Hi Duncan, I find that a read through some old mags from a year or so ago can sometimes help, although with me it normally sends me down a different route and I rip up what I have already done :nono:

Your Mojo will return, and you will wonder why you lost it.

P.S. Have a look in the cupboard, it may be lurking in there somewhere :no: :no: :no: :no: hahahaaahheheeeeee

Bodgit :sungum:

2 EDITS, 2 SPOILING MISCACKES

Morning Andy

So far I have had a look in several cupboards and the loft. I realy don't know where I've lost it.

I've also had a read of some old modelling mags. This has given me another excuse to plan for a future layout when thee money returns. Probably same region just totaly different era.

I am off to a model rail show today, so that may be where I'll find it again.

Duncan

Well, this weekend has been great for me. Going to the EBMRS and having a chat with Ray Norwood of Yard Shunter seems to have re-kindled my modelling mojo. :sungum:

I'm also going to see East Beds MRS tomorrow for their club night.

There won't be any updates untill later on in the week due to other commitments. :O

Looking forward to posting the updates.

Duncan

Well, the modelling mojo is still there. :sungum:

I've spent the last couple of days making improvements to details that I wasn't happy with. They are also bits that won't even be seen but I need to make sure that they're right.

This evening has been frustrating though. I found some plastic that was ideal for the windows. The only problem is that I can't get the styrene strip to stick to it using Mek-Pak. :banghead:

Answers on a postcard please

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Have a look in my step by step guide for the type I use (downstairs at the moment and don't want to wake Sofia by going to the attic to check), but I use a thin, clear superglue. I put a drop of glue on an old scrap of Plastikard and then with a cocktail stick, wipe a tiny amount on the back of the Microstrip. This is then positioned on the glazing and with a craft knife, gently pushed down and trimmed off. You sometimes get a bit of misting but that can be wiped off with a cotton bud.

I used Mek-Pak for the station canopy glazing bars (all 4,000 of them) and had problems with them coming unstuck and sometimes smearing. Wish I had known how much better superglue was for the task back then!

I think part of the problem may be that the clear Plastikard is made from a slightly different type of plastic that doesn't accept Mek/Pak as readily. Butanone may work better, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks Jason

I've read your step by step guide numerous times and somehow I have missed that you used superglue for the glazing strips.

I'll be getting some more in a while and post the results later.

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

For windows, in the past I have used the plastic 'blister' packaging that the wills kits come in.

Sand sides technique works well for fitting glazing bars, to help here I've found that if you clean the clear plastic first in warm water and washing up liquid it clears the grease off, this is what goes misty from the cyanoacrylate fumes in the superglue. Try not to touch the cleaned plastic with your fingers, otherwise the cyano fumes may react with the grease in your fingerprints and leave evidence as to the identity of the builder!

Hope things work out on the job front.

Al

Jason and Al

Thanks for your input. It's been realy useful.

I have cheated and tried the window out on a building for the kids layout. :jester:  I don't think it's too bad for a first attempt. I've also made my first door.

post-6953-0-73832100-1362314651_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-07861800-1362314702.jpg

I did also manage to glue my fingers together at one point as well :banghead:

As usual, any feedback, comments or ideas, positive or nagative would be gratefuly appreciated.

Duncan

Thanks Jason. Once I managed to find a way to hold the small pieces I found it fairly easy.

When I'd finished the window I started looking at the office / stores facing wall that I'd built with the prospect of puting in the windows. But I found some significant errors, one of them being that the door to the stores office was only 2' 6". Oooops!!!!!

I've just finished marking out a new wall and am just about to start cutting the openings. I'm taking it slowly to get the darn thing right. Hopefuly I'll get it all cut, filed any rough surfaces and got the brick facing on before I go to bed.

Duncan

Hi Duncan, that is a nice job, I thought that sticking fingers together was in the instructions as I always do that as well.

That really is a neat finnish, what did you use for the door knob mate?

Andy 

Cheers Andy. I think we have both misread the instructions. Apparently it says don't stick your fingers together :jester:

I used a dressmakers pin for the door knob, something I found on one of Jasons posts and I'm impressed with how it looks

Duncan

Cheers Andy. I think we have both misread the instructions. Apparently it says don't stick your fingers together :jester:

I used a dressmakers pin for the door knob, something I found on one of Jasons posts and I'm impressed with how it looks

Duncan

Don't try and open the door from inside then, if you do :no:  READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST :O it says MIND THE PIN :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Morning Duncan,  Trial and error, is the only way we learn, with windows why dont you draw them out in 'PAINT' on your computer, then shirk them down and print them out on sticky back paper, then apply them to whatever clear plastic you have, then cut out the panes one by one, then you will have a perfect window with no mess, and no fingers that are stuck, just an idea...

George.. 

Well, I've finished building the water tower for the kids layout as a way for me to improve my building techniques. But, seeing how it's turned out, it may end up somewhere on Oxted Park.

Obviously still needs painting which I'll do tomorrow if the weather behaves and weathering.

post-6953-0-83226700-1362422339_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andy. My building skills are constantly improving with practice.

I supose the message to anyone who hasn't tried scratch building is give it a go. If it doesn't work first time, don't give up.

Credit for me having a go with the buildings has to go to Sandside, George T and Andy P

Duncan

Here's a question. At TMD's in 1990, what colour were the roller doors leading to the stores area and were there any safety markings?

The reason I ask is, none of the photos I've found (so far) either don't show any or the ones that do are normaly mostly hidden by a loco or rolling stock.

Duncan

Had a total disaster last night.

I'd prepared the base styrene for the face of the office / stores part of the depot and was in the process of folding up and gluing the embossed brick around the window and door uprights when I knocked over the Mek-Pak, all over the piece of work and cutting mat. The mat is OK but the building side is ruined. :O  :O  :O .

Must remember not to try to do too much at the same time.

Now I've calmed down, I can look at doing it again but not today. Too much to do during the day then off to the club tonight.

Duncan

Archived