RMweb

Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Hornby still seem to have some QC problems, in that both the bogie and tender wheel b-to-b's needed adjusting outward slightly.  They'd run fine through my 00-sf points from C & L parts, but stumbled and derailed on Peco code 75 pointwork in the fiddle yard. 

No problem on mine (all code 75 Peco), maybe production variations as I have had both Hornby and Bachmann Locos that are a bit tight.

Keith

Quick work Mike!  Looks really good.  A Weymouth-based loco doesn't suit my supposed location, but I did always fancy the idea (for any 12th century buffs amongst you) of King Richard I and Queen Berengaria passing each other on the main line.

Intrigued by the idea of misting dilute green paint over loco.  One to try.

The green of the Castle and Stars was not quite the same when I coupled the two together. Add that there were stain marks from removing the GREAT crest WESTERN on the tender, the paintwash ensured all matched. In addition, I am not a fan of the matt finish of current rtr and the thinned paint gives a slight shean that brings out the colour. Just finished both my Stars this morning by removing plastic coal load and replacing with the real thing (coal lump ex City of Truro!)

Mike Wiltshire

Having read some of this thread (not all 46 pages), I ordered some 10-spoke wheels from Alan Gibson and fitted them to my Hornby Star yesterday.

A vast improvement on the Hornby originals, I painted the axle ends black, plus the wheel rims on all wheels, the buffer heads and a few other bright items to produce a more sombre Knight of the Grand Cross.

post-7466-0-93959800-1387132127_thumb.jpg

post-7466-0-06996800-1387132332_thumb.jpg

If I can obtain some 'Vauxhall' inside cylinder covers, I feel a rename or two coming on!

Glenn

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

My star photos are now on my layout page at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67477-wharncliffe-junction-gwr-in-the-1930s/

All of the issues that have been high-lighted above (I hate to say), fall into insignificance when it's running round.

Mine is a bit noisy at slow speed, but hopefully this will get better as it's run more. Already done several hours today!

• RMweb Premium

Very nice work Glenn.It would look even better with a Collett 4000 gallon tender in post war livery. ;)

Ha Ha! - Although you must admit Robin it's nice to see a Passenger loco with the smaller tender.... 

I wish to overlay etched name plates onto my otherwise fine Star [the originals being annoyingly somewhat fuzzy]. As a number of you have already done this, I'd be grateful for advice upon which is the best make to use for a] colour match and b] general fit.

Many thanks - appreciated.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

That 4000 gallon Collet tender just does not look the same!

Probably Yes to the spokes! - It looks as if the design clever nonsense has gone as the 42xx/52xx/72xx are also going to have separate smokebox darts.

I wasn't sure looking at the pic.,  possibly still is 12 spoke front wheels but Hornby said they would do 10 spoke  'for those who want them' or somesuch and I think they said future models would be 10 spoke.

I  haven't seen reference to the horizontal cab handrail, just the smokebox handles to be separate on new 42/52XX. Not sure but probably 72XX too.

They get spelling wrong in their publicity so often spoke-counters wouldn't get a look-in!

Today's Hornby promo banner headline page for 2014 models, as in Andy Y's message, has '2014 Annoucements'   I didn't notice it but Jan, a writer, saw it immediately.

Edited by robmcg

I wish to overlay etched name plates onto my otherwise fine Star [the originals being annoyingly somewhat fuzzy]. As a number of you have already done this, I'd be grateful for advice upon which is the best make to use for a] colour match and b] general fit.

Many thanks - appreciated.

Tony

Two ways depending on the length of your name.

If the name section is the same length, take the replacement name and score the bottom part off by continually passing a craft knife /scalpel along the bottom beading of the plate until the two halves separate. Then just glue the new name section over the top. This uses the existing painted/lined bottom part of the plate and no colour match required.

If the replacement name is shorter there is a bit more work. The Hornby name/splasher is a painted exthed brass overlay. If you turn the body upside down you can see the tab superglued in. With the body the correct way up, with a blade, push between the name overlay and the actual splasher and it should separate an pop out. With it out of the body, the name section can be filed/cut with tinsnips back to a size that is shorter than the replacement name. Then as above, removed name section from replacement plate then glue over the top. When happy, super glue overlay with new name on, back ito position - again no paint match required.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

Robmcg are you saying that if we contact Hornby requesting replacement 10 spoke wheels for the Star we have already bought they will send us a free set?

It was (considerably) earlier in this thread  msg 1108  when this was stated;

>>The January issue of BRM has a very detailed review by John Emerson of the Star and includes the message that Hornby have offered replacement bogie wheels for those who want to change them.<<

Presumably you have to contact Hornby. Maybe you have to buy them or pay something, it is not clear from the above.

Rob

edit

also Jan 2014 RM mag was quoted as saying future Stars will be 10-spoke (msg 1110)

Edited by robmcg

Two ways depending on the length of your name.

If the name section is the same length, take the replacement name and score the bottom part off by continually passing a craft knife /scalpel along the bottom beading of the plate until the two halves separate. Then just glue the new name section over the top. This uses the existing painted/lined bottom part of the plate and no colour match required.

If the replacement name is shorter there is a bit more work. The Hornby name/splasher is a painted exthed brass overlay. If you turn the body upside down you can see the tab superglued in. With the body the correct way up, with a blade, push between the name overlay and the actual splasher and it should separate an pop out. With it out of the body, the name section can be filed/cut with tinsnips back to a size that is shorter than the replacement name. Then as above, removed name section from replacement plate then glue over the top. When happy, super glue overlay with new name on, back ito position - again no paint match required.

Mike Wiltshire

Thank you Mike - appreciated. I hadn't realised that the existing plate was a brass overlay. The replacement is the same - KGC - so I'm hoping it is the same size or a fraction bigger. It's such a shame that the original is so fuzzy.

Tony 

• RMweb Gold

Future? A'present' version would be acceptable.No 'Stars' over the manger for me this Nativity....other than those I sing of.'Every star shall sing a carol,every creature high or low'

One concert down,two to go....

O,ye of little faith.....a lode of star has just 'Steam'ed in from Swindon.Now it can carol for me.
  • Like 2

It looks as if the design clever nonsense has gone as the 42xx/52xx/72xx are also going to have separate smokebox darts.

That cabside handrail might not be a major detail, but it was enough to dissuade me from making that impulse purchase. However, if they sort it it I'll have to reconsider. I bet I'm not alone in this either.