fiNetrax

Anglian

Thank you both.

Kris,

If you have the inclination, and only if it's not too much bother, I wondered if you could sometime take a picture from about 18" away looking across the tracks with a coach/loco in the shot?

• RMweb Gold

Hello Anglian,

I am not sure it's of any use to you, but a test build I did of a Finetrax point and some track is in the current issue of Model Rail.  I think there's a shot there of a locomotive on the track.

I think it's a good product, and really well thought out.

cheers

Ben A.

It's a shame FiNetrax isn't available for sale in shops or at least at exhibitions. I think ti has to be seen "in the flesh" to appreciate how good it looks and the contrast in appearance with other N gauge track. The high postage cost (a single track length is sent in a great big cardboard box) must be putting people off sending for a sample.

It's a shame FiNetrax isn't available for sale in shops or at least at exhibitions. I think ti has to be seen "in the flesh" to appreciate how good it looks and the contrast in appearance with other N gauge track. The high postage cost (a single track length is sent in a great big cardboard box) must be putting people off sending for a sample.

It is me!

I'm sure 6" sections could be posted in a board backed envelope. It would be good to see a 'request sample' button on the website so that those like me who are very interested can pay £3 – £4 to have piece in our hands. I have emailed and asked if they will be attending any shows.

I shall have to pick up Model Rail.

Edited by Anglian

• RMweb Gold

Does anybody have a photograph of a Farish loco and/or coach on FiNetrax? Or can anybody point me to one on the net?

I want to get a sample length of track but the minimum postage charge is £6.50.

I have a short length built up which I could send to you.

It is me!

I'm sure 6" sections could be posted in a board backed envelope. It would be good to see a 'request sample' button on the website so that those like me who are very interested can pay £3 – £4 to have piece in our hands. I have emailed and asked if they will be attending any shows.

I shall have to pick up Model Rail.

Very good idea, but I wonder about the costings for the manufacturer though. May encourage too many time wasters, on the other hand some form of discount on a future order could be offered

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, i have built track and points and as Ben says a good product and well thoughtout. I find it quite strong enough but as with all trackages care is needed - number of issue threads on here have folk putting hand up to rushing track and then reporting stock for falling off !!

I have built a point and sample of track and had it at TINGS last year on 1:148 stand and it was played with and tiebar assembly did not fail - a good test I thought. 5 more and a trap to do for layout.  

I soldered droppers to bottom of crossing and where I linked stock and blades I made this long enough to be a tag to go below layout all in 0.3 brass wire.

I also added a spot of oil to rail head when threading plain rail into sleeper units - made up 500mm lengths easily. - but asever care needed to avoid kinking rail.

Viz packaging I wonder if this is due to Wayne`s other work as it might be a common package.

If anybody wants a small sample of the future please PM me.

Robert      

I now have a sample length of track assembled – enough to put a wagon on and think – I like this a lot. I found it very easy to assemble but think the jig would be essential for mass production.

Depends on what you consider "mass". I wouldn't want to do enough for, say, an uncompressed version of Kings Cross, but then I did all of mine (8 meters or so) without a jig.

Thanks – perhaps the jig isn't essential after all. I found the product very easy to assemble but I simply thought it might become tedious if making up a large amount of track.

I have this small piece sitting on my desk and I still have not [edit!] got over how good it looks.

If I were to make a temporary test layout how would you recommend I attach this to the baseboard so that I could recover it for later use on a more permanent layout? Is there a neat way of retaining the correct sleeper spacing while keeping the timber at the right angle to the rail, when laying the track?

Edited by Anglian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks – perhaps the jig isn't essential after all. I found the product very easy to assemble but I simply thought it might become tedious if making up a large amount of track.

I have this small piece sitting on my desk and I still have got over how good it looks.

If I were to make a temporary test layout how would you recommend I attach this to the baseboard so that I could recover it for later use on a more permanent layout? Is there a neat way of retaining the correct sleeper spacing while keeping the timber at the right angle to the rail, when laying the track?

I probably would not go down that route.

Either 1) Keep the test layout very simple - an oval plus one siding. Cheap enough and small enough to keep when you build the larger layout.

Or 2) Plan the larger layout to be constructed in modules and build one of the simpler modules to completion first.

I am glad that you liked the sample. It really would not be difficult for Wayne to do as I did: put an 8" length of rail and a few sleeper bases on a sheet of card in an A5 envelope. Could be a big boost to sales until people see fiNetrax on exhibition layouts and in magazines.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As per other people on here, I'd like to see fiNetrax in person. Its shame samples aren't available, as 2mm FS association so taster packs for a quid!

This could start getting expensive! But happy to send you a sample as I did for Anglian. Message me with your address.

I bought five metres of FiNetrax shortly after launch and I have to agree that it is a top quality product.

I have yet to assemble a point kit but I did briefly put together a short test track (now dismantled) and it is possible using thin cork sheet to raise Finetrax to line up with Peco points (without cork for the points) for anyone wanting to use the track but daunted by the point kits. I used my trusty Xuron cutter to cut the point down as far as possible.

I realise some may throw their hands up in horror at the thought of what I did, but it is simply another option that might encourage the use or the plain track!

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Thinking aloud. Perhaps Wayne could get the likes of Dapol, Farish and DJM to exhibit samples of fiNetrax on their exhibition stands? It has to be an encouragement to buy their rolling stock that there is good track to run it on.

• 1 year later...

Things seem to have gone very quiet here on the FiNetrax front.

Has anyone more experiences to share of this product or photos of the track in place and ballasted on a layout?

There doesn't seem to be much promotion of FiNetrax. The discussion forum on the British Finescale website seems to have become pretty much dormant in the last year and some queries have remained unanswered.

I did not realise until I searched the British Finescale website that large radius C10 turnouts are now available - something that can't be done with Peco track.

The only news I have seen recently was on the N Gauge forum, where it was announced that in future turnout bases may come with the chairs already in place, and that for an extra charge pre-filed switch plates already soldered to the chair plates can be provided.

Edited by Douglas G

Douglas, I have been thinking the same thing - and no further updates on the website either.

I have built half a dozen lengths of straight track, which are fine, and have attempted three turnouts. The chairs aren't too much of a problem, but I have had problems with the switch blades and plates etc. I have my doubts that glue is going to be strong enough to hold these parts long-term, and I my attempts at soldering the blades accurately in place on the plates have been variable to say the least. You don't really get a second chance with parts that small. As yet, I'm uncertain whether I've managed to make a useable turnout, but have my doubts, even though they are visually very satisfying.

I have not yet laid any track, and therefore don't know what the 'next stage' issues are - but I am also unsure about point operation. Wayne did advise me that I need to use slow-action motors, but all of those I have yet found require far more baseboard depth than I have available, not to mention the cost. I reluctantly considered wire-in-tube but there is still the polarity-switching issue.

Personally, I'm facing something of a dilemma at present: my present plans are undergoing yet another revision, and the track issue is part of that. I have 'negotiated' a way into obtaining a larger space within the flat for my next layout. I really like the look of the code 40 track but am torn over whether to keep throwing what is amounting to quite a lot of money at potential failures. I'm not yet in a position to get one turnout fully installed to see what the score is. The plan was always going to be to build the track in advance of starting serious work, but I'm less sure that that's wise now. I enjoyed building the plain track, but the turnouts were not, if I'm honest, much fun, especially as the end results were indifferent. I accept that's largely down to my skill/lack of experience in track building. Not sure I want to build dozens of the things though!

The complicating factor here is that I have returned from France (re-) fired up about French railways... There was/is plenty of chaired track over there on secondary lines but the Arnold railcar I have brought is not happy on code 40 track and the wheels are far too small to change.

I guess Wayne may see this discussion, and it would be interesting to hear what he has to say. I'm loathe to give up on the track as it's excellent - but there are 'issues' that mean I  haven't made as much progress as I would have liked.

It would be good to hear how others are getting on, too.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the report - very interesting.

I personally would find it very useful to go to a workshop on building FiNetrax points, similar to the ones that the 2mm Association has run for 2mm finescale in the past. I think it is the points that are most people's stumbling block and the fear of making a mess of them.