Cox Green

Maidenhead

Berkshire

SL6 3AX

Free Parking

Refreshments

OPENING TIMES: SAT 10.00 am - 5pm

ADMISSION: Adults £4.00 Children £2.00 Family £10.00

You can get the Courtney number 7 bus from Maidenhead Station.( Shoppenhangers side) just ask driver to drop you off at Wessex Way shops. 3 min`s walk from there.

CONTACT: Contact Exhibition Manager by Facebook or Tel: 07576 331366

List of Traders Attending :

Ceynix Railway Trees, Freestone Model Accessories,

Kevin Robertson Books, Joe Lock Model Railways,

Railwayania,

RCTS,

Page Components LTD,

JB`S Model World

List of Layouts Attending :

Koln Usw - HO ,

Shad Dock- OO/4mm ,

Sankley - P4,

Stoney Hill

West- HO/3.5 ,

Plemont -N /2mm

Springfield Spa GWR – N/2mm

Polcombe Depot- O /7mm

Trewithick-EM/4mm ,

Lambeth Road- 00/4mm

Canal Turns – N/2mm

List of Demonstrations :

List of Other Displays :

Club Members Stand With Various Demo`s During the Day

Second Hand Stall

Would you like to win a free family ticket to our Exhibition ? ...................... :yahoo:

Here is a chance to win a Family Ticket to our Exhibition on the 5th January - Just "Like" the Marlow Maidenhead and District Model Railway Clubpage on Facebook and your name will be entered into a draw on 02/01/12 The winner will be notified via Facebook. GOOD LUCK! :D

Please note this prize cannot be exchanged for money or goods and is not transferable.

Nigel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only 2 days to the Show and we hope to see lots of RMweb members there!

Due to the overwhelming response to this promotion we have delayed the draw until tomorrow, so don’t wait just click the link below!

Would you like to win a free family ticket to our Exhibition ? ...................... :yahoo:

Here is a chance to win a Family Ticket to our Exhibition on the 5th January - Just "Like" the Marlow Maidenhead and District Model Railway Clubpage on Facebook and your name will be entered into a draw on 04/01/12 The winner will be notified via Facebook. GOOD LUCK! :D

Please note this prize cannot be exchanged for money or goods and is not transferable.

Nigel.

• RMweb Gold

Nice little show - as usual - with some good layouts.   Nice one with UndergrounD trains, Lambeth Road, a very nice Southern based P4 layout, a nice 'long & thin' GW EM although let down, alas, by a rather peculiar signal, nice to se Springfield Spa GW N gauge again and the new N gauge Aussie layout was interesting although it seems I shouldn't have said too much about the prototype pics as the group are now after some of mine (they really ought to look at RMweb sometime as well).

Hello

Spent sometime at the show this morning, very good as always.

Went with our Risex Manger Adrian, and of course was on the look out for a layout or two to book.

A good selction of layouts in various gauges and eras, plus some quality trade support for a small show.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

Enjoyed the show with some good layouts on display.  Bought some drill bits and an interesting book on the Piccadilly Line which was close to my heart as I used it every day to go to school in Cockfosters.

I enjoy the sound of diesel locos, but did notice the sound from Polcombe Depot as soon as I ventured into the room.  Perhaps it was because it was early in the show and with relatively few people in the room it was more noticeable from some distance away.  A good looking layout with some very nice locos.  There's something about 0 gauge that seems right.  Probably the size and the weight of the locos....

Oh to have the room..and the finances.  :no:

Popped in around lunchtime, the show seemed busy and parking was a bit chaotic and ened up in one of the roads opposite.

I hope I am not being too critical but it would be nice to get a larger wow or star layout rather than having all small end to end types.

David 

Hi David

Thank you for coming to our Show yes the car park is an issue as there were a number events on at the sports centre and school which is on the same site as the community centre. There is very little we can do about this as it is outside of our control.

The wow/star layout is often a personal opinion and maybe the star layout was there but on it's first outing! We are a club of medium size and have are lucky to have found this venue which we have now used for a number of years. We have to pitch the exhibition carefully to ensure that we appeal to a broad audience as we do get a lot of people local to area attending with young children.

Budgetary consideration have to be taken into account hence we have to be prudent with our choice of layouts a number of which were either members layout or from the local area.

Feedback is always welcome by our club thank you for taking the time to provide yours

NIgel

Parking I think is a problem at most venues, and if if not there there is not much you can do, but I do think most people will tend to find someware even if its a bit of a walk.

I got a bit confussed on the road signs as I had just dropped my passengers off in town for some retail therapy so followed the signs, I got to a T junction and no sign and got lost, so back tracked and came in the way I knew.

Just a thought could you use the hall next door and go for a bigger show?

I do understand the constrains of putting on a small local show, but do think its worthwhile investing a few pounds and getting a good layout or two, rather than relying on club and local layouts.

I have been to most of the M&M club shows over the years going right back to the ones held in the park by the river at Marlow as remember the MRC Chiltern Green layout being there which did really inspire me at the time and think I was quite a bit younger than I am now.

David 

David, those shows in Marlow by the river were in the mid-1980s!

As a club, we (I joined in 1982) have had a few venues over the years. Some have been better than others but, parking aside, Cox Green is on of the best, given the type of show that it is. As Nigel has already said, although the modeller attendees are well catered for (check out the trade) there is the inescapable fact that the MD&K element is essential for the overall success of the exhibition.

Hope it all went well today.

steve

I agree Cox Green is a nice venue, it's just a pity about the distance from the station (bus fare this morning was nearly as much as the train fare from Reading - and needed exact change, which required a quick nip to the newsagents!). Though that said, that issue applies to my own show as well! (And of course appreciating that there are many other factors in choice of venue than accessibility for non-car users....)

As regards the "big name"/"star" layouts, any big layouts (00 continuous run etc) are likely to be van hire jobs, so you're talking £100+ in expenses straight off, which can be a big sum for a small show. Certainly I've had to reject some very nice layouts for my own show for that very reason (one - which has been to Maidenhead in the past - received an invitation from me as soon as its owner bought a Ford Galaxy instead!).

I remember the venue by the river ,it had a pitch and put course outside ,enabling the Risboro and Chesham clubs to have a golf competition over the weekend !!!! Both clubs enjoyed exhibiting and often swapped personnel on layouts much to the confusion of managers ,often wonder how the lads from Chesham are ,do you read this forum Andy Mott?

I must have been to most of the venues.  I first came, with L plates on my car, and Dad as a happy minder, in 1972 (c June/July).  Another time was in mid summer 1981.  younger daughter was a few weeks old and slept through it all.  From memory that one was upstairs!  Cannot remeber of we carried her up in the travelling pram, or left her with a willing mug at the cash desk downstairs.

It later became my regular first of the year show when uni runs for afforementioned younger duaghter clashed with St albans.  So I remember the Town Hall and the school behind the railway station.

I enjoyed yesterday though sadly my back was playing up so I could only stay for just over an hour.  Another visit to the Osteopath may be required.  As always it is a nice way to start a new year of exhibitions.  I was lucky with parking in that I got the last space avaiable at 10.15 when I arrived.  But I appreciated the mix of layouts.  I know what big Dave is getting at, but consider that for as long as M M is at Cox Green, given the nature of the location, its approach is right.  Much as Risex is normally a show for smaller layouts.  As has been my own club show when for 2 periods when we could only hire modest church halls.  And if you have developed a local following, like Brambleton in 2 weeks, then good for you.  And I came back with 2 useful second hand books.  As an N gauge modeller there was nothing for me in terms of stock this time.  Just as well as I took a severance package in 2011.

Nice little show - as usual - with some good layouts.   Nice one with UndergrounD trains, Lambeth Road, a very nice Southern based P4 layout, a nice 'long & thin' GW EM although let down, alas, by a rather peculiar signal, nice to se Springfield Spa GW N gauge again and the new N gauge Aussie layout was interesting although it seems I shouldn't have said too much about the prototype pics as the group are now after some of mine (they really ought to look at RMweb sometime as well).

Im intrigued to know what you found peculiar about a signal on my layout.  They are operated but servos and are ratio GW operated by servos. A reference to the signal for the loop maybe? Or maybe the point at the show when one decided to adopt a will of its own and become an upper quandrant when supposed to be at danger....

gee vee

• RMweb Gold

Im intrigued to know what you found peculiar about a signal on my layout.  They are operated but servos and are ratio GW operated by servos. A reference to the signal for the loop maybe? Or maybe the point at the show when one decided to adopt a will of its own and become an upper quandrant when supposed to be at danger....

gee vee

Ah - wondered if that comment might produce a response ;) (and glad it has as it was nice to see a layout with working signals correctly sited so it would be great to put the final polish on the job perhaps?)

It was indeed the signal for the loop - unusual in respect that it had a running arm to read to the loop although that feature was not exactly unique but alas somewhat incorrect in the way it was arranged and wrong in the arm which was used.  A ring on a signal arm on the GWR was to indicate that the signal applied to a goods line or siding - and in the case of your Home Signal it obviously wasn't either of those as it was a full on passenger running line.  I'm not really sure why this error crops up but I have seen it a couple of times on other layouts and I can only presume that someone has either copied Southern practice (where a ring was affixed on arms reading to goods etc lines or has been misled by something they have read.  Anyway - simple bit - the arm should not have a ring on it (looked as if it might be easy to remove?)

Rather more difficult is the way such an arm should be arranged and here there are two methods  - the 'old arrangement' (by 1930s standards although such signals could still be found into the 1960s) was to use a centre pivot mounted just to the relevant side of the main post using a small bracket off the main post - like this example at the GWS at Didcot

post-6859-0-74394900-1357516940_thumb.jpg

The other method was simply to use a bracketed arm - like this one, also at Didcot

post-6859-0-64160800-1357517090_thumb.jpg

So if you are using timber post signals it should be either of these two.  By the time tubular steel came in the arm would most likely have been replaced by a co-located ground disc or possibly even a disc elevated on the main signal post although there were examples of signals being erected or renewed in tubular steel form with a short arm reading to the loop and/or siding.

There were also a few WR (but not I think GWR) signals with a short semaphore arm mounted below a full size running arm and reading to non-running lines routes but these were unusual and I doubt if they ever replicated what could have been seen on a timber post signal.  Equally I can vaguely recall seeing a picture of what appeared to be a goods arm mounted below a normal size running arm in exactly the arrangement you have but in that case it was done to use a single signal post at the exit from a goods loop and the signal was sited to the left of the loop with the main line arm visible over the top of a train standing in the loop.

Hope these notes help as it is an attractive layout with a nice Western atmosphere so it would, as  I've said, be nice to see the signals spot on  (and i'll say nothing about the Block Regulations).

Archived