UP Big Boy to steam again in 2019

roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Amazing quality engineering.  Who knew a Nathan D7 Lubricator was a thing of beauty?

Those cast steel engine beds were absolutely brilliant pieces of foundry work. I can't wait to see 4014 in steam again. I'll have to save up modelling tokens and bucket full's of brownie points.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

The SNCF 141Rs have them as well, I think.

That would make sense. They were developed in IIRC the late 20's, early 30's as a way of coping with the enourmous forces the superpower locos developed. IIRC the firm was General Steel castings. As they had the technology they obviously used it.

Jamie

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

An interesting twist that may affect many steam specials and private cars is that Amtrak are stopping all such moves on its routes.

However as this loco is UP, I suspect that it will be ok running on its own tracks.

Yes it does help if you've got 31,000 miles of your own track to run your new toy on plus your own fleet of immaculate passenger stock. I can't wait to see it in action.

Jamie

• 1 month later...

Uncle Pete posted this.  They're using CNC to make new bolts for the crosshead guides.  ;)

https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/steam-update-05-07-2018.htm

And, If I read between the lines correctly, looks like they're pushing to having it ready for the 150th anniversary of the "Golden Spike" next year.  (it seems pretty thinly veiled, but they don't say it outright)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for that link Mike.   Is there any chance of you translating 6.30pm CT into UK time so that I can try and catch the live update on 10th May that's mentioned.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for that link Mike.   Is there any chance of you translating 6.30pm CT into UK time so that I can try and catch the live update on 10th May that's mentioned.

Jamie

30 minutes past midnight.

Will be a late night or really very early morning!

• RMweb Premium

30 minutes past midnight.

Will be a late night or really very early morning!

We are due into Vancouver on the 12th May 2019 and SWMBO has left the booking for the US part of our trip to me.   ...........

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We hope to be in the area for 2019 but not sure of the dates yet.

Better get your skates on, as you have left yourself 1 hour and 22 minutes to sort it out...post-32558-0-87419500-1525808954_thumb.jpeg Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Premium

Just watched Ed Dickens announce the worst kept secret.  yes 4014 is going to be at Ogden on 10th May 2019 along with 844 to re enact the Golden Spike. It sounds as if they will take several days to get there and then go on tour.so I will have to wait and see exactly where it's going to tour.   It would be brilliant if it came over Donner Pass to Sacremento first as we will be in the bay area from the evening of the 12th.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...