Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Well Coachman, you'd love some of my day job's Building sites. I have a massive thing about being tidy and efficient.. (you have to be if your building over 3 to 4 levels and things as well as people can get "lost") which as people who know me is the opposite on my work bench! Day job is pride in getting things "finished" to 100% but modelling tends to get to about 90% and stagnates... though I have a group meeting  comming up in 16 days so the room will need to be tidied and a lot of modelling needs to happen! I have figured out where my time disappears too. Last night made it home by 7.00 eat dinner, deal with No1 son's science project sit down to watch some TV, Dog gets scared by some idjot letting off fire works.. therefore he comes and sits on me :sarcastichand:  (a 25KG solid lump of a beagle!) calms down... beagle goes to see what No1 son and No1 daughter are up too....fire works... repeat the sitting on. :sarcastichand: ... next thing I know it is 9.30 when I thought it was 8.30.... A bit late to start modelling but did manage to glue a set of steps back on a new D11. Well roll on to night I might be able to get done what I wanted on MONDAY.... I think I am being optimistic  :scratchhead:

I doubt if the Terrier will ever be brought out in one prototype livery, that of the Edge Hill Light Railway.  Two were purchased to take iron ore from the bottom of a steep incline at Edge Hill to sidings on the Stratford and Midland Junction Railway.  The financial worries that beset the EHLR from the beginning meant that the locos were used more on the S&MJR than on their home rails.  They were stored for over 20 years before finally being scrapped.

Anyone interested in the history (and photographs) of the EHLR can find them here.

• Like 1

I couldn't work on most of those workbenches......They're depressing. Tidiness = speed = £££'s.

I suppose it's whatever works for you, Larry.

I wish I could be tidier, but when I attempt it, I can't find the necessary tools or bits and pieces I need. By all that's holy, it should be easier, but not for me. 

Anyway, more than one loco a week completed (four with outside valve gear and all with tenders) and two more started since the beginning of last month is fast enough for me. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tony

I know exactly what you mean, my workbench, when in use, works on the volcano principle, what I need rises to the surface as bits around/over it get moved to another pile. I can always find what I need. Tidy up and things disappear!

Edited by Richard E

I sometimes tidy my workbench, but find it rapidly becomes untidy again. I am just chaotic and disorganised, and to make it worse, have a nasty habit of starting project #2 (or even project #22) before project #1 is finished. I think if I hit a snag (which I often do) I tend to leave that project and start another while I "think" about it.

I dare say we all have our ways. But it's no use trying to be other than one's self. I wish I had a mind that could draw up a list of things to be done and then work through it on a rational basis, but my head simply isn't equipped for that. I currently have four Elsecar POs on the bench in various states of completion. With a little effort I could have them finished in a day. But other stuff keeps intervening. Like the LSWR van whose plastic roof simply will not refrain from warping; forcing me to mess about with brass sheet instead, however against the grain that goes...

Edited by Poggy1165

Although I can confidentially lay claim to being the  founder of the messiest and most disorganised work bench know to mankind, I do at least discipline myself to always finish what  I've started even though I may not be completely happy with it . The reason for this is that I know full well that anything that is put aside with the promise to finish it later is never likely to happen, won't happen and never will.

Also, one of my major weaknesses is that I don't know when to walk away from things when they're not going quite to plan and, in consequence, many hours of work ends up in the wheely bin as I storm off to bed in disgust  ! -  Oh, and if you ever loose a small part of anything, before you dive under the table into that black abyss with a torch with a flat battery, or no bulb, or both, then first look under your elbow because nine times out of nine that's where it will be stuck and, if it isn't, then try next door's garden... 

Little known fact .

Kadee coupling springs have been known to end up in the next county.

Allan

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 1

On the subject of not starting something else till a job's finished, I started my layout 40 years ago but never finished because I kept starting other things - university, marriage, kids, car restorations, house decorating, 4 house moves etc. I'm finally at a stage where I can carry on with my layout - once I put a ceiling and insulation in the garage :)

At least I've managed to half complete a few buldings in the intervening years.  For the record, my workbench is used for everything and is never tidy.

graeme

• RMweb Gold

I give my workbench a good tidy and clean-up about twice a year. If it's in a grotty state, I'll also replace my cutting board - they don't cost much and it's nicer when they're still clean enough to be able to see all the lines. I use them for lining up axles and frames, or at least double-checking that the jigged alignment looks OK.

But the cleanliness never lasts; it soon degenerates into chaos. I see no point packing away modelling tools and components at the end of a session, equally there's no point clearing the whole worktop if all you want to do is solder a connection onto a bit of rail. Inevitably, though, the chaos grows until I have some decisive calamity, such as tipping over some flux or losing a critical component. Then I go into a Hulk-like rage before calming down and tidying up.

The only "clever" thing I've done recently, which has definitely improved efficiency, is to mount one of those DIY tool cabinet things onto the wall behind the bench, with each plastic drawer labelled for a specific thing such as Romford axles, top hat bearings, 145 solder etc. If nothing else, I'm careful about replacing those small, fiddly things back in their respective drawers when I've finished with them. Now I don't need to go delving through a huge box of "locomotive bits" for, say, a single crankpin washer. I built a couple of chassis in recent months and I was surprised at how much quicker they went when I wasn't constantly getting up from the bench to search for something.

Alastair

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Although I can confidentially lay claim to being the  founder of the messiest and most disorganised work bench know to mankind, I do at least discipline myself to always finish what  I've started even though I may not be completely happy with it . The reason for this is that I know full well that anything that is put aside with the promise to finish it later is never likely to happen, won't happen and never will.

Also, one of my major weaknesses is that I don't know when to walk away from things when they're not going quite to plan and, in consequence, many hours of work ends up in the wheely bin as I storm off to bed in disgust  ! -  Oh, and if you ever loose a small part of anything, before you dive under the table into that black abyss with a torch with a flat battery, or no bulb, or both, then first look under your elbow because nine times out of nine that's where it will be stuck and, if it isn't, then try next door's garden... 

Little known fact .

Kadee coupling springs have been known to end up in the next county.

Allan

Round here some people call them "Pingf**kits", as when they pop out and go Ping the immediate reaction is to say...

I saw this John Brown J10 on an earlier post of Tony's last Saturday. She was for sale so I purchased her. Thanks Tony for your prompt emails and delivery. The loco is a sweet runner, and nicely made and painted.

post-18225-0-72383700-1501337212_thumb.j

5198 was later BR 65198, her last shed was Wigan Springs Branch so she is now "home" on my GC Lower Ince / New Springs Branch "split personality" layout. I don't think she was shedded at Wigan Lower Ince (GC), but 10 other J10's were, along with a J11 or two.. When the shed closed on 24 March 1952 the J10's were transferred to nearby Springs Branch, and were used locally as Station pilot at Wigan NW, and the various yards and branches around Wigan. Apparently they were well liked by the LMS men at Springs Branch. 65198 was herself withdrawn on the 31/8/1961 from Springs Branch and was cut up at Gorton

http://www.railuk.info/steam/getsteam.php?row_id=18448

Here is a J10 on station pilot duties at Wigan NW - dad took the undated photo.

post-6884-0-29167500-1501757063_thumb.jpg

And here is a J10 on the New Springs Branch crossing Belle Green Lane level crossing. 

bxavlofc.jpg

Here are some views of 5198 on my work in progress Wigan LNW / GC Ince layout, earning her keep.

Lower Ince (GC) shed, alongside are two aincient "BEC" kitbuilt J11's on Tri-ang chassis.

post-6884-0-95086200-1501757300_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-00531700-1501757320_thumb.jpg

Wigan Goods (GC) Canal Bridge

post-6884-0-82973700-1501757360_thumb.jpg

Belle Green lane Level Crossing (LNWR)

post-6884-0-07617000-1501757344_thumb.jpg

A nice addition to the layout.

Brit15

• Like 17

I saw this John Brown J10 on an earlier post of Tony's last Saturday. She was for sale so I purchased her. Thanks Tony for your prompt emails and delivery. The loco is a sweet runner, and nicely made and painted.

5198 was later BR 65198, her last shed was Wigan Springs Branch so she is now "home" on my GC Lower Ince / New Springs Branch "split personality" layout. I don't think she was shedded at Wigan Lower Ince (GC), but 10 other J10's were, along with a J11 or two.. When the shed closed on 24 March 1952 the J10's were transferred to nearby Springs Branch, and were used locally as Station pilot at Wigan NW, and the various yards and branches around Wigan. Apparently they were well liked by the LMS men at Springs Branch. 65198 was herself withdrawn on the 31/8/1961 from Springs Branch and was cut up at Gorton

attachicon.gifWIGAN NW GC J10 65192 STATION PILOT ND.jpg

And here is a J10 on the New Springs Branch crossing Belle Green Lane level crossing. 

bxavlofc.jpg

Here are some views of 5198 on my work in progress Wigan LNW / GC Ince layout, earning her keep.

Lower Ince (GC) shed, alongside are two aincient "BEC" kitbuilt J11's on Tri-ang chassis.

attachicon.gifDSCF0993rszd.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0996rszd.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0999rszd.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1004rszd.jpg

Brit15

Lovely layout and lovely J10s; possibly my favourite engine, at least of the ones with single frames. I'd love a 7mm version.

attachicon.gifWIGAN NW GC J10 65192 STATION PILOT ND.jpg

bxavlofc.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0993rszd.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0996rszd.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0999rszd.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1004rszd.jpg

Brit15

Thanks for that,

I'm glad you're pleased with it. All I did to it (as you know) was to change the polarity (so that it ran the same way as everything else) by the simple expedient of turning the motor's magnet through 180 degrees (holding it in a pair of pliers to maintain the magnetic flux), check the pick-ups and cleaning/oiling it as necessary.  

I'm surprised it didn't sell earlier (nobody at Spalding seemed to want it), even at the 'bargain' price. It's not available RTR, and it does look a pretty loco. 

It should be made known as well that you paid more for it than was asked, with the extra going to Cancer Research. That's very generous of you, and my thanks for that. All being well, Mo and I aim to raise over £1,000 for Cancer Research by the end of the year by loco doctoring and by a percentage of sales from second-hand locos. It's your kind of generosity (and the generosity of my visitors and others) which is making this possible. 

post-18225-0-66027800-1501771685_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-29331400-1501771709_thumb.jpg

Here are two real J10s, with slight detail differences. Both will feature in my forthcoming Booklaw book (to be published next month). 

post-18225-0-92804600-1501771710_thumb.jpg

Here's another model J10, this time built from a Magna Models' kit. It was made by my elder son, Tom, 21 years ago when he was a 15 year old. I helped him scratch-build the chassis, he then made the body, painted, numbered/lettered it and weathered it. It's a pity he's not still in railway modelling because he was most-accomplished. Who knows, he might well return to it in time. 

• Like 15

A question, please, for those in the know on NER loco matters. 

I've just started building a Little Engines' A7 for a friend. I've erected the frames and soldered in the brake cross hangers as per the 4mm drawing supplied. The drawing shows all brake blocks in front of the wheels. Yet, some pictures in the RCTS Part 7 show the leading blocks behind the wheels. Are my eyes deceiving me? I've never seen this sort of thing on a loco before - it's either all behind or all in front on most classes. 

post-18225-0-60316300-1501795303_thumb.jpg

In this shot towards the end of the loco's life, the brakes are all in front. Yet, look at Figs 21, 22 and 23 in the RCTS Green Series Pt. 7. Were the blocks moved in later days? 

I haven't thoroughly read the piece on the class, but it's certainly an unusual feature. 

• Like 1

I'd never have thought that those 2D cottages would prove of so much interest. 

What I should have mentioned is that the scenes are 'made' by the work of the likes of Rob Davey, Ian Wilson, Richard Wilson and the late Dave Shakespeare (who made some of the trees). 

I've just started building a Little Engines' A7 for a friend. I've erected the frames and soldered in the brake cross hangers as per the 4mm drawing supplied. The drawing shows all brake blocks in front of the wheels. Yet, some pictures in the RCTS Part 7 show the leading blocks behind the wheels. Are my eyes deceiving me? I've never seen this sort of thing on a loco before - it's either all behind or all in front on most classes. 

I haven't thoroughly read the piece on the class, but it's certainly an unusual feature. 

Ken Hoole's 'Illustrated History of NER Locomotives' page 184 and 185 has pictures of these Class Y engines in NER livery. They all have the driving wheels braked from behind, with the the other two coupled wheels braked from in front.

NER Record Volume 3 page 133 has a drawing by R H Inness showing the same feature.

All three cylinders drove onto the leading coupled wheels.

Yeadon Vol21 page 58 states that ' Until October 1935 the brake blocks were applied to the rear of the leading coupled wheels. Beginning with 1180 on 17th October 1935, they were moved to a position in front of these wheels and, to suit them, the sandpipes had to be lengthened.'

I can't remember having seen this discussed before. I wonder whether it is significant that the precursive Class X 4-8-0s did not have brakes on the leading coupled wheelset, but in this case the drive was divided.

Edited by drmditch

Ken Hoole's 'Illustrated History of NER Locomotives' page 184 and 185 has pictures of these Class Y engines in NER livery. They all have the driving wheels braked from behind, with the the other two coupled wheels braked from in front.

NER Record Volume 3 page 133 has a drawing by R H Inness showing the same feature.

All three cylinders drove onto the leading coupled wheels.

Yeadon Vol21 page 58 states that ' Until October 1935 the brake blocks were applied to the rear of the leading coupled wheels. Beginning with 1180 on 17th October 1935, they were moved to a position in front of these wheels and, to suit them, the sandpipes had to be lengthened.'

I can't remember having seen this discussed before. I wonder whether it is significant that the precursive Class X 4-8-0s did not have brakes on the leading coupled wheelset, but in this case the drive was divided.

Many thanks for that information.

Though I have most of them, I don't have the Yeadon volume with the class in it. I don't have the Ken Hoole volumes either. 

As far as I can tell, the RCTS doesn't mention the brake positions at all.

Fortunately, the model is to be in post-'35 condition. 

Thanks again. What a mine of information this thread is. 

attachicon.gifA7 69781 Springhead Shed 24.07.55.jpg

In this shot towards the end of the loco's life, the brakes are all in front. Yet, look at Figs 21, 22 and 23 in the RCTS Green Series Pt. 7. Were the blocks moved in later days? 

Hi Tony. Will you be putting up a few shots of this little beastie under construction? I do have one in my roundtuit pile.  I'm intrigued as to how Little Engines resolved the problem of the bogie wheels fouling the cylinders, as this is a problem with the DJH A8,H1,B16 kits that I know of, and I suspect the Raven A2 & the NER Atlantic kits as well.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for that information.

Though I have most of them, I don't have the Yeadon volume with the class in it. I don't have the Ken Hoole volumes either. 

As far as I can tell, the RCTS doesn't mention the brake positions at all.

Fortunately, the model is to be in post-'35 condition. 

Thanks again. What a mine of information this thread is. 

The brakes on the front coupled axle of the A7 were originally behind the wheels with a reversal linkage to the wheels behind. The Isinglass drawing states that this was changed after 1943. Thereafter they were all in front of the wheels. I suspect that the 1935 date given by Yeadon is the correct one.

Edited to correct the bits in red!

A further comment re the X 4-8-0 by Drmditch that these did not have brakes on the front axle overlooks the fact that the none of the NER 0-8-0s had brakes on the leading axle. 

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK

Hi Tony. Will you be putting up a few shots of this little beastie under construction? I do have one in my roundtuit pile.  I'm intrigued as to how Little Engines resolved the problem of the bogie wheels fouling the cylinders, as this is a problem with the DJH A8,H1,B16 kits that I know of, and I suspect the Raven A2 & the NER Atlantic kits as well.

Good morning Mark,

I will do, but I'm not writing an article about it.

It would seem that a loco-build article in the 'traditional' sense is not so popular in the model press as it once was. I was told not long ago by someone in the industry at a show that it's a bit too 'niche'.

I suppose, like everything else, such things have had their day. What could I say that's new about the A7, especially with regard to getting clearance behind the cylinders? That all I do is 'cheat', as I have done when building B16/1s and an A8, by making the chassis electrically-dead, taking off metal from the backs of the cylinders (so that they're no longer round in end elevation, but it's difficult to see) and putting a thin layer of Araldite on the inner surfaces, just to ensure no shorts? And, by restricting the swing of the bogie?

All other procedures have been explained by me on many occasions - how to put together a motor/gearbox assembly, how to erect the frames squarely, how to fit pick-ups, how to ensure no binding in the rods/motion, how to get a loco body straight/square/round and all the other usual dodges for producing a 'reasonable' end result.

Does anyone think that some of the more recent articles in the mainstream model press are becoming less-challenging, or even less relevant to 'railway modelling'? Or, as is more likely the case, I'm getting less perceptive and even more reactionary. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Mark,

I will do, but I'm not writing an article about it.

It would seem that a loco-build article in the 'traditional' sense is not so popular in the model press as it once was. I was told not long ago by someone in the industry at a show that it's a bit too 'niche'.

I suppose, like everything else, such things have had their day. What could I say that's new about the A7, especially with regard to getting clearance behind the cylinders? That all I do is 'cheat', as I have done when building B16/1s and an A8, by making the chassis electrically-dead, taking off metal from the backs of the cylinders (so that they're no longer round in end elevation, but it's difficult to see) and putting a thin layer of Araldite on the inner surfaces, just to ensure no shorts? And, by restricting the swing of the bogie?

All other procedures have been explained by me on many occasions - how to put together a motor/gearbox assembly, how to erect the frames squarely, how to fit pick-ups, how to ensure no binding in the rods/motion, how to get a loco body straight/square/round and all the other usual dodges for producing a 'reasonable' end result.

Does anyone think that some of the more recent articles in the mainstream model press are becoming less-challenging, or even less relevant to 'railway modelling'? Or, as is more likely the case, I'm getting less perceptive and even more reactionary. 

Regards,

Tony. 

There will always be someone reading such an article for the first time, for whom the phrase 'the wheels were quartered in the usual way' will be immensely frustrating...