Hornby Star Class

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

As I mentioned in an earlier post (before Xmas; I'm not looking for it) my 'Knight' managed 12, a mix of Hornby and Bachmann Collets and a couple of H'by long clerestories. At any given moment half the train was on a 3rd radius settrack curve. I think all had metal wheels. Starting was a struggle but once under way it was quite happy.

Pete

Yes, starting is a struggle.  Mine will pull five or six of my R435/6 teaks if you discount starting, and give it a shove, and accept slippage on gradients, and so on.  Just like a real steam engine I guess.   I have yet to try it with hand picked and specially lubricated coaches, on dead level straight track.  I guess talking about the number of coaches a loco can pull is a rake of red herrings, given the wide variety of conditions of track, rolling stock etc., on people's layouts.

Actually, when I posted here, I was more concerned about the quality control of the model I received.  The body was literally not fastend to the chassis because it did not fit, and some person on the assembly-line just shoved it in the box despite the problems, but after managing somehow to have the screw bite and pull the pushfit nut right out of the bodywork.  For a "Limited Edition", which is Lode Star, it is perfectly reasonable to expect that each one of the 1000 locos has been built with particularly special care. A limited edition is supposed to have some value for a number of reasons, and quality control is surely one of them, although, I would not be happy with this level of poor quaiity control on any loco, never mind a limited edition.  In posting on here, I wanted to know if anyone had had a similar problem, or was it just my loco that was treated in this way.  From what I understand, others have had to return Lode Stars because of several different quality control problems, such as missing regulators, but none as serious as the issue I describe.  Undoubtedly, I can return this model, as Hornby has always been a great company and they will replace it I am sure, but the inconvenience, and costs involved are significant from over 3000 miles away.

Sorry pete, I totally missed your earlier post.  I did a search before posting, but the search engine is pretty random, and I missed your insights.  Like you, I am not looking for your post, mainly because the search engine is inscrutible, and certainly not because I believe your insights are not worth looking for!

Bob

As I mentioned in an earlier post (before Xmas; I'm not looking for it) my 'Knight' managed 12, a mix of Hornby and Bachmann Collets and a couple of H'by long clerestories. At any given moment half the train was on a 3rd radius settrack curve. I think all had metal wheels. Starting was a struggle but once under way it was quite happy.

Pete

Edited by rgmichel

R435 old Hornby teaks are quite light. Not quite as free running as today's models but lighter and far better free running than the Triang thompsons and Dublo coaches they succeeded.

A Hornby pug can easily mange 4 of these. There must something seriously wrong with your star. Tender and bogie is not lifting the loco I wonder...

I have not tested my Star for strength but it has taken 5 modern day super detailed, much heavier, with fitted lights and electrical pick up Hornby Pullmans with no problem (something a pug won,t pull).

In spite of the annoyance of posting it back to the seller, that's what I would do, and have done a couple of times from NZ ... it requires a gulp of fresh air , but once done it is usually a good feeling. (both were Bachmann models from Hattons, one had a bad surge and one wouldn't go at all, replacement or refund, cannot remember now)

Sorry that your model appears to have been poorly assembled and packed, it doesn't sound as if it was fit for sale.

Edited by robmcg

Speak to Geoff Davis: he's so helpful, it's impossible!

Good idea.  I have dealt with him before, and I had the same impression.  I did not deal with him for this purchase.  Thanks for the reminder!  I have sent an email to inquire about a replacement. (Update March 25th - a replacement is on its way now) (April 10th, I have my replacement and it looks intact, despite a very badly battered box.  I have not had a chance to run it yet.)

Edited by rgmichel

• RMweb Premium

I use a standard set of Hornby teak coaches for this test.  Load Star pulls less than my other locos. I am sure lubrication of coach bearings would allow all locos to pull more.

Not much point in lubricating pin point axles IMHO.

Keith

Speak to Geoff Davis: he's so helpful, it's impossible!

I pity poor Geoff !

He has been absolutely brilliant on sorting out my crushed box problem.

I am surprised he's not in a self cuddling long sleeved jacket with all the shoite product Hornby dropped (actually more of a trickle) on him.....

• RMweb Premium

Just tried another load test with my "KOGC"

6x Bachmann Colletts + 2 Lima Siphons

Will start up a 1:100 gradient without excessive slipping

6x Bachmann Colletts + 2 Lima Siphons + 1 Airfix Siphon

Will start up 1:100 gradient with noticeable slipping, but does get up to speed.

If approaching the gradient at speed it slows only a little with 9 up.

I find that perfectly satisfactory.

This is under DCC control with Lenz decoder in loco.

The only non standard part on the loco are 10 spoke bogie wheels!

Keith

• Like 2

More please.

As noted, the loco is currently a non-runner. It's killed two decoders and is currently sat on my workbench stripped down and undergoing a re-insulation job, and I'm hitting some more areas that Hornby missed. It's fair to say I'm not happy

As noted, the loco is currently a non-runner. It's killed two decoders and is currently sat on my workbench stripped down and undergoing a re-insulation job, and I'm hitting some more areas that Hornby missed. It's fair to say I'm not happy

There was something wrong with the decoder socket on my KoGC.  I didn't try to find out the problem; removed it and hard wired.  I'm pleased to say though that it didn't damage any decoders.

Email Simon Kohler and tell him what you think as he is alway telling people "there is nothing wrong with our models as we don't get many sent back".

Is there a consensus that quality control has taken a hit on the Hornby Star class?  Just on the day or two that I have been following this thread it seems so to me.  A bad decoder socket on one loco and blown decoders on others does not sound good to me.

Edited by rgmichel

• RMweb Gold

Is there a consensus that quality control has taken a hit on the Hornby Star class?  Just on the day or two that I have been following this thread it seems so to me.  A bad decoder socket on one loco and blow decoders on others does not sound good to me.

Not just the Stars. Tune in to the latest DoG postings.....in glorious technicolor.'Quality C......? '

• RMweb Gold

I would not waste my time again speaking to him in person I did try twice in two years as he is always in denial but I've no issues about firing off emails to him or Hornby.

I hope 60800 gets his Star sorted.

Wholeheartedly agree...especially considering the premium price paid for it. I had my own Hornby nemesis over this weekend .For that,see the Duke of Gloucester thread. Too much to expect not to be affected in some way by the fallout of c##p from Margate.I should have known better. The only way of dealing with this is to suspend disbelief with a sardonic chuckle.
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I emailed Swindon regarding a replacement, also noting a few aesthetic discrepancies that I'd picked up on, and was told that it would be replaced. After this, I decided to give my 'Star' one last run.... and the b****r decided to work perfectly. From other examples I've seen, the aesthetic problems are concurrent with both batches - so I've ended up retaining my example and have informed Swindon so. I feel awful for making it look like I'm messing them around, but at the end of the day, if the factory that Hornby contracts the work to would build the chassis right in the first place, we'd have none of these problems.

If the P2, K1 and J15 cause the same teething troubles, Hornby will lose another customer

The first bogie axle is off slightly, so perhaps I'll outsource my 10-spoke replacements. I'll shuffle off and start detailing 4003...

Edited by 60800

So how do I get my FOC replacement 10 Spoke Wheels?

Hi, like you I was disappointed so I called Hornby and asked for two separate sets of replacements for both of my models. Roll the film forward about three weeks!

Having gone out to Dawlish Warren for the day to watch Sir Nigel Gresley I came home late evening to find a courier package left just inside my porch. My initial thought when I picked it up was how light it felt and couldn't remember ordering anything.

So upon opening the package I found a well taped cardboard box inside ( about the size of a OO gauge wagon box ).

I duly opened it and found lots of packaging polystyrene together with "one" set of axles !!!! (Not the two I'd asked for).

Ok, so thanks to Hornby I can now replace at least on front bogie with these but, overkill or what with the packaging ?

Goodness knows how much it must have cost them to get these to me. Having said that I am grateful to them, so don't be surprised when yours arrive!

Regards