Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

Still awaiting to see the Blue/Grey version "in the flesh" before I decide whether to buy, but looking at photos it doesn't look that brilliant TBH. 

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/4D-015-001-OO-Gauge-Class-122-Bubble-car-55002-Blue-Grey%20livery

The panels of white lined rail grey look much too rounded at the corners which would irritate me and be almost impossible to put right. And the double arrow looks overscale.

Mybe the image on Dapol's site is a pre-production model?

I know it will still be a while to wait but I'd like to see what Bachmann do with their 121 - not sure if they will still make one now though?

Well certainly it looks quite different from this:

http://llangollenrailcars.co.uk/extra/images/GalaImages/2013/Picture%204.jpg

However this is a preserved one, so not proof positive they looked this way in service. The double arrow is much smaller, however it could be that the larger arrows did appear on blue-grey, especially early as they were a common size on all-blue and perhaps carried over.

EDIT: there are several photos with the larger arrow on railcars.co.uk e.g.

http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/149

http://www.railcar.co.uk/images/7387

Looking at these last two images and comparing the level of the bottom of the grey area with the doorstops is it clear this is not something that is identical on all units. It was a thought of mine that if this line is lower on the Dapol unit then it will make the arrows appear larger.

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

Red tail lights are not correct for a green liveried 122 or any dmu stock from that period.  They were intended to be provided by red shades that fitted over the white marker lights, but in the event the rear lights were not lit and a conventional oil tail lamp carried to show that the train was complete.  Glad you're happy with your model and hope I haven't spoiled things for you!  Of course I may have misunderstood and you may be referring to the white front marker lights changing direction, which is quite correct!

Quite correct, of course. By taking the body off the model, there is access to three switches to switch various lights on and off. Removing another cover reveals more switches to deal with the cab lights. Very versatile.

• RMweb Gold

Quite correct, of course. By taking the body off the model, there is access to three switches to switch various lights on and off. Removing another cover reveals more switches to deal with the cab lights. Very versatile.

Good to see that D have taken the trouble to provide you with all the options!

Having received 2 x SC55013 in BR Blue, 1 x 55002 in Blue/Grey & 1 x Sc55007 in Green SYE I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the "tear drop" effect on the outer lower corner of the cab windows, which has obviously been caused by the packaging rubbing into the yellow paint. The blue & blue/grey are the only ones effected of the 3 types I have, the green one is OK.

I have attached 3 pictures which outing the issue, albeit poor quality ones.

This is extremely disappointing as it is very noticeable on the BR blue ones, and even if one was to spend time rectifying the issue, which I will, the very tight packaging would continue to cause problems, unless the packaging is trimmed back a bit, which I intend to do as well.

All 4 122's received had parts loose in the plastic retainer/packaging, something which has become more frequent these days. I understand that with the more detailed models and their associated smaller parts this is probably to be expected. I will be able to re-fit them but I am left wondering how many other purchasers of these items will be very disappointed to see loose items which have fallen/broken off fall from the model as they unpack it.

I was just about able to swallow the overly curved corners to the blue/grey liveried version, which I will correct, but coupled with this yellow end problem it is another case of a mainstream manufacturer not getting it right, either with livery application or packaging.

Otherwise, apart from the above a good representation of a class 122.

post-5308-0-41842500-1500623438_thumb.jpg

post-5308-0-07446800-1500623444_thumb.jpg

post-5308-0-70528100-1500623447_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

OTOH, those windscreen wipers are spot on; excellent work Dapol.  Hopefully notice will be taken of the packaging issue, and my view is that it is better to pack small attachable items separately for the purchaser to stick on, possibly including a small tube of poly in the packet so that you have everything you need when you leave the shop/take if off the postman.

• RMweb Gold

OTOH, those windscreen wipers are spot on; excellent work Dapol.  Hopefully notice will be taken of the packaging issue, and my view is that it is better to pack small attachable items separately for the purchaser to stick on, possibly including a small tube of poly in the packet so that you have everything y4ou need when you leave the shop/take if off the postman.

The Dapol model does come with a bag of detail bits and fortunately for me a clear diagram of where to put them. I won't be fitting all the bufferbeam detail until I have finished populating the interior. There were no loose bits in the packaging of my model though I did damage a couple of bits, easily restored while refitting the roof lighting and cab units.

Tony

I was just about able to swallow the overly curved corners to the blue/grey liveried version, which I will correct

Paul, thanks for highlighting these problems.

I'm still considering buying the blue/grey one despite the issues, but should be very interested to know how you will deal with the curved corners.  Would you be kind enough to post some more photos when you have done your modification please?

CDF

• RMweb Gold

The Dapol model does come with a bag of detail bits and fortunately for me a clear diagram of where to put them. I won't be fitting all the bufferbeam detail until I have finished populating the interior. There were no loose bits in the packaging of my model though I did damage a couple of bits, easily restored while refitting the roof lighting and cab units.

Tony

I just think the more little bits there are in the bag, the less are likely to succumb to handling in transit.  My most recent 'box new' loco is a Hornby 42xx, which had the usual pack of vacuum pipes and steps, plus separate under-chassis brake rigging loose in the box (unless it had fallen off the loco), but I wouldn't have minded fitting the lamp irons, smokebox dart (separate on mine), especially if it lessened the chance of damage in transit and reduced production costs.

Paul, thanks for highlighting these problems.

I'm still considering buying the blue/grey one despite the issues, but should be very interested to know how you will deal with the curved corners.  Would you be kind enough to post some more photos when you have done your modification please?

CDF

Hi CDF

I am waiting to hear from the retailer where the 122's where purchased from to see what rectification action Dapol are prepared to take concerning the paint issue on the corners of the cab windows. Once I have an answer and I am satisfied then I will be having go at the revised lining. I'll keep you posted.

Hi CDF

I am waiting to hear from the retailer where the 122's where purchased from to see what rectification action Dapol are prepared to take concerning the paint issue on the corners of the cab windows. Once I have an answer and I am satisfied then I will be having go at the revised lining. I'll keep you posted.

Great, thanks Paul.

Shouldn't really be necessary for you to have all that trouble considering you've spent a good few bob on your railcars.  I hope Dapol sort it out for you.

Guest Midland Mole

I was not intending to, but went ahead a purchased one as soon as I saw one very minor (to most) detail....it has destination panels for Stourport on Severn. That was enough for me to part with my cash! :D

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have to say that this is the first BR vehicle I've seen with the aluminium strips at the top of the slidey down door droplights represented, and it makes a difference.  Teardrops around cab windows = bad Dapol, strips on droplights -good Dapol, other manufacturers take note.

It may have been mentioned already - if so I missed it - but the white painted axleboxes are a novel feature, surely?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I've never seen white axleboxes. There have been various colours, and combinations thereof, at various times. Ones I've noted are yellow, yellow with red stripe, red and green; do they indicate the sort of grease used with a particular roller bearing?

• RMweb Gold

It may have been mentioned already - if so I missed it - but the white painted axleboxes are a novel feature, surely?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It must have been mentioned somewhere otherwise I wouldn't have known that I will need to find my yellow with red stripe paint! Edited by Tony_S

It must have been mentioned somewhere otherwise I wouldn't have known that I will need to find my yellow with red stripe paint!

On mine, the axlebox covers are silver. I did mention it in my review in Model Rail. Should be noted that the axlebox with a hole in it for the speedo cable need not be painted yellow - these were usually silver-grey. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

On mine, the axlebox covers are silver. I did mention it in my review in Model Rail. Should be noted that the axlebox with a hole in it for the speedo cable need not be painted yellow - these were usually silver-grey. (CJL)

It probably was in your review. Your review and advice has been really helpful.

I haven't fitted the speedometer yet so thank you for that information too.

Tony

It probably was in your review. Your review and advice has been really helpful.

I haven't fitted the speedometer yet so thank you for that information too.

Tony

I missed the speedo cable in my review because it was a borrowed sample and I don't think it was fitted. Now I've got a couple of my own, I've fitted the speedo cable and it is the 'icing on the cake' with a nice flexible cable for curves. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A quick question. Do the supplied destination blinds include Stourbridge Junction/Town?

Thanks

David

They are included in the transfers for my green with whiskers model.

Both town and junction.