Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

UP Big Boy to steam again in 2019

roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Just watched it moving off from Covina.   They have really pulled out all the stops for it.   The loco on the other end of the Big Boy is No 4884, rather appropriate.   They've also got the Big Boy's whistle operating on air, it sounds fabulous.

Jamie.

Always admired the American trains such huge machines with all that power ,being watching this thread for a while and now I want a Union Pacific big boy. glad to see there going to get it running again .pity we couldn't have saved one of our big steam engines like the garrats so they could run again .

Brian

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how much the seats up in the tender cost for this trip.   It must be brilliant in January in LA but I'm not sure there would be much competition when they cross Wyoming in March.  I hope they've got some cab heating then.  Even so it's brilliant to see a cab with people in the engineers and fireman's seats, of a big boy on the main line.

Jamie

Some pics found on Flickr.

12179399256_00aa9ba4a8_b.jpg

12179045873_c43a9e7fe3_b.jpg

12175180684_855125a1c5_b.jpg

12166616265_49f37ce712_b.jpg

12169485254_5c37139dc9_b.jpg

These two dressed in 40s clothing were from a local museum, they were interviewed on the webcam, the gent said he owned a couple of rare pullman cars and she said he asks her to dress up.

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Some pics found on Flickr.

12179399256_00aa9ba4a8_b.jpg

UP 4014 Excursion by Christopher Paetow Photography, on Flickr

12179045873_c43a9e7fe3_b.jpg

UP 4014 Excursion by Christopher Paetow Photography, on Flickr

12175180684_855125a1c5_b.jpg

West Colton Bound - 3 by GRNDMND, on Flickr

12166616265_49f37ce712_b.jpg

UP 4014 - Temple Avenue by Amtrak/Santa Fe Boy, on Flickr

12169485254_5c37139dc9_b.jpg

Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 vintage by Lefty Limbo, on Flickr

These two dressed in 40s clothing were from a local museum, they were interviewed on the webcam, the gent said he owned a couple of rare pullman cars and she said he asks her to dress up.

A couple of years ago on New Year's Eve we were in San Diego when we saw some private cars in the Amtrak Santa Fe Depot. The chap in the uniform saw that we were interested in the cars, invited us on board and gave us a tour of them. A very friendly person.

Ian

Edit

His cars are normally kept in the garden at LAUPT

Edited by roundhouse

"These two dressed in 40s clothing were from a local museum, they were interviewed on the webcam, the gent said he owned a couple of rare pullman cars and she said he asks her to dress up." -Michael Delamar

Did he get her to wear stockings, I wonder?

Some great photos there....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

UP should be awarded extra style points for picking that SD70M with that road number!

Nice touch there! :sungum:

UP always has had style.  They never retired 844, and in the early Amtrak days took pride in delivering the California Zephyr at either Odgen or Denver on time even to the extent of putting one of their 'fast forties' on the front for a bit of extra oomph to make up lost time if the train was handed over to them late by either SP or BN.  At that time the Zephyr ran on the UP line through Wyoming rather than the DRGW line through Colorado.

Jamie

UP really does take pride in being a railroad, at least from a PR perspective.  I recall reading their (female) head of PR being annoyed that new regulations for yellow side sills meant that they had to change their diesel livery which had been the same since 1939....

I'm not sure whether employees are so enamoured, particularly ex-SP employees.

• RMweb Premium

UP always has had style.  They never retired 844, and in the early Amtrak days took pride in delivering the California Zephyr at either Odgen or Denver on time even to the extent of putting one of their 'fast forties' on the front for a bit of extra oomph to make up lost time if the train was handed over to them late by either SP or BN.  At that time the Zephyr ran on the UP line through Wyoming rather than the DRGW line through Colorado.

Jamie

I was thinking more along the lines of a Big Boys wheel arrangement Jamie aka '4884'.

They could also ofcourse been thinking about the Challenger at the same time.

UP really does take pride in being a railroad, at least from a PR perspective. I recall reading their (female) head of PR being annoyed that new regulations for yellow side sills meant that they had to change their diesel livery which had been the same since 1939....

I'm not sure whether employees are so enamoured, particularly ex-SP employees.

I also recall Steve Lee saying that when a UP steam excursion ran, all the passenger cars matched and it looked like a UP train. Then he subtly compared it with the mismatched cars on other steam excursions (without naming any, but it was obvious that it was EVERY other excursion)

Of course, the flip side is that they were the company that tried to get all the model RR manufacturers to pay them a licensing fee for use of their trademarked logos. They even sued a few to court before it was resolved (and the UP wisely dropping that idea)

Edited by Mike Boucher

Quick 4000 class engineering question. In the Pentrax 'Big Boy' series, I recall a shot of a tire fitting in the shop at Cheyenne. The tire was heated with a gas ring and then hammered on to the wheel, in the film the wheel appeared smooth. So my question is, do 4000/38s have any from of split ring or riveting on the tires or is it a flat contraction fit? Are there any stories of tires slipping on 4000/38s

Yours

Luath.   

• RMweb Premium

Quick 4000 class engineering question. In the Pentrax 'Big Boy' series, I recall a shot of a tire fitting in the shop at Cheyenne. The tire was heated with a gas ring and then hammered on to the wheel, in the film the wheel appeared smooth. So my question is, do 4000/38s have any from of split ring or riveting on the tires or is it a flat contraction fit? Are there any stories of tires slipping on 4000/38s

Yours

Luath.   

That was the way that tyres were always fitted and still are on heritage lines.  Slipping of tyres was certainly never a problem on the Big Boys.  They did suffer some problems which were well documented by William Kratville.  The only one I can remember off the top of my hbead was cinder cutting of the ends of flues in the smokebox.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

That whistle although only run with air sounds fantastic, and I just love the purr of those SD40-2's on the back end.

Quite fitting they used an all EMD consist too, only the best!

Edited by Gary H