Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Yes, two, the certificate for the second was 177 the first one was 63. Hope this will help you to find out if you're likely to be in this lot of lucky receipiants.

Mine will be regauged to EM and back dated to 1922 livery. Names and numbers to be decided, but will be on Laira's allocation for the mid '20's.

SS

Pleased to advise that mine ordered end of February arrived today with certificate number 0143.

Steam are sending them as per the date of order (as SS ordered his as they were announced and mine was ordered about six weeks later) but obviously the certicate numbers do not reflect the date in which the locos were ordered.....

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My layout is based around 1939 ish so 4033 Queen Victoria is OK I did check this out before choosing I will have to get some Castle elbows for the next one Queen Charlotte fitted in 1931, these are both the names of my darling daughters expensive aren't they.

Yes the Modelmaster ones are over £9 a pair.If I keep 4003 as Lode I'll still need some.Thank goodness neither of my daughters names are also on the list of Stars. ;)

I spoke to the people at STEAM this afternoon.  They said that they have now received all of their Lode Stars and are in the process of "sending them out".

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if I should ask here or the DCC page but can anyone recommend a DCC chip for the Star? Something on the right side of £25 would be nice...

Lenz?

My normally used decoder.

I have used a Standard + which I found are consistently good (£16-£20 ish) or if you are feeling flush a Silver + (£25 ish)

I would have used a Silver Direct + if it would fit but it looks like the socket is too close to the back of the tender!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I spoke to the people at STEAM this afternoon.  They said that they have now received all of their Lode Stars and are in the process of "sending them out".

A conflicting updated message from Steam posted on their website. I assume they meant 1000 rather than 100

NOTE IT IS THE MUSEUM'S INTENTION THAT ORDERS PLACED BEFORE 1ST OCTOBER 2013 WILL RECEIVE THEIR LOCO PRIOR TO CHRISTMAS. PRESENTLY WE HAVE INSUFFICIENT STOCK TO GUARANTEE LATER ORDERS, THAT DELIVERY WILL BE PRIOR TO CHRISTMAS BUT WILL BE DELIVERED EARLY IN THE NEW YEAR. ORDER NOW TO BE SURE OF YOURS, 600 OF THE 100 EDITION SOLD

Mike Wiltshire

Sorry if this has been discussed already but, having finally received my Lode Star, I was amazed at just how flimsy the front of the loco was. With gentle pressure from thumb and forefinger the buffer beam and running plate forward of the smokebox saddle will twist through about 10 degrees. It looks lovely, but it's definitely the least robust model I own. Is this a result of the design, or is my model faulty?  

I placed my order for Lode Star with Steam last December. It has not yet arrived. It's one thing that the post takes longer to get here, (sometimes much longer, like the goofy outfit in Sweden that Bachmann at one point used for their Collectors Club) plus the holiday volumes that slow things down, but I've had some delivery issues with my regular mail carrier being out, and I'm starting to wonder.

When have people who placed an order last December been receiving their locomotives?

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

When have people who placed an order last December been receiving their locomotives?

The museum had problems with the online ordering system over last xmas period.I had to ring in early January to confirm my order had been placed and it hadn't.I received mine two weeks ago.Can you ring them even though you're in the US ?

The museum had problems with the online ordering system over last xmas period.I had to ring in early January to confirm my order had been placed and it hadn't.I received mine two weeks ago.Can you ring them even though you're in the US ?

Thanks Robin, the ordering process for me was a bit chaotic and involved emails and phone calls. When the dust settled I got both an email and a snail mail confirmation of my order from Mr. Davies.

I can call them if I get up early enough. Two weeks is still within the margin of error for the post even for first class mail, I'm probably just being anxious but it's time now.

As a comparison, my Bachmann Collectors Club wagon arrived on Monday - only two mail delivery days after people reported getting them in the UK, but I still haven't seen the magazine, nine delivery days after people first saw them in the UK. It's still early days for that to arrive.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Hornby's Star chimney is just about high enough for a Star chimney, but at 7.4mm body diameter, is still too fat. (7.4mm is what the Castles had.) So much for Hornby "using the correct drawings"!

I'm not an expert, but from what 81C tells me, the number of spokes on the bogie wheels are incorrect, so I think Hornby's use of the 'correct drawings' is certainly something they fail to do.  Maybe their designer has lost a few sliders on his abacus?!

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to mine (hopefully) arriving at work on Friday... Just been despatched from that lovely retailer in Liverpool !

Ordered a crew from Monty... But forgot the bogie wheels... That will be tomorrow then.... Oh and maybe some DCC lights.....

• RMweb Gold

The January issue of BRM has a very detailed review by John Emerson of the Star and includes the message that Hornby have offered replacement bogie wheels for those who want to change them.

Edited by gwrrob