JBM37404

I figured I would start a new thread regarding the intended future this layout is to take now...

Having brought it over to Liverpool from Deeping and its constructor Neil Mason I am now just starting to get some plans on the go.

Those who have seen its progress in the Millwood thread will have seen the high standard of track and scenery that is already present and it looks unlikley for the foreseeable future that the track layout will change.

The time setting will be the 1990-1993 period when sectorisation had bitten hard but the privatisation period was just a few years ahead so there will be a lack of EWS and Transrail/Mainline type colours.

On the now border between Cheshire and Merseyside is the former site of Halebank station, closed as part of the Beeching cuts my intention is to create a small Loco Yard close to where that station was. Electrification happened in the 1960s so the layout will require the overhead spaghetti.

My arguement for having a loco Yard here is that sectorisation management has gone a bit daft ( It did for a while) and Allerton TMD has been turned over to Regional Railways/Provincial for Unit use (Something which it has done recently with Northern) Garston has also closed and Warrington does not yet have a fuel point.

In the area is the Ditton BOC complex and Ford Halewood which should see a good selection of engines being prototypical although anything that was running on BR at the time could visit.

I have an idea up my sleeve also for the warehouse building which will reflect something that used to happen regularly at the time as it would be good to not just fill the layout with railway features only.....

No pics as yet as nothing has changed feature wise from Neils work. An NCE powercab is wired in now and am looking at stock to obtain for the layout. A sound fitted 85 is hopefully to happen...

John

Guest Linthorpe

I hope that you are pleased with your acquisition, I must admit I did ponder getting it myself. I look forward to seeing it move forward.

Nice to see Millwood is going to live on. Good choice of period too, a period which I model as it brings back many memories for me. Lots of opportunity for colour. The Bachmann 85 is superb and with legomanbiffos sound in is a cracker. I run one on Outon Road. I dont know how you are planning your overheads but if you need any advice Im happy to help.

Cav

Modelling my old stomping ground, good luck and il keep an eye out for updates.

I remember in my very early youth that my gran used to live in Garston, with a railway line running next to her house. At the back of her house was a field that led to a branch off the main line, it was the branch that led down into Garston container terminal. At the end of the field was a small road that went over a level crossing and into a large sidings area, I think it was some kind of stabling point? As you crossed the level crossing you had the main line about 1/2 mile away to the left, the branch line led to the container terminal to the right, and straight ahead was the stabling point and at the far end was the Ford Halewood factory with the car trains. I remember it so well as my dad was mad about trains and knew a driver who was regularly at the stabling point, he managed to blag the chance for me to drive a few trains there including an 08, 37, 47, 60, 87 and 90. Happy memories!!

I've always fancied modelling this area and including Allerton TMD, I had the track plans many years ago but space has always stopped me.

Mark

Modelling my old stomping ground, good luck and il keep an eye out for updates.

I remember in my very early youth that my gran used to live in Garston, with a railway line running next to her house. At the back of her house was a field that led to a branch off the main line, it was the branch that led down into Garston container terminal. At the end of the field was a small road that went over a level crossing and into a large sidings area, I think it was some kind of stabling point? As you crossed the level crossing you had the main line about 1/2 mile away to the left, the branch line led to the container terminal to the right, and straight ahead was the stabling point and at the far end was the Ford Halewood factory with the car trains. I remember it so well as my dad was mad about trains and knew a driver who was regularly at the stabling point, he managed to blag the chance for me to drive a few trains there including an 08, 37, 47, 60, 87 and 90. Happy memories!!

I've always fancied modelling this area and including Allerton TMD, I had the track plans many years ago but space has always stopped me.

Mark

Garston had a Stabling point, the sidings are still there and used to this day mainly for car distribution traffic. The Train crew depot closed 1992 I think and the crews moved to Warrington or Wigan, Garston has a small FLHH pool of drivers also at the moment for local Coal stuff in the main.

Havent got massive budget to throw in for stock at the moment but finding my ebay feet again and a lot of my old lima stuff is going that way soon.

Hunts Cross could make a good layout with space including the TMD or Allerton/South Liverpool PW depending on your era of choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Little update for now, Stock is slowly being bought and readied..!

On this picture 37678 (Sound fitted Bass reflex speaker) just rested off the Tanhouse Lane Cement.

86214 sits in the foreground waiting the wires to go up!

I am pondering which road to go down with wiring. I have some OO Dapol masts but am not not leaving it wireless!!

Johnpost-6392-0-54800700-1355394786_thumb.jpg

No pics attached John. I would for such a small layout seriously consider scratchbuilt wires. Check out my Outon Road thread for what is possible. Im happy to help if you have any questions.

Cav

Hi John

Nice to see a picture of the layout again. I hope it is going well.

I would seriously consider Cavs overheads, i know first hand what there like and good they are from being on the Outon Road Crew.

They do look pretty cool.

If you get chance can you do a little video of the sound locos on the layout, something i never achieved and always wondered what it would be like.

Cheers

Neil

I would also change the pan on the 86 as the Heljan one isnt suitable for running on scale overheads. Or even existing as far as Im concerned. The new Bachmann 85 pan is the way to go at £12 plus £2 postage. Needs a bit of cosmetics doing to make it into the 86 style stone faverly pan but well worth the effort. The Helby 86 I have on my workbench at the mo will have the 85 pan.

Cav

I would also change the pan on the 86 as the Heljan one isnt suitable for running on scale overheads. Or even existing as far as Im concerned. The new Bachmann 85 pan is the way to go at £12 plus £2 postage. Needs a bit of cosmetics doing to make it into the 86 style stone faverly pan but well worth the effort. The Helby 86 I have on my workbench at the mo will have the 85 pan.

Cav

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I don't suppose you know where I can get the pans for a Hornby class 92? I bought one on eBay a year ago but it only came with the tips, not the supporting struts - it doesn't look right running without them!

Here you go.

http://pages.ebay.co...id=330829708381

HTH

Cav

PS having said that the class 92 pans are rubbish and dont work on proper ohle. What you need is a proper working pair of bw hs pans. These arent available rtr except for hornbys poor class 90/91 effort.

Thanks Cav, I've pinged the seller and asked if they'll work on my 1997 model of the 92 (Hornby R2035) and if they do I'll grab a set.

I'm not too fussed about "working properly" as there's not really enough in the design on my layout to justify OHLE across the whole thing (I was just going to fit a cheap DCC decoder to the pancake inside and continue to pick up through the wheels), but thanks for the heads-up. :)

No pics attached John. I would for such a small layout seriously consider scratchbuilt wires. Check out my Outon Road thread for what is possible. Im happy to help if you have any questions.

Cav

Cav

I have had a look and contemplating it. How do you get them up and down with a split baseboard for transport??

Also agree with the comments on the 86 Pan, its a lovely model only let down by that feature. The Pan looks overscale for starters....!

John

Hi John

Nice to see a picture of the layout again. I hope it is going well.

I would seriously consider Cavs overheads, i know first hand what there like and good they are from being on the Outon Road Crew.

They do look pretty cool.

If you get chance can you do a little video of the sound locos on the layout, something i never achieved and always wondered what it would be like.

Cheers

Neil

Neil

Will have a go with some filming in the next few days see what results I get and youtube them.

John

The wire sections over the board joint are seperate unlike the rest of the system and the contact wire hooked at the end and simply hooked on to the adjacent wire. Once the tensioners are engaged the whole thing is pulled tight and the ride over the joint is smooth.

Cav

The wire sections over the board joint are seperate unlike the rest of the system and the contact wire hooked at the end and simply hooked on to the adjacent wire. Once the tensioners are engaged the whole thing is pulled tight and the ride over the joint is smooth.

Cav

Will have shot over The holiday season see what I can rig up...!

Cav

Cav, can you post some pics please....a picture paints a thousand words!

Cheers!

Cav, can you post some pics please....a picture paints a thousand words!

Cheers!

Indeed some close ups would be fantastic.

Also to pick your brain further would you know whom may stock Spare Class 85 pantographs? Or is it a call to Bachmann jobbie??

Its very tempting to buy an 85 also as my office is 2 mins from a well known model shop in liverpool which I am trying to hide the credit card from...

Keeping my engine workbench quota low with an 08 next which will be a Hornby 08402 morphing into 08703. The sound chip will follow once Christmas has passed...

I will have to look through my pics to see what I have. The layout can only be fully erected at exhibitions due to having no room at home so not easy to just pop up stairs a take a pic. I could always do a sketch if not. As for 85 pans, direct from Bachmann. I would hartily recommend an 85 though. Also leggomanbiffos sound files for it are excellent!

Cav

Heres a pic of the layout from a recent issue of Model Rail taken brilliantly by Chris Nevard (hopefully he wont mind me showing this). The wires you can see going under the bridge are the hook on pair which are hooked onto the registration arms you can see and the next set under the bridge. Not sure how clear it is. The sound fitted 85 has been a real hit on the circuit!

post-6894-0-88591800-1355515954.jpeg

I will have to look through my pics to see what I have. The layout can only be fully erected at exhibitions due to having no room at home so not easy to just pop up stairs a take a pic. I could always do a sketch if not. As for 85 pans, direct from Bachmann. I would hartily recommend an 85 though. Also leggomanbiffos sound files for it are excellent!

Cav

Heres a pic of the layout from a recent issue of Model Rail taken brilliantly by Chris Nevard (hopefully he wont mind me showing this). The wires you can see going under the bridge are the hook on pair which are hooked onto the registration arms you can see and the next set under the bridge. Not sure how clear it is. The sound fitted 85 has been a real hit on the circuit!

post-6894-0-88591800-1355515954.jpeg

Good picture, weathering on the 85 looks the business also. It could have been seeing the model 85 that has given me the modelling bug back after 20 years. I still miss the sight of them in Liverpool Lime Street. I am glad that I havent gone down the China Clay road I was thinking about..!

Archived