UP Big Boy to steam again in 2019

roundhouse

While the UP begins restoration on theirs, another "big boy" is returning to life...

This is a 3/4" scale model, 3 1/2" gauge, built by Lindy Knight of Maine back in the early 70's (iirc).  Its now owned by a friend of mine, and is being restored and returned to running condition.  Here's a video of one of the test runs at the Montreal Live Steamers.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Back from our trip across the pond. Here are our pix from the trip to Cheyenne on 18th June May(!)...

post-16151-0-07177700-1402499295_thumb.jpg

This is the Cheyenne depot museum (the former passenger station) from which we were shipped round by trolley (tram-like minibus) to the UP steam shops.

post-16151-0-75742000-1402499398_thumb.jpg

Here she (he?) is in the surviving part of the heavy repair 'back shops'. That was where we saw her (him?) so, if in the roundhouse now, then it must have been moved since.

post-16151-0-36874900-1402499529_thumb.jpg

#844 right alongside, reportedly having attention to her superheater (hence smokebox door open). Conditions for photographing #4014 therefore somewhat cramped. I was a bit disappointed that the Big Boy hadn't been positioned outside in the yard for display, but there you go.

post-16151-0-11037200-1402499689_thumb.jpg

Moving over to the surviving portion of the roundhouse...

post-16151-0-91728300-1402499746_thumb.jpg

#3985 separated from tender and looking a little forlorn

post-16151-0-58455600-1402499831_thumb.jpg

The 2-10-2...

post-16151-0-52055300-1402499982_thumb.jpg

...and the snow clearer

post-16151-0-89740000-1402500076_thumb.jpg

Outside in the yard, this appeared to be the only member of the fleet capable of turning a wheel at present (and indeed they were advertising trips behind it back at the museum).

Of course, being at Cheyenne, across the way in Holliday Park resides #4004 and this was far more accessible from a photography point of view:

post-16151-0-27470400-1402500162_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-05088500-1402500253_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-06311500-1402500311_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-30774900-1402500358_thumb.jpg

We also saw #4005 at the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver, so 3 of the surviving Big Boys wasn't a bad 'haul'. Some more railway-related aspects of the trip posted on my layout thread.

Roll on 2019!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Back from our trip across the pond. Here are our pix from the trip to Cheyenne on 18th June...

Can you let me know what type of time machine you used!!

Some great photos there. One day I will manage to be there when the workshops are open.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is there any news?

I've not seen anything either on the Trains website or the Trains forum.  I know that theya re working on the workshop to allow the  restoration to be done in better conditions but I;ve not heard anyting else.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps I should have phrased my reply better.  As far as I know there is some minor dismantling being done but the main work at the moment is modifying the workshop area with better insulation and craneage to allow for a better working environment.  (Wyoming can get pretty cold in winter).  They also have their normal summer/autumn workload in keeping 844 on the road as well as work on 3985, 4014 has had to take it's place in the queue.  I suspect that major dismantling work will start in the new year.  There is a facebook group dedicated to it and Trains.com has a blog about it but I'm not sure if that part is subscriber only.  certainly if I see anything I'll post it on here.   Their target date is May 2019 for the 150th anniversary of the Golden Spike so I supect that it will be out on the mainline for test purposes in 2018.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a quick update.

According to an article in Trains magazine the steam crew have been busy retubing 844 during this year.  It Should be out on the main line in time for it's usual summer season in time for Cheyenne Frontier days in July.

As a matter of interest 2014 is the only year in it's 152 year existence that UP hasn't had an operating steam locomotive out on the rails.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just found a new video on You Tube that gives some idea of the work that is ongoing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3FaJqWmnaM

Ed Dickens gives a lot of detail about the inspections that that they are doing.  In the backgoround you can see that the suspended ceiling is being removed.   In another clip elsewhere he was stating that the upper aprt of the building was full of pigeons and their associated deposits.   They've apparently been doing a lot of work in that area prior to installing new overhead cranes.  A large amount of work and 20 years of guano to remove.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just 'wasted another hour watching a fascinating set of videos of a long and dtailed presentation by Ed Dickens.  They detail the decison to restore a Big Boy, the palanning and preparation for the move, the move itself and the early work on restoration of the Big Boy and the Steam Shop.  In part 4 there is a lovely segment about when the drop table failed with a Big Boy Driving wheel on it and 450 tons of loco above it.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

Jamie

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

It'll take as long as it takes.

I unearthed a copy of the magazine describing the restoration of "King" 6024. The preservation group at one stage thought they could get it back into working order within 5 to 7 years. In the event, it took them another 16....

• 5 months later...

You can never tell how long a job that big will take until you dismantle it and see what state it's in. Look at flying Scotsman, they didn't know the state of the cylinders mounts and frames until they took them off and ended up replacing the whole front end of the frames.

The only problem in the USA is running it. While UP isn't averse to have one of its steamers on its tracks, generally the cost factor is prohibitive.  US railways aren't fond of anything interfering with their freight trains especially steamers with their ability to set fire to the surroundings.  The cost of running a passenger train with wages, fuel and insurance means very high fares plus few places to run puts a damper on the proceedings.  No open access here!

Brian.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was only looking for updates last week and wondering if they'd had a problem it had gone so quiet. Major work on 844 seemed to be the reason so let's hope no nasty surprises on 4014 :)

Edited by PaulRhB

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some more info and some pictures of the work in progress has just been posted on You Tube and also on the UP website. 

http://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/steam-update-2-1-2017.htm

They've obviously taken the boiler off the engine units and then separated the units.

Good to see some real progress.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 1 month later...