Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

Hi CDF

I am waiting to hear from the retailer where the 122's where purchased from to see what rectification action Dapol are prepared to take concerning the paint issue on the corners of the cab windows. Once I have an answer and I am satisfied then I will be having go at the revised lining. I'll keep you posted.

Did you get a reply from the retailer?  Mine was from hattons.

Have completed the Class 122 DTS conversion I've been working on, and it looks good with the Dapol 122 in early BR dmu green. To get a colour match, without having a spray gun, I used 2 coats of Railmatch BR Southern Region stock green, followed by a thin coat of Railmatch Souther Railway malachite. The deeper green undercoat, toned down the malachite. The final few days were a chore, cutting 11 lower lining transfers per side, to fit between the passenger door handrails and 22 new footboards. Still done now. Have attached a couple of photos.

post-13514-0-19783900-1500808431.jpg

post-13514-0-21929500-1500808443.jpg

post-13514-0-48060400-1500808457.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Very nice; your patience with the lining has paid off.  My method with this sort of thing is to apply the whole line in one go, and trim it to clear the door gaps and handles, which is just as much of a faff and you stand a good chance of pulling the line out of alignment. 

Had Riddles's scheme for steam powered auto rakes based on the LMS system been authorised, some of the driving trailers might well have looked like this.

Nice job Rembrow, although I would have used a darker shade myself on a 122, even though you have added a darker coat on top. Shouldn't the green and the lining continue around the inner end, it was certainly seen on either the Gloucester or Pressed Steel single car trailers, or both? I would use fresh Brunswick (loco) green on a Gloucester 122, and the darker and more yellowy DMU olive green on a Pressed Steel 121 and trailer, that was the distinction between the two shades, especially when weathered, I think this is where Chris Leigh was getting confused?

One other thing, you don't seem to have replaced the pair of over-length Lima naughty windows behind the cab? It's a bit of a chore, but does improve the appearance 100%, or should it be left to sad old DMU nutters like me? Can we see your trailer alongside the Dapol 122 please?

Well done anyway, Cheers, Brian.

Edited by Brian Kirby

Did you get a reply from the retailer?  Mine was from hattons.

Hi Meat

The retailer has emailed Dapol outlining the problems and are awaiting a reply.

As soon as I am informed what actions Dapol are willing to take, if any, I'll let you know.

The Blue/Grey one is definitely being returned as it is the worst of the bunch, plus the fact that the curvature on the corners of the blue/grey is not going to be a simple fix.

Just for the record I have had two issues with the green whiskers version. 

The first model arrived with a tiny bit of plastic loose in the box - part of the bogie support swivelling mechanism.  The retailer quickly replaced and the new model runs superbly. 

However on inspection of the second model the driver's cab handrail was twisted / bent.  I suppose the model should have gone back again - I didn't even take a picture.  I would say that the handrail was too long for the fixing holes on the body shell.  Luckily I was able to prize the handrail off which allowed me to elongate the fixing holes with a tiny drill.  The only down side was that flexing the plastic whilst removing the rail had caused some of the green paint to flake off.  My 'home made' replacement paint is perhaps still a bit dark - but galloping horses....

Regards  Ray

35322257643_06a11be279_c.jpg

Dapol Class 122

36130829325_be6aa3cf67_c.jpg

Dapol Class 122- broken bogie support

36130826825_46664d12bb_c.jpg

Dapol Class 122 - repositioned and repainted handrail

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1

Hi Ray,

In this early livery the cab handrail should be longer, and was in fact a combined handrail/gutter pipe, running from the cantrail to the very bottom of the body. As I said last week, it was perhaps a bit too much to expect the manufacturer to cover this variation, but since you had your's apart already, it would be an easy job. By the way, your home-made mixed up paint looks more accurate than the manufacturer's body paint. 

Cheers, Brian.

• Like 1

Just for the record I have had two issues with the green whiskers version. 

The first model arrived with a tiny bit of plastic loose in the box - part of the bogie support swivelling mechanism.  The retailer quickly replaced and the new model runs superbly. 

However on inspection of the second model the driver's cab handrail was twisted / bent.  I suppose the model should have gone back again - I didn't even take a picture.  I would say that the handrail was too long for the fixing holes on the body shell.  Luckily I was able to prize the handrail off which allowed me to elongate the fixing holes with a tiny drill.  The only down side was that flexing the plastic whilst removing the rail had caused some of the green paint to flake off.  My 'home made' replacement paint is perhaps still a bit dark - but galloping horses....

Regards  Ray

35322257643_06a11be279_c.jpg

Dapol Class 122

36130829325_be6aa3cf67_c.jpg

Dapol Class 122- broken bogie support

36130826825_46664d12bb_c.jpg

Dapol Class 122 - repositioned and repainted handrail

I have the RR livery version, luckily no marks on front window corners and thanks to your post I now know what the errant bit of plastic is that I found jammed in a bogie wheel set!

The real puzzle for me is that is that it is not one from my 122, all mine are present and correct - anyone short of a bogie support swivel !?!  

Thanks Martin

Most amusing

I have the RR livery version, luckily no marks on front window corners and thanks to your post I now know what the errant bit of plastic is that I found jammed in a bogie wheel set!

The real puzzle for me is that is that it is not one from my 122, all mine are present and correct - anyone short of a bogie support swivel !?!

When I unboxed my model the offending piece of plastic was wedged between the exhaust and the cab roof. I would have sworn that someone had put it there because it nearly looked right.

36005036031_e6457598fd_c.jpg
Dapol_Class122 - as received

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Martin

Most amusing

When I unboxed my model the offending piece of plastic was wedged between the exhaust and the cab roof. I would have sworn that someone had put it there because it nearly looked right.

Regards

Ray

It does, doesn't it?

• Like 1

I've got good news for fellow RMwebber Rembrow, and his nice Gloucester Class 122 Driving Trailer seen above. Photos reveal that their inner ends were originally lined green (1958), but presumably got dirty very quickly, and were repainted black quite soon afterwards (1960)? So far i've only found pics of the later Pressed Steel Class 121 DTSs with black ends, so perhaps a lesson had already been learned? Well i've learned something today.

I've built various green DMUs, but haven't gotten around to making any green DTS yet, although I have done blue and a blue-grey versions, i'd better put one on my to-do list?    

Cheers, Brian.

*UPDATE*

My retailer has been in contact concerning the issues highlighted earlier concerning the yellow ends of the 122, at the corner of the outer/lower corner of the cab windscreens.

I am very happy to say that the retailer has had a favourable response from Gaugemaster, who I believe act as a wholesaler for Dapol, and they are sending me replacements by express courier.

I have also been told by the retailer that Gaugemaster have checked others that they have still in stock and they have confirmed that some are also effected with the same issue, but they have also found some which are not effected, and these will be sent to me as replacements.

If you find that you have the same issue then I urge you to return them to your retailer for replacement. I understand Gaugemaster are in contact with Dapol directly concerning this issue.

Many thanks to Craig at Gaugemaster for sorting this out so speedily.

I look forward to my replacements, super glue in hand.....

*UPDATE*

My retailer has been in contact concerning the issues highlighted earlier concerning the yellow ends of the 122, at the corner of the outer/lower corner of the cab windscreens.

I am very happy to say that the retailer has had a favourable response from Gaugemaster, who I believe act as a wholesaler for Dapol, and they are sending me replacements by express courier.

I have also been told by the retailer that Gaugemaster have checked others that they have still in stock and they have confirmed that some are also effected with the same issue, but they have also found some which are not effected, and these will be sent to me as replacements.

If you find that you have the same issue then I urge you to return them to your retailer for replacement. I understand Gaugemaster are in contact with Dapol directly concerning this issue.

Sounds like a good response from Dapol/Gaugemaster. I am hoping that Dapol are also able to rectify the issues so the 121's are not affected.

• RMweb Premium

The response is clearly from Gaugemaster rather than from Dapol.  The retailer fixing the customer's problem as should be the case.  How much joy Gaugemaster get with Dapol over defective items is another matter.

*UPDATE*

Hi mate have you got to return yours before replacements arrive?

Who was your retailer as I'm wondering if they all use guagemaster?

Hi mate have you got to return yours before replacements arrive?

Who was your retailer as I'm wondering if they all use guagemaster?

Hi Meat

I had already returned the defective 122's to the retailer to make them aware of the problem. They in turn contacted Craig at Gaugemaster who was extremely helpful. Gaugemaster were willing to send out the replacements prior to them receiving the defective ones, as a result of them finding that some of the stock they still had was defective too.

I understand that alot of the smaller retailers deal via Gaugemaster as they deal in small quantities, where as some of the larger sellers deal direct with Dapol so I cannot comment on how they might respond.

The response is clearly from Gaugemaster rather than from Dapol.  The retailer fixing the customer's problem as should be the case.  How much joy Gaugemaster get with Dapol over defective items is another matter.

I agree, but in my experience over the last few years, with certain manufacturers and other retailers, the level of acceptance of faults by the manufacturer varies alot, with many burying their heads in the sand and hoping it will go away, with minimal effort & expenditure on their part, thus leaving the retailer and customer to sort things out.

The level of service Gaugemaster has given the retailer and subsequently myself, is very refreshing. I agree that it SHOULD be this way but seldom is. It certainly gives me confidence in the customer/retailer/wholesaler relationship when the satisfaction of the customer is put above anything else.

I hope that if others decide to return their defective items that they are met with this same  level of service. If not, let us know and name & shame.

I would like to confirm that I have no allegiance or connection with Gaugemaster in any way, other than being a very happy indirect customer.

Edited by Paul W
  • Like 1

from hattons so ill fire off an email later.

I think the easiest way for me will be buy a new replacement, swap the bodies and then return the one with the faulty bodyshell on the new chassis as my chassis has been modified with a speaker.

• RMweb Gold

Well, it's not just a bit, is it? It is a shape, and must be that shape for a reason; somebody designed it and had it specifically manufactured for a specific purpose, to do a specific job.  The 122 apparently runs perfectly happily without it though.  Clip for routing wires?  Any comment, Dapol?

Saw my first actual Dapol 122 in Antics earlier, in green whiskers; me likee, me love it long time.

Edited by The Johnster

Well, it's not just a bit, is it? It is a shape, and must be that shape for a reason; somebody designed it and had it specifically manufactured for a specific purpose, to do a specific job.  The 122 apparently runs perfectly happily without it though.  Clip for routing wires?  Any comment, Dapol?

It also stops the bogie turning to far.

• RMweb Gold

Ah.  So if you've got one rattling around loose in the box presumably you need to check that the other one is still there (I believe both bogies are powered on this model), note how it's fitted, and fit the loose one with a spot of superglue; first world problem solved.  

One of these models is on the shopping list for me, but a long way down it, and it will not be a worry for some time in my case, but I wanted the mystery solved...

Thanks Martin

Most amusing

Regards

Ray

Hello

I have noticed that this extra plastic part is on both the green ones on the Hattons website, see links below

http://www.hattons.co.uk/60363/Dapol_4D_015_002_Class_122_Gloucester_RCW_Bubblecar_single_car_DMU_Class_122_single_car_DMU_Bubbl/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.hattons.co.uk/60366/Dapol_4D_015_005_Class_122_Gloucester_RCW_Bubblecar_single_car_DMU_SC55007_in_BR_green_with_small/StockDetail.aspx

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT