RMweb

Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

You can't have County Durham without a brass band! Glad the video worked, and the music drowns out the din of us all shouting instructions to each other behind the scenes.

Blackgill's final exhibition outing will be at Railex North East at North Shields next year, so come and catch it there for the last time!

Arp

You can't have County Durham without a brass band! Glad the video worked, and the music drowns out the din of us all shouting instructions to each other behind the scenes.

Blackgill's final exhibition outing will be at Railex North East at North Shields next year, so come and catch it there for the last time!

Arp

Final? Oh no! Always enjoy seeing this masterpiece.

Ian B

They're rare beasts, those 9F-hauled ore trains. Although more frequent now that there are two rakes in the schedule. Blackgill essentially operates on a 'one in, one out' system, where there are matching moves on either end of the layout. This is because there are so many trains to be run and space is limited in Blackgill's home in the loft meaning fiddle-yard tracks are at a premium. There are six iron ore train movements in each run through the schedule (out of 20 movements in total) but sometimes that schedule can take two hours to get through, depending on how well the layout behaves and how brave the operators are with shunting moves! I'll post a list of all the trains on here if anyone is interested?

Blackgill is getting pretty old, as are its owner and operators, and getting it in and out of the loft is quite an undertaking. Add to that the fact that the journey in the back of the van (even padded with sponge!) always shakes loose a signal or two, or knocks something out of alignment (it doesn't take much in P4!) and you can see why its time on the road is coming to an end. We've been to Scaleforum, Warley, Scalefour North, Model Rail Scotland, and most of the North East shows, so hopefully many people have had a chance to see it. If not, get planning a trip up this end of the country next summer!

Arp

Arp, some of us are a little further away, and dare I say it is a disadvantage of being as far away as I am. Yes I would love to see it in the flesh so to speak but websites and published articles are a way that the layout can be seen all over the world.

Ok I am a little biased in that I like the NER and LNER. I have enjoyed all you have put up on line and the MRJ article it is a credit to you and your dad. Please keep things coming as the layout ages and no doubt you and your dad enjoy running the layout at home and at exhibitions!

• RMweb Premium

Final? Oh no! Always enjoy seeing this masterpiece.

Ian B

The North Shields area do is a very good show to go to anyway.

They're rare beasts, those 9F-hauled ore trains. Although more frequent now that there are two rakes in the schedule. Blackgill essentially operates on a 'one in, one out' system, where there are matching moves on either end of the layout. This is because there are so many trains to be run and space is limited in Blackgill's home in the loft meaning fiddle-yard tracks are at a premium. There are six iron ore train movements in each run through the schedule (out of 20 movements in total) but sometimes that schedule can take two hours to get through, depending on how well the layout behaves and how brave the operators are with shunting moves! I'll post a list of all the trains on here if anyone is interested?

Blackgill is getting pretty old, as are its owner and operators, and getting it in and out of the loft is quite an undertaking. Add to that the fact that the journey in the back of the van (even padded with sponge!) always shakes loose a signal or two, or knocks something out of alignment (it doesn't take much in P4!) and you can see why its time on the road is coming to an end. We've been to Scaleforum, Warley, Scalefour North, Model Rail Scotland, and most of the North East shows, so hopefully many people have had a chance to see it. If not, get planning a trip up this end of the country next summer!

Arp

I'd like to think that it will get a suitable retirement home on Tyneside....................pity there isn't a MR Club in Consett. I wonder if beamish would be a good place as they are a 'living' museum and it would get operated I'm sure. Good luck with sorting something

Phil

• RMweb Premium

The Northern bus reminds me that when we used to go to Consett (from Central Station and then the Bus Station) we would always try to get the Yellow Bus (Newcastle Transport?) as they were more comfortable. I was about ten at the time.

Wonderful photo's and thank you for them.

Phil

I did like the video Arpster; the brass band did rather make it along with the Clayton zooming about with the brake tender and brake van as if it was searching for an errant train it had mislaid!

I doubt I will be at Hartlepool; so I am sorry not to get to see it one more time!

The Clayton is a hand loco for testing things out, and a pretty reliable performer. I'll have to try to capture some more of Blackgill's diesel fleet next time I have the camera out.

The last exhibition is the Railex North East 50th Anniversary show on the 28th and 29th of July next year, so you still have a chance, Mark!

Phil: there was a chap at Hartlepool who used to catch the Northern number 5 from Consett to Sunderland, but then someone else who was complaining that it should have been a Venture bus...

http://www.thebusgallery.co.uk/venture

Arp

we would always try to get the Yellow Bus (Newcastle Transport?) as they were more comfortable.

More than likely, "The Venture" from Marlborough Crescent bus station (which was next door to Central Station but more importantly directly opposite Newcastle model Railway club.

14466215364_00fb8bfb57_h.jpgVenture Transport Company (Newcastle) Limited Bus 186 Atkinson Alpha Willowbrook 1967jpg by John Huddlestone, on Flickr

The Comfy seat versions:

https://flic.kr/p/bYsBEC

post-508-0-92917400-1509450652_thumb.jpg

Via Consett International Airport.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

More than likely, "The Venture" from Marlborough Crescent bus station (which was next door to Central Station but more importantly directly opposite Newcastle model Railway club.

14466215364_00fb8bfb57_h.jpgVenture Transport Company (Newcastle) Limited Bus 186 Atkinson Alpha Willowbrook 1967jpg by John Huddlestone, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/bYsBEC

P

Oh No, not only lamp posts but a bus spotter too.

Dave Franks

Definitely not. Just an interest in the industrial, social and cultural fabric that was the twentieth century North East. The advantage being it helps my modelling to be slightly more accurate.   :blum_mini:

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 4

... and just for completeness, the Northern General No 5 approaching the eastern end of it's journey down near to one of Blackgills operators gaff. (HH Robinson having morphed into Lola over the past few decades. Surprisingly the first pic is one of the few views of central Sunderland that hasn't changed a great deal.

5324010434_ddba7ce299_b.jpgFCN728 Northern General 1728 by Len Wright, on Flickr

5323424419_661bc73453_b.jpgDCN920 Northern General 1620 by Len Wright, on Flickr

P

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Dave Franks

Definitely not. Just an interest in the industrial, social and cultural fabric that was the twentieth century North East. The advantage being it helps my modelling to be slightly more accurate.   :blum_mini:

, or, to put it another way, jack of all trades master of none!

Mike.

(Safely abroad).

...you tell em Uncle Purse...BTW do you have a drawing of a standard Durham County Council bus shelter...I was thinking of a new garden shed and looking for something a bit different...

• Like 1