Blackgill: Tyne Dock to Consett in P4

Arpster

• RMweb Gold

...you tell em Uncle Purse...BTW do you have a drawing of a standard Durham County Council bus shelter...I was thinking of a new garden shed and looking for something a bit different...

So, you want the windows smashed, seats broken, the floor covered with tab ends and it smelling of wee?

• RMweb Premium

Windows ? Seats ? Open (to the elements) plan corrugated metal fabrications with S.R.O. were the norm in this fine county during the period under consideration. Floor decoration and atmospheric odours accurately described though.

So, you want the windows smashed, seats broken, the floor covered with tab ends and it smelling of wee?

...don't know where you lived Worsdy...in Bowburn our bus shelter doubled up as a news agents on a Sunday morning...and for the rest of the week you had to get in early to avoid the rush...thinking about it tho, yeah they did smell of wee...

BTW do you have a drawing of a standard Durham County Council bus shelter...

No; but you know there is one less than a mile from your old homestead (And nowhere near a bus stop) which we need to measure up.

Funny how there used to be seven of the bl**dy things within a two minutes walk of your ma's. Now there are non!

and I suspect there is a man on this forum that photographed some of them round our streets....

Via the time machine.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=37872&search=Scarlet+band

The only pleasant looking thing in the photograph is the lamposts.

post-508-0-26179800-1509538828_thumb.jpg

and there's this:

https://flic.kr/p/dWGort

Edited by Porcy Mane

...you tell em Uncle Purse...BTW do you have a drawing of a standard Durham County Council bus shelter...I was thinking of a new garden shed and looking for something a bit different...

Darlington had a good selection to choose from. I think Poursee might like the Trafford Tile and concrete block ones that used to be on Low Flags (not High Row)

post-1303-0-33708100-1509540567.jpg

post-1303-0-90804800-1509540578.jpg

post-1303-0-15990500-1509540597.jpg

post-1303-0-18483600-1509540609_thumb.jpg

post-1303-0-35066800-1509540632.jpg

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Darlington had a good selection to choose from. I think Poursee might like the Trafford Tile and concrete block ones that used to be on Low Flags (not High Row)

attachicon.gif4340610e13168c73a36245e440f24e5b--bus-shelters-buses.jpg

attachicon.gif7bf85c1135258f0be4ed19ae7f3031fd--bus-shelters-buses.jpg

attachicon.gif14822076759_4960b79c11_b.jpg

attachicon.gif13220143063_a8c6955664_b.jpg

attachicon.gifimgID114801282.jpg

Mike

Are you the lad in the first two photo's Mike?

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW031990

...The view from above (in 1950) right beside the coal drops and open air wagon repair buisiness...which by the look of the rake of repaired wagons in the back ground, is doing good business.

You have to sign up to the site to zoom right in (its free)!!!

...and if you spend the next six months exploring the towns of Britain street by street, then blame Poursee as he put me onto the site in the first place.

A/box

attachicon.gif4340610e13168c73a36245e440f24e5b--bus-shelters-buses.jpg

I have to admit to that Haughton Road shelter being a particular favorite. Proper design. Just look at the way the downspout is incorporated into the roof support. As a nipper I used to visit the BRS depot just behind the S&D railway line and the advertising hoarding.

Yet another location that has been turned into a bl**dy roundabout!

P

I have to admit to that Haughton Road shelter being a particular faveorite. Proper design. Just look at the way the downspout is incorporated into the roof support. As a nipper I used to visit the BRS depot just behind the S&D railway line and the advertising hoarding.

Yet another location that has been turned into a bl**dy roundabout!

P

A rather confusing roundabout.

• RMweb Premium

No; but you know there is one less than a mile from your old homestead (And nowhere near a bus stop) which we need to measure up.

Funny how there used to be seven of the bl**dy things within a two minutes walk of your ma's. Now there are non!

and I suspect there is a man on this forum that photographed some of them round our streets....

Via the time machine.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=37872&search=Scarlet+band

The only pleasant looking thing in the photograph is the lamposts.

attachicon.gif AN68 OVK165M in 1984.jpg

and there's this:

https://flic.kr/p/dWGort

That Moggy is quite nice........

Phil

A rather confusing roundabout.

You bet! At least the planners retained a bit of the original S & D railway in their mad design.

https://goo.gl/maps/R5kME2Yge3R2

... and it looks like the original loco shed just along the road, for the Patons fire-less Barclay still survives.

https://goo.gl/maps/6rqU9ooswXS2

That Moggy is quite nice........

Funny you should say that. I crashed mine (a Minor 1000,000) at a road junction not 30 yards from where from where that Minor is parked. Black Ice, turned steering wheel, motor straight on, sideways though a five foot high privet hedge leaving said Minor perfectly parked right outside residents front door. Privet had sprung back into position leaving very little evidence of how the car had arrived in garden and no means of escape with car being surrounded by said hedge on three of four sides and house on t'other.

Householder (after hearing whooshing noise) opens front door to find me sitting in drivers seat of car, looking straight at him. I wound the widow down and thinking of nothing better to say, wished him a happy new year (It was January), then asked if he had a crane I could borrow?

Oh how he laughed!

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

... and it looks like the original loco shed just along the road, for the Patons fire-less Barclay still survives.

https://goo.gl/maps/6rqU9ooswXS2

...and here she is sitting outside her brand new shed...

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW027449

I must get out more, I must get out more, I must get out...

A/box

PS don't forget the free zoom...

Edited by Axlebox

Flax me! You can reel them off. Nobody else has cottoned on yet so i'd better be bobbin along.

...thats a pearler, time to cast off for sure

...anyone seen Blackgill lately?

This is the work of Blackgill's youngest operator, Jessica, who would like to point out the NCB shunter is responsible for the brakevan lamp hanging on the bracket and NOT her...nice pic Jess, I like the Q6 being coaled in the background.

post-7975-0-03570200-1509567908_thumb.jpg

Edited by Axlebox
  • Like 9

I would have liked to have some taken more pictures of this lovely layout at West Hartlepool, but time, as usual, conspired against me. 

I took these at Glasgow last year, some of which might have been seen before. Still, worth looking at for the modelling atmosphere in my view. 

post-18225-0-76637500-1509568917_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-03837600-1509568934_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-97018800-1509568956_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-70799100-1509568975_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-86721800-1509568997_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-83286000-1509569017_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-83954800-1509569038_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-25804300-1509569059_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-11558700-1509569079_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I would have liked to have some taken more pictures of this lovely layout at West Hartlepool, but time, as usual, conspired against me. 

I took these at Glasgow last year, some of which might have been seen before. Still, worth looking at for the modelling atmosphere in my view. 

attachicon.gifBlackGill 01.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackGill 02.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackGill 03.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackGill 04.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackGill 05.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackGill 06.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackGill 07.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackGill 08.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackGill 09.jpg

You can see it again at RAILEX NE 2018 at John Spence Community High School, North Shields 28th & 29th June - Details at www.railexne.com

• 8 months later...

This weekend sees what might be Blackgill's last outing on the exhibition circuit (if the only man sticks to his guns). We'll be at Railex NE 2018 on Saturday and Sunday at John Spence Community High School in North Shields. Come along and say hello.

Arp

• Like 2