Airfix brake van

Hello,

At Warley I picked up an Airfix brake van kit, which looks like a nice kit but I suspect it needs some work to bring it up to scratch.

1. Are there any shape problems or other inaccuracies?

2. Which transfers would suit the kit? I was thinking of the Model Master M4615.

3. What paint (acrylic)? Humbrol 62, 70, or somewhere between the two?

4. Are there any aftermarket bits worth fitting (e.g. buffers, brass bits, Parkside Dundas chassis)?

This is just something to build up my skills, but I'd appreciate some expert advice :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't help with the Brake Van but I made up a couple of Prestwins and they came our really well indeed - they were Dapol versions and came with (if I remember correctly) bearings and decent wheel sets. I substituted brass wire were I could but the original transfers worked out well. Buffers seemed fine although I'm sure there are better ones around for the brake van. Overall the mouldings were very good but your may be better if its an early Airfix kit (masters should be less worn?)

I have been tempted by a brake van kit.....

Chris

Guest 40-something

I have one of these brakes to build to. I'll be replacing the wheels and adding wire handrails. Otherwise thats it really. I really enjoy building these old kits, they go together very well and for their age capture the prototypes very well.

Ive built a rake of Prestwins, 16t minerals and a meat Van, currently Im working on 2 tank wagon kits and replacing the ladders and walkways with RT Models etches, Would love them to do the same for the Prestwins.

Guest Max Stafford

Even fifty years after its debut the old Airfix/Dapol 20T brake still scrubs up superbly, given a little work as ably described by Joe.

Definitely a good starting point - I built my first one at 14, back in 1978!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

It's a nice kit, and certainly rewards a little extra effort. You might want to take a look at this topic at Finescale Railway Modellers Workshop, it gives some ideas though you may want to pick and choose which you adopt. I f asked to recommend one upgrade to the basic kit I think I'd choose to replace the thick moulded kit part with one formed from 20 thou plasticard. It's easy to set a curve in plasticard; big glass jar (pasta sauce) a strip of plasticard coiled up and tucked inside, fill with warm then hot tap water to avoid thermal shock cracking the jar then pour boiling water in and leave to cool. The palsticard strip will come out curved.

I've looked at Dart Castings and they have some good MJT buffers (thank you for pointing me in that direction) - does anybody know which style I need for the brake van?

Hi, no-one has mentioned 'Lanarkshire Models' buffers yet, I'm a bit miffed at that.... You ask what style of buffers you need. It all depends on which BR van you are modelling and in what period.

Early vans had our No. B003 whether unfitted (Grey with 3 link couplings) or piped (bauxite with instanta couplings and vac pipe). Fully fitted vans (bauxite) generally had our No. B004 buffer, vac pipe and screw couplings. Note, there were batch anomalies and odd replacements too. No more unfitted vans were built for general use after 1956.

Vans built from 1957 had hydraulic buffers, firstly the square Dowty No. BH01 (bauxite, instanta or screw couplings and vac pipe) then quickly followed by the round Dowty BH02. Fully fitted vans had BH03 with screw couplings. Around 58/59 Oleo pneumatic buffers came in and these were later used to replace worn out buffers of all types, our Oleo buffers BP01 with screw couplings, sometimes instantas and much later BP02 with a long continental screw coupling or a normal screw coupling on an extended hook.

Vac pipes were usually our VP03 though very early builds had a tall pipe VP01, these seemed to disappear in favour of VP03. Vac pipes had the steel pipe painted white for a piped van and red for fully fitted.

Hope that helps in you build of the Airfix van. I'll not mention the small changes in the handrail positions, check the photos.

Dave Franks.

Dowty buffer and a trial fit of a new vac pipe mock-up, since replaced by the production version. Altered handrail too.

post-10324-0-54600000-1354093342.jpg

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 7

These vans were far from standardised, as mentioned buffers differ, but so do length of steps, whether unfit, piped or Vacuum brake etc.

Choose one that suits you, masses of photos here

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan500

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan504

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakevan506

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brbrakediag507

A useful article at Banks, Steve (2002). Bringing up the rear. Model Rail February 2002. pp 18 – 24

Drawings at Silsbury, Roger & Mann, Trevor., (1983) The 20 ton standard goods brake van. Model Railway Constructor vol. 50 (part 589) pp 279 - 283. Drawings - Brake van diag. 1/504; Brake van air pipe diag. 1/507.

They are very nice kits.

Paul Bartlett

Yep, paul's website has masses of info if you study the photos, as he says the stepboards were shorter on vans up to about 1950, horisontal handrails on end platforms fitted after that. Also, after 1956 axleboxes changed to roller bearing (see alternative Hornby vans, they do both).

If you state what period and van type you want we may be able to suggest a number or photo.

Dave Franks.

Whether you use the kit roof or a replacement do note that the kit roof has the chimney and vents in the wrong places, effectively a mirror image of what they should be, roofs.jpg

the chimney is a bit small also and best replaced with a bit of tube, so can be repositioned at the same time.

Keith

Edited by Grovenor
  • Like 1

The guard's duckets are about 1mm too high (or maybe low can't quite remember) and there's the issue mentioned with the roof but it's still a good starting point. They make up into a nice model with a bit of work. I've got one to go under a Bradwell chassis sometime, when I get around to brakevans.

Well I certainly didn't expect this much advice - thanks everyone! I think I will follow this plan of action:

1. Shave off moulded handrails and replace with wire

2. Replace buffers, coupling hooks, and vac pipe with Lanarkshire Models items

3. Replace plastic wheelsets with metal ones

I am looking to model a bauxite (fitted) van, pre-1956 - one thing I'm not sure about is transfers seeing as the Airfix ones are now very yellow and curled - can anybody recommend a good source?

Here's my Dapol one waiting in the build queue. Lack of time at the moment is problematic, Plus the fact that most of the stuff I need is currently in my case at the club. I'll probably take this, the ventilated van I've got and the Parkside Dundas Grampus there and build them.

IMAG0056.jpg

Guest 40-something

They are a nice kit, worth replacing the wheels and pin point bearings, new handrails is a must. If you want a really interesting project you could try this:

post-7400-0-59779300-1354136813.jpg

Must not use strong solvent...

Great work there!!!

I'm also wondering if the Bill Bedford handrail jigs are worth buying.

Yes. Once you have them you will find them most useful. They are a good way of getting two or more lengths of wire to come out the same, unless you are amiong the many who are cleverer and more skilled than I am and can do that with pliers and a ruler.

Chris

• Like 2