Whats on your 2mm Work bench

nick_bastable

Bit late to this discussion but check out eveleigh creations website David shows all his etch sheets on there and you can see how the non commercial etches have a lot of varied stuff on them. E.g I have a K9 loco etch which is on sheet 3 (only one per sheet) so if you order one he has to either get a full sheet or refuse to supply. In the case of getting the sheet in then he's left with signal boxes etc.  So I can understand Chris Higgs position regarding his left overs!

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2022 at 12:57, Argos said:

Hi Yorkshire Square,

One of the problems is that you don't necessarily know what limited runs have been available or who the designer (or originator) was.

Clearly having everything available all the time is never going to be option, but access to past runs would useful (also recognising Chris's point about etches not just being a "press and print" production).

As an example I recently moved into modelling Irish Railways and was gifted an etch of GSWR J15 shot down from the 4mms kit, after a general enquiry I was gifted some more etches from various gloat boxes, however, had it not been for the generosity of another member I would never have known about the etches exitance (I am lead to believe it was produced in the late 1990s).

I also understand the point about time available. 

If you skim through the old newsletters particularly the shop notes you should find all sorts of things that might be of interest.  Obviously  if you see the light and give up on LMS in favour of say the LBSCR you may need to go through them again so if you are currently modelling the WR but have a sneaking interest in the GER bear that in mind when going through

Don

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Not really 'on my workbench' but more a 'hoped it maybe' ... Ive just gone to look up what 2mm GWR coaches on the Worsley Works website to discover the whole site has gone.  It may just be an issue over a forgotten renewal or domain name move of course, just wondered if anyone knew anything - would have emailed them direct, but cannot currently find their email address!

Rich

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Not really 'on my workbench' but more a 'hoped it maybe' ... Ive just gone to look up what 2mm GWR coaches on the Worsley Works website to discover the whole site has gone.  It may just be an issue over a forgotten renewal or domain name move of course, just wondered if anyone knew anything - would have emailed them direct, but cannot currently find their email address!

Rich

Hi 

Website working ok for me.

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/N/n_gauge_gwr_coaches.htm

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2022 at 21:55, PaulCheffus said:

Hi 

Website working ok for me.

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/N/n_gauge_gwr_coaches.htm

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Could it be cached on your system?  Clicking on your link just gives me :

981180279_Screenshot2022-04-22at21_58_54.png.84d9ef837564f145f76f90cf0b10ede6.png

Tried on both Safari and Firefox

Rich

Edit: In case anyone is reading this in the future and gets worried. It must have been a domain issue or server transfer problem, as the site returned two days later.

Edited by MarshLane
Updated Situation

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Paul,

Could it be cached on your system?  Clicking on your link just gives me :

981180279_Screenshot2022-04-22at21_58_54.png.84d9ef837564f145f76f90cf0b10ede6.png

Tried on both Safari and Firefox

Rich

Hi

Possibly, I’ve just tried again and got the same message as you.

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Midland M Goods is making slow Progress. 

2022-04-10_06-29-06

Boiler is still loose. Boiler fittings are in hand.

I have been also laying some track for a small shelf shunting layout. For only 2 points I have procrastinated at length. Working on the wiring and manual point control in the ZAG session. 

2022-04-24_12-25-38

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The email address I have for Allen is allendoherty@worsleyworks.co.uk but if the domain is parked, that might not work either

Postal address is 19 Douglas Road,  Worsley, Greater Manchester  M28 2SR

7 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

The email address I have for Allen is allendoherty@worsleyworks.co.uk but if the domain is parked, that might not work either

Postal address is 19 Douglas Road,  Worsley, Greater Manchester  M28 2SR

Seems to be back now.

Bill

• Thanks 1

When I ordered some numberplates from 247 Developments, I noticed that they offered a 3D print for a GWR DD4 CORDON. It is meant to go on a PECO chassis. The real ones re-used old 4-wheel coach chassis and Atkins' GWR Wagons lists no less than 26 different variants, with a maximum of 6 of any one type. Every photo I have seen is slightly different, so I concluded a somewhat freelance approach along the general lines would not be far off. The 3D print is slightly short, no doubt to suit the PECO chassis but I thought I could at least capture the look-and-feel. In keeping with the prototype's second-hand approach, everything other than the print came from the spares box. The main chassis parts are plastic strip. Chivers-type 7mm W Irons (2-315) were used, along with leaf springs from a TOAD etch, V-hangers and brake handles were from a wagon variant I had not used. Spare etch formed the footstep. Some Northeastern scribed timber happened to be the right size to extend the deck and the usual Association parts were used for buffers, vacuum cylinders etc. In a small wagon, I have three different metals, plastic strip, 3D print and wood!

DSC_7410.JPG.6e88890862713f1dd3dcfe02e61ab3dc.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

World War II is over and the road signs have been reinstated. The warm Isle of Wight summer sun has helped the wild flowers to bloom.

IMG_20220427_214926

IMG_20220427_214904

IMG_20220427_214942

A little more scenic work is now in place on 'Freshwater' ready for the show at Bristol this weekend. Please come and say hello.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Something I've been experimenting with is a more precise way of applying static grass. Now that everything is electrified, the simple Noch puffer bottles are being somewhat overlooked.

What if there was a way of combining the precise nature of the puffer bottle with an extra static charge?  I have one of the now discontinued Warpainter Flockboxes which has a couple of flying leads aimed at using a metal sieve for grassing bigger areas.  I believe similar boxes are available from other sources.
https://www.warpainter.net/flockbox-11-p.asp

Fitting a loop of wire inside the plastic nozzle of the Noch puffer on which to attach one of the flying leads showed the idea had legs but it needed a bit more area to fully charge the fibres.  The bottle has a 20mm diameter nozzle so I acquired some suitably sized tube, brass mesh and a bit of copper wire to make an all metal nozzle.  The following sequence of photos shows the general idea.

20220429_201150a.jpg.af4ff50cf08333892f1732e62b7904a1.jpg

The copper wire came from a spare bit of mains twin & earth cable.  It helps reinforce the joint and provides a convenient connection point.  A little bit of heat shrink tube helps protect the bare wire.

20220429_201108a.jpg.8fdfde2254dc703ee95dda04ed7d463e.jpg

20220429_201102a.jpg.0553795bb702bcd4d49ebd7e9e9ee5b7.jpg

20220429_201037a.jpg.0048a5e08475ba1071d0b968b16f4ff6.jpg

20220429_201055a.jpg.ff6279e5107d44dcb022a95b7e9f002a.jpg

So far it works rather well for covering small areas and should come into its own for putting weeds up against structures and in trackwork.

A slight drawback is that the exterior of the bottle takes on a slight static charge.  A non-conductive tube slipped over the metal nozzle might help prevent this.  The mesh size (about 1.5mm) I've used copes OK with fibres up to 6mm, probably about as big as you'd want to go for 2mm work.

A tip I'd pass on is to wear some latex gloves when doing static grass to prevent getting the occasional jolt from the applicator.

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I've done weds along walls by painting a narrow strip of pva onto a tile, liberally coating it with static grass and leaving it to dry. I then cut down the middle of the strip which leaves you with two narrow strips each with a straight edge which you can then glue along the wall. 

Jim 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

I've done weds along walls by painting a narrow strip of pva onto a tile, liberally coating it with static grass and leaving it to dry. I then cut down the middle of the strip which leaves you with two narrow strips each with a straight edge which you can then glue along the wall. 

Jim 

The Flockbox is designed to produce static grass tufts like this, a job it does well.  I'm hoping that the electrified puffer bottle will make it easier to produce a patchy effect on bigger areas of grass.  My trials so far show that layering gives a better effect than trying to cover everything in one go.

Incidentally, the Flockbox is written up in MRJ 262.

Mark

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It's working!

Despite only 2 points  it's taken me long enough to wire up and fault find. Safe to say 'lecktronics' is not a strength of mine. 

Uncoupling magnets to fit and its serious play/testing time!

I have achive more in the last 14 months with 2mm than the other scales I have played with. 

The Chief layout tester is give her recomendations for improvements.

2022-04-30_08-26-24

She makes a fair job of the easytrac too....

2022-04-30_08-36-42

• Like 14

33 minutes ago, tapdieuk said:

It's working!

Despite only 2 points  it's taken me long enough to wire up and fault find. Safe to say 'lecktronics' is not a strength of mine. 

I have achive more in the last 14 months with 2mm than the other scales I have played with. 

2022-04-30_08-26-24

2022-04-30_08-36-42

That moment your loco glides through a point you have assembled....priceless...just done same in 3mm 14.2mm gauge! (Mine was kit from British finescale) enjoy the moment 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, tapdieuk said:

It's working!

2022-04-30_08-26-24

2022-04-30_08-36-42

Your chief tester's eyesight is probably at the optimum for 2mm modelling.  You should subcontract more jobs to her.

Wiring concepts can be made simple by taping a red pen and a black pen together and drawing out the track plan.  When the red crosses the black, that's where you need to isolate and put in some kind of switch.  It will also indicate how dead-end sidings can be made self-isolating when the turnout is set against them.

The MERG e-book is highly recommended
https://www.merg.org.uk/content/ebook

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2022 at 21:27, bradfordbuffer said:

That moment your loco glides through a point you have assembled....priceless...just done same in 3mm 14.2mm gauge! (Mine was kit from British finescale) enjoy the moment 

Well a slight bump.....

The Jinty's rear wheel set is slightly wide to Back to Back. The other locos and stock went through OK.

But yes, a good sense of achievement. 

Finishing off these LBSC Ballast wagons and a LSWR horse box from etched pixles.

2022-05-03_09-37-23

• Like 5