Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, really coming along now, it's always good when you can plonk a building that you have been making down in it's place on the layout. Scalescenes do tarmac sheets and at £1.99 for as many copies as you want and is far cheaper than wet & dry which is a b*gg*r to weather anyway, and you get the roads and pavements too if you want to splash out £3.99.

Do you know, I'd never given Scalescenes a thought. Duh!

Excellent, thanks very much Jonathan, brilliant idea.

Great work on the station structure so far Al,

In response to your comment a little earlier, yes, please do keep posting the 'boring' (not!) step-by-step pix. I think many of us like to see how others do it and what may be 'just the way I do it' to you can be a valuable tip for us (and vice versa). I like the 'production line' approach earlier where you'd pre-cut a whole load of parts ready for assembly (a bit like making your own kit).

Looking forward to seeing more... :good:

Morning Al, Step by Step pics have helped me think seriously about having a go, maybe not this week, but some day, and every picture tells a story.

As for the platform surface, well I have tried many different things, I think that plasticard is the right start. I have painted the surface with blackboard paint and when dry I have given it a light dusting with Talcum Powder for a vairied effect, I.E not monotone.

Lovely dedication to the prototype.

Bodgit

• RMweb Gold

Al it must be a great feeling when you start adding your own scratch built buildings to your layout  :sungum:

Simon

Hi Simon, yes it does feel good, the more I put on the layout the more it begins to look how I want it to.

Unfortunately, it also reminds me of how much there is left to do, particularly wiring and final tracklaying, I really ought to get on with that, but I'm enjoying the buildings at the moment.

• Like 1

• photo-thumb-17302.jpg?_r=1365281227
  • email_open.png user_add.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 279 posts
  • LocationBakewell, Derbyshire

Posted Today, 15:13

Jaz, on 02 Jul 2013 - 13:13, said:snapback.png

We have got the corgi 

Is this a veiled blackmail attempt on the Queen, or did you press the wrong button??

:jester:

• Laugh.jpg Funny x 1
  •  
  • List

Alastair

Layout topic: http://www.rmweb.co....strict-line-br/

I am taking this back to your thread, I think it absolutely appalling that you would consider getting me in trouble with the law regards any missing corgi(s). I also wonder does this break forum rules by referring to any Royal and therefore political references? You must understand that I am completely exonerating myself from any connection with any such corgi(s) - be they Royal, have political leanings or otherwise. And if anyone (police, reporters, M15 etc.) comes around asking about said corgis I shall not hesitate to point out you initiated the reference to blackmail with regards to said missing corgi(s). I did ring my solicitor for advice, but he unfortunately had to point out he has suddenly decided to retire to the country. The country of Australia,.. once he checks out deportation treaties. He mentioned i might wish to consider emigration as well as in going to Hell. I think you should be ashamed of the chain of events you have possibly set in motion. ;p

Finally on the subject of animals Kal has just asked does anyone know why Indian elephants have big ears? 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jaz,

I see you have my mugshot all ready and waiting :)

I apologise for ever considering that you could be capable of such a despicable act, and I will do my best to deny I ever sent the News of the World exclusive pictures of the evidence...

To answer Kal's question, Noddy still hasn't paid the ransom...

EDIT:  Oh, forgot to say, Tell your lawyer I hear Ecuador does very good terms on package deals at the moment...

Edited by acg_mr

• RMweb Gold

What's this? A page without any photos on?

That'll never do, quick, let's do something about it!

Tonight, I built the small waiting room that sits behind the imposing wall that is the Up platform building.

I cut out the main bits from 80thou plasticard, breaking 2 scalpel blades in the process. Note to self, buy a saw!

Here's one end wall cut out, and the other marked:

post-17302-0-85788600-1372802861_thumb.jpg

And here's the kit of parts, just three walls and a support beam:

post-17302-0-42460900-1372802863_thumb.jpg

Here they are leaning against each other as a test fit:

post-17302-0-21240100-1372802865_thumb.jpg

Because I was using such thick plasticard for the shell, there was no way I could cut out the window aperture just using the trusty scalpel, so I resorted to drilling lots of holes round the circumference, and then joining the dots:

post-17302-0-80732100-1372802866_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-41803900-1372802868_thumb.jpg

I then filed the edges straight.

I created the chimney out of the Evergreen square tube I used for the buttresses, but with an extra 80thou piece added on two sides to increase the thickness.

Having glued the structure together, I marked out and cut the Slater's sheet to go round the whole thing:

post-17302-0-16700900-1372802870_thumb.jpg

There's a posh name for this, which completely escapes me... Why did I bother mentioning it then?

Here's the first side stuck on:

post-17302-0-04521100-1372802872_thumb.jpg

I then completely forgot to take any photos of the rest of the steps, sorry.

Basically I waited for each side to dry, and then folded the Slater's sheet round the corner and glued the next side down. I did this both for the main structure, and the chimney.

Here's the end result, after cutting out the window. This will not be stuck to the main structure until later in the build, so it's only temporarily in place in the following photos,

Window end:

post-17302-0-87438600-1372802873_thumb.jpg

Chimney end:

post-17302-0-65454800-1372802875_thumb.jpg

And that's as far as I've got.

One other thing.

I took a scrap piece of Slater's sheet, and painted it using three different colours.

post-17302-0-38967400-1372802860_thumb.jpg

From left to right, they are: 50% Matt White and 50% Matt Sand, mixed, Matt Sand on its own, and the Matt Pale Stone Enamel which we discussed earlier.

Not easy from a single photo, I know, but which looks most like the prototype stone colour?

post-17302-0-60402900-1372803948_thumb.jpg

I'm leaning towards the Pale Stone Enamel, but what do you think?

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 3

I cut out the main bits from 80thou plasticard, breaking 2 scalpel blades in the process. Note to self, buy a saw!

...or a Stanley knife?

I used to hide in shame at the fact that I use a Stanley knife for even the most delicate of cutting operations... until none other than Mr Allan Downes himself (now of this parish) quite cheerfully admitted (on one of his many threads that have sprouted up in recent months) that he'd always used a Stanley knife and had never bothered with scalpels and the like. So now I've come out of the closet and proud to declare myself a serial Stanley knife user :sungum:  (strictly only for modelling you understand!!). I even cut small copper tube with the thing these days - no more cussing getting hacksaw blades jammed halfway through!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As we are coming out of closet, I use one of the snap-off small blade retractable jobs for fine work and a beefy Stanley for anything over 1 mm and for removing brass pieces from frets.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

...or a Stanley knife?

I used to hide in shame at the fact that I use a Stanley knife for even the most delicate of cutting operations... until none other than Mr Allan Downes himself (now of this parish) quite cheerfully admitted (on one of his many threads that have sprouted up in recent months) that he'd always used a Stanley knife and had never bothered with scalpels and the like. So now I've come out of the closet and proud to declare myself a serial Stanley knife user :sungum:  (strictly only for modelling you understand!!). I even cut small copper tube with the thing these days - no more cussing getting hacksaw blades jammed halfway through!

As we are coming out of closet, I use one of the snap-off small blade retractable jobs for fine work and a beefy Stanley for anything over 1 mm and for removing brass pieces from frets.

Ah, you see, this is where I've been going wrong, trying to be all delicate and posh and use a scalpel. Right, that's it, from now on, it'll be a Stanley for thicker stuff and the butter knife for 10thou :D

I did find, actually, that for repetitive cutting of strips in 20thou and 30thou, as I had to do for the front of the station, a paper guillotine works well - that's a guillotine for paper, not made of paper - I borrowed my dad's out of his office - it's the sort with a big blade, not a rolling cutter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Simon and Andy, it's coming on a treat.

Right then, first of all, here's a quiz:

What are these the bits for?

post-17302-0-74261900-1372907522_thumb.jpg

No? Ah well, we'll see in a bit.

Tonight, I've completed the Up station building to the point of being ready to paint.

I've added all the detail fiddly bits, and here's where we are:

post-17302-0-92415400-1372907524_thumb.jpg

Here's one of the fiddly bits:

post-17302-0-61604800-1372907526_thumb.jpg

Is it called a cornice? I don't know, I'm not up on these architectural terms, whatever, it's the big lump of decorative stone on the corner.

So the main building has now had it's first coat of Matt Pale Stone Enamel, which is now drying, and I'll take some pics later.

As part of the fiddly bits, I decided to decorate the interior of the waiting room, as it will be visible through the largish window at the front, and at the side.

Here's a view through the door:

post-17302-0-09688500-1372907528_thumb.jpg

and here's a view through the side window:

post-17302-0-66582200-1372907529_thumb.jpg

But hang on, what's that in the corner?

Ah, well I decided to provide some warmth for the occupants of the room, so I've built them a fireplace.

That's what the funny shaped bits were for, at the start of this post..

Here's a shot of it with the station building out of the way:

post-17302-0-13530500-1372907531_thumb.jpg

The room is bare at the moment, as I'm not sure what the furnishings would be like. Would it just be wooden settles round the walls?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

More soon, when the paint is dry.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That's really kind of you Simon, thank you.

These close-up shots don't half bring out the bits I've made a mess of though...

I promised photos of the painted structure, but, 8 hours later, it still isn't dry :dontknow:

• RMweb Gold

And two hours later, the paint still isn't properly dry :wild:

It's still tacky to the touch, however, it's dry enough to photograph, so here we are:

post-17302-0-83548300-1372938172_thumb.jpg

Just like the real thing, it's amazing how it changes colour depending on the light. This first photo makes it look much darker than it actually is.

So, I moved it to the kitchen worktop, where there is more direct daylight, and this is the result:

post-17302-0-38737000-1372938175_thumb.jpg

That's much more like i think it looks.

Here's another shot, in the same light, but at an angle:

post-17302-0-61842600-1372938177_thumb.jpg

At the moment, this Matt paint isn't looking very matt :nono:

Compared to the Acrylics I usually use, it's quite shiny, and totally unsuitable for a stone surface. I can only hope that it goes more matt when it fully dries, or that I can flatten it down when I weather it.

Also, as Classsix T warned, it has a definite pink tinge in some lights, which didn't show up on the test piece I did. Again, I'm hoping that as I add paint detail and weathering, that becomes less noticeable.

I had planned to start weathering this afternoon, but it looks like I'll have to leave it and do something else.

More soon

Al

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just as an addendum to the previous post, here's a shot of the original test piece I did, with it's weathering, compared to the current stone colour:

post-17302-0-51902700-1372941589_thumb.jpg

It is, much, much paler, and more like the prototype, so all in all, I'm happy with that as a base coat.

PS:  It's still not dry!

Al

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stanley knives, ha. Northern softies.

http://definemodellers.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/mikes-chisel.jpg

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I wait for the enamel to dry, I've caught up on some other jobs which needed doing.

So here's another quiz for you, what do these bits make?

post-17302-0-31259300-1372947802_thumb.jpg

Ha, that'll confuse you!

So, for something to do, I've revisited the goods shed. When I built it originally, I did not do any interior wall detail, it was just blank, black, plastic. This has bugged me, as everytime I see it on the layout it's the first thing I notice.

From pictures of the prototype, the interior stone is different to the large dressed stone blocks that make up the outside, and I took a while to decide which of the available embossed plasticard products looked right for the job.

I eventually settled on Slater's 4mm Stone Courses (no.419), and so I ordered some.

Here's what the interior of the goods shed looked like before I started:

post-17302-0-48522300-1372947804_thumb.jpg

and here's the Slater's sheet cut to size:

post-17302-0-18456100-1372947807_thumb.jpg

As you can see, there is no thickness to the wall of the shed as it stands, so I needed to give it some appearance of depth. Here's where the quiz comes in :)

I took some scrap pieces of 80thou plasticard (the same stuff the shed was built from) and some Evergreen 4mm H beam strip.

When glued together, they form a support of the right thickness to stick the new interior wall to:

post-17302-0-90471700-1372947808_thumb.jpg

Here it is in position:

post-17302-0-66558900-1372947810_thumb.jpg

I'm now going to go into some detail as to how I painted and weathered the wall. This is a technique I've made up myself over the past few months, (don't forget, I'm still a near novice at this scratch-building lark), which seems to work well for me.

So we start with the piece of embossed plasticard, and give it a base coat of whichever colour you want. I've used Matt Sand here to match the original goods shed paint:

post-17302-0-57084400-1372947813_thumb.jpg

In this particular instance, to match the prototype, the interior walls were originally limewashed, as there are no windows in the shed, so it must have been very dark.

When the base coat was dry, therefore, I then went over it with Matt White, not attempting to make a proper coat, but just spreading it round with a nearly dry brush, to give the effect of the limewash. Here's the result:

post-17302-0-49101600-1372948473_thumb.jpg

Just think, back in the early 1900's, some poor sod had to do that to the real thing... It's a BIG wall!

And then what happens? Nobody touches it for the next half century  or so, and all the soot, muck and so on builds up until you can hardly see it was ever done!

So guess what I did next?

post-17302-0-54243400-1372948476_thumb.jpg

This effect was achieved by making a very dilute wash of Matt Olive Green acrylic, and painting a broad stripe with a full brush across the top of the sheet, so there's really a lot of the paint mix at the top. Then, I stood the sheet up as it would be in use, and let the paint mixture find it's own way down the stone courses to the bottom. Whilst that is still wet, I added some Dark Grey to the wash, and then some Dirty Black (only a small amount) and did the same again, loading the top of the sheet whilst it's flat, and then standing it up.

Here's the tools:

post-17302-0-31865900-1372948479_thumb.jpg

And here's a closer view of the result:

post-17302-0-19093900-1372948482_thumb.jpg

I think it's turned out quite well.

Finally, here's a shot of the wall mounted in the shed:

post-17302-0-48533900-1372948484_thumb.jpg

and a typical view of the finished article through the shed door:

post-17302-0-31361800-1372948486_thumb.jpg

That's another job ticked off.

This evening, I might have a go at the lean-too corrugated office which was attached to the goods shed.

Or, if the station is dry, I might start weathering it.

Cheers,

Al

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Outstanding work Al. The Goods shed really looks the business.

Is the layout portable, I could spend a lot of time watching this at an exhibition!

C6T.

Hi C6T, thanks very much.

Unfortunately, the layout is fairly solidly built in my cellar, and to get it up the stairs and out would be impossible.

I will do my best to keep taking photos and maybe when it's running, some video as well, if people want to see it.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow! There is some stunning craftwork on here, really showing what can be done. Very impressive and hugly informative!

With regards to cutting tools, I'll stake my preference for the Swann Morton knife and No 1 blades. They are better than your scalpel as the blade is supported all the way along (on both sides, as the blade slides inside the handle) leaving only a very short length sticking out (how do you cope with that blade wobbling all over the place??). The handle is also quite short, it sits between my thumb and forefinger and doesn't quite reach to the palm of my hand, making it a lovely tool to use. My modelling has been much more succesful since I changed to these knives... (also the great David Jenkinson used them, so the must be pretty good!)

Andy G