Billy

For any structure I prefer the old fashioned method, pencil, paper and ruler. It means I get a viable sense of proportion and can check full scale paper versions against the layout to ensure I don't c**k it up.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Duncan,

Thanks for the point-rodding photos you posted in Andy's thread. I'm looking well ahead here, but I may just pay some kind of simplistic "lip-service".... Looking at the level of detail on that club layout made me wince!

Jeff

The concept of 2mm ply and embossed plasicard works. For using both of their techniques I have to acknowledge George of "Abbots Mead" and Jason of "Bacup". :thankyou:

However, I'm not posting any photos tonight as I've made a couple of errors when cutting and have done a very good impression of George and thrown part of it away to start again. :angry:  :angry:

So I have taken the sensible option (for a change) and walked away from it for the rest of today.

Duncan

Billy

For any structure I prefer the old fashioned method, pencil, paper and ruler. It means I get a viable sense of proportion and can check full scale paper versions against the layout to ensure I don't c**k it up.

Duncan

pen, paper, ruler, thats another 3 things to lose / miss-lay as well as all my other modelling stuff  :no:

Thanks Andy.

I've three issues at the moment.

1. Concentrationg on modelling while fighting to find a new job

2. Trying not to build the control panel - this would mean that NO modelling was done as I'd spend too much time playing testing the track and locos

3. Having to do modelling for the kids layout. (If they had their way it would have been finished before it was started.

Duncan

Hi Duncan

Sounds as if you have your hands full there with all those issues and trying to resolve them all at once, I tried that once and failed miserably and ended up achieving very little and even that I wasn't happy with. Iv'e learned to take life much easier since then though.

I wish you all the best in the above tasks especially the first, as for the modelling it has taken me 30 years to get as far as Iv'e got, maybe I take life to easy, Hmmmm.

Jim

Progress is slow but steady on the depot building.

The Depot Front - Still requires a fair bit of work windows and doors fitted and the roller shutters fitted.

post-6953-0-79717200-1360779435_thumb.jpg

I've also started the stores and engineers building that will be attached to the side of the depot.

The stores office is completed apart from furniture. This has to be done now as it will be very difficult to complete once the wall is on.

post-6953-0-54155800-1360779557_thumb.jpg

A view with the face of the building propped roughly where it will be.

post-6953-0-53006300-1360779658_thumb.jpg

And finally a view of the stores area.

post-6953-0-11163000-1360779694_thumb.jpg

I'm not going to attach the wall until the stores office is complete, the windows and doors are fitted and the cover for the roller shutter is in place.

Obviously the whole lot is going to need weathering.

As usual, any feedback, comments or ideas, positive or nagative would be gratefuly appreciated.

Jason

I'm hoping that it will be better than an RTP one. It's a big learning curve for me. My one big issue at the moment is finding suitable clear plastic for the depot end window. It's one thing I don't have and with the size of it I want to do it in one piece.

As I have mentioned in an earlier post, I'm also tackling an OCA. I seem to spend more time looking at photos to position all the small details rather than completing it as the instructions arn't particularly clear.

Although I want to avoid as much RTR stock as I can, I don't know whether I will do another Cambrian kit.

Duncan

Looking good!

If you want a nice cheap sorce of great plastic for glazing keep an eye on what you buy from shops. The plastic blister packs are a great source of glazing plastic, it is thick enough to hold itself upright yet flexiable enough to form curves. Best thing of all its free with what you have bought!

Cheers

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Thing is, Cambrian kits may be a little 'involving' but when you have finished it, you'll be chuffed to bits. I've made a few Catfish and Dogfish kits of theirs (and in my opinion, the finished items look far better than the Heljan ones) and agree that there are times when you just want to throw the things out of the window but it's like anything in this game, patience patience and more patience is the key to good results :)

As for clear Plastikard: https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/colouredPlastikard.php

Matt

Many thanks for that. I have been looking at the things I've been buying for just that reason. The only problem so far is finding something that is flat and 16 x 5 cm.

Oh well, I'll just have to keep going.

Duncan

Jason

The approach I'm taking with the OCA kit is to walk away when it either doesn't feel right or I know it's going to go wrong. At least it stops me throwing it against a wall.

As for the plasticard, I've used slaters before and had a brilliant service. At the moment funds are the problem so I'm having to improvise a little.

The stuff I'm using at the moment is what I ordered before the employment front went decidedly south.

Duncan

Andy

I don't know if it's bravery or stupidity. It's my first venture into these kits, maybe I should have found something easier.

But then again, how do you learn without a challenge in life.

Duncan

Hi

I don't know why it has happened, but for some reason I haven't got that modelling mojo today. :scratchhead:

Everything I look at to finish sends my mind blank.

Obviously I need to walk away from it for the rest of the day.

Duncan

Duncan

You sometimes just get days like that, its strange but this morning I wasn't really looking forward to today's tasks but once I started it all changed, I didn't do exactly what I planned but ended up having a quite successful day.

Its a funny old game  :scratchhead:

Archived