westerhamstation

Hi sp1, I used to use a pounce wheel, and a pounce bag which was filled with coloured chalk to make signs for signwriting. This enabled you to make copies of signs that had the same design on very quickly. the task of using the pounce bag was usually given to the junior (me) the design was drawn up on paper, and then gone over with the pounce wheel which made pin pricks in the paper, the pounce bag which was filled with coloured chalk was then dabbed all over the paper, when the paper was removed your design was left marked out in chalk dots. After the sign had been written these marks were very easily dusted off. I think that a pounce wheel would be to sharp for rivets but the holder might be good for holding the wheel.

All this was back in the very early 60's since those days vinyl lettering has taken over, and these skills are vanishing along with most of the traditional signwriters. All the best Adrian.

Very interesting. I am sure that one day I will be able to get at my old magazines and have a look (where the are stored is inaccessible at the moment). I wonder if there is some way to accurately blunt all of the teeth on a pounce wheel?

Now on the lookout for old clocks....

Steve

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is indeed 'riveting' stuff Adrian - very clever...( I'll be going now! )

Regards,

(ex) SIGTECH (Steve) - now retired and living a life of sloth and laziness...

No change there then Steve!

;-}

Andy G

Hi Andy, no early/late/night shifts anymore - get up when I like, do as little as possible, and have been nowhere near the railway for  over a year now....luvverly!!

I expect you still get a few good people turn up  at the box to maintain and keep the kit working/ fix the faults....

The only railway I have dealings with is the one in my loft!!

Regards.

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A year Steve? Good Lord where has that time gone?

There are few good uns left, but they are only a few, and those that aren't related are moving away...

You are lucky to get away when you did.......

Andy G

Excellent idea Adrian (You're full of them!)

I used a dart tip to scribe mine - having first run the sheet of plasticard through a vinyl plotter to draw out the position of the rivets

Now on the lookout for old cogs - nothing like rivets to make those panels more authentic-looking!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Adrian,

I like your rivetting tool, in 7mm I have a tool that stamps one at a time. I have a commercial version of yours, ie a wheel/cog, yet in reality its used by aero modellers to replicate aviation type flush rivets in 1/72 or 1/48-but if anyone wants to stop their bus and stare they can feel free! Lol!

A question for you fellows and an earlier Poster;-The Q1, were they also nicknamed 'Spam Cans' as well as Coffeepots/Ugly-ducklings??

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

So far as I know the term 'spam can' was only used in relation to Bullieds un rebuilt Pacifics.

The Q1s were known as Charlie's because of Their original numbering i.e. C1,C2,C3 etc

Down here in darkest east Kent they were also known as Hornby's i.e. Where do you insert they key ?!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As the pictures show, the line from Westerham and Brasted runs under the Ewer Street Depot ( my very loose version of it.) Some parts of this line I need to conceal, but will still need to have access to. The building is based on the old Barclay and Fry factory next to the Metal Box Company, which have now been converted into appartements.

Construction is all of card and brick paper mounted onto corrugated cardboard, at the moment my thoughts are to have some sort of steam service depot or just two sidings on top of the arches terminating behind a ARP signal box, any thoughts suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.   I hope the pictures are self explanatory, but if not please ask. All the best Adrian.

post-17489-0-47281400-1490985047_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-96144200-1490985067_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-46330100-1490985084_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-03080800-1490985108_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-60706100-1490985126_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-65866200-1490985144_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-70124700-1490985164_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-91702400-1490985181_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-28614600-1490985198_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-69899000-1490985222_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-60566400-1490985299_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-60582500-1490985319_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-84105700-1490985342_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-73293900-1490985384_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-94937900-1490985400_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-40249200-1490985420_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-15804500-1490985439_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Barclay and Fry were one of the 4 packaging companies that combined in 1921 to form the Allied Tin Box Makers Ltd; which a year later became Metal Box and Printing Industries.

As an aside, Robert Barclay, of Barclay and Fry, developed the offset lithography process for printing on tinplate. He leased the process to Huntley, Boorne and Stevens, who were the tin manufacturers for Huntley and Pamers (as mentioned by the Stationmaster earlier in this thread).

And this is absolutely splendid modelling - takes me right back to my Southwark days in 1983.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, some answers for Steve and Danstercivicman, and a thank you to Zero Gravitas for the background information on Barclay Fry.

The paper used to clad the building is Scalescenes from the scratch builders section, the concrete facade  is made from the Model Rail Scenery 1930 s factory using just the top half with the bottom section removed, then another section of the top half turned and butted up to produce a wide strip. Best method for glueing paper to board that has been recommended elswhere is a seam roller and pritt stick. All the best Adrian.

Thanks for that. I'd like to build something using scalescenes paper, is that dark brown? I'm currently building the Model Railway Scenery warehouse. Hope it turns out ok.

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice Spam Can Adrian.

I bet you're having fun with that...

Regards Shaun

.... urm,...

A question for you fellows and an earlier Poster;-The Q1, were they also nicknamed 'Spam Cans' as well as Coffeepots/Ugly-ducklings??

Atvb

CME

...yes...I mean no. Let me explain.

Hi CME, an answer to your question courtesy of the internet. All the best Adrian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Q1_class

...Wikipedia also informs us that the "Spam Cans" were so named for their utilitarian appearance...

So far as I know the term 'spam can' was only used in relation to Bullieds un rebuilt Pacifics.

The Q1s were known as Charlie's because of Their original numbering i.e. C1,C2,C3 etc

Down here in darkest east Kent they were also known as Hornby's i.e. Where do you insert they key ?!

...were as I've always been under the impression it was because much recycled metal went into their construction. If you ever visit Brighton take a look at the walls out front of all the houses and you'll see the metal nubs where all the railings were removed also for the war effort.

The Southern Railway was the biggest employer in the town during the war and I've had many conversations with people about the subject and have been under the impression that all of Bulleid's austere locos were thus nick-named.

Incidentally there is a picture of a Q1 on the Brighton Motive power Depots web page here which is captioned as a Spam Can so maybe it's a Brightonian thing! Local slang is a vastly confusing subject, for instance that's the first time I've heard of them as Hornbys!!!

Sincere apologies if I'm wrong.

Regards Shaun.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Shaun, thanks for the link it has many interesting pictures and articles which make a good read over a cuppa. What a sad end for such a great works to finish up making the Isetta Bubble Car, at least it gave work for some people http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__5455.aspx

All the best Adrian. ( I wonder if we are having Spam for tea )   

post-17489-0-48929000-1491232492.jpg

post-17489-0-88589700-1491232743_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Hi CME, an answer to your question courtesy of the internet. All the best Adrian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Q1_class

Thanks-so its akin to what I mentioned before 

Some interesting comments and info from everyone to support the superb modelling here. In the regions it seems with many loco types there were common-or-garden nicknames and then some specific, localised ones (eg those uttered in specific works). Thanks for the education all.

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You might have your spam filter off Adrian.

Whilst out doing the weekly grocery  run I just had to get myself a tin of the stuff for sandwiches this week. Just for a change, you know.

post-8964-0-71733200-1491754312.jpg

Can you chaps get this variety over there. It's rather good and an interesting fact is that there's less sodium in it than the less sodium kind.

Apologies for going off topic. Shaun.

• Like 5