eBay Seller selling images from Flickr

lucazone

Hiya,

For anyone interested, I was kindly informed on Flickr that someone was selling copies of my railway photography on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/thrashmachine37/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Upon investigation I found 3 images of mine were being sold as 6x4 prints. I therefore suspect that the majority of the images on sale for 80p are in fact taken from Flickr, though clearly I can only prove the 3 that are mine (to prove my ownership of the images, I have placed both mine as the one on sale into Photoshop and overlaid them. They match identically in position, colour and framing. Even if someone had taken a shot of the same train in the same location, the images would differ is some way, even if it was tiny).

I suggest people check out his offerings so we may track down who owns the images.

Kind Regards

Thanks, unsurprisingly viewing the content, none of mine, but one reason why I put up with upsetting people by having watermarks and copyright info on my site.

Paul Bartlett

Watermarks won't bother most genuine people - I've seen a picture I wanted to see more detail in, with a watermark on it. I emailed the copyright owner and asked nicely if I could have a copy of the original picture for personal use only, he was more than happy to oblige once I explained why I wanted the pic and he emailed me the hi-res pic straight away.

Honesty and politeness from both parties means watermarking pictures should be the norm. Shame people see the chance to make a quick ££, hopefully the seller will be dealt with in the harshest possible way.

I remember the pictures of the Rover factory being splashed all over the papers, and the person who took those pictures at great personal risk not even getting a mention or thanks!! He now watermarks every picture, thanks to others ripping off his work.

Mark

Strange - but at least someone seems to have alerted another Flickr user.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37271_37418/8204193094/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/class-56-n0-56302-in-colas-rail-night-shot-/390505618618?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item5aebf2dcba

http://www.flickr.com/photos/transrail/8139690083/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/class57-no-57312-in-network-rail-/390506352278?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item5aebfe0e96

Note the large amounts of blank space on the listings.

I've posted a question to the seller on the 56302 listing. Here's the response:

Listen I will tell u like I've told the others it's been tooke by me with my own camera one person has started all this I know who it is I don't need to sell other people's photos I take my own and can prove they are mine

Make of that what you will!

• RMweb Gold

I stuck my nose in too, after a couple of tos and fros this was the final reply:

'I can assure u of this it's my photograph I'm removing my photos of eBay and sending them to eBay to verify they have come from my camera I travell all over the place and when a few is on station going to be very simaller shots to each other'

I'm sure ebay will sit there and go through all his train snaps. No wonder no-one else can get hold of them to sort out little things if they're sat there looking at sheds. ;)

If it's served to get him to remove everything he has 'borrowed' then fair play to those who've taken the trouble to contact him.

• RMweb Gold

I would have thought that the simple solution is for one of the rightly-aggrieved copyright-owners to buy one of their own pics. This will give them access to the seller's personal details - address etc - and they can then drop him a line outwith the ebay obfuscation, and if that doesn't work, threaten to instruct a lawyer? Or just send the boys round?

If they are all his pictures that he has taken on his own camera, I'm surprised he can remember to put all the details on Flickr of where and when the pic was taken. I mean, he has 3 or 4 Flickr accounts that he posts 'his pictures' on so he must have trouble remembering his login details.

Or he's using pics from 3 or 4 Flickr members who haven't set the privacy settings correctly, so allowing him to save them as his own!!

And in the space of a month or so he appears to have upgraded his kit from a 450D to a CoolpixL310, then a 60D, before using a D90.

This photo was taken on October 24, 2012 in Northampton, England, GB, using a Canon EOS 450D.

This photo was taken on October 29, 2012 in Tonbridge, England, GB, using a Nikon Coolpix L310.

This photo was taken on November 14, 2012 using a Canon EOS 60D.

This photo was taken on November 20, 2012 using a Nikon D90.

Shifting prints on eBay must be rather profitable if he can afford four different cameras in four weeks....

No, he must have been standing next to lots of different people who were using different cameras - six at the latest count.

Geoff Endacott

It's the almost telepathic selection of a moderate telephone for the shot at Tunbridge Wells(?), mild tele compression for 86701, a moderate wide angle of the HST at Paddington and what appears to be a starburst filter effect on the class 20 night shot.

Quite uncanny, and I almost feel sorry for the poor chap. After all, he must have travelled far and wide in pursuit of these great pictures, only to find all these plagarists posting copies of HIS pictures of Flickr and passing off as their own. .

Erm.

• RMweb Premium

Hmm, this was his response to me...

I live 10 mile from York I tooke 47843 and 20305 at the same time on a Friday evining at York I cannot help if it's a simmaler shot to yours which I don't know I take alot at York a certain person is causing me alot of trouble at the moment and the photos have been uploaded to prove they have been taken by my camera

- thrashmachine37

Reply in your email program or through My Messages s.gif

To: thrashmachine37

Subject: Other: sent a message about class 20 n0 20305 in compass night shot #390505616131

Sent Date: 03-Dec-12 19:47:31 GMT

Dear thrashmachine37,

This appears to be identical to this image on Flickr. 20305 York 14/11/12

Do you own the copyright to both?

Archived