Getting the wife to understand modifying RTR stock

When you read a topic like this you realise just why domestic sit-coms that use the old "battle of the sexes" routine still get made ... :no:

Now, take my wife ... please, take my wife ... aye thank ewe :jester:

Seriously ... my girlfriend, being an artist, understands modelling, but can't understand why anyone would (a) NOT weather things, and (B) would bother modelling "twee and boring" (her words) countryside scenes when there is so much interest in urban and city dereliction, decay, etc. Thankfully that's the way my modelling is leaning (and sooner or later I'll have more to show for it than endless plans on scrap paper!) otherwise ....

As for modelling being untidy and running into conflict with others in the house, you haven't seen anything until you've shared a house with an artist who sculpts, paints, prints, sews ... and I thought I'd got lots of boxes of rubbish (sorry, I mean, potentially useful modelling materials ...)!

• RMweb Premium

I can see why a car should have 6 cylinders, and would love to have such. For many reasons I have just four. At least four sound better than three, which many cars are getting now.

I also use LPG so it is a bit cheaper to run

I can see why a car should have 6 cylinders, and would love to have such. For many reasons I have just four. At least four sound better than three, which many cars are getting now.

mine's 3 cylinder diesel, sounds like a class 37 when struggling to start on a cold day (I always forget to wait a moment for the coil to warm)

• RMweb Gold

I've managed (i think) to explain to her about re-numbering and even re-painting a RTR model, but she (unlike my mother) can not understand why anyone would buy a model for whatever amount (unless it was really cheap) and start chopping it up.

as such she refuses to buy me anything for the railway incase I do so.

how do you explain and persuade your other half that it isn't a waste etc.

or do you just not bother?

I find this a little odd, unless it's tongue in cheek. Neither I, nor my lovely wife, would question why a present was requested or what the intended use of it was. I would suggest to your wife that the idea of a present is to please the recipient and unless she wants you to question how she intends to use any present you buy her, it would be nice if she just bought you the darned present!

If you do want to persuade her by argument, ask her if she or any of her female friends have ever bought an item of clothing knowing they would need to alter it in some way before wearing it. Bet there's no woman on the planet could honestly answer "no"

If all else fails, agree a really small budget to exchange token presents and spend the rest on yourself.

I find this a little odd, unless it's tongue in cheek. Neither I, nor my lovely wife, would question why a present was requested or what the intended use of it was. I would suggest to your wife that the idea of a present is to please the recipient and unless she wants you to question how she intends to use any present you buy her, it would be nice if she just bought you the darned present!

If you do want to persuade her by argument, ask her if she or any of her female friends have ever bought an item of clothing knowing they would need to alter it in some way before wearing it. Bet there's no woman on the planet could honestly answer "no"

If all else fails, agree a really small budget to exchange token presents and spend the rest on yourself.

No, it is the case.

I'm not sure if it's actually more a "I don't really want to only get you one loco for the railway as I'll not be able to tell which it is later and you might sell it if you change what you model"

If we had a higher budget for christmas presents and so it wasn't the only present with one or two small bits to go with it it might be a different story.

I don't think she does alter anything she buys.

• RMweb Gold

My situation is very similar Black Sheep.... she doesn't really understand what I get up to but she happily leaves me to it. She often looks bemused with my purchases but then I'm often confused by some of hers, I mean how many shoes, bags, lotions and potions do you need? Each to their own I guess :dontknow:

My situation is very similar Black Sheep.... she doesn't really understand what I get up to but she happily leaves me to it. She often looks bemused with my purchases but then I'm often confused by some of hers, I mean how many shoes, bags, lotions and potions do you need? Each to their own I guess :dontknow:

Cost for cost - probably about even :)

My other half has more nail colours for her nails than all the railways Cos. ever had. But can I find one that I can use for any railway use, NO. These small bottles cost more than the paint that we use, and after a day or two it's removed? Why? I think that it's just a girl thing.

But, I've found out some of the stuff that is used can be of use to us boys (sorry girl modellers), is the rapid set for super glue, the boss gets it in a bottle of about 250ml for about £4.00 to help stick on any false nails, we will pay about £5.00 for about 50ml to help stick on a bit of brass. This stuff helps to set super glue in seconds.

Acetone, go in to any nail shop and it will be cheaper than you will get it from any model shop, and it will be in a bigger bottle.

Rant over,

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

No idea what I am getting for Christmas/birthday probably a game or 2 and Prometheus BD (hope it is better than the critics say - I am a fan of Ridley Scotts work).

No idea what I am getting for Christmas/birthday probably a game or 2 and Prometheus BD (hope it is better than the critics say - I am a fan of Ridley Scotts work).

Prometheus was good. If you are a fan then I think there is minimal danger you will not like it.

mine's 3 cylinder diesel, sounds like a class 37 when struggling to start on a cold day (I always forget to wait a moment for the coil to warm)

On a common rail high pressure injection you don't need the coils for anything but the coldest days in this country, and then not for long.

Guest jim s-w

If you can detatch it from Alien its a decent enough sci-fi film. If you have any expectations at all along the lines of Alien you will be massively dissapointed

Cheers

Jim

It's good for locking nuts :declare:

I get my own from Sally's nail bar. I used to get some odd looks but not any more, I think that they just think that I'm eccentric now. You can get some other stuff in there that can be used for modelling as well.

OzzyO.

My better half has still not forgiven me for reducing the Hornby 28xx she bought me for Xmas to a pile of component parts by New Years Eve. Even after re-gauging with Gibsons and a few detail enhancements I still got that quizical look when she viewed the finished masterpiece.

No pleasing some people! :scratchhead:

Andy.

Archived