Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

Hi Al, I cant believe the difference that roof has made to the shed, it look right until you said it was wrong and then it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Lovely bit of work and most people would have only shown pics of the finished article but again your step by step break down and re build really is a help to NUMPTYS like me.

Bodgit, :O  Oh yes I will :no: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To finish off the office building, then.

I thought about the roof for quite a while in between doing other things today. (Wasn't it HOT!)

The more I thought, the more I agreed with Andy G (uax6) that when you look at slate, you don't see flat grey, you see blues and purples and even greens.

The only problem was, the only blue pot of paint I currently have is this:

post-17302-0-29782700-1373222788.jpg

However, I reckoned, if I mixed it with this:

post-17302-0-91157100-1373222788.jpg

Then I might come up with something useable.

So I tried various mixes, and eventually came up with this:

post-17302-0-04030100-1373222791_thumb.jpg

The camera doesn't see it like I do, but it does have a blue-y purple-y tinge.

Whilst that was drying, I built the windows out of micro strip. This is something a lot of modellers do, and shouldn't be a big deal, but let me illustrate:

Here's a window, and also in shot are my fat fingers.

post-17302-0-00598500-1373222793_thumb.jpg

I spent longer building two windows than it took to build a new roof for the shed!

Every time I got a glazing bar lined up, and approached it with Mek-Pak to glue it in position, it would move, or jump, or fly off into the nether regions under the kitchen table, or end up stuck to the aforesaid fat fingers...

Sheesh!

The main station building (which I have yet to build) has got 28 windows in it!

I may be some time...

Anyway, it got done, and here's the result:

post-17302-0-01993500-1373222795_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-16103400-1373222797_thumb.jpg

I hope you realise the risks I go to, to take the photos for this thread, I nearly got flattened by that Crab, and the driver shouted a lot of words I didn't understand, but seemed to have a lot of "K"s in.

I'm now going to turn my attention back to the Up platform Station building. The paint did eventually dry, it took an unconscionable time though.

So, it all looks very pretty, but far too clean and shiny.

I'm going to try out various weathering techniques on the back, first, so that if I stuff it up (which is more than likely) I can remedy it without destroying too much detail.

More soon,

Al

Edited for Spillong

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, I cant believe the difference that roof has made to the shed, it look right until you said it was wrong and then it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Lovely bit of work and most people would have only shown pics of the finished article but again your step by step break down and re build really is a help to NUMPTYS like me.

Bodgit, :O  Oh yes I will :no: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

Hi Andy, thanks, I really wasn't happy with the first go.

I'm glad to help anytime by documenting my disasters!

Does the "Oh yes I will" mean you're going to give it a go then? :O :locomotive:

That's really good Al, You were lucky not to get bitten by the Crab, or even worse catch something nasty :no:

The glazing bars look spot on, I have tried to do a Ratio Signal box with the windows already made up and just needed fitting, I still got one lot upside down.. :nono:

Bodged it as usual :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That roof colour does look better (shame the colours don't come out to well in the photos!)..

As for the windows, I've not done it myself (not really a building man, except in 12" to 1' scale) I would try having the frame sat inside a cutout in another sheet of plasticard, then use full lengths of microstrip, you can then tape them into position so they dont move. Or with a set of cailipers you can secure them but stabing the calipers into the cutting mat! (I don't know how I coped before I found my set of Rotaring calipers!!)

You be careful standing in the 6' there isn't that much space!

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So, returning to the Station building, let's first remind ourselves of the colours and effect we want to copy:

post-17302-0-56258700-1373230087_thumb.jpg

And here is what we have so far:

post-17302-0-85642200-1373230073_thumb.jpg

As I said, I'm practicing on the back bit, as it's just plain sheet with little detail.

First, i tried highlighting the odd stone in different colours.

Here's the palette I used:

post-17302-0-58065000-1373230075_thumb.jpg

And here's the result:

post-17302-0-51835400-1373230077_thumb.jpg

Not all of these are a success. I think I can get away with using the Matt Sand, and maybe the Leather, but I'm not at all sure the others work.

I think I would probably be tempted just to stick to the Matt Sand.

I then moved on to thinking about washes. I tried an Olive Green very dilute, but this was not a good look:

post-17302-0-46840100-1373230079_thumb.jpg

I'll have to get rid of that later.

Then Looking at the photos of the real thing, I decided to do a very dilute wash of Matt Sand over the top of the Pale Stone.

You can see that here, on the lower right area. It was still wet when I took the picture, so might look better when dry.

post-17302-0-47409100-1373230081_thumb.jpg

I added a bit of Olive Green to the Matt Sand wash, and that gave this effect (lower left ):

post-17302-0-28729500-1373230085_thumb.jpg

I tried the same wash on the wall of the waiting room, which hadn't had anything done to it yet, and it looks quite effective:

post-17302-0-65154600-1373230083_thumb.jpg

So, lots of things to think about.

I don't like the highlights using anything other than the Matt Sand, I don't think they look right. I don't like the Olive Green wash straight over the base colour, it looks too grey, strangely.

I do like the Matt Sand and Olive Green mix as a thin wash, and in conjunction with highlighted stones might work.

I'm going to  wait for everything to dry, and take more photos before I come to any final decisions.

If anyone would like to jump in with your opinions so far, you're more than welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, sorry to mention it so late, but are you using the Slater's slates correctly? The strips of slates are meant to overlap one another. They are cut out two rows high, a plain row over a row where the slate edges butt up to each other. Then a row of slates is stuck over each plain row so giving the impression that the slates overlap one another as it real life. It's not very easy to explain without a pic so when I get home I'll show you what I mean.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, sorry to mention it so late, but are you using the Slater's slates correctly? The strips of slates are meant to overlap one another. They are cut out two rows high, a plain row over a row where the slate edges butt up to each other. Then a row of slates is stuck over each plain row so giving the impression that the slates overlap one another as it real life. It's not very easy to explain without a pic so when I get home I'll show you what I mean.

You're quite right, and I do know what you mean, I just haven't done it right.

Thanks Jonathan, I did say I was new to all this, and it's this sort of silly mistake I need folk to point out, 'cos otherwise I won't know.

Oh well, roof no.3 coming up :)

Cheers,

Al

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, I like the Sand / Olive Green Mix, that looks right, if you colour some stones first then they will show through.

Bodgit

Hi Andy, yep, I'll take some more photos tonight when things are dry, and then decide from there when you lot have had a look, but I'm definitely thinking that's the way to go at the moment.

Cheers mate,

Al

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jonathan, I did say I was new to all this, and it's this sort of silly mistake I need folk to point out, 'cos otherwise I won't know.

Cheers,

Al

Al, that's ok. On my recent coach building effort I managed to get the brake cylinders and the vee hangers the wrong way round.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a quick couple of shots of the painting I did last night, now it's dried, and using natural daylight:

This is the odd stones and in the bottom right, a Matt Sand wash:

post-17302-0-63618300-1373299153_thumb.jpg

Here's the back of the waiting room, which is the base Pale Stone, and then a wash of Matt Sand and Olive Green together:

post-17302-0-05701800-1373299152_thumb.jpg

and here's the Olive Green wash on it's own (ignore the nasty streaks at the top, and just look at the bottom section):

post-17302-0-30720600-1373299155_thumb.jpg

My conclusions are, I agree with Bodgit, and I'm going to go for the Sand / Olive wash over the top of highlighted stones for the front, with more olive the higher up I go, and introduce some black near the top. For the back, I'm going to paint over what's there now with a fresh coat of the Pale Stone, and then go with the treatment as the front. The waiting room wall with the chimney on, I'll probably leave as it is.

Please let me know your thoughts, before I start, and please let me know if you think I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Al

• Like 5

Cheers,

Al

Hi Al, Look on the bright side ; at least the angles are right.

And I am sure it will look better for it, even though I couldn't tell it was wrong.

Bodgit

Here's a quick couple of shots of the painting I did last night, now it's dried, and using natural daylight:

This is the odd stones and in the bottom right, a Matt Sand wash:

attachicon.gifstation-paint010.jpg

Here's the back of the waiting room, which is the base Pale Stone, and then a wash of Matt Sand and Olive Green together:

attachicon.gifstation-paint009.jpg

and here's the Olive Green wash on it's own (ignore the nasty streaks at the top, and just look at the bottom section):

attachicon.gifstation-paint011.jpg

My conclusions are, I agree with Bodgit, and I'm going to go for the Sand / Olive wash over the top of highlighted stones for the front, with more olive the higher up I go, and introduce some black near the top. For the back, I'm going to paint over what's there now with a fresh coat of the Pale Stone, and then go with the treatment as the front. The waiting room wall with the chimney on, I'll probably leave as it is.

Please let me know your thoughts, before I start, and please let me know if you think I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Al

Evening Al, the Sand is a much nicer warmer colour but the Green just adds to it, I would try a bit on the back of mixing on the stonework NOT ON THE PALLET, with a very wet wash and as Artists cal it; Wet into Wet and then you will get a nice mix.

Bear in mind I HAVE NEVER DONE IT but that may be worth a try.

Bodgit

• RMweb Gold

OK so here it is, the station painting post. :)

I finally got some time this afternoon to do the weathering of the station building.

So, without further ado, let's begin.

Here is the front of the building, in its basic coat of Humbrol Pale Stone:

post-17302-0-98770100-1373391864_thumb.jpg

So firstly, I highlighted the odd individual stone in a light green:

post-17302-0-92359400-1373391866_thumb.jpg

Can't see it? Honest, it's there, look:

post-17302-0-88762500-1373391868_thumb.jpg

Then I did a few stones in Matt Sand, and Matt Brown:

post-17302-0-24894200-1373391871_thumb.jpg

Then, I painted the coping stones in Matt Oliver Green, and applied a very dilute wash of Olive Green to the rest:

post-17302-0-29576200-1373391873_thumb.jpg

I let that dry (which took seconds, in this heat) and then added another wash of Olive Green mixed with Matt Sand:

post-17302-0-47094400-1373391875_thumb.jpg

Then I used a thicker wash of Olive Green, and added a bit of Dirty Black, to add the smoke blackened area at the top of the building:

post-17302-0-64552100-1373391877_thumb.jpg

Finally, I thought that overall it still looked too pale and creamy coloured, so I added an overall wash of Matt Sand on it's own, to warm it up a bit:

post-17302-0-83653900-1373391879_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot of it outside in daylight:

post-17302-0-55080900-1373391881_thumb.jpg

I think I'm pleased with this. However, I'll leave until tomorrow and look at it again, I might go over it again with another wash of the Sand, if I think it's still a bit cold looking.

Here's the real thing as a reminder:

post-17302-0-81103100-1373392778_thumb.jpg

And here's a shot of it in 1965

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bakewell/index88.shtml

On a separate note, my Dad has been clearing some old boxes of stuff, and came across this:

post-17302-0-02034900-1373392408.jpg

An original 1948 copy of Mile by Mile over the LMS, which includes the Bakewell line.

That's all for now, more later.

Thanks for looking.

Al

• Like 1

Now that is quite something Al.

You say you're no artist but you've obviously got 'it' my friend. I think the best word to sum it up is 'subtle'. You can hardly see the change from picture to picture as you build it up but the finished effect is uncanny.

I did art at school. I was fine doing 'O' level (remember them?) as it was all pencil drawing and light n shade, but when I tried it at 'A' level I hadn't got a flippin clue because it was all about... working with colour(!) and that took me well outside my comfort zone.

Please keep posting things like this because they're great to watch!

• RMweb Gold

Just to round off the station so far, here's a couple of shots of it in place on the layout:

post-17302-0-84232800-1373482019_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-82379100-1373482021_thumb.jpg

I need to finish it off with windows and doors, and then little details like electrical conduit advertising posters and signs.

Then, I can start on the main Station building for the down platform.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The other job for today was the replacement roof for the goods office.

Jonathan (Rowsley17D) quite rightly pointed out that I'd done it wrong, using the Slater's tiles as they came on the sheet, instead of cutting them and overlapping them, which is how you're supposed to do it.

It just goes to prove that I'm still a relative novice at this. I haven't done this sort of thing before, and I'm still learning, so please point out my mistakes (I'm sure there'll be plenty!)

So here is the office roof mark3.

First, I had to cut the Slater's sheet into strips, each two rows wide containing one strip of slates and one plain strip:

post-17302-0-65817400-1373482335_thumb.jpg

Then, these strips are glued together overlapping the plain strip of the bottom layer with the tiled bit of the next layer, and staggered so the slates are overlapping by half along the length:

post-17302-0-06377700-1373482338_thumb.jpg

When I'd done that, and left it to set a bit, I cut out the sections I required for the roof:

post-17302-0-28293800-1373482340_thumb.jpg

This close-up shows the overlapping layers:

post-17302-0-02820600-1373482342_thumb.jpg

I then proceeded as I had done before, joining the two sections with a strip of 5thou plasticard, leaving a gap down the middle for the fold:

post-17302-0-02981300-1373482344_thumb.jpg

and sticking two more pieces of the thin plasticard on the Triangular front section:

post-17302-0-90742800-1373482345_thumb.jpg

I then turned the triangle over, and glued each half of the roof to the sides of the triangle:

post-17302-0-70656400-1373482347_thumb.jpg

And here's the completed roof, back on the building:

post-17302-0-86609700-1373482349_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-04273000-1373482352_thumb.jpg

When the Mek-Pak has had time to dry off completely, I'll paint it, but already it looks miles better than it did before.

Thanks Jonathan, really appreciate your advice.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 2

OK so here it is, the station painting post. :)

I finally got some time this afternoon to do the weathering of the station building.

So, without further ado, let's begin.

Here is the front of the building, in its basic coat of Humbrol Pale Stone:

attachicon.gifstation-paint012.jpg

So firstly, I highlighted the odd individual stone in a light green:

attachicon.gifstation-paint013.jpg

Can't see it? Honest, it's there, look:

attachicon.gifstation-paint014.jpg

Then I did a few stones in Matt Sand, and Matt Brown:

attachicon.gifstation-paint015.jpg

Then, I painted the coping stones in Matt Oliver Green, and applied a very dilute wash of Olive Green to the rest:

attachicon.gifstation-paint016.jpg

I let that dry (which took seconds, in this heat) and then added another wash of Olive Green mixed with Matt Sand:

attachicon.gifstation-paint017.jpg

Then I used a thicker wash of Olive Green, and added a bit of Dirty Black, to add the smoke blackened area at the top of the building:

attachicon.gifstation-paint018.jpg

Finally, I thought that overall it still looked too pale and creamy coloured, so I added an overall wash of Matt Sand on it's own, to warm it up a bit:

attachicon.gifstation-paint019.jpg

Here's a shot of it outside in daylight:

attachicon.gifstation-paint020.jpg

I think I'm pleased with this. However, I'll leave until tomorrow and look at it again, I might go over it again with another wash of the Sand, if I think it's still a bit cold looking.

Here's the real thing as a reminder:

attachicon.gifstation-facade-composite.jpg

And here's a shot of it in 1965

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bakewell/index88.shtml

On a separate note, my Dad has been clearing some old boxes of stuff, and came across this:

attachicon.gifmile-by-mile.jpg

An original 1948 copy of Mile by Mile over the LMS, which includes the Bakewell line.

That's all for now, more later.

Thanks for looking.

Al

Once again the master of descriptive text and pictures stikes again, absolutly stunning discription on how the wall was done.

Cheers Al.

Andy NO NO Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Not much done tonight, but I've painted the roof of the office, and finally got a photo that shows the colours properly.

I've also roofed and painted the waiting room, and added the guttering.

Here's the office:

post-17302-0-25786000-1373575584_thumb.jpg

and here's the waiting room and the back of the station building:

post-17302-0-28237500-1373575586_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, that roof looks much better. Just as a tip, if you want to make the roof look tired, before glueing the strips together, cut the odd corner off a few slates and cut some in half, but don't over do it unless you want a really run-down look.

Just to lob in the odd grenade - some say the Slater's slates look too thick and paper ones, like those you can download from Scalescenes and print over and over again, are better.

Fetches coat and dons tin hat...

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to lob in the odd grenade - some say the Slater's slates look too thick and paper ones, like those you can download from Scalescenes and print over and over again, are better.

Fetches coat and dons tin hat...

I'm not listening... tra-la-la-la...

I can't hear you.... tra-la-la-la

:P :music:

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 1

I'm not listening... tra-la-la-la...

I can't hear you.... tra-la-la-la

:P :music:

HE SAID,...!!!

You're twice the modeller I am Al, no literally. I make no effort whatsoever on the non viewable side of my stuff!

Keep it up, C6T.