• RMweb Premium

Hi Duncan. Time to return the compliment and visit your thread - you mentioned "Oxted Park" on KL yesterday.

This looks like a good project. Don't give up on the wiring - you can beat it! I expect a post later this evening confirming the job's been done - unless "The Management" has stepped in!

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff

Unfortunately, with the change of circumstances as mentioned in post 22, there is now no management.

Got a few things to deal with first, but, will be going back to it later.

Duncan

Ok

A productive day. Three point motors fitted, only five more to go.

I decided to have a break from point motors so I started looking at vehicles and found this. A Bedford TK.

post-6953-0-83626200-1358811730.png

So I had a look in my box of modelling bits and found an unmade but badly painted Bedford MK.

post-6953-0-56526600-1358811869.jpg post-6953-0-89268700-1358811894_thumb.jpg

I remembered reading that Dettol is good at stripping paint so I gave it a go. This is the result.

post-6953-0-13125900-1358812242_thumb.jpg

So far I have removed the winch, front bumper and the tool bins from the chassis.

post-6953-0-13910500-1358812584_thumb.jpg

This is now going to be a representation of a British Rail Bedford TK. I don't know how it is going to turn out, but, if it's good enough it will end up on Oxted Park.

As usual, any feedback, comments or ideas, positive or nagative would be gratefuly appreciated.

Most of the military MK cab is the same as the TK (same basic metal pressing, etc.) but the wheelarches are narrower and, as your photo shows, the headlights are mounted conventionally. As the kit is plastic, the differences shouldn't be too hard to accomodate. The BR version won't be 4WD either, of course!

An update

I've got the point motors fitted and tested. I still need to complete all the baseboard wiring and manufacture the switch / mimic panel.

However, I haven't been taking it too easy.

I've started to modify the Bedford MK truck.

Winch detail removed from the chassis

post-6953-0-09777500-1359405639_thumb.jpg

The cab body has had details removed , the cab lowered and the mud guards reduced to a more appropriate size.

post-6953-0-02132200-1359405779_thumb.jpg

I've also started modifying the loadbed sides.

post-6953-0-35968100-1359405835_thumb.jpg

I've also started to do a bit of scratch building.

post-6953-0-26520400-1359405909_thumb.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet?

As usual, any feedback, comments or ideas, positive or nagative would be gratefuly appreciated.

I've managed to get time to do a little more tonight. A base colour has been added to pick out the mortar.

post-6953-0-59425500-1359417979_thumb.jpg

I've also experimented on a piece of scrap card to get the brick colour I wanted. This will have to be done during the day.

Hmmmm.

I went to finish off the fuel storage tanks tonightand found that for some reason I have NO plastic rod for the pipes :O  :help:  :cry: . It also doesn't help that the only place that I can get it without an hours drive isn't open till thursday.

Two thoughts came to  mind for this situation. The 7 P's and NEVER 'ASS U ME'

So, no real progress today.

• RMweb Premium

So is that what your structure is - a base for 2 large diesel tanks for an MPD/fuelling depot?

Don't worry about doing everything yesterday - the more you do, the more people want! Just had this discussion on KL.

Look forward to seeing the next stages my Lunester friend!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I went to finish off the fuel storage tanks tonightand found that for some reason I have NO plastic rod for the

Have you got any of the sprues from kits lying around? That's what I used to form the pipework around my tanks with some foil tape wrapped around to simulate the joints etc before it was all painted.

Ian

I think the words brain and neutral need to be used here. For some reason, although I have used this before (too many years ago to mention) it hadn't even crossed my mind.

As Homer Simpson would say 'DOH'

Duncan - Yet another Lunester

Michael

Thanks for that . Yes I do follow Bacup and have used some of his construction ideas for my first scratch build attempt, although slightly modified.

There have been two previous attempts at the fuel bund using other techniques but they  either didn't work as I wanted or didn't produce the result I was after. :banghead:

For the depot itself, I'll be using 2mm ply and detailing it using embossed plasticard. This is based on an idea from George T of Abbots Mead fame. George uses the ply and then Das Clay.

The one thing I really like about this forum is the very open way most people share information about techniques used.

As I've said, this is my first attempt at scratch building and it's a case of finding out what works for me.

You never know, I might even use some of the ideas from Leeds South or Faux Matlon if it fits with the area I'm attempting to model and works for me.

Duncan

Duncan

My first visit to your thread arrived her via the Lunester tag. The lunester gang are a great help

The plan looks very good & your progress is going well, some nice work there on the military lorry & fuel bund. Another thread to follow, will return soon. 

Some of you might have thought that I'd been taking it easy on the modelling front. Well, I haven't, but modifying the truck model to represent a BR one has taken at lot longer than I'd planned for.

I had to modify the front axle and chassis to change it from 4 to 2 wheel drive, remove some more of the military fitments from the chassis and fill in the area of loadbed that was for the military squareish rear mudguards.

post-6953-0-45309000-1359801447_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-78403900-1359801473_thumb.jpg

I also had to remove the moulded canvas canopy from all the side panels, remove the canopy rope sheeting detailing from the side panels and build the loadbed cab protection. I've also given the inside of the cab the first bit of paint.

A few very cruel photos of the work.

post-6953-0-48705800-1359801697_thumb.jpg post-6953-0-17988400-1359801747_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-28237000-1359801711_thumb.jpg post-6953-0-55022000-1359801771_thumb.jpg

I'm not too concerned about the damage to the rear and side loadbed sides as these were quite damaged when in use.

Still got to make the rounded rear mudguards, make the rear safety bar and make a front bumper.

Right

The reason I've started modelling things other than the layout is this. I need some help.

The layout design is for a depot about 18 inches long (I don't do well with new money). The problem I have is that I am having problems designing it.   :banghead:

I've looked at hundreds of photos but I'm having a complete inspirational mind blank. :scratchhead:

I know I want it to be tall enough so that I can scratch build a believable internal depot crane and I want to detail it to a reasonably good standard.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

The truck is 'parked' at present and I am going to start a Cambrian OCA kit so that I can paint them both at the same time.

Duncan

I've had a long look at the OCA kit as it's the first Cambrian kit I've built.

It took a while to work out exactly how it should go together especially with the quality of the instructions. :scratchhead:

However, before I go any further, I have one question. Using the Gibson wheels, am I going to create a short across the rails? :dontknow:

If anyone knows the answer, please let me know.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Right

The reason I've started modelling things other than the layout is this. I need some help.

The layout design is for a depot about 18 inches long (I don't do well with new money). The problem I have is that I am having problems designing it.   :banghead:

I've looked at hundreds of photos but I'm having a complete inspirational mind blank. :scratchhead:

I know I want it to be tall enough so that I can scratch build a believable internal depot crane and I want to detail it to a reasonably good standard.

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

The truck is 'parked' at present and I am going to start a Cambrian OCA kit so that I can paint them both at the same time.

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I've just replied to your post on KL.

I've no knowledge of depot arrangements, but there must be plenty on here who do have.

Go onto the Home page - go to the section "Skills and Knowledge Centre". If you go into "Layout and Track Design", post a question regarding Depots and you'll probably get quite a response. Meanwhile, scan through the entries there - there may well be one that's relevant to you!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Duncan,

The Gibson wheels will be isolated so no danger of shorting. As for single road depot buildings, have a look at Orchard Road TMD bt Mudmagnet for a very nice example of one.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12930-orchard-road-tmd-br-blue/page-1

Cheers,

Jason.

Hi Jason

Thanks for the reply.

The question about the wheels was one that crossed my mind as I was checking that I had everything to hand before I started.

As for the shed, unfortunately I've got two roads to cover although the concept is a good one..

However, having done some thinking (my brain started to hurt) and a load more research, I'm going to base it on Stewarts Lane which covered three roads.

I just need to draw up some plans before I start cutting 2mm ply and plasticard.

Duncan

I've spent ages drawing, measuring, re-drawing the plans for the depot shed. I think I'm on version 8. at the moment and I'm fairly happy with it.

As said before, It's loosely based on a Stewarts Lane building.and will incorporate an internal crane.

After doing the jobs I've got to do today I'll start marking the Ply and cutting it. Hopefully something to show either tonight or tomorrow.

Duncan

I've spent ages drawing, measuring, re-drawing the plans for the depot shed. I think I'm on version 8. at the moment and I'm fairly happy with it.

As said before, It's loosely based on a Stewarts Lane building.and will incorporate an internal crane.

After doing the jobs I've got to do today I'll start marking the Ply and cutting it. Hopefully something to show either tonight or tomorrow.

Duncan

Duncan

I to have multiple revisions only 5 of the overall layout but umpteen others of small parts of the layout, I think this will be never ending but I do like drawing them (I use Any Rail)

Archived