Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

I cannot keep up with the pace of this thread!

In between discussing judging, modes of propulsion, pick-ups, DCC and a myriad more things, I've actually done some modelling today. 

post-18225-0-73318900-1517863843_thumb.jpg

I've done some more to the DJH A2/3 I'm building. The tender is complete, and the whole lot (I hope) should be finished by the weekend to show at Doncaster (Mo's health taking precedence, of course). 

As SUN CASTLE it'll then join its siblings on LB. 

post-18225-0-55725400-1517863992_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-84409000-1517864019_thumb.jpg

Including two other DJH A2/3s I've built for myself.

post-18225-0-75392300-1517864071_thumb.jpg

And a Crownline one. All the above have been painted perfectly by Ian Rathbone. 

post-18225-0-16056300-1517864125_thumb.jpg

There is another as well, a Bachmann A2/Graeme King conversion. Graeme did this conversion for me and I finished it off by adding detail, patch-painting it, numbering/naming it and weathering it. 

When Geoff Haynes has painted 60523, that'll mean a fifth of the class on LB. Surely that's enough!

• Like 12

Hi Tony,

No the body isn't electrically live but the frames are. The two are isolated (insulated?) from each other by the simple means of coating the underside of the body with super glue and cigarette paper - or a pad of insulating tape. One of the many advantages of split axle/ frame pickup is that it doesn't matter if the wheels occasionally touch the frames as both are live to the same polarity. I will however concede that isn't as straightforward with Romford/Markit wheels.

As an amusing aside, you might not advocate DCC to anyone but at least one chap who came to see you at Southampton cited one of the DVDs you did as persuading him to adopt digital ........ the spawn of satan indeed! :-))

Jerry

I did tell him I was only acting, but I was staggered nonetheless. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Clive,

I should have made my comments clearer.

My disliking of Hornby's tender drive is an aversion to seeing a loco being punted along by its tender, with its motion locked solid!

Hello Tony

A visual delight us "modern image" modellers sadly miss.

Tony,

Thank you for showing your B1 fleet and the chassis separated from body. Are the Comet chassis considered a perennial or do I need to consider buying whilst available as they may fold (pun unintended) anytime soon?

Have you ever used the EasiChas system and do you have any views on the concept and the product?

• RMweb Premium

Jerry,

I did t

I did tell him I was only acting, but I was staggered nonetheless.

He’s not the only one as I’m sure I’ve told you. When I was wavering I bought the DVD. You were such a convincing actor that I thought if it’s good enough for Tony Wright then it’s good enough for me!

On the subject of DCC and live chassis, I wasn’t trying to say that it isn’t possible, nor that shorts are only a problem for DCC. But a momentary short on DC results in a stutter which may not even be noticeable, whereas on DCC it causes a system reset which stops all trains running, at least those in the same power district - not clever! Such shorts seem to happen occasionally on most of my kit built locos where one side is live. It is possible to eliminate them, but it can be a long and frustrating job.

Bachmann split chassis are another matter. Isn’t the problem there that the motor is live to one polarity, making conversion an extremely difficult proposition. I could be wrong on this as I’ve never tried.

Regards

Andy

Since I have little time for modelling at the moment (the curse of being self-employed and having other hobbies as well) I'm occasionally buying RTR locomotives to acquire the often beautifully painted body shells. Since I've not yet decided if I shall model OO or EM what I do with these locomotives, or body shells, is uncertain but I know that I'm unable to build paint and line to the same degree of perfection. 

As an advocate of EM I feel I should ask you if there is anything we (the EMGS) can do to help you make your decision whatever that turns out to be?

Frank

• Like 1

I cannot keep up with the pace of this thread!

In between discussing judging, modes of propulsion, pick-ups, DCC and a myriad more things, I've actually done some modelling today. 

attachicon.gifDJH A2 3 03.jpg

I've done some more to the DJH A2/3 I'm building. The tender is complete, and the whole lot (I hope) should be finished by the weekend to show at Doncaster (Mo's health taking precedence, of course). 

As SUN CASTLE it'll then join its siblings on LB. 

attachicon.gifLamps 04.jpg

attachicon.gifA2 3 60516.jpg

Including two other DJH A2/3s I've built for myself.

attachicon.gifRM Little Bytham 06.jpg

And a Crownline one. All the above have been painted perfectly by Ian Rathbone. 

attachicon.gifA2 3 60515.jpg

There is another as well, a Bachmann A2/Graeme King conversion. Graeme did this conversion for me and I finished it off by adding detail, patch-painting it, numbering/naming it and weathering it. 

When Geoff Haynes has painted 60523, that'll mean a fifth of the class on LB. Surely that's enough!

Tony,

I know I've said this before but I love the locos you build ... its the sense of weight and mass they seem to acquire somehow ... and interestingly from the photos the Bachman B1s on the Comet chassis in the earlier posting, by some alchemy, to my eye have the same sense of mass. Alongside the fact that they represent individual engines, this is why a hand built or substantially worked upon model will at its best always be better than one straight from the box. Frankly, without this quality, all the fiddly detail is just that .... for me the impression is the first and most important aspect - then you can focus in and enjoy the detail etc. It is for this reason that I also much prefer a properly weathered loco over a display case pristine product ... after all they were intensely practical machines.

Tony,

Thank you for showing your B1 fleet and the chassis separated from body. Are the Comet chassis considered a perennial or do I need to consider buying whilst available as they may fold (pun unintended) anytime soon?

Have you ever used the EasiChas system and do you have any views on the concept and the product?

Though I cannot speak for Comet, I'd be staggered now if the range disappeared. 

What's the EasiChas system? I've never heard of it. 

Tony, I suppose I posed the question because I DO regard myself as an average modeller, as Clive apparently does, who uses much RTR (particularly locos) although as you have kindly mentioned I do personalise the locos and stock, But I am pleased to say that the layouts that have adorned the railway room have been built by me. Baseboards, track laying (Peco and at times a bit iffy) scenery, backscene (my painting), buildings a mixture of kits, kitbashed and on Kingsbridge a couple of RTP. I am pleased with what I have achieved although certain areas could be better, At the moment the large layouts (12ft x 8ft) have gone and stock sold to fund my present layout which is in build, this time I have had some one build the baseboards (Tim Horn).

With each layout I appear to have set myself new challenges.

Wencombe's was getting the feeling of a small passing station in the middle of the Devon country side. I feel I was reasonably successful.

Kingsbridge Regis which was the terminal of the Wencombe branch (based very roughly on Kingswear) presented me with the challenge of lots of buildings. I chickened out of scratch building them as my ability to cut plasticard square is limited to possibly only 2 sides, not so clever when 4 sides are needed. So I resorted to kit bashing American kits (as I did with the Dairy/creamery at Wencombe) and Metcalf kits. Again I was pretty pleased with the outcome when looked through squinted eyes to get the impression of a Devon seaside station.

with the new layout Louville Lane I have set myself a much more urban look, again I will be using Walthers kits as a basis for my buildinss. I hate to say it they are a joy yo build compared to some of the Wills and Ratio kits.

Enough of talking about myself perhaps some photos of what I've done may help those who write on this thread who have not followed or looked at my thread.

The first 4 photos are from my Wencombe layout

attachicon.gif5 63xx at wencombe f5.jpg

attachicon.gif6Wencombe creamery f6.jpg

attachicon.gif7milk train leaves f7.jpg

attachicon.gif8warship and bubble car leave f8.jpg

The next 4 photos are of my last layout Kingsbridge Regis

attachicon.gif1harbour view f1.jpg

attachicon.gif2cornishman leaving f2.jpg

(the houses behind the station are Kit bashed Walthers kits

attachicon.gif3s devon arr f3.jpg

attachicon.gif4under the shed f4.jpg

Whoops I forgot I did scratch build a couple of buildings, the train shed and the goods shed both based on Kingswear.

As you may all have noticed I do not build locos.

I felt I needed to get this off my chest. I know Tony has seen my locos and has been extremely complimentary as he is in the quoted post, but most of you haven't seen my stuff so I felt it needed viewing. I hope it may encourage  you to look not only at my layout thread but at other layout threads on RMweb to see what average modellers can achieve with RTR stock as I suspect the vast majority of those who build their own layouts do not have the space for a layout capable  of running full length trains. From WR/GWR I can heartily recommend A nod to Brent and Little Muddle to name but 2 of the many excellent layout on here which run RTR stock.

This must be my longest post ever on RM Web I'm out of breath and my 2 typing fingers are hurting. I nearly typed my 2 fingers were hurting, but then I thought that might have unintended connotations.

edited as one photo appeared twice

Some top draw weathering here me thinks

He’s not the only one as I’m sure I’ve told you. When I was wavering I bought the DVD. You were such a convincing actor that I thought if it’s good enough for Tony Wright then it’s good enough for me!

On the subject of DCC and live chassis, I wasn’t trying to say that it isn’t possible, nor that shorts are only a problem for DCC. But a momentary short on DC results in a stutter which may not even be noticeable, whereas on DCC it causes a system reset which stops all trains running, at least those in the same power district - not clever! Such shorts seem to happen occasionally on most of my kit built locos where one side is live. It is possible to eliminate them, but it can be a long and frustrating job.

Bachmann split chassis are another matter. Isn’t the problem there that the motor is live to one polarity, making conversion an extremely difficult proposition. I could be wrong on this as I’ve never tried.

Regards

Andy

Andy,

Since I've never really investigated how a split chassis works (or doesn't work!), I have little idea which polarity is which (once released from the body, they're given, or chucked, away). However, I believe that each motor brush is live to one side of the chassis - one each side. There don't appear to be any wires connecting them, because there are no pick-ups. 

What I do know is that the insulated plastic muffs in the centre of the axles split over time, resulting in the wheels coming off and the quartering being jiggered. 

Tony, I suppose I posed the question because I DO regard myself as an average modeller, as Clive apparently does, who uses much RTR (particularly locos) although as you have kindly mentioned I do personalise the locos and stock, But I am pleased to say that the layouts that have adorned the railway room have been built by me. Baseboards, track laying (Peco and at times a bit iffy) scenery, backscene (my painting), buildings a mixture of kits, kitbashed and on Kingsbridge a couple of RTP. I am pleased with what I have achieved although certain areas could be better, At the moment the large layouts (12ft x 8ft) have gone and stock sold to fund my present layout which is in build, this time I have had some one build the baseboards (Tim Horn).

Wencombe's was getting the feeling of a small passing station in the middle of the Devon country side. I feel I was reasonably successful.

Kingsbridge Regis which was the terminal of the Wencombe branch (based very roughly on Kingswear) presented me with the challenge of lots of buildings. I chickened out of scratch building them as my ability to cut plasticard square is limited to possibly only 2 sides, not so clever when 4 sides are needed. So I resorted to kit bashing American kits (as I did with the Dairy/creamery at Wencombe) and Metcalf kits. Again I was pretty pleased with the outcome when looked through squinted eyes to get the impression of a Devon seaside station.

with the new layout Louville Lane I have set myself a much more urban look, again I will be using Walthers kits as a basis for my buildinss. I hate to say it they are a joy yo build compared to some of the Wills and Ratio kits.

Enough of talking about myself perhaps some photos of what I've done may help those who write on this thread who have not followed or looked at my thread.

Whoops I forgot I did scratch build a couple of buildings, the train shed and the goods shed both based on Kingswear.

I felt I needed to get this off my chest. I know Tony has seen my locos and has been extremely complimentary as he is in the quoted post, but most of you haven't seen my stuff so I felt it needed viewing. I hope it may encourage  you to look not only at my layout thread but at other layout threads on RMweb to see what average modellers can achieve with RTR stock as I suspect the vast majority of those who build their own layouts do not have the space for a layout capable  of running full length trains. From WR/GWR I can heartily recommend A nod to Brent and Little Muddle to name but 2 of the many excellent layout on here which run RTR stock.

This must be my longest post ever on RM Web I'm out of breath and my 2 typing fingers are hurting. I nearly typed my 2 fingers were hurting, but then I thought that might have unintended connotations.

Thanks for posting Alan,

I have one thing to say: if what you've shown us you consider to be 'average' modelling, then you're more nuts than I am (and that's saying something)! 

I wouldn't call Clive's modelling, or the others you've mentioned 'average' either. 

I'm almost back to writing reports; how about 'Considerable progress made, resulting in (well) above average achievement in his peer group'? That do? 

• Like 2

Mucky old Bongos !!! - not my lucky loco either in real life or model. I only ever saw a few, and all those were on the scrapline, never remember seeing one in steam.

Here's two of the last, 61123 & 61189 (a namer !!) both at Wakefield shed in October 1967, then a collection point for West Riding locos to be forwarded to the scrapman at Draper's Hull (mostly).

post-6884-0-65300700-1517869144.jpg

And poor old 61041 & 90416 at central Wagon Ince Wigan awaiting the torch. Around 1965 or so.

post-6884-0-23331500-1517869333_thumb.jpg

As to the RTR models, I have 2 very old Replica split chassis with the horrid plastic driver spokes, the wheels have bent and they both run with a limp and sound dreadful. One is permanently parked at the back of the shed (renumbered 61123 !!) and the other is on carriage warming duties in the carriage sidings - just like the real thing !!

I have a Bachmann version that ran with a dreadful stutter from new. Investigation showed by connecting leads to the motor it ran well - so pick up problems. The plate underneath was removed, wheels lifted slightly and the trouble found - the brass bushes did not conduct electricity to the frames either side - The slots the bushes sit in were brightened up with very fine emery paper, a little lubrication with switch cleaner (servisol) and now it runs sweetly. I've done this to a stuttering Jubilee also with success.

A recent Hornby B1 runs very well (fingers crossed !!).

Bongos !! - rarely seen in Wigan, though Agecroft shed Manchester had a few in the early 60's (from Leicester Central shed if I remember) and were occasional visitors, I've only ever seen photos of these in Wigan - Other B1's visiting Wigan were not so lucky, they never returned home.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

If that is average, then I think I’ll give up now! Fantastic looking layouts.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan

Your modelling is above average, especially Wencombe . It just oozed atmosphere. It didn't need scratcthbuilt, kitbuilt or built by someone else locos because the types you need to portray your "small passing station in the middle of the Devon country side" are available. It is how you made them fit in with the scenery that takes Wencombe above average. Something I am useless at.

I'm only average because I don't build my own track, I can but won't. I only seem to part finish things. When I paint something I made it looks worse painted than when it was raw. The main thing that makes me average and hope others feel the same is I enjoy my hobby. I don't consider myself better than anyone else or that anyone is better than me. Other people make better models than me but are not superior to me. Hence I am average.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that the topic of live chassis and DCC has come up, I was just debating the same thing for my 47xx which I have just realised only came with one set of insulated wheels. I have been debating buying 4 more insulated drivers, and now thinking even more strongly that is the route I should take.

The alternative I was contemplating is to insulate both the pony truck (difficult) and footplate from the frames in order to minimise the chance of a short. I think I will definitely be using a decoder that has an idiot proof warranty!

Interesting that the topic of live chassis and DCC has come up, I was just debating the same thing for my 47xx which I have just realised only came with one set of insulated wheels. I have been debating buying 4 more insulated drivers, and now thinking even more strongly that is the route I should take.

The alternative I was contemplating is to insulate both the pony truck (difficult) and footplate from the frames in order to minimise the chance of a short. I think I will definitely be using a decoder that has an idiot proof warranty!

Though I cannot speak for Comet, I'd be staggered now if the range disappeared. 

What's the EasiChas system? I've never heard of it.

Easi chas is the branchlines (I think) fold up chassis to go over rtr chassis in order to make them em or p4 reusing as much as possible. I like you have not looked much further than this as I work in 00 . However some must like it as they have made more than one type.

Average! that's nothing, when I were a lad my modelling was so average that I once made an entire working model of t' East coast mainline out of toenail clippings, and it fitted in to a cupboard. It was so average that the locomotives ran on nuclear power an t' scenery waz made of pure gold, that's how average it waz. People would come from miles around just to avoid it. I had to move out and live in an ice cream van because it were so dull, that and the radiation. And you young folk think your so average nowadays, you no nowt.

Edited by Headstock

Some of the later split chassis Bachmann B1's and probably others came such that the motor was isolated from the chassis with the electrical connections being achieved by little springs contracting both the motor and their respective chassis side.  Removal of these springs gave an isolated motor.  All the owner had to do then was drill and tap (although I found that with careful sizing one could simply force screw in a good quality steel screw) each side of the chassis and attach to decoder or in my case to additional pickups on the tender.  My experience with the new Bachmann B1 chassis is that they are good runners but unless one adds extra weight and there is not much room for extra weight, they do not have the hauling power of the old split chassis.

Re RTR longevity; I have a couple of Bachmann WD's that have been running for at least 14 years  (they came out about 2003) pulling about 35 coal wagons, one growls a bit but it always has.  I have a loco drive Hornby A3 that has been running again for about 10 years and a couple of loco drive later model Hornby A4's purchased about 2009 and 2010.  All pulling 9 or 10 coach trains made of of Bachmann Mk1s, Hornby Greslys and early Bachmann Thompsons.  Re running, a lap of my circuit is at least 60' which most do at least 2 or 3 times and sometimes many more each running session and I would estimate I have had a running session between 150 and 200 days a year on average over the time span involved  So applying conservative maths that is 60 x 2 x 150 x 14 or 250,000' or about 48 miles for the WDs and about 24 miles for the A4s and A3.  Note I have double and triple checked my maths and purchase dates because I am having a hard time believing my own numbers.   However, even if I have messed up by a factor of two, the numbers are pretty impressive.  Against this I have had to replace a motor in a Bachmann A1 but it was a known problem and has run for at leat 10 years on the same circuit as above since the motor was replaced.  I have had to make Comet chassis for two J39s and most of my B1s have had new Bachmann chassis.   FYI, I do have a roundy round but it is automated such that a session is about 25 mins and consists of 9 trains in each direction running at appropriate speeds.  so I don't get bored.

Edited to correct typos.

Edited by Theakerr
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As regards the Blue Pullman's I can echo Chrisf's comments about the 6 car units.  I remember seeing them leave Paddington as coupled pairs in 1971 when I was doing a sort of gap year. So at least the 6 car sets need a coupler.

Jamie

In original blue livery with no jumper cables?

Edit: Enterprisingwestern beat me to it. The perils of most of you lot posting in the middle of the night where I am.

Edited by St Enodoc

I assume Geoff Brewin designed the current Comet chassis.

He did, Phil,

What amused me (many years ago) was that the original designer (the late Steve Woofe) rather poo-pooed any comments about the wrongness of the original Comet B1 chassis from the likes of Roy Jackson, Tony Geary and me (and probably others). When I built my first one, I couldn't understand why it didn't look 'right'. Not only that, one frame was a tiny bit longer than the other, resulting in a 'fan' effect with the driving axles without alteration. I still have it!

Everything Geoff Brewin did was spot-on. 

• RMweb Premium

I would go for insulated drivers if you can get them. It will save you hassle later on. However, in my experience, it will not necessarily eliminate the chip frying type of event. I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that the system shut down is there to protect the chip, and does so pretty effectively. What cause chip frying is a short across either the chip terminals or the motor terminals. I've had this once, when both motor terminals touched the inside of a white metal body (which I had been too lazy to insulate). So to prevent chip frying stick plenty of insulating tape around the inside of the metal body.

This is based on my reading and experience. If anyone more expert in DCC would like to correct me, please go ahead.

Andy