Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

The ballast has been weathered in parts, though there is more to be done. 

Where locos stop in the station and a section ahead where they start has been stained, to suggest ash, coal, dirty water and oily dribbles. I agree, there is more to be done.

That said, LB's track gang won the 'prize length' one year, which was awarded to the track workers who'd produced the best section of track. I was told that an inspector had a very long pole, which he would run along the ballast shoulder to check it was dead straight. No weeds were allowed to grow, no ballast was allowed on top of the sleepers and the ballast was kept as clean as possible.

Observe the scene today. Though the trackwork itself has probably never been better, weeds grow in the ten foots and adjacent to the (outside) slows. Bits of ballast are all over the sleepers and it's not uniform. 

On a visit to a secondary line recently, I couldn't believe what I saw. Sidings had disappeared under grass, tall weeds were being brushed aside every time a train went past and the ballast (though of good quality) was scattered all over the place (where the weeds didn't disguise it). I was reminded of looking at film of 'Colonial', Third World railways.

To illustrate your point, this was taken at St Austell recently, on the Paddington to Penzance main line. It’s not just secondary lines where standards have dropped... although some might argue that all lines in Cornwall have become secondary in recent years.

Phil

post-25458-0-59362900-1524761181_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for all your hard work, Tom,

I'm glad we ran the trains slower than our perception might tell us. I don't know if it's a phenomenon of videoing stuff, but trains usually appear to be travelling far too fast. 

What it also shows is the 'dynamics' of running trains on a model railway, even one with well-built and well-laid track. I think the odd lurch is inevitable, and (perhaps?) the odd 'nodding' vehicle. Generally, I think the dynamics worked fine. What's most important was that every loco was in command of its job (no RTR on view as far as I could see), there was no stuttering, no jerking, no trains dividing and no derailments.

Thanks once again,

Regards,

Tony. 

My pleasure Tony, it's always a joy to film the layout.

Regarding the PCP board for pickups, I presume this is the stuff like in your photo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/162978900461

I've my next project at the ready, J39 picked up cheap.... I've bitten the bullet and I'm in the process of ordering a Dave Bradwell Chassis. I really want to get into making kits, and there is no point just sitting around waiting until my next visit.

I know I might have the odd issue, get stuck along the way.... but there is enough people around to help and offer advice! I enjoyed what we did on Saturday, and want to give it a proper go with this new chassis.

• Like 1

To illustrate your point, this was taken at St Austell recently, on the Paddington to Penzance main line. It’s not just secondary lines where standards have dropped... although some might argue that all lines in Cornwall have become secondary in recent years.

Phil

attachicon.gifD340C45A-56B8-4901-817D-5FA09042B0B3.jpeg

Thanks Phil,

post-18225-0-44943300-1524770282_thumb.jpg

It's not just way out west, either. Believe it or not there are sidings between the two signals! 

March East, last year. 

• Like 1

I remember an old chap i regularly saw at exhibitions back in the late 70s. He had been a senior ganger on the GWR and BR (W). He always used to comment on how aesthetically clean most model track was portrayed. He always said it was tidier in steam days, but much, much dirtier than most models depict. And colouring was also far more patchier and less uniform since much spot reballasting would regularly take place.

Many thanks for your comments,

post-18225-0-99715700-1524770408_thumb.jpg

This shot was taken from Marsh Bridge at Little Bytham in the summer of 1962, some three years after the station closed (though the site of the platforms is clear). The ballast looks really clean, with just a few areas of staining around points. Note that the Up slow has concrete sleepers. 

My ballast isn't anywhere as light as this, but it might appear too bright in model form if copied from this. I don't know. 

One thing is clear. There's no rampant Mother Nature!  

• Like 8

Friend Geoff Haynes dropped by today for further photography for his forthcoming book on painting.

post-18225-0-89899200-1524770856_thumb.jpg

This is a Mitchell Castle in P4, built and painted by Geoff. 

post-18225-0-84374900-1524770905_thumb.jpg

And a Brassmasters Princess Royal, also his work.

Since, I hope, this thread is all about showing personal modelling, I'm sure these'll be of interest. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Phil

attachicon.gifD340C45A-56B8-4901-817D-5FA09042B0B3.jpeg

Weeds are supposed to be killed off because the roots hold water in the ballast, reducing drainage and leading to "pumping", which causes those clay-coloured stains on the nearer track.  That's a void forming in the ballast, allowing the rail to drop outside limits with a passing train.  Eventually, something passing that spot will run out of vertical suspension travel and you get a derailment.  Sloppy, Network Rail, get it sorted; weedkilling is such a cheap way of avoiding bigger costs later.

I have seen this on higher speed lines than at St. Austell and it concerns me to hear the bang as each axle passes.  In fact I should have the confidence to report it.

• RMweb Premium

Grantham has weathered track... thank to LNER 4479 (who mixed up a particular shade of "gloop" applied almost like a dry brushing we managed to get the track weathered

post-7650-0-27305700-1524776812.jpg

a bit more work has been done on this now

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif60067 on Up express.jpg

This shot was taken from Marsh Bridge at Little Bytham in the summer of 1962, some three years after the station closed (though the site of the platforms is clear). The ballast looks really clean, with just a few areas of staining around points. Note that the Up slow has concrete sleepers. 

My ballast isn't anywhere as light as this, but it might appear too bright in model form if copied from this. I don't know. 

Looks like recent or even ongoing P.Way work has probably contributed to the clean ballast in that area. Fresh concrete sleepers stacked by the lineside and on the slow line would indicate that. As always, looking at the prototype at the correct period gives the best idea of how the model should look.

What makes a model convincing to me is not so much how dirty something is but more how the variation in colours and textures of the real thing have been captured. Even on the photo in question, the ballast to the left of the concrete sleepered section is a slightly different colour to the ballast on the right hand side.

• RMweb Premium

This is excellent work Andy,

My thanks for posting.

I agree about the panel lines being prominent on the Tourist Buffet Car. I know at least one was rebuilt with a complete flush-sided appearance. I'm not entirely sure how prominent any panel lines should be. On the one I've just built, I've left them off (not a kit from the same source) because it looks more like prototype pictures to me. However, I could be wrong. 

May I ask, what is the origin of the BR crest on the Brit's tender, please? It looks to be too big to me. There should be more 'green' above and below it in my perception. 

All the above said, I think what should be acknowledged is that this is all your own work. There is nothing more important than this. You can say with pride 'I made these'. You can say it with justification as well.

Regards,

Tony.

Thanks Tony,

The picture in the Harris Blue book in original green and cream livery has no visible panel lines, but that in the Carter Buffet car article in Backtrack (Jan 1995) in BR crimson and cream shows clear panel lines. I don’t know why they would have become more prominent later in life, but as that is nearer my time period, that’s what I’ve adopted.

As for the Brit tender, the crest came from Modelmaster (I think). The attached photo shows the sheet with my thumb for scale. I used the crest on the top right. I chose the largest as I thought that would be appropriate for a Pacific tender. I did think when I put it on that it looked rather large, but then I forgot about it until you pointed it out. I think I should change it for the ones on the top left, but whether I can face rubbing it off and replacing it I’m not sure.

post-19760-0-70841700-1524779804_thumb.jpeg

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony,

The picture in the Harris Blue book in original green and cream livery has no visible panel lines, but that in the Carter Buffet car article in Backtrack (Jan 1995) in BR crimson and cream shows clear panel lines. I don’t know why they would have become more prominent later in life, but as that is nearer my time period, that’s what I’ve adopted.

As for the Brit tender, the crest came from Modelmaster (I think). The attached photo shows the sheet with my thumb for scale. I used the crest on the top right. I chose the largest as I thought that would be appropriate for a Pacific tender. I did think when I put it on that it looked rather large, but then I forgot about it until you pointed it out. I think I should change it for the ones on the top left, but whether I can face rubbing it off and replacing it I’m not sure.

attachicon.gif0F236F28-662A-451D-95C3-80E12C277E38.jpeg

Regards

Andy

Is that what they call a thumbnail image?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I should change it for the ones on the top left, but whether I can face rubbing it off and replacing it I’m not sure.

Regards

Andy

From that image top left looks the right size. You might find that wetting the transfer with Microsol and or Microset will lift the transfer without damage to the paint, subject to if it was fully cured at the time of application.

• RMweb Premium

From that image top left looks the right size. You might find that wetting the transfer with Microsol and or Microset will lift the transfer without damage to the paint, subject to if it was fully cured at the time of application.

I might try that, it’s Hornby paint underneath but I did varnish over the transfer before weathering.

On the subject of HMRS transfers. I have had the same woes as reported elsewhere on this thread. However, I was told that the issues have been resolved. I know not whether this is the case but I can report that the last four packs that I have used have worked perfectly, with the caveat that I apply them to a gloss surface. The BR pack went on perfectly to the O4/8 project, the locomotive is now in the process of being weathered, just a few more streaks, a bit more work on the cylinders and the bufferbeams to do. The final gubbins are still to attach, fire irons, crew, couplings, coal and those pesky little lamps. Unfortunately they don't come in one of those a handy little plastic bags tucked away in the box. Must pull out finger and manufacture some drain cocks. Oh yes and the numberplate, straight six.

post-26757-0-66306100-1524784378_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Looks like recent or even ongoing P.Way work has probably contributed to the clean ballast in that area. Fresh concrete sleepers stacked by the lineside and on the slow line would indicate that. As always, looking at the prototype at the correct period gives the best idea of how the model should look.

What makes a model convincing to me is not so much how dirty something is but more how the variation in colours and textures of the real thing have been captured. Even on the photo in question, the ballast to the left of the concrete sleepered section is a slightly different colour to the ballast on the right hand side.

Thanks Tony,

I think the on-going P.Way work is confined to the Up slow line. The photographer's notes regarding the passage of LADAS that day include 'travelling very fast!'. 

That, if nothing else, is what Little Bytham is all about. 

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif60067 on Up express.jpg

To my eyes, it is not just the ballast that looks lighter than what you have used... but the whole photograph. The grass also looks very pale and the image may either be over-exposed or have faded over time. In which case, the colouring that you have on LB would be about right for the freshly ballasted sections, but the line to the left of the locomotive would become much grubbier looking.

In the 1970’s, when I took pre-digital photography seriously, I recall there was an ongoing debate about the relative colour tones of Fuji film compared to Kodachrome, with the latter being widely perceived as having paler colour rendition with a bluer tonal shade. All of which adds to the debate... and mystique, of the steam era modelling. Early colour photographs, when viewed online, have a ‘dated’ look about them that is as much about the colour rendition as the content. And then there is the ability to re-balance images digitally, adding further complexity to interpretation. Unlike paint schemes, where colours such as Brunswick Green are well referenced, things like ballast and weathered colours are much less well defined.

I think this gives us more latitude for colouration when modelling such things as track and ballast... at the Helston exhibition last weekend I noted many interpretations of track weathering, from total grot to more delicately shaded. Most of which looked acceptable, in fact it was only those layouts with no track weathering at all that didn’t look right.

Phil.

While people are showing their very nice scratch-built modelling efforts I hope it's okay to show the current modelling project I'm working on. It's not a steam loco but a section of viaduct walling/arches for a forthcoming layout. I've made this section (below) and my plan is to cast it in resin so that I can make a long continuous run. I'll need to make a couple of other section casts - one for the upper level that is effectively the train shed wall for the terminus station and another for a different style. The upper plain wall section should be simple enough to add from brick plasticard. 

It's not an exact replica but hopefully it captures the look and atmosphere of the real thing. And it is to N/2mm scale so is quite small.

post-33-0-78518300-1524818810_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-60507700-1524818826_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

While people are showing their very nice scratch-built modelling efforts I hope it's okay to show the current modelling project I'm working on. It's not a steam loco but a section of viaduct walling/arches for a forthcoming layout. I've made this section (below) and my plan is to cast it in resin so that I can make a long continuous run. I'll need to make a couple of other section casts - one for the upper level that is effectively the train shed wall for the terminus station and another for a different style. The upper plain wall section should be simple enough to add from brick plasticard. 

It's not an exact replica but hopefully it captures the look and atmosphere of the real thing. And it is to N/2mm scale so is quite small.

attachicon.gifDSC_5555.JPG

attachicon.gifSt_Thomas_Street_Railway_Arches_IMG_7749_w920.jpg

G

How long before someone comes along and wants it in 4mm?

Mike.

• Like 1

Scratch building of a different kind?

My latest effort at the CAD for an Thompson L1 in N gauge. The original was designed eight or nine years ago and was the first model I had printed in the (at the time new) FUD material from Shapeways. However, it only represented 67702-16 and, compared to my more recent efforts, is a bit crude. This one has been designed from the ground up and represents nos. 67740-65 as built by the North British without Westinghouse equipment.

post-943-0-35652000-1524824279.jpg

Now all I have to do is cover the other variations in the class - I thought Thompson wanted to standardise everything...

• Like 7

How long before someone comes along and wants it in 4mm?

Yep, more than likely.

Whilst, if the casting is successful, I don't mind casting a few extras (at a price to cover their cost) should anyone want some, I'm certainly not going to knock up another master in a different scale.

G

That looks really well captured, well done! I daren't take a foray into scenic modelling just yet, I'm still cutting my teeth on rolling stock projects.

Your efforts, and dealing with the various trials and tribulations (in sorting issues of going around bends), certainly make it seem like your teeth are well cut. 

I find there is less fidelity required with scenic modelling, including buildings, than there is with bashing stock which tends to need to be more accurate (presumably as we're railway modellers). And certainly has less mechanical requirements as scenics generally aren't intended to operate (work and run on tracks).

G.

G

• RMweb Premium

Friend Geoff Haynes dropped by today for further photography for his forthcoming book on painting.

attachicon.gifDsc_9151.jpg

This is a Mitchell Castle in P4, built and painted by Geoff. 

attachicon.gifDsc_9155.jpg

And a Brassmasters Princess Royal, also his work.

Since, I hope, this thread is all about showing personal modelling, I'm sure these'll be of interest. 

The second loco has taken a lot of influences from the top one

Atso, have you done a print of either version yet?  I would love to see it close up warts and all. I was watching a video last night about a Anycubic Photon DLP 3D resin printer and hardened using UV light by Luke Cowan. The surface and the detail looked much better than the traditional spool feed printers.  Just came across your thread so ignore this post.

Jim

Edited by Theakerr

Atso, have you done a print of either version yet? I would love to see it close up warts and all. I was watching a video last night about a Anycubic Photon DLP 3D resin printer and hardened using UV light by Luke Cowan. The surface and the detail looked much better than the traditional spool feed printers. Just came across your thread so ignore this post.

Jim

Hello Jim,

While you've found my 3D printing thread my workbench thread has more pictures.

I've not yet seen a spool feed printer that can create prints with sufficient resolution for N gauge models. I own a B9Creator which can print with a 50 micro resolution from its projector and down to 6microns layer thickness (although 30-50 microns is more practical). However this level of detail comes with the price of a very small projection area which makes certain things like tank engines and coaches difficult to print. However I've had success with tender locomotives and wagons. Some of my B9C prints include:

post-943-0-48534000-1524867676.jpg

A couple of J6s which I painted without any cleaning up (other than removing the supports). To be honest I've regretted that decision as the light can catch and show up the occasional print line. I must finish the CAD for the tenders for these!

post-943-0-92722000-1524867808_thumb.jpg

A K3 (photo Tony Wright). I did sand this one down a little to remove the print lines (not that there were many).

post-943-0-84097100-1524867921_thumb.jpg

D49 (Tony again).

However it has been a steep learning curve to get the best out of the printer and Shapeways have now bettered it with their Frosted Extreme Detail:

post-943-0-09166200-1524868714_thumb.jpg

A close up of an N2 print in primer but otherwise pretty much as it arrived from Shapeways.

post-943-0-74344700-1524868120.jpg

The same loco nearing completion (it has been completed since this was taken last year).

post-943-0-42375900-1524868857_thumb.jpg

Possibly the most complex CAD I've completed. A PPR E6 Atlantic in 1:160 scale done for a friend in Holland. The firebox and boiler were particularly challenging.

For all of these prints some level of clean up is required but some patience and care is well rewarded - I've written an article covering some of the techniques I use in this months BRM. I investigated the Form2 printer and found a company who did some test prints for me. These were fairly good but let down my the diameter of the laser spot that cures the resin. This is still too big and the details (down to 0.1mm in some cases) suffer for it. That said, I've seen some lovely models for 4mm and 7mm printed on it.

Edited by Atso
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Continuing the show and tell theme and bringing in a few other recent discussion points, here are some recent photos of our old North Cornwall Railway layout "Treneglos" taken by Andy York. The layout was first exhibited back in 2004 after only a 12 month build. It was the combined efforts of a core team of three (me, John Wardle and Damian Ross) plus later contributions by a few others. It did nearly 40 shows on the circuit, including one in central France and we sold it in January. I've slightly knocked back the colour in the photos to give the feel of some photos of the period. (I find the photos in many mags over bright and shouty.)

The first is Maunsell N Class 31406 on a down freight to Wadebridge. All is RTR except for the kit built SR van. The Bachmann loco was converted to one of the final batch of locos which was left hand drive (various bits chopped off one side and stuck on the other). It has been weathered, coaled, has SR route disks and detail added to the front. On the footplate is an inspector in a bowler hat, so the crew are on best behaviour! The cattle vans and shock van are weathered Bachmann.

The hills in the background were painted by John and Andy has inserted a slightly hazy sky as the lighting conditions in the room were less than ideal for a mag shoot.

post-6675-0-20361900-1524892637_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows Bulleid Light Pacific 34075 264 Squadron arriving at Treneglos with an Exeter bound train from Padstow. Again all RTR but this time from Hornby.

The loco is a wide cabbed one but has been correctly paired with a narrow 4500gal tender, one of the few to retain its high sheeted sides (raves). The loco has been: renumbered and renamed; had the firebox/bogie amended to remove the gap; had some of the access panels opened up and equipment behind modelled; had the front bogie amended to chop off the coupling block and fit AWS; and had route disks and various pipes fitted. The distinctive drain cocks have been omitted as they fouled the bogie wheels.

Hornby provide the brake rods and the front steps and both are a real s0d to keep on a loco that's used as the plastic really doesn't like glue. The vast majority of my Bulleid fleet have lost their front steps in service over the years. Unlike the rebuilt Bulleid from the same stable, there is no fixing pin to help keep the steps in place.

The coaches are Hornby Maunsells and are so much better than the Ian Kirk kits we originally had. They have had: detail added to the underframe and weathered; compartment interiors repainted, mirrors and pictures added; a few passengers added; the plastic roof repainted; the horrid bright white toilet glazing dulled right back; numbers amended to suit a prototypical 2 coach set and the set number added to the ends; the upper end steps have been removed as per the period and some moulded end detail replaced with castings and wire.

post-6675-0-08575400-1524895123_thumb.jpg

All the buildings were scratch built and the track was OO C&L.

Did the majority of people seeing the stock notice the modifications? Nope. It could therefore be argued why bother. I did it for the enjoyment - both mine and also the half dozen viewers that noticed over the years. Great conversations were had with the latter.

The layout in its original form was built in secret by the three core builders. After appearing at its first show we had help from a number of folk (Geoff, Andy, Terry, Nigel, Fred, Ron and others) both in taking the layout out and in improving it. A good group effort.

It was very sad to see the layout go but I still have the stock and lots of memories of going 'on tour' with it and friends.

(Those wanting to see and read more about the layout are directed to the April BRM. I think there are still some copies in shops and there's always the electronic Pocketmags copy which contains far more photos.)

• Like 15