The London Festival of Railway Modelling

BRMExhibitions

Good Evening All,

I too went to the show today. I must say that it was the best one in recent years. The volume of people was not as busy as it normally has been so I can only put that down to the snowy weather. I got there about 11.30am and left at around 4pm but really felt like I got to spend some good time looking at all the layouts. The usual trade stands were there and I did purchase 1 or 2 things. I was not bothered about some real bargains but I did pick up a Bachmann Class 47 'The Royal Army Ordnance Corps'  Modelzone Limited Edition loco which I had been after for a while at a very reasonable price.

The only thing that was not great was the show guide....a shame but hey, never mind.

Below are some of the photo's I took for the people unable to attend. I hope you enjoy them.

Aberdeen Kirkhill

post-3641-0-54029600-1364069725.jpg

Aberdeen Kirkhill

post-3641-0-84553600-1364069749.jpg

Aberdeen Kirkhill

post-3641-0-13837200-1364069753.jpg

Aberdeen Kirkhill

post-3641-0-67023600-1364069756.jpg

Aberdeen Kirkhill

post-3641-0-06321200-1364069760.jpg

Aberdeen Kirkhill

post-3641-0-57961800-1364069763.jpg

Aberdeen Kirkhill

post-3641-0-85457800-1364069766.jpg

Asenby St Peter

post-3641-0-26964200-1364069770.jpg

post-3641-0-27740700-1364069773.jpg

82G

post-3641-0-69476100-1364069776.jpg

82G

post-3641-0-11992600-1364069831.jpg

82G

post-3641-0-50621000-1364069834.jpg

82G

post-3641-0-89435500-1364069837.jpg

82G

post-3641-0-90293400-1364069841.jpg

82G

post-3641-0-41017200-1364069845.jpg

82G

post-3641-0-97910500-1364069849.jpg

82G

post-3641-0-62684500-1364069853.jpg

post-3641-0-58952200-1364069857.jpg

Portcullin

post-3641-0-11325300-1364069861.jpg

Portchullin

post-3641-0-67746400-1364069864.jpg

Regards

Alchemy

Judging by the photos, I missed a load of layouts that I'd have liked to spend time admiring, but with eldest in tow and feeling quite ropey all day, it's hardly surprising I missed them.

Did pick up some good deals of railworks sim software.... shame I've spent the last 3 hours trying to get it to install without success on either laptop ... poss due to it downloading the 2013 update (there seems no other option) and that taking hours and then not working. I'm sure it's me, I'm sure I'm tired, but I've two disappointed boys that wanted to play this, so it's one more go on the other comp and then a give up I think. Software and me don't seem to mix.

It was nice to bump into many friends there today; I just wish I was able to spend more time chatting; sorry chaps.

Jon

I had a great day, aside from seeing a couple of layouts I'd never seen before and seeing a couple I've seen in the past and wanted to re-visit them, I was allowed to operate on BCB for a few hours and it was fantastic.

post-7964-0-19286300-1364071778_thumb.jpg

The famous Cortina from the back of the layout

post-7964-0-90312200-1364071836_thumb.jpg

Overhead shot of Andy's cottages

• RMweb Gold

So, the cortina's ok then? I think the Captain has left something in the boot and you'll have to ask Old Gringo about the greenery behind the drivers seat...

Fantastic! First time I've seen it 'in situ' was in Kevin's photo above, brilliant the way that layout is developing!

Have a great day tomorrow, everyone, from us here in The Noble Realm (?the only part of RMWeb where it's not snowing, perhaps?!)

• RMweb Gold

So a few, firstly from BCB - a smashing piece of real looking railway in a wonderfull setting, just the place to go trainspotting one day (if it wasn't for all those blue diseasals)

post-6859-0-58721400-1364072420_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-61474000-1364072514_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-45617500-1364072555_thumb.jpg

Interesting to note too the suppliers that have been engaged for this layout - very professional packing from 'somewhere beyond the Channel' (and fortunately not cut-off from England by todays poor weather!).

post-6859-0-96400400-1364072650_thumb.jpg

And now a taste of immediately recognisable Scotland with Dubbieside

post-6859-0-71078900-1364072941_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-69230000-1364073001_thumb.jpg

And the far from tatty Porthcullin speaks for itself - complete with some very realistic diesel sound (shame they were blue, can't win 'em all I s'pose)

post-6859-0-20937300-1364073098_thumb.jpg

Difficult to forget the name of this exercise in the senior scale

post-6859-0-24988200-1364073254_thumb.jpg

And once seen never forgotten (it's Stoke Summit for those who've not seen it before) and it had blue diesels too at the time we visited :O

post-6859-0-70662100-1364073369_thumb.jpg

Now the superbly eclectic Q Dump (from behind the back scene and taken just after daughter and I had acted (probably exactly the right word!) as lunch break relief operators for its forgiving (fortunately) owners.  Simple layout and simple electrics so great fun to work and our second attempt today at ally Pally seemed to have been an improvement on our effort at Abingdon a few weeks back - just as well really, thank you Nigel & Sue and I'm looking forward to seeing 'Caldon Low' in a few months time.

post-6859-0-10084000-1364073535_thumb.jpg

And now to the opposite end of the scale with the not only walkaround but also walk-in Essex Belt Lines

post-6859-0-75540300-1364074041_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-89060100-1364074116_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-14078700-1364074160_thumb.jpg

And finally back to the other end of the scale, but in a larger scale, with the nicely observed atmosphere of St. George's Pit

post-6859-0-47735700-1364074271_thumb.jpg

It was an enjoyable show. Not convinced it was the best Ally Paly I have been too. Only in there 4 hours which is the short visit by my standards. 

Plus was TFL running trains on the Met so junior and I could travel all the way by train. Bumped into up many old friends from my Buckinghamshire days which was a major bonus

Could have done without some pompeous official asking my 10 year old if he had permission to take photo's and pointing out the signs. Is this Warners new policy to encourage the next generation modellers?

The several G scale layouts have encouraged us to dig out the LGB when we get home. The enormous US layout kept us entertained for some time, as did old favourite Stoke Bank.

Bachmann stand early bun fight always entertaining. Despite the trade, only the book shops did well from me. Many stands selling the same blue and red boxes, that I try not buy from shows as I have a loyalty to my local model shop, who struggles at the best of time.

Enjoyable but have been to better

Mike Wiltshire

I don't know why that happened Cap'n - done that on me before it has but I'll leave deleting one of them to the Mods as the last time I tried deleting one the pics vanished from the other as well.

. Well I have just deleted the second post Mike and all of the pictures have gone from the first now. Sorry don't know why and it ha never happened before.....ANDY!!!!!!

Great fun show despite the weather (hope everyone made it through Ally Pally station ok, when we arrived there was acres of ice and one poor guy with a bag of salt). Lots of excellent layouts, including the beautiful BCB. We also saw Tornado, albiet at Slough (no pics as we were on another train at the time). Quite gald we didn't arrive early judging by from those who did

• RMweb Premium

Well I was going to the show, but unfortunately someone lock the office compound, so I can not get access to my car until Monday. so I have to bring the works van home.

That was a waste of money and I am not going to be able to get my £9.00 back.

I am very pissed off about it.

Terry  

• RMweb Gold

. Well I have just deleted the second post Mike and all of the pictures have gone from the first now. Sorry don't know why and it ha never happened before.....ANDY!!!!!!

All is well (well it was a minute ago) as I have managed to put the pics back in as they were still there when I went into full edit mode on the post.  Sorry about the interruption of service folks.

Could have done without some pompeous official asking my 10 year old if he had permission to take photo's and pointing out the signs. Is this Warners new policy to encourage the next generation modellers?

A moot point that does seem to be unique to the BRM shows. The signs were there at Doncaster although everyone, including myself, ignored them.

The attitude is hardly the way to encourage a youngster to get involved in the hobby.

Who will post the first photo, today?

I'll put my money on Martyn......

Best, Pete.

Sorry, long way back to Exeter! :)

I shot some of various US ones, but mainly the Essex Belt Lines, thanks to the Thamesiders guys for being welcome and letting me come and have a play! :)

Here's one of the aforementioned kitbashed machines, an EMD'd Alco plus slug slogging up the holler on their mine branch.

DSC_0100-M.jpg

Nice to catch Menasha 'in the flesh' as well after watching it develop on here

DSC_0122-M.jpg

More pics here - no captions yet, time for bed!

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/ModelRailroading-1/2013-03-23-Alexandra-Palace-US/28570926_SDKM7H#!i=2422183112&k=DMkXHDW

A moot point that does seem to be unique to the BRM shows. The signs were there at Doncaster although everyone, including myself, ignored them.

The attitude is hardly the way to encourage a youngster to get involved in the hobby.

They shouldn't be up in the first place and I wish someone would try and explain why they feel the need to have them - especially when it's clearly unenforceable anyway.

I had no trouble getting there at 8.45 am yesterday thans to East Midlands Trains, the Piccadilly Line and the shuttle bus supplied by London United. It wss inhumane of the venue management to leave us outside until 9.15 and I'm sure the staff of the catering outlet in the Palm Court will have something to say about the loss of their trade.

My modest shopping list was accomplished by 9.45 - two books from Irwell, one from Wild Swan. This excluded subsequent impulse purchaes! Much gossiping took place and although my friend from Theydon Bois did not appear there were plenty of others with whom to exchange pleasantries. I was sorry to miss Stationmaster, who I know, and Coach Bogie, who I don't yet. Quite why I looked out my RMweb badge and then left it in my backpack all day is one of those unfathomable mysteries but I'm not sure that I clocked anyone else sporting one either.

For me, pride of place went to BCB. I got to it just after Flavio's buildings had been installed, displacing the mock-ups. I managed to miss the travels of the Cortina but I am told it could have been seen on every 4mm and 3.5mm layout at some point. Every time I went near the layout there were nothing but happy faces, which has to be a good sign. One acquaintance of mine, not a forum inmate, was moaning that there were too many blue diesels, not just on BCB but on Stoke Summit and Portchullin, but he does admit to being one for whom the world ended in 1968.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I had no trouble getting there at 8.45 am yesterday thans to East Midlands Trains, the Piccadilly Line and the shuttle bus supplied by London United. It wss inhumane of the venue management to leave us outside until 9.15 and I'm sure the staff of the catering outlet in the Palm Court will have something to say about the loss of their trade.

My modest shopping list was accomplished by 9.45 - two books from Irwell, one from Wild Swan. This excluded subsequent impulse purchaes! Much gossiping took place and although my friend from Theydon Bois did not appear there were plenty of others with whom to exchange pleasantries. I was sorry to miss Stationmaster, who I know, and Coach Bogie, who I don't yet. Quite why I looked out my RMweb badge and then left it in my backpack all day is one of those unfathomable mysteries but I'm not sure that I clocked anyone else sporting one either.

For me, pride of place went to BCB. I got to it just after Flavio's buildings had been installed, displacing the mock-ups. I managed to miss the travels of the Cortina but I am told it could have been seen on every 4mm and 3.5mm layout at some point. Every time I went near the layout there were nothing but happy faces, which has to be a good sign. One acquaintance of mine, not a forum inmate, was moaning that there were too many blue diesels, not just on BCB but on Stoke Summit and Portchullin, but he does admit to being one for whom the world ended in 1968.

Chris

Sorry to miss you too Chris - but you'll possibly be relieved to learn that having made sure I took my RMweb badge with me I also managed to leave it firmly in my bag all day.  Maybe we think other RMweb members are possessed of superior powers of observation?

Hi All,

Is there an official badge? Can any member get one? If not, could we get one set up? One of the little traditional enamel railway badges style things would be good. We could even have a competition to design it... What do you think Andy? It would be rather good as I suspect that I missed meeting having a chat with a number of my fellow members yesterday and it would be nice to put faces to names.

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Sadly it's not new. 40 years ago I came across the same nonsense at Pendon - and haven't felt the slightest inclination to return.

• RMweb Premium

As I pointed out I would be wearing a green baseball cap so that any RMweb member would be able to recognise me. Not one member actually came up to me, in fact the only member I spoke to was Old Gringo on the BCB layout. An RMweb lapel badge I think would be a good idea. The party I was with arrived at about 9.15 and went straight in and joined another queue I assume were ticket holders, I thought the queue outside was for those waiting to purchase tickets.

• RMweb Premium

Sadly it's not new. 40 years ago I came across the same nonsense at Pendon - and haven't felt the slightest inclination to return.

I visited Pendon a couple of years ago and there was no such restriction, perhaps they've seen the light. However as most if not all of it is behind glass photography can be a bit tricky.

• RMweb Premium

I also had a good journey down from Stafford thanks to London Midland only three minutes late into Euston (held at a red south of Rugby for two pendies to pass)

Tubed to Wood Green on the UG walked across the road and a bus arrived within 5 minutes ( for future years may be worth having a sign at Wood Green UG advising AP bus stop I was lucky the guy in front of me new where it was)

Straight in little queuing (about 11:00) missed the Bachmann scrummage

I am totally against any restrictions on layout photography imposed by the exhibition organiser (providing the layout owner is seeked for permission and that the photographs are used for your own use and not for commercial gain) not sure where posting on the RMweb sits.

A second cautionary note is the ever more Model Railway Magazines organising exhibitions for a profit.

With now 3 x BRM Exhibitions 1 x Model Rail Exhibitions and now 2 Hornby Magazine Exhibitions (Hartlepool and now Gaydon)

This effectively could be reducing the revenue generated to maintain model railway clubs which of course are the lifeblood of the large layouts we see at all exhibitions

I don't think I am alone in thinking this

Happy Modeling

Eltel

It was my first time this year. I've never been to an exhibition before. Overall though somehow it just wasn't as good as I thought it might be. There's nothing objectively I can say was wrong and I did have a great time. Saw some cracking layouts and made some purchases I was happy with.There were a couple of items I was looking for that I didn't find however. Maybe that was it! 

I would go again, but perhaps not every year. 

• RMweb Gold

It seems at this point that it would be helpful if someone from the BRM team could comment on this, perhaps?

I recall seeing signs up the last time I was there, which was around 5 years ago, and everyone was ignoring them then. I thought at the time that these were signs put up by the owners of Ally Pally, and not Warners themselves?

Archived