Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Grahame, this was a bit of a challenge for a novice:

attachicon.gifIMAG4099.jpg

The scale does make detailing the track a little easier though:

attachicon.gifIMAG3909.jpg

(special chairs on the crossing are 3d printed)

attachicon.gifIMAG3962.jpg

If you have any aspirations to be a proper modeller Chris, you should have someone else to build your track.

Mike.

Many thanks to Tony and Mo for their lovely hospitality today.

As Tony has mentioned, the chassis building was sadly caught short, but the next instalment will be something to look forward to in several weeks. There was some interesting aspects to the chassis which raised Tony's eyebrows a couple of times......tabs that didn't align, and screw spaces that wasn't wide enough to bridge between the frames. Not an issue though with Tony's help.

I've posted several times about the K1 and B1 so I don't think there is much to add. The B1 will next have archers rivets applied and then will be ready for weathering. The K1 will be renumbered next. The Brake Van is Bachmann's LNER Toad D, however it required the handrails to be fully replaced to be correct (they had just copied what they had done on the BR Standard Brake Van). Need to sort out couplings, lamp irons, rivet details next and finally weathering.

I'll look at editing the video footage together tomorrow, I think we have taken some nice shots. As for my camera, I much appreciate Tony's help on advising me on the settings required for taking model photography. I've had a play around and I don't think they look too bad.

attachicon.gifDSC01797 (1).jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01803.jpg

Thanks again for today Tony! 

Good morning Tom,

It was our pleasure. Glad you got back safely.

Thanks for posting your pictures. The A1, being more side-on has more in focus, but the A4 picture has worked well as well. The difference between your minimum F22 and my minimum F32 aperture has made a difference to the depth of field, though how much of a difference the relative focal length of the lenses on the cameras has made, I don't know. Certainly, because of its greater bulk, mine has the eye-line of a giant. I've cropped my picture to be more in line with yours for a more direct comparison; see below, please. 

post-18225-0-23354400-1524382260_thumb.jpg

The coupling is still crooked!

Regarding the foibles of loco kits, I think I just take it for granted that there are one or two 'bottomless pits' which will be encountered in the majority. These will include.....

Parts which don't fit properly.

Parts, which even if they fit (eventually) need so much cleaning off as to be a real fag.

Etched tabs which don't line up with etched slots, or, the former are too big (fat) or (worse still) too small, resulting in slop. 

Bodies which need modification because they're not designed to take more modern motor/gearboxes, or, because they're designed (still) for an old-fashioned X04-type motor, still have a great gash in the underneath of the boiler, or a great gash in the frames. 

Brake hangers which are too close to the wheels (designed around scale dimensions?)

Splashers which need lots taking out inside them because they foul (even) scale wheels. 

There are many more - anyone like to add to the list?

And, don't even mention instructions or exploded drawings.

At the risk of sounding the complete pompous ar$e, I was not in the least bit surprised yesterday to find that the etched tabs/slots in the frames didn't line up. Neither was I surprised that the turned spacers didn't fit and were, effectively, useless. That I have hundreds of spare etched spacers is a consequence of my having built hundreds of kits, but the inexperienced builder might well believe that he/she has done something wrong. 

On Friday a mate came round with a 'problem' loco. He was having real difficulties in rolling and fitting a smokebox, an 'outer smokebox' and a wrapper on a loco he was building. The wrapper proved to be too short and needed bits grafting in at its base. An 'easy' job for me - roll the components accurately using my rolling bars, hold everything together with soft, iron wire and the biggest  bu&&er of a soldering iron to fix it all together (and asbestos fingers!). Job done, but he (and he's experienced in making locos) was completely stuffed. Some little time ago, I began helping another friend build a loco kit (from a good source) but he was astonished at how much needed altering, right from the word go. It remains in its box. 

The one thing I was surprised at yesterday was that you were sold a too-big motor for your little loco. Though it would have fitted to the gearbox, it wouldn't have fitted into the loco.

Never mind, another day of 'learning' awaits.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

If you have any aspirations to be a proper modeller Chris, you should have someone else to build your track.

Mike.

In that case I'm going backwards. ;-p

Somebody else always laid the track on all the previous layouts I've been involved with. My previous attempt at building a turnout (20yrs ago in EM) was ripped up and binned! It's taken me until now to have another go.

Whilst undoubtedly there are folk out there I could have paid to do it and would have done a better job, I've persisted in overcoming my own fears and have learned a new skill along the way. Couldn't have done it though without all the help, advice and generosity of folk on RMweb.

The first two turnouts I made weren't quite right and were treated as trial runs. They were subsequently stripped down and all the parts (except chairs) reused. Worth having a go and being able to say "I made that".

• Like 7

Are the first two carriages the new Bachmann Thompson stock? 

They are indeed, Robert,

Probably not dead right for 'The Northumbrian' at a later period (it should be mainly Mk. 1s, with exception of the 1938 Scotsman triplet, with standing bar, which I've got in the rake). However, I have seen Thompsons in the train, and they are such beautiful models after all. All I did was bin the tension-locks, made my own couplings, added (just a bit) of detail and weathered the ends, underframes and roofs. Ian Wilson's coach boards just finishes them off.

Are they better than the umpteen Thompsons I've made from kits? Probably!

In that case I'm going backwards. Somebody else always laid the track on all the previous layouts I've been involved with. My previous attempt at building a turnout (20yrs ago in EM) was ripped up and binned! It's taken me until now to have another go.

Whilst undoubtedly there are folk out there I could have paid to do it and would have done a better job, I've persisted in overcoming my own fears and have learned a new skill along the way. Couldn't have done it though without all the help, advice and generosity of folk on RMweb.

The first two turnouts I made weren't quite right and were treated as trial runs. They were subsequently stripped down and all the parts (except chairs) reused. Worth having a go and being able to say "I made that".

Chris,

You keep on doing what you're doing. If anyone is a 'proper' modeller, you are.

I think the post you responded to was supposed to be said in humour (which I took as such), and even a little 'pop' at me. I could, however, be completely wrong in this. 

You do show your work, which is laudable. Please, keep on showing us. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chris,

You keep on doing what you're doing. If anyone is a 'proper' modeller, you are.

I think the post you responded to was supposed to be said in humour (which I took as such), and even a little 'pop' at me. I could, however, be completely wrong in this. 

You do show your work, which is laudable. Please, keep on showing us. 

Regards,

Tony.

Thanks Tony, I know Mike of old from the exhibition circuit and have spent many a happy hour trading insults in jest!

• Like 1

04/8 now in black, few things still to do such as couplings and manufacturing a set of drain cocks. Another one of the excellent Bradwell B1 chimney as featured on this thread sits on top of the beast , though this one has been chopped in half, an insert added, then joined back together to get the right height.

Headstock, I have to say that's a lovely representation of an O4/8. I'd be interested to know a little bit more on how you went about it. Is it utilising a Bachmann chassis?  I particularly like your modified Dave Bradwell chimney which captures the O4/8 look perfectly. I've used a modified Graeme King GN chimney on my Little engines version of Colwick's 63873 (below) and although it's very close, I don't think it's quite there. How much insert did you need and what did it consist of, brass tubing or turning? 

Great also, to see the other contributions and creations on this wonderful thread of Tony's. It's so enjoyable and very inspiring to appreciate the level of craftsmanship displayed, especially for a lone modeller such as myself.

Best wishes,

Clem

post-15879-0-27472400-1524404833_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Headstock, I have to say that's a lovely representation of an O4/8. I'd be interested to know a little bit more on how you went about it. Is it utilising a Bachmann chassis?  I particularly like your modified Dave Bradwell chimney which captures the O4/8 look perfectly. I've used a modified Graeme King GN chimney on my Little engines version of Colwick's 63873 (below) and although it's very close, I don't think it's quite there. How much insert did you need and what did it consist of, brass tubing or turning? 

Great also, to see the other contributions and creations on this wonderful thread of Tony's. It's so enjoyable and very inspiring to appreciate the level of craftsmanship displayed, especially for a lone modeller such as myself.

Best wishes,

Clem

Clem,

The original intention was to see what could be done to disguise the white metal nature of the locomotive as supplied. However, there was quite a few dimensional problems with the Little engines kit. It being too short in the chassis, the running board and also the cab side sheets and roof. So I decided to swap the parts over with the Bachmann version, currently the little engines short chassis and running board are becoming a Q4 0-8-0, with the intention of mounting a somewhat heavily modified Bachmann cab and boiler on the top. The Bachmann Chassis and running board have the little engines O4/8 boiler and cab mounted on it. In the past I have extended the little Engines components to my satisfaction with an O4/7 but this time I thought I would try something a little different.

The modifications were as follows. The cab side sheets were extended forwards of the front side window. The window's themselves were cut out on the back to accommodate better glazing and the sliding window frame, the cab was general chamfered to give a thin sheet appearance.

The boiler was pretty ropey as supplied, so I soldered it up and filed it all down, checking the diameter as I went. I decided to remove all boiler detail in the process and reinstate it latter after getting a good smooth finish. This insured an invisible joint between smoke box and boiler and allowed the shortening of the firebox by two mm at it's forward edge were it sits between the frames. The dome I filed up myself and the chimney was cut and a white metal scrap insert was soldered between the two parts, this made it easier to file down and shape without damaging the existing brass casting. The smokebox door came off an old Hornby B17 or D49 smokebox sitting in the scrap box.

The cab is soldered directly to the boiler and made so that both can be screwed on and off  the Bachmann running board. The cab roof was completely replaced, that being supplied being two short and not very well detailed. The Bachmann running board had the step out over the cylinders corrected and a frame extension added forwards of the cylinders and above the pony truck. A large piece of material was cut from the running board between the slashers allowing a dummy set of frames to be seen under the boiler, the reverser was scratch built from spare etch.

The sandboxes and injector pipework are all attached to the chassis so remain in place when the body is lifted off. The other main adjustments to the chassis were the realignment of the Cylinders, slidebars and the pony truck, the later being about two mm too far forwards on the Bachmann loco. A final little detail was losing the hexagonal nuts on the Bachmann valve gear and of course the addition of Archers rivets. All Frankenstein stuff but to be honest I would probably just get bored following kit instructions, that said a PDK B16/1 is on it's way by post, hopefully the Q4 experiment mentioned above should stop me converting the B16/1 into a B 16/2.

Edit. I forgot to mention, the chimney is 1' 7 1/2 '' in height from the top of the boiler.

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 1

post-23587-0-54126600-1524413438.jpegMy completed upgrade of the Heljan Garratt, now with modified. Comet chassis...markits wheels mashima motors x 2 and high level road runner gearboxes...my pick ups based on the Guy Williams method and finally a loco that runs to my satisfaction.
  • Like 13

Clem,

The original intention was to see what could be done to disguise the white metal nature of the locomotive as supplied. However, there was quite a few dimensional problems with the Little engines kit. It being too short in the chassis, the running board and also the cab side sheets and roof. So I decided to swap the parts over with the Bachmann version, currently the little engines short chassis and running board are becoming a Q4 0-8-0, with the intention of mounting a somewhat heavily modified Bachmann cab and boiler on the top. The Bachmann Chassis and running board have the little engines O4/8 boiler and cab mounted on it. In the past I have extended the little Engines components to my satisfaction with an O4/7 but this time I thought I would try something a little different.

The modifications were as follows. The cab side sheets were extended forwards of the front side window. The window's themselves were cut out on the back to accommodate better glazing and the sliding window frame, the cab was general chamfered to give a thin sheet appearance.

The boiler was pretty ropey as supplied, so I soldered it up and filed it all down, checking the diameter as I went. I decided to remove all boiler detail in the process and reinstate it latter after getting a good smooth finish. This insured an invisible joint between smoke box and boiler and allowed the shortening of the firebox by two mm at it's forward edge were it sits between the frames. The dome I filed up myself and the chimney was cut and a white metal scrap insert was soldered between the two parts, this made it easier to file down and shape without damaging the existing brass casting. The smokebox door came off an old Hornby B17 or D49 smokebox sitting in the scrap box.

The cab is soldered directly to the boiler and made so that both can be screwed on and off  the Bachmann running board. The cab roof was completely replaced, that being supplied being two short and not very well detailed. The Bachmann running board had the step out over the cylinders corrected and a frame extension added forwards of the cylinders and above the pony truck. A large piece of material was cut from the running board between the slashers allowing a dummy set of frames to be seen under the boiler, the reverser was scratch built from spare etch.

The sandboxes and injector pipework are all attached to the chassis so remain in place when the body is lifted off. The other main adjustments to the chassis were the realignment of the Cylinders, slidebars and the pony truck, the later being about two mm too far forwards on the Bachmann loco. A final little detail was losing the hexagonal nuts on the Bachmann valve gear and of course the addition of Archers rivets. All Frankenstein stuff but to be honest I would probably just get bored following kit instructions, that said a PDK B16/1 is on it's way by post, hopefully the Q4 experiment mentioned above should stop me converting the B16/1 into a B 16/2.

Edit. I forgot to mention, the chimney is 1' 7 1/2 '' in height from the top of the boiler.

Thanks for such detailed reply, Andrew. It's a lovely piece of work. It must have taken one or two leaps of faith when you were working through it but the results speak for themselves. 

Thanks for such detailed reply, Andrew. It's a lovely piece of work. It must have taken one or two leaps of faith when you were working through it but the results speak for themselves. 

Thanks for the reply Clem,

your own 04/8 looks mighty fine, I make it sound as if the Little engines kit is poor, which it is not, as your photograph proves, just the sort of loco I love to see. Mine will be 63853 of Annesley shed, so not that far away from Colwick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The coupling is still crooked!

But the lamps look great! So much better than those with the hugely overscale cast handles...

Phil

Edited by Chamby

But the lamps look great! So much better than those with the hugely overscale cast handles...

Phil

Thanks Phil,

I can't for the life of me remember who made those lamps, except they don't have handles. However, the eye doesn't notice this (though the camera does). 

Regards,

Tony. 

In this spirit of showing things (though it's hardly a cameo), two shots of yet another completed DJH A2/2. It'll be yet another 60505 THANE OF FIFE - the one with the Thompson boiler. This must be at least the sixth 60505 I've built (seven, if you include one I built as a P2 with single chimney). I've just opened the box for yet another 60506 WOLF OF BADENOCH. 

post-18225-0-86399900-1524424924_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-01234800-1524424945_thumb.jpg

She's shown going through her paces - a 14-car kit-built rake on the Up, and a 12-car part kit-built rake on the Down. She handled these with consummate ease - far more so than any RTR Pacific. The client supplied the kit, including the wheels. The bogie wheels are 12mm standard Markits, and are weak in appearance. I'll suggest replacement with the bespoke LNER 3' 2" bogie wheels from Markits. 

I suppose it's because the Thompson Pacifics of any kind are not available RTR in 4mm that I'm repeatedly asked to build them. The typical 'client' (though not exclusively) is late middle-aged, cash and time 'rich', but skill 'poor'. The current ECML steam-outline RTR stuff is quite comprehensive, but there are still gaps (plenty of them - long may this continue for the future of kit manufacturers). 

The model will go off to be painted by Geoff Haynes this week. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I never thought of these as cameo's just shots around Pig Lane. Apart from the chap at the work bench all the figures are scratch built.

attachicon.gifIM (6).jpg

Inside

attachicon.gifIM (33).jpg

Outside

attachicon.gifIM (11).jpg

Trainspotters

attachicon.gifIM (31)a.jpg

Going off and coming on shift

attachicon.gifIM (14).jpg

"No locos, time for tea?"

attachicon.gif100_4802.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4803a.jpg

Lunch time in the shed canteen

Superb Clive - I love the staff canteen, with the tiled floor and stainless steel counter!  

You demonstrated something very rarely (if ever) seen on layouts, which is people positioned in poses/scenarios where they would naturally be reasonably still.  The "running man" is right up there with the "bus halfway across the road junction" for model railway errors.

• RMweb Gold

I never thought of these as cameo's just shots around Pig Lane. Apart from the chap at the work bench all the figures are scratch built.

attachicon.gifIM (6).jpg

Inside

attachicon.gifIM (33).jpg

Outside

attachicon.gifIM (11).jpg

Trainspotters

attachicon.gifIM (31)a.jpg

Going off and coming on shift

attachicon.gifIM (14).jpg

"No locos, time for tea?"

attachicon.gif100_4802.JPG

attachicon.gif100_4803a.jpg

Lunch time in the shed canteen

Love that messroom / office building is that scratch built

• RMweb Premium

Love that messroom / office building is that scratch built

Ah the messroom. It was recently discussed on Mallard's SOS thread, so those who know the story sorry for the repeat.

It started life as the office from a Hornby factory kit. I used both the front and back to make a longer low relief building. Later I decided to make it a whole building and even later with the interior. The rear half of the building is scratch based on the Hornby model, I think I renewed all the windows so they are the same. The front is Flemish bond and the rear is stretcher bond. No one has ever mention this even if they noticed. Which makes me ask does it matter if the building is in the wrong bond because at normal viewing most look like brick.

All the interior is scratch built, even the sausages and chips in the trays on the hot plate, yes each chip is a thin slither of plastic card.

It is the only building that remains from Pig Lane and Hanging Hill. It could well end up on Sheffield Exchange. It is sitting by the steam loco sidings and doesn't seem to want to go back in its box.

• Like 2