple skills that are required for railway modelling. I think my area might be the scenery and weathering (others may differ).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am moving lots of stuff into Really Usefull boxes so I can dump the original boxes.

Lots of Lima and Airfix boxes to go to recycling.

And I will be storing them in sets, loco and its coaches. But I could get 3 DMU sets in one box, freeing up space.

Yes that is correct. In fact I bought two Bachmann WR RODs a few years ago which complement the three O4/1s I bought (the last of these was second hand for about 40 pounds).

The two WR RODs have formed the basis for my O4/5 which uses a Bill Bedford 3D printed boiler and cab and the other for an accurate O4/3(ex ROD)on which I have used one of the Bachmann O4/1 boilers. The best thing about using the WR ROD for this is that it has the correct cab roof. Bachmann have excelled in not only making the footplate more accurate but have also made the correct cab roof for the ROD version - it had the rear piece of angle iron set further forward to allow for a tarpaulin to be rolled up and tied on top of the rear section of roof behind the angle iron in ROD days. Bachmann have also included the prominent boltheads on the front frame extensions on the WR ROD. There are some variations also in the inspection plates on top of the footplate which might not be correct for LNER versions but I wasn't fussed about that.

The O4/5 has a modified tender with water pick up fitted. Unfortunately I have had to use the Gibson water pickup hand wheel which has two spokes too many. There is a brass one available in an etch from Brassmasters but it appears to be too big in diameter. Both have had the cylinders raised to line up the piston rod with the centre of the driving axle. On the O4/5 I also swapped the buffer heads with those from a Bachmann D11 as they are a different shape - not so elliptical and correct for my O4/5.

These two plus the first Bachmann O4/1 I purchased trundle around my layout easily with 40 mineral wagons but of course can't out perform my old Ks O4 with its Portescap (fitted about 1981)!

One Bachmann O4/1 is spare at present and the bits from the other WR ROD will be used on other projects in the future - the boiler with some modification probably on my McGowan B4.

Photos of the O4/3 and O4/5 below.

Andrew Emmett

I really like your 04/5, weren't they a handsome looking engine. I wish I had taken advantage of the Bill Bedford body when they were available, c'est la vie.

I really like your 04/5, weren't they a handsome looking engine. I wish I had taken advantage of the Bill Bedford body when they were available, c'est la vie.

The o4/5 is available on 28 day delivery according to mousa.biz website. Just wish he get on withe o4/8!

The o4/5 is available on 28 day delivery according to mousa.biz website. Just wish he get on withe o4/8!

Great stuff, I picked up a cheap Bachmann chassis and got it back into working order a couple of years ago, with the thought it might come in handy one day. I shall be placing an order as soon as the current project is completed. Sheeting vans, two down six to go, ropes and numbering/lettering and a bit of weathering still to add.

post-26757-0-33318200-1489773435_thumb.jpg

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I am moving lots of stuff into Really Usefull boxes so I can dump the original boxes.

Lots of Lima and Airfix boxes to go to recycling.

And I will be storing them in sets, loco and its coaches. But I could get 3 DMU sets in one box, freeing up space.

You could consider selling them on eBay.  I've sold a number of wagon boxes that way in the past and on one occasion almost got as much for the box as I'd paid for the wagon a few weeks before.

I am with the Leader on the question of weathering as to my mind it makes the model look the part that we are trying to portray, It was very rare to see cleaned locos in the times that LB was set especially if they were on mundane daily duties as opposed to a prestige working. You chaps are so fortunate to have a portfolio of offerings either from kits or the retail  trade to vent your artistic skills on. Speaking of which our leader makes great mention of the various horse trading deals whereby and through which the great work of LB has come about. It is an admirable way of carrying on with mutual benefits all round to those involved. However, what about us folk who have no "trade able" skills? Perhaps we live in a modelling dessert where there are few fellow types to educate, emulate of encourage us in our endeavours.We are thus perhaps condemned to a life of dreaming what might have been had our talents taken other turns. In my case,I have issues with electrics (I do not understand them especially when relays and complex switches get involved.), and infrastructure as to boards and tracklaying especially out doors where my main line is supposed to run. Folk in my situation often  feel inadequate and as the reality of our situation seldom matches the dreams for the reasons mentioned along with the lack of financial resources to pay for the expertise required. Hence I guess they buy what they can and sit and use the purchases as a trigger to the wonderful world that exists in our heads where we all have an equivalent of LB or something similar. There are times when I feel like getting rid of it all and sitting in the chair and imagining what could have been if only the talent mix had been different!

Martin Long

Martin,

I don't know whether I qualify as a 'leader', just the one for whom Andy York started this thread. 

I frequently mention the point about horse-trading because the contributions of others should always be recognised and reiterated. 

I've been fortunate in that I have 'trade-able' skills in terms of railway modelling. It has always been a great privilege to belong to model railway groups where everyone in the group possesses similar, and different, skills. One chap thought I had been very lucky in being part of groups like that, but it's only because everyone in the group has/had these 'trade-able' skills that it's worked well. Just throwing money into a pot in the hope of being included was never an option. That might sound 'exclusive', and it probably is but we were all intent on making the very best layout(s) our skills would allow. You describe LB as 'great work', which is very kind of you, but that's only because I've been lucky to have so many wonderfully-talented contributors involved. That said, 'great work', or the work that's really influenced me is that achieved by the likes of Peter Denny and Frank Dyer. Pioneers in the making of singularly personal 'great' layouts.  

As to answering your question, I don't really know. Some people commission everything on a layout because they're not 'modellers' themselves, but that requires considerable fiscal resources (if the work is good) and it begs the question as to how much they really get out of it (or it does to me). It is their right, of course, but they end up with more of a series of possessions; desirable though they might be. As is well-known, I'm always drawn towards personal work, however inferior or humble. One should expect (indeed, insist that) professionally-built model railways are good, but the owner should never take on the mantle of being a modelling 'guru', which I have known happen. 

I'm always in awe of the likes of Westerner (Alan), the guy(s)/girl(s) who do everything for themselves. They're self-reliant, don't go on about not being able to do this or that and just get on with it. Graeme King and Micklner are another pair who come into that category.  Clive Mortimer is another (among many who post on this thread - too numerous to mention, but they know who they are). 

post-18225-0-45348100-1489775715_thumb.jpg

Clive came today, along with another mate (Andy). He brought this pair of artics he's working on, the origins being the old shorty Hornby Gresleys. Great stuff, fully in the King traditions!

post-18225-0-92911900-1489775716_thumb.jpg

He also brought this Sutton Locomotive Works' Class 24. I've never seen a better RTR loco from any source. It ran perfectly, too. That said, which of the two items illustrated do you think I was more interested in? 

My thanks to Clive and Andy for a really terrific day (and for Clive's hospitality at the Willoughby Arms). We ran right through the LB sequence and it's never been operated better. They're naturals! They worked it better than I ever could.

Finally Martin, keep on dreaming (and posting). I'm sure you'll derive a great deal of pleasure from your own personal modelling, and your work, as a Gauge O Guild representative at shows deserves mention and many thanks. That kind of activity in the hobby is just as important (if not more so) as my nailing locos together.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited to include an important 'difference'.

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, very happy!

I thought of modelling 784 which was the last survivor in LNER green (albeit a bit shabby!)

My C6 was 784 when in its green livery. My painting skills don't match up to my modelling skills so when I decided on a full refurbishment it was completely stripped. It now has a High-Level gearbox and Mashima motor rather than the XO4 style and Romford gears.

ArthurK

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nah, they're no use for anything, those coaches.

Hi Jonathan

Why? The diagram 107/108 twin I have started seems to be going OK.

I would be very pleased to know what I am doing wrong?

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Martin,

I don't know whether I qualify as a 'leader', just the one for whom Andy York started this thread. 

I frequently mention the point about horse-trading because the contributions of others should always be recognised and reiterated. 

I've been fortunate in that I have 'trade-able' skills in terms of railway modelling. It has always been a great privilege to belong to model railway groups where everyone in the group possesses similar, and different, skills. One chap thought I had been very lucky in being part of groups like that, but it's only because everyone in the group has/had these 'trade-able' skills that it's worked well. Just throwing money into a pot in the hope of being included was never an option. That might sound 'exclusive', and it probably is but we were all intent on making the very best layout(s) our skills would allow. You describe LB as 'great work', which is very kind of you, but that's only because I've been lucky to have so many wonderfully-talented contributors involved. That said, 'great work', or the work that's really influenced me is that achieved by the likes of Peter Denny and Frank Dyer. Pioneers in the making of singularly personal 'great' layouts.  

As to answering your question, I don't really know. Some people commission everything on a layout because they're not 'modellers' themselves, but that requires considerable fiscal resources (if the work is good) and it begs the question as to how much they really get out of it (or it does to me). It is their right, of course, but they end up with more of a series of possessions; desirable though they might be. As is well-known, I'm always drawn towards personal work, however inferior or humble. One should expect (indeed, insist that) professionally-built model railways are good, but the owner should never take on the mantle of being a modelling 'guru', which I have known happen. 

I'm always in awe of the likes of Westerner (Alan), the guy(s)/girl(s) who do everything for themselves. They're self-reliant, don't go on about not being able to do this or that and just get on with it. Graeme King and Micklner are another pair who come into that category.  Clive Mortimer is another (among many who post on this thread - too numerous to mention, but they know who they are). 

attachicon.gifClive Mortimer Hornby Gresley adaptations.jpg

Clive came today, along with another mate (Andy). He brought this pair of artics he's working on, the origins being the old shorty Hornby Gresleys. Great stuff, fully in the King traditions!

attachicon.gifSutton Locomotive Works Class 24.jpg

He also brought this Sutton Locomotive Works' Class 24. I've never seen a better RTR loco from any source. It ran perfectly, too. That said, which of the two items illustrated do you think I was more interested in? 

My thanks to Clive and Andy for a really terrific day (and for Clive's hospitality at the Willoughby Arms). We ran right through the LB sequence and it's never been operated better. They're naturals! They worked it better than I ever could.

Finally Martin, keep on dreaming (and posting). I'm sure you'll derive a great deal of pleasure from your own personal modelling, and your work, as a Gauge O Guild representative at shows deserves mention and many thanks. That kind of activity in the hobby is just as important (if not more so) as my nailing locos together.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited to include an important 'difference'.

Hello Tony

To start with a big thank you to you and Mo for putting up with Andy and I.

On the way home the conversation kept wandering off as they do but kept coming back to how much both of us enjoyed playing operating your layout. Apart form a few human errors in the fiddle yard all seemed to work very well.................if you don't include the lazy signalman who was slow to return the signals back to danger. Not one of the drivers drove through a signal at danger. 

I was very impressed by the variety of coaching stock in use today, and with the trains being formed of the correct coaches.

Again, thank you Tony for inviting us today.

• Like 1

I would be very pleased to know what I am doing wrong?

Oh, dear, I seem to have stirred something up. My comment was really aimed at Graeme, who (he'll correct me if I'm wrong) was motivated to create his corrected versions of the Margate Gresleys when he was told by a well known carriage researcher and builder (no longer a member of this forum) that they were absolutely no good and the best thing he could do was bin them.

• RMweb Premium

Oh, dear, I seem to have stirred something up. My comment was really aimed at Graeme, who (he'll correct me if I'm wrong) was motivated to create his corrected versions of the Margate Gresleys when he was told by a well known carriage researcher and builder (no longer a member of this forum) that they were absolutely no good and the best thing he could do was bin them.

Hi Jonathan

I think I understand where you are coming from.

My starting point with these was, what can be done with the old Hornby shorties? Would they do as parts for other LNER coaches? My answer after studying the diagrams and drawings I had, was "I'll have a go". I also wanted a twin non-corridor for my layout.  If mine turn out as good as Greenhowards have, then i will be happy. They may not be 100% accurate when finished but if they are identifiable as a model of a 107/108 twin then I will be happy. LNER coaches are not the easiest to model and if you want as I did a type not produced as RTR or as a kit then you need to look at other routes and as the shorties are quite common secondhand for about £10 each it seemed daft not to use them.

I have looked at using the large windows from the corridor sides for a third open but that looks like too many cuts and shuts.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

My 9F, at one time a rather ancient Hornby Evening star from the 1970's, it has gone through a series of changes over the years until only the body remains. Drive is on to the rear coupled wheels, so everything is up in the firebox. The object at the front end is the forward support bracket for the boiler, something not often modeled. Out in the garden, it has taken eighty wagons up the thirty-foot length of the one in seventy-five gradient of Rockery bank on the climb up to apple tree summit. On LSGC, it's usually on the summer Saturdays Sheffield Pool working, eleven bogies, a mere trifle. It's a bit of a hotch potch and I've been tempted to update the body but then nothing would remain of the original.

Changing direction slightly, I do like the way that so many garden railways have features or stations named after real elements of their surroundings.

I remember some layouts from the Modeller years ago - Bincliff, Lakeside and Shedley; Lilypool, Balustrade and South Western; and the North Charnian, which I think ran from Glasshouses to Bunker Bay.

• Like 2

Changing direction slightly, I do like the way that so many garden railways have features or stations named after real elements of their surroundings.

I remember some layouts from the Modeller years ago - Bincliff, Lakeside and Shedley; Lilypool, Balustrade and South Western; and the North Charnian, which I think ran from Glasshouses to Bunker Bay.

Yes, the terms are pretty descriptive. From Apple tree summit the line sweeps around over the Top path bridge, then Glasshouse curve and onto Glasshouse straight, then the line crosses the border bridge. You can then really open up down the long one in one hundred decent of flowerbed bank to Y shaped tree junction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nah, they're no use for anything, those coaches.

As a bit of fun I wondered what I could do with the short Railroad teaks. How about a 53'6" ECJS Clerestorey Comp Locker 3rd.

post-4738-0-92146200-1489795790_thumb.jpg

I made up the sides in 14 pieces cut from 2 coaches, scratchbuilt the roof and then cast the whole coach as one in resin, has a few things wrong with it but as a first time I thought it turned out ok and passes the 3' rule.

Next up is the 45' luggage brake

post-4738-0-58535500-1489795808_thumb.jpg

Only about 6 pieces on this side, I've cast as seperate sides/ends and this one is much better than the first.

At present I'm just using the RR underframe (Cut down) with the bogies to see how cheaply and easily I can make them.

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Like 9