Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, thank you, that means a lot, coming from you. I've been following your Highland Bodgery thread with great interest, even though I'm unlikely to ever build my own locos.

I will look out for the Swann Morton knife, I use their blades at the moment.

How do I cope with it wobbling about? I try not to press on hard enough to bend it :)

It doesn't always work though, hence the broken blades.

Cheers,

Al

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy, thank you, that means a lot, coming from you. I've been following your Highland Bodgery thread with great interest, even though I'm unlikely to ever build my own locos.

I will look out for the Swann Morton knife, I use their blades at the moment.

How do I cope with it wobbling about? I try not to press on hard enough to bend it :)

It doesn't always work though, hence the broken blades.

Cheers,

Al

I'm flattered that you think my bumbling efforts are that good!

I got my Swanns from station road baseboards, they are less than £3 each, so I bought 2, and the blades are dirt cheap too. Ellieens do them too. I had used one of those medical scalpels before, but it scared me to death, just thinking which eye the shard of blade would end up in!

BTW if you do get one, get the blades in boxes of 100, so much better in the long run, although I haven't used 20 in 3 years yet (although I do change blades when I need a point (as these often snap off) and put the older blade back in when I don't!)

Andy G :blush:

• RMweb Gold
 (although I do change blades when I need a point (as these often snap off) and put the older blade back in when I don't!)

Andy G :blush:

There speaks a true Scot! :D

I have had some experience in using medical scalpels, so I tend not to think too much about the consequences, but I've had great fun searching the kitchen floor for the shrapnel.

Not something you want to tread on :O

• RMweb Premium

I'm not tight, just econimical!! (and only an 1/8th Scottish). Then there is the defination of a Yorkshireman........

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Well it's page 10, and no Photos!

Here we go then.

Continuing with the goods shed, there used to be a corrugated iron office stuck on one end, so I've been building that this evening.

The base shell was cut out of 40thou plasticard, and as is my usual method, I assembled my kit of parts:

post-17302-0-77573100-1372972628_thumb.jpg

Here's a close-up of cutting out the A frame:

post-17302-0-59388800-1372972630_thumb.jpg

Starting to assemble, and had a DUH moment, I'd forgotten to cut out the window aperture on the end wall, so I had to pull it off and do it again:

post-17302-0-50223300-1372972632_thumb.jpg

Back together, now with holes for windows:

post-17302-0-52071800-1372972634_thumb.jpg

Here's a pile of corrugated iron.

As you can see, I've started cutting away bits of the bottom of each sheet: I've never seen anything built out of corrugated iron that wasn't rotting away from the ground up, so I've tried to mimic that.

post-17302-0-49379600-1372972636_thumb.jpg

Near to completion now,the roof needs some work yet, and then there will be an end porch, gutters and downpipes, and so on to add, but not tonight.

So here's a couple of pics of where I got to:

post-17302-0-24820400-1372972638_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-18967400-1372972640_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, if you're wondering why the doors for the goods shed appear to be levitating, it's because the building sits in a socket in the baseboard, so the doors are at ground level.

Thanks for looking,

Al

• Like 3

Hi Al I have been away for a couple of days so I am playing catch up, the pics are so instructive and will be a great help to me should I wish to go down that road.

Bodgit

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy. I can't believe how quickly you're getting on with Bute Road, (although I shouldn't be surprised, really).

I'm sure, if you once started, you would find scratchbuilding interesting, and I'm sure you would be just as good at that as you are at the rest of railway modelling.

Thanks Andy. I can't believe how quickly you're getting on with Bute Road, (although I shouldn't be surprised, really).

I'm sure, if you once started, you would find scratchbuilding interesting, and I'm sure you would be just as good at that as you are at the rest of railway modelling.

Hi Al all the planning is done with Bute Road but I am waiting for the track to arrive, which should be about Wednesday all being well. I can then work out the line for the cork under lay and then we are away. Track down, wired,ballasted, buildings in place, FINISHED, hahahaaa some time in 2015 if I am lucky.

I need to learn more about making some buildings, I may start by modifying kits to build up some confidence.

So please keep the Pics and Posts coming. :sungum: :sungum:

Bodgit :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quick update on the office.

I built the front porch, but I forgot to take any photos, sorry about that.

Basically, it's only three bits of Slater's corrugated sheet with a bit of plasticard to stiffen it.

I painted the thing all over, inside and out, with Matt Leather, (Humbrol no. 62), which in this instance makes quite a good base rusty colour, and to completely hide the glaring white of the plasticard.

post-17302-0-24514300-1373057234_thumb.jpg

I then dabbed on some patches of the infamous Matt Sand (Humbrol no. 63), as a lighter rusty colour.

(No picture, sorry).

Whilst the two previous coats were still wet, I then went over the whole thing with Extra Dark Sea Grey (Humbrol no. 123) mixed with Dirty Black (Humbrol RC401). I didn't mix them thoroughly, so I got streaks of the black and streaks of the dark grey side by side. I deliberately didn't paint very thoroughly, and didn't paint right down to the bottom, so that the rusty colour still showed. In addition, because the previous coats were still wet, the paints tended to merge together, so I ended up with a nice effect.

The roof was painted in Dark Grey (Humbrol no. 32) the same as the goods shed, and then brushed over with a wet brush to get a streaky effect.

Below are some shots of how it turned out. The building needs finishing off with gutters, downpipes, windows and things.

These photos were taken whilst the paint was still wet, so it looks a bit shiny in places.

post-17302-0-01706200-1373057236_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-04144100-1373057238_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-81764500-1373057239_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-49842900-1373057241_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 2

Hi Al, did you take Art lessons or are you a part time Artist? the technique and colouring is superb, I live the bottom edge and the subtleness of the different shades.

How will you do the roof?

Bodgit

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, did you take Art lessons or are you a part time Artist? the technique and colouring is superb, I live the bottom edge and the subtleness of the different shades.

How will you do the roof?

Bodgit

Hi mate,

Thank you, I know how good an artist you are - I've seen your backscenes!

I would not have said I had an artistic bone in my body, I did Technical drawing at school, and that's about it.  I can't draw freehand for toffee, but I am good at noticing details, and I try and match what I see.

For instance, for this office, I know what a corrugated building looks like, in terms of where it starts to rust, and what colours you will see, so I cut away bits of the bottom of the sheets, 'cos that's how corrugated iron looks..

For the colours, I looked at what pots of paint I'd got, and matched the colours to how I thought it should look. I knew I wanted rust to show through, and the nearest colour I'd got was the leather, so I started with that. I also wanted a lighter almost orange tinge, for the rustiest bits, so I dabbed on some of the stone colour.

Then I knew what colour I wanted it to look overall, originally black, but faded, so I picked the dirty black and dark grey together.

To be honest, I didn't plan that the colours would all mix together, it was just happenstance, but I knew from when I weathered the goods shed and the bridge that it would happen a bit.

I'm really pleased with how it's turned out, but really, It's as big a surprise to me as anyone that it's turned out so well.

To quote Simon (bescottbeast)  I'm chuffed! :)

Oh, you asked about the roof.

I've painted it the same as the Goods Shed, a dark grey. It's meant to be slate, although in the photos it doesn't show very well. In reality the definition of the slates is better.

Cheers,

Al

Hello Al,   Really like the scratch building, great stuff, it really is amazing what can be done with a few sheets of plasticard, well done, keep the pictures coming please............

GeorgeT 

• Like 1

Hi mate,

Thank you, I know how good an artist you are - I've seen your backscenes!

I would not have said I had an artistic bone in my body, I did Technical drawing at school, and that's about it.  I can't draw freehand for toffee, but I am good at noticing details, and I try and match what I see.

For instance, for this office, I know what a corrugated building looks like, in terms of where it starts to rust, and what colours you will see, so I cut away bits of the bottom of the sheets, 'cos that's how corrugated iron looks..

For the colours, I looked at what pots of paint I'd got, and matched the colours to how I thought it should look. I knew I wanted rust to show through, and the nearest colour I'd got was the leather, so I started with that. I also wanted a lighter almost orange tinge, for the rustiest bits, so I dabbed on some of the stone colour.

Then I knew what colour I wanted it to look overall, originally black, but faded, so I picked the dirty black and dark grey together.

To be honest, I didn't plan that the colours would all mix together, it was just happenstance, but I knew from when I weathered the goods shed and the bridge that it would happen a bit.

I'm really pleased with how it's turned out, but really, It's as big a surprise to me as anyone that it's turned out so well.

To quote Simon (bescottbeast)  I'm chuffed! :)

Oh, you asked about the roof.

I've painted it the same as the Goods Shed, a dark grey. It's meant to be slate, although in the photos it doesn't show very well. In reality the definition of the slates is better.

Cheers,

Al

Morning Al, I would NOT call myself an artist by any stretch of the imagination but I do enjoy it, I am looking forward to making a physical start on Bute Road, then I will see it all coming together.

Your colour choice is superb mate.

Keep the build pics coming and those final shots of the shed from the low angles is really good, get some ground cover and it will look the Dogs. :O

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 1

Hi Al,

I've just found your thread and only just finished reading from start to finish.  A really interesting build you have here and some great modelling. Very inspiring!!

Keep up with the pictorial updates please... they are great

Cheers

Lee

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Al,   Really like the scratch building, great stuff, it really is amazing what can be done with a few sheets of plasticard, well done, keep the pictures coming please............

GeorgeT 

Hi George, thanks very much. I've been a great admirer of your buildings since I joined RMWeb, and I love the way you sculpt DAS to get your stonework. I'm afraid I wouldn't have the patience for that!

Cheers,

Al

• RMweb Gold

Morning Al, I would NOT call myself an artist by any stretch of the imagination but I do enjoy it, I am looking forward to making a physical start on Bute Road, then I will see it all coming together.

Your colour choice is superb mate.

Keep the build pics coming and those final shots of the shed from the low angles is really good, get some ground cover and it will look the Dogs. :O

Bodgit :sungum:

Hi Andy, thanks. It's beginning to come together now, and I agree, I need to get some scenic stuff done to start joining up the buildings.

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al,

I've just found your thread and only just finished reading from start to finish.  A really interesting build you have here and some great modelling. Very inspiring!!

Keep up with the pictorial updates please... they are great

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

Blimey, you must have had to read through all the waffle at the start of the thread :)

Thanks very much for your interest, I'll try and keep the updates coming.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Quick Update.

I'm not overly happy with the roof of the office building. Looking at the pics I've posted on here, the pitch of the roof is too steep, the height is wrong, and the painting is awful.

I'm therefore going to try and disassemble the building without disturbing the sides (which I am very happy with), and redo the roof.

EDIT: Oh, and the downpipes on the office look like tree trunks as well!

Edited by acg_mr

• RMweb Gold

Just realised, this thread has passed 8,000 views.

Thanks to all who have shown an interest, and who have contributed ideas and advice, I couldn't have done this without you, and it's much appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

This evening I have carried out some major surgery. I'm glad to say that the patient survived the operation, and is making a good recovery.

I decided I was unhappy with the roof of the corrugated office. I felt it was the wrong pitch, and too tall.

So the task was to remove the roof without destroying the rest of the model.

First, here's a reminder of the original roof:

post-17302-0-96061800-1373140487_thumb.jpg

So I started to dismantle it:

post-17302-0-33099800-1373140507_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-58033500-1373140509_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-91370200-1373140511_thumb.jpg

I cut off the original "A" frames, and lowered the peak of the rear gable:

post-17302-0-74873600-1373140513_thumb.jpg

Then I built a new support out of some scrap plasticard:

post-17302-0-39647700-1373140515_thumb.jpg

I cut new roof sections to fit:

post-17302-0-66333900-1373140517_thumb.jpg

and joined them at the peak with some thin 5thou plasticard, leaving a gap between the sections to allow for the bend:

post-17302-0-34913700-1373140519_thumb.jpg

I attached more thin plasticard strips to the triangular front section,

post-17302-0-46744200-1373140532_thumb.jpg

and used them to attach it to the front of the main roof:

post-17302-0-28050000-1373140534_thumb.jpg

Here's the end result:

post-17302-0-25490300-1373140536_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-19106900-1373140538_thumb.jpg

I'm much happier with this now.

I'm going to have a think about how I paint it, as yesterday's attempt looked awful.

More soon,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If it's slates, how about a purpley-dark blue colour? Perhaps with a wash of a greyey colour over the top?

Slates aren't really just slate grey!

If your feeling really fancy you could add some glossy varnish to make it look as though it is raining....... ;-}

Andy g

(editted to add some more rubbish to the post!)

Edited by uax6
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, thanks for the ideas.

Not sure yet, I don't have a lot of blues in my current palette, well, none, in fact.

I think yesterday's attempt looked so bad because I used the paint neat, with no thinning, so it just plastered on and covered up all the detail.

I might do a thinner wash, as I think that's how I did the goods shed.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy, thanks for the ideas.

Not sure yet, I don't have a lot of blues in my current palette, well, none, in fact.

I think yesterday's attempt looked so bad because I used the paint neat, with no thinning, so it just plastered on and covered up all the detail.

I might do a thinner wash, as I think that's how I did the goods shed.

Evening Al.

Funny you know.... you seem to have the same attitude to painting as me. Nowadays, I'll have a go at building anything, but when it comes to the painting....

Have to say, thinner washes - and plenty of them if necessary - are what I've found to work best. Some of my acrylic washes are diluted 1 part paint to 10 parts water. First couple of coats are insipid, but easily corrected if it comes out wrong.

I'm enjoying your scratchbuild - I'll refer to some of this when I get round to my own goods shed.... when???!!

Great thread, very informative. Glad you're a Lunester!!

Jeff

• Like 1