UP Big Boy to steam again in 2019

roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

I've just checked the twitter feed,  @UP_steam  ,  they finally reached Milford Utah about half an hour ago after a 16 hour journey from Las Vegas.  They are due to depart for Salt Lake City in less than 8 hours where they will have a day of relative rest.  They went through some very desolate country yesterday in Northern Nevada and southern Utah with little or no cell phone coverage so there was very little video feed once they got much away from Las Vegas.  Hopefully today will be better.

The UP Steam website also has a live tracker function that updates about every 5 minutes fed from GPS on the loco so you can follow it's progress.

http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam/trace.cfm

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tehy're moving north again set off about 15 minutes ago.  Looking at the UP Steam tracker they are due to pass Black Rock road soon, Hope they don't have a Bad day.

Jamie

haha, good one Jamie!

By the way, the footage of the train arriving at Black Rock was filmed on the SPs old Lone Pine branch, part of which still exists.  It's the line that leaves the north end of Mojave yard and sets off past the plane grave yard and ends up at Searles, the old interchange with the Trona RR.

• RMweb Premium

They seem to be making good time today.  Apparently most of yesterdays delays were due to freight traffic being given priority but they seem to have covered nearly 20 miles in just over 40 minutes so must be doing a good rate.  The route is now into the areas that i can follow in my SPV atlases so following it is a bit easier.  Next stop at Clear Lake Utah which is about 30 miles north of where they are, due at 6.30pm our time.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I spoke too soon they have been stopped at Black Rock but the next stop will be Delta in 50 miles.   Altogether they've got another 180 to do today due in Salt Lake City at 7.45pm MT which I think is 2.45am our time.

Quick update it's now shown as moving again.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Just got in from an evening working on Green Ayre and checked.  They have got to Jericho Utah which is at MP 686.  The need to get to MP 785 at Salt Lake and set off from Milford at MP 577 so they are just over half way.   Looks like another long day for the Steam Crew.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

They got to Salt Lake City at 11.19 Mountain time which I think is about 5.19 our time.  Another very long day for the crew.  The line up from Las Vegas is single track with loops and they had to wait for revenue freight traffic quite a lot.  Today is a so called rest day, when the loco is on public display in Salt Lake City then it's on to Ogden tomorrow which is only about 40 miles, then another display day.  At Ogden it is back on its old operating territory for the first time.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I've just found this video on YouTube of the servicing stop at Victorville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlAPcbhwWVg

It's great to hear the sound of the air powered grease guns which are so often heard on histoirc steam videos.

The other thing that strikes me when I watch any of the run pasts is just how big the loco is.  It seems to dwarf the two SD&0's that sandwich it and they are big locos in themselves.

Jamie

• Like 3

I've just found this video on YouTube of the servicing stop at Victorville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlAPcbhwWVg

It's great to hear the sound of the air powered grease guns which are so often heard on histoirc steam videos.

The other thing that strikes me when I watch any of the run pasts is just how big the loco is.  It seems to dwarf the two SD&0's that sandwich it and they are big locos in themselves.

Jamie

A few weeks ago, I took my 9 year old son and 4 year old daughter to Scranton to see 4012.  (The Big Boy is one of James' favorite engines)  Its really hard to grasp how big the engine is until you actually see on in person...

• RMweb Premium

A few weeks ago, I took my 9 year old son and 4 year old daughter to Scranton to see 4012.  (The Big Boy is one of James' favorite engines)  Its really hard to grasp how big the engine is until you actually see on in person...

When I took my family to Cheyenne in 1995 even SWMBO (Who is not impressed by trains) said WOW when we saw 4004 in Holiday Park.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Followed it on Twitter this afternoon whilst at a Barbecue it left Salt Lake City at 8.30am and arrived at Ogden at 9.59, good progress.  It's now back on it old territory as the class were allocated to Ogden when new to work the climb up the Wasatch through Weber and Echo Canyons.  It's now got another rest day before heading up the canyons on Tuesday to Rock Springs.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Jamie, any idea roughly how long (in miles) this move is?

I just looked on Google maps and there is far from any direct rail move from Salt Lake city to Cheyenne, by road its just under 500 miles but by rail it looks to be about double that.

Maybe the UK equivalent of heading from the west country to London via Scotland! :O

• RMweb Premium

I haven't got my employee timetable handy but it's just over 500 miles.  the route runs up to Ogden where it makes a 180 then goes south for a mile before heading east up Weber Canyon into Ecco canyon then via Evanston, Rock Springs, green River (WY), Wamsutter, Rawlins then via Hanna to Laramie and Cheyenne.  Between rawlins and Laramie it follows US 30 rather than I 80.   Between Laramie and Cheyenne it first of all heads south east to Tie Siding near harriman then via Sherman Summit to Buford then alongside I 80 to Granite then alongside US 30 to Cheyenne.   If I get chance to dig out the right book I'll post the distance.  I think Cheyenne is at about Mile 500.  A lot of the way between the top of Echo canyon and Rawlins it is some distance from I 80.

According to the GPS tracker its parked at the old Ogden depot which means that it's alongside the Big blow turbine and one of the 800 class 4-8-4's that are in the museum there.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've found the relavent books and the mileage is as follows.

Salt Lake City to Ogden  33 miles

Ogden to Cheyenne   489 miles.

There are two long days tomorrow and Wednesday to get to Laramie over 200 miles each day.  There is then a rest day at Laramie, and then only 65 miles to do to get home.

Here's the line up that it appears to be parked alongside.

P9159280_resize.JPG.4bb84691029458aed298669aecc011f7.JPG

The Big Blow, there are some great pictures of them double heading with Big Boys.

P9159286.JPG.7df696de51707335410343e1e0fb89b3.JPG

The 4-8-4 a Centennial and I believe an SD45.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The "5371" was the last SD40-2T "Tunnel motor" to survive in Denver & Rio Grande Western paint that was in operational revenue earning service with UP.

UP actually donated the loco to the museum.

5371 acquired a fairly big following come the end of its career about 4 years ago. Ive got abit of a soft spot for it and have the Athearn model.

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Premium

Well it's on the move again and is climbing the 3000' climb from Ogden up Weber and Echo canyons.  It is now not far d=from the Wyoming border and is due at Evanston at 19.45.   The class were built to work this grade, before moving to Sherman Hill later, so it's great that it is heading up its old stamping ground.

Quick update it's now at evanston being serviced.  the Alemite grease guns are doing their stuff.

I first visited Evanston in 1978 when I went through it on the San Francisco Zephyr.  Shortly after leaving it the bartender asked a group of us in the bar car if we wanted some beer as they were about to close as we went into Utah.  We all put some cash on the bar and he filled a large bucket with beer cans and ice that kept us going until we crossed the Salt Lake in the moonlight.  Someone had a guitar and we got singiong and I contributed Ilkley Moor but had to translate each verse.   Happy times.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2