The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Paypal security

simon hudson

I recieved an email from paypal a few weeks ago saying I had been randomly chosen to update my records, and my account had some limitations imposed.When I signed in I was asked to give my full credit card number and then my bank account number I let it lie, and have had another email today saying I should update my account.I have no reason to suspect it is a dodgy site. I log in in the usual way the little padlock symbol is there in the address bar etc. I don't want to give any info out or possibly compromise my security unless it is really neccessary so any advice on similar mails would be appreciated-Simon

I had a similar thing very recently, I had to provide proof of address and photo ID because my PayPal account was limited. I emailed PayPal from their official site to ask about this and they confirmed that they do ask for this information and it was all legit. I sent E-copies of the info direct from their website, my account was unblocked within 3 days.

Mark

I would have EVERY reason to suspect it was a dodgy site. log in to Paypal by typing the URL into your browser and then sign in. NEVER ever follow a link on an email.

Paypal will not ask you for random updates. Get onto your bank and tell them what you have done and get take some professional advice on how much of a risk you are at.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

It's almost certainly a scam. You should delete all emails claiming to be from PayPal on sight, genuine or not, and never ever click any of the links they contain. If it is genuine, PayPal will tell you what they want from you when you log in normally on their web site.

PayPal do occasionally send emails, but they will always begin "Dear Simon Hudson" with your real name.

If it begins "Dear PayPal User" or some such it is cast iron certain to be a scam.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Ebay may require you to provide proof of address and ID if they detect what they consider suspicious events in your account. This happened to me some time ago, and may be what Angry Meerkat went through.

However, it sounds odd to me that you have "been randomly chosen to update my records". Why would they do that randomly? Anyway, if it turns out to be true it would be interesting to hear about it.

...It's almost certainly a scam. You should delete all emails claiming to be from PayPal on sight, genuine or not, and never ever click any of the links they contain. If it is genuine, PayPal will tell you what they want from you when you log in normally on their web site.

PayPal do occasionally send emails, but they will always begin "Dear Simon Hudson" with your real name.

If it begins "Dear PayPal User" or some such it is cast iron certain to be a scam.

Martin is right, just bin any email purporting to come from PayPal. There have been several moderately well crafted email scams that claim to be from PayPal in circulation for some time. As he says, if they want to tell you anything, they'll do it when you log in.

Nick

The original email basically read

at PayPal we routinely randomly choose an account that has to be verified we do this for security reasons

When I logged in, my account had limitations on it. I couldn't even get into history it was locked. The second email today asked me to log in as usual and change my password for security and and to check my account for spurious activity.

I have now just logged into PayPal and done as requested changed password and verified my card details got an automated call from PayPal my account is now unlocked.

I will however be keeping a close watch over the next few days weeks and be informing my Bank of what has happened.

I just hope I don't get ripped no doubt I will inform you if I do many thanks for replies -Simon

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear. Sounds like it was the dreaded "We routinely review account activity in the PayPal system" message. This is genuine. The system automatically reviews accounts and will automatically disable the account until you have responded and been proven to be a good little boy. I sold a number of items some time ago and apparently triggered a "possible money laundering" alert :-)

Simon,

I had a similar email sometime ago and as I always do when receiving paypal emails I'm not sure about I forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com , they replied within 24hours (which they don't normally do on dodgy emails) informing me it was a genuine email from them and to procede with the instructions. Hope this settles your mind.

Kev

Simon

I think that they are required under anti money laundering rules to make additional identity checks certainly once you have sold a few items, also they are giving information to HM Revenue on sales activity of regular sellers. I would guess that one of the above has been triggered. Random check soulds better that gathering information for one of the above reasons.

I think I had one of these requests a while ago. I logged it soon after giving the info and changed my password. If in doubt phone Paypal

The email was definately addressed correctly to me Ie my full name etc and I definately logged into PayPal with a url add and I'mm 99.9% certain it was the genuine PayPal site

Sounds like you are OK. The important thing to do is NEVER follow a link from an email, type www.paypal.com into your browser and log in there. Once in Paypal will ask you to complete any necessary security hoopla.

I had a similar email a few weeks ago, ignored it then couldn't pay for an eBay item. Had binned the email so logged into paypal the usual way via the website and they had limited my account until I filled in the required info.

So they do happen and are legit, but i'd still access the website the usual way and not from any links in emails.

• RMweb Premium

Had one for my old a/c yesterday - that goes to my server, and I read it in plain text.

None of this "always hide all the headers, and where links go to" that graphical mail

clients are so fond of doing.

With _all_ headers displayed-

First line:

From www-data@forum1.p.[remainder suppressed - it's a web forum,

some of it is probably good, but it either got spoofed or hacked]

and later

dead giveaway, as well as all the paypal graphic images coming from

thaitennis

Always be on your guard.

ken

There is certainly a lot of PayPal activity concerning 'potential money laundering'.

Payments being held before transfer to bank account etc.

Most people I know with accounts have been experiencing this.

In my cynical way, I wonder what advantage accrues from holding onto your money for an extra day or two.

The daily turnover must be vast.

I recently had a email to say that I have over A$200 waiting for me to claim via paypal from an item I sold recently. Thing is I haven't sold anything for a couple of months and all were paid for.

Mark in OZ

I have used Paypal every week for years and never had any emails like the ones above .i did get scammed once by someone taking 400 quid from my account .They were in the US, but PP notified me very quickly before I even knew about it and it was all solved in minutes .

• RMweb Premium

I've had two saying restrictions put on the account. Started with Dear......... (no name in space).

The last one had reams of rubbish stuff at the foot of the email; sort of programmers gobblydegook. Forwarded/sent both to spoof@paypal.com

Load of cobblers I think so beware.

P

In my cynical way, I wonder what advantage accrues from holding onto your money for an extra day or two.

The daily turnover must be vast.

As anyone in big business will tell you holding up the payment process can reap £000,'s in interest (or saving on interest paid) as they use the bank of you and me for their cash flow. When everything is automated actioning a delay costs nothing in administration but every penny reaped helps their bottom line.

I'm inclined to agree with hayfield above. It is part of the money laundering clamp down by HMRC and the draconian legislation. With possibly millions passing through their bank (Paypal is a bank) even relatively small sums can soon become suspicious. It doesn't take many locos sold for it to look like trading at which point HMRC are probably in to the tune of fines and possible tax evasion (that's the illegal bit).

Archived