RMweb

Molinnis - Present Day Cornwall in N

Revolution Ben

Hello there

I lovely little tribute to clay country. It's alway nice when proper contours are added to a railway. The river being a great focal point. As a Signalman who covers Goonbarrow, I hope you wont mind me commenting on one feature of the layout. There isn't enough clay around! Believe me - it gets everywhere, on cars, on the wagons, on nearby properties etc... The roads in the complex should be bright white, and the ground white blended with grass (which looks great by the way). I can supply some photos to aid you. Please dont be disheartened - It's a matter you can attend to with little effort or change.

Thanks for the suggestion. - once the track had been ballasted, I was going to add a touch of white spay over the track area. If the whole area needs a dusting, some pictures would be great.

Nick

Theres no wheelie bins supplied by the council. They prefer bin bags in round plastic bins. Some people in falmouth have bought their own, and commercial propertys use them. There is now however garden waste wheelie bins, which are a brown colour and you need a "kerbside licence" or some other money making scheme to use.

Thanks for the information. I will make some round bins and a couple of brown wheelie bins to keep in the back gardens.

Nick

Some update pictures showing the edge of the village and overall view of the left side of the layout. The cottages are ready to plant Bachmann products, the store is scratchbuilt.

post-15737-0-43200400-1382712493.jpg

post-15737-0-81705400-1382712506.jpg

post-15737-0-02125800-1382712518.jpg

The Chief Carpenter ( and former lorry driver) may have comments on the space allowed in the factory for deliveries. Buildings not yet stuck down if case of last minute changes.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick,

It's really coming together.

I have a feeling though that as you've identified the hard standing area around the factory is a little cramped - perhaps moving the "office building" over into the green area at the side of the road could free up that entire solace at the end of the plot to be a yard/storage area/lorry park.

Cheers

Ben A.

The final major building has been started! This is the 1960's style office block to go with the warehouse. The building is typical of that era using precast panels for much of the walls and a flat roof.

The windows are laser cut wood from Proses, available from OnTrack. They are OO scale domestic windows but work as N office windows.  

attachicon.gifoffice windows.jpg

The main walls use a clear plastic sheet as a base, with the windows and cladding panels glued on. The windows were painted before gluing. With hindsight, I should have painted the brick piers as well before gluing. Each side took about an hour to do. Part completed and complete sides shown below.

attachicon.gifoffice wall start.jpg   attachicon.gifoffice walls.jpg

Picture of building with walls stuck together. The roof is Scalescene's tarmac sheet.

attachicon.gifoffice view.jpg

Final picture showing added roof plant. The fans come from the Walthers modular series.

attachicon.gifoffice roof.jpg

That's a lovely scratchbuild. I would place it near the road junction. I dont think it would be near the works, but it's your layout mate - put it where you like. The plateau of land his lots of possibilities, if you bear with me I'll take some general pictures around Rocks at Goonbarrow. The buidings are very interesting, plus all the pipes, flues and generator rooms. Not to mention Knightwing portacabins which would look fab weathered with claydust.

Edited by winterbournecm

That's a lovely scratchbuild. I would place it near the road junction. I dont think it would be near the works, but it's your layout mate - put it where you like. The plateau of land his lots of possibilities, if you bear with me I'll take some general pictures around Rocks at Goonbarrow. The buidings are very interesting, plus all the pipes, flues and generator rooms. Not to mention Knightwing portacabins which would look fab weathered with claydust.

A shot showing the roads around clay country - this is Treviscoe on the Parkandillack branch

post-2613-0-97864200-1382871152.jpg

Here is Marsh Mills at Plymouth - and they second but last train up there.

post-2613-0-23930200-1382871331.jpg

Summer at Rocks when the 08s were still shunting

post-2613-0-41871000-1382871385.jpg

More soon....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some work on the details - starting with road signs and fences.

Road signs were produced in Word around twice actual size and then reduced and stuck to thin plastic sheet.  

post-15737-0-67763100-1385115201.jpg

The area that provides access to the signal box has been started. Ratio fences, hedge, a BLMA radio aerial and a scratchbuilt equipment cabinet, and County Rolling Stock security fencing. Managed to bend the aerial etch the wrong way so it broke, much more difficult to glue together!

post-15737-0-63143700-1385115228.jpg

Hopefully big brother will collect some trees for me at Warley this weekend. Will make a big difference!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

More work in the gardens despite the cold weather!

There is a BBQ scene (Noch) with Tomytec gazebo and table. Will add some more figures later. Need to work out how to do N Gauge food and drinks! Trees from model tree shop, flowers from WWS.

Next door are having an extension built. Walls created with inner block work, insulation layer and outer brick skin.

The far garden is overgrown and some suitable clutter will be added. Have some Gold Medal Models shopping trolleys.

post-15737-0-36480800-1385919171.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Less than 2 months to go until first exhibition - 1st March at the March show.

Ballast done over Christmas and after some time cleaning up the track, a proper operating session. Photos below, taken with the back scene removed.

Class 66 passes the old china clay works with loaded CDAs, the first few have been weathered.

post-15737-0-35318500-1388936292.jpg

post-15737-0-40345200-1388936301.jpg

Then waits in the loop for a passing sprinter.

post-15737-0-76159100-1388936309.jpg

Class 153 passes the signal box with new walk way for the staff.

post-15737-0-21411300-1388936318.jpg

Class 60 with silver bullets heads onto the branch.

post-15737-0-42569400-1388936325.jpg

Class 67 shunts the works sidings. The rest of the train waits on the main line in the background. The Dapol couplings worked well this morning, operational test in front of others still to come!

post-15737-0-60591100-1388936342.jpg

Finally, general shot of the layout.

post-15737-0-91464800-1388936353.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

All

3 weeks to go to the first outing at the March MRC exhibition on March1st.

Around 70 trees, mainly model tree shop, have now been added to the back of the layout. Makes a big difference ....

post-15737-0-34202100-1391956195.jpg

The other major addition are the signals. CR products - a basic signal on the branch line and a modified gantry signal on the main lines. To the basic unit, they have added a junction indicator for the branch line and shunt signals to allow for shunting the factory. Not wired up yet.

post-15737-0-94926700-1391956184.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...