Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

It is from the bogie inside the loco ANT, so i dont understand what you are referring too.

Ive been in touch with hattons today about my blue 122 that has the teardrop faults and damage from the packaging.

They have checked all theres and have confirmed that all there br blue ones are affected so dont have a good one to exchange me which sadly means i will have to be refunded :(

Gutted tho as id had mine sound fitted 

Ive been in touch with hattons today about my blue 122 that has the teardrop faults and damage from the packaging.

They have checked all theres and have confirmed that all there br blue ones are affected so dont have a good one to exchange me which sadly means i will have to be refunded :(

Gutted tho as id had mine sound fitted 

Blue ones still showing on their website, more than 10 in stock available to order..

Bad form to be offering them with no discount when they now know they are all faulty.

Blue ones still showing on their website, more than 10 in stock available to order..

Bad form to be offering them with no discount when they now know they are all faulty.

I guess they will just return any that get sent back to Dapol

• RMweb Gold

Seems a bit disingenuous and fair enough at the same time.  The teardrop in not the hardest thing in the world to attend to yourself, but if you don't read forums like this you might not be aware of it, and I think it should be pointed out to prospective purchasers, not that they are buying defective stock but that they are paying a lowered price for a blemished and imperfect model and being expected to sort it out themselves, or at least that these are 'seconds' or something.  Many people will not even notice it unless it is pointed out to them.  It will, after all, affect the resale value of the item.

"The teardrop in not the hardest thing in the world to attend to yourself"

Indeed not, although you need a certain skill set to make a good job of it as well as the tools.

Also many peoples acceptance levels of this sort of thing are alot lower than others, which is fair enough, if it doesn't look as though it needs fixing then why bother with the hassle of fixing it. I wonder how much of this is relied upon when manufacturers know about a problem when they allow the product out of the warehouse and onto the shelves.

I could certainly have rectified this problem myself which would have meant removing the body from the chassis, removing the glazing, removal of the windscreen wipers, covering or removal of the light lenses, removal of the exhausts, a rub down of the offending area, masking of the blue, respray of the yellow, application of decals, varnish, reassemble. But then again why should I have too?

How many people would be able and/or willing to do this amount of work on a brand spanking new model straight out of the box after paying  over £ 120.00 for the privilege. Not many I would guess.

It's a shame that quality control issues are still seeming to ruin models that should have the "WOW" factor and not the " Oh for Christ's sake, not again" factor.

I would guess that the issue has happened in transit after leaving the manufacturers factory, although why Dapol never thought to check them before allowing them out to the shops baffles me. Either they realised it and thought " no one will notice" or they need to tighten up their quality control before allowing new products onto the shelves, hopefully the latter.

However, I am now the proud owner of 2 unblemished Rail Blue 122's, many thanks Gaugemaster (:

Not just Hattons. Look at the "Rails" banner at the bottom, although having tried to click on the link it does say "page cannot be displayed"

It's now changed to something else....

Edited by Paul W

• RMweb Gold

"The teardrop in not the hardest thing in the world to attend to yourself"

Indeed not, although you need a certain skill set to make a good job of it as well as the tools.

Also many peoples acceptance levels of this sort of thing are alot lower than others, which is fair enough, if it doesn't look as though it needs fixing then why bother with the hassle of fixing it. I wonder how much of this is relied upon when manufacturers know about a problem when they allow the product out of the warehouse and onto the shelves.

I could certainly have rectified this problem myself which would have meant removing the body from the chassis, removing the glazing, removal of the windscreen wipers, covering or removal of the light lenses, removal of the exhausts, a rub down of the offending area, masking of the blue, respray of the yellow, application of decals, varnish, reassemble. But then again why should I have too?

How many people would be able and/or willing to do this amount of work on a brand spanking new model straight out of the box after paying  over £ 120.00 for the privilege. Not many I would guess.

It's a shame that quality control issues are still seeming to ruin models that should have the "WOW" factor and not the " Oh for Christ's sake, not again" factor.

I would guess that the issue has happened in transit after leaving the manufacturers factory, although why Dapol never thought to check them before allowing them out to the shops baffles me. Either they realised it and thought " no one will notice" or they need to tighten up their quality control before allowing new products onto the shelves, hopefully the latter.

However, I am now the proud owner of 2 unblemished Rail Blue 122's, many thanks Gaugemaster (:

But I'm talking about models discounted because of the fault, not full price £120 ones.  It seems fair to offer the faulty models at a discount, but wrong to not tell potential purchasers why the model is discounted; one should be able to make as fully informed a choice as possible in this situation.  Nobody wants to pay full whack £120 for a model that needs extra work, but some might, once they are aware of the fault and how minor and difficult to spot it is (I didn't notice it until it was pointed out) be happy to pay, say, £90 and do the rectification work themselves thereby obtaining a cheap model without delay.  And it bears on the trust issue between retailer and customer.

My practice is to strip down all new models shortly after I get them once I have checked them over and run them, in order to teach myself how to get at things should that ever be necessary and to check the lubrication, an area in which I find modern rtr manufacturers' QC a bit, shall we say, variable...

For the benefit of novices, it isn't necessary to strip down new ready-to-run models and lubrication (if necessary,  in accordance with maker's instructions, does not normally require dismantling). In many cases, stripping a brand new model apart merely invalidates the manufacturer's warranty. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Full price ranges from £144 to £168, the prices around £120 are discounted.

I stand corrected; £120 seems to be the market.

For the benefit of novices, it isn't necessary to strip down new ready-to-run models and lubrication (if necessary,  in accordance with maker's instructions, does not normally require dismantling). In many cases, stripping a brand new model apart merely invalidates the manufacturer's warranty. (CJL)

Yes, fair point, Chris; I am fairly competent to do this and as I said, do it to familiarise myself with the procedure.  Novices take note; Chris is a very old hand at this game and knows a lot more than me; his advice is better than mine!  But my point about the variability of lubing is, I think, valid; recent models (not Dapol or this model) have varied between almost dry to caked in something that looked like green earwax; the locos ran fine, but I cleared out the green stuff and re-lubed as I thought it would attract gunge.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Folks - I want to buy one of the Hattons limited editions of this model and fit it with sound - has anyone done this & if so how easy was it?  

Dapol seem to have got in the habit of producing bass reflex pockets on some of their recent models and I wonder whether that is the case on this one too?

Any help greatly appreciated  :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

I stand corrected; £120 seems to be the market.

Yes, fair point, Chris; I am fairly competent to do this and as I said, do it to familiarise myself with the procedure.  Novices take note; Chris is a very old hand at this game and knows a lot more than me; his advice is better than mine!  But my point about the variability of lubing is, I think, valid; recent models (not Dapol or this model) have varied between almost dry to caked in something that looked like green earwax; the locos ran fine, but I cleared out the green stuff and re-lubed as I thought it would attract gunge.

Purely as an aside and to draw no conclusions,my experience with two recent DJM Class 71 is a case in point.The first...delivered with the now familiar DJM printed card caveats to lubricate and carefully run in......was afflicted with gear noise which has not subsequently disappeared despite the recommended lubrication. The second is a Hattons GA edition,delivered without the now familiar printed cards but obviously in already lubricated condition.It runs smoothly and quietly in contrast with its earlier stablemate

• RMweb Gold

Purely as an aside and to draw no conclusions,my experience with two recent DJM Class 71 is a case in point.The first...delivered with the now familiar DJM printed card caveats to lubricate and carefully run in......was afflicted with gear noise which has not subsequently disappeared despite the recommended lubrication. The second is a Hattons GA edition,delivered without the now familiar printed cards but obviously in already lubricated condition.It runs smoothly and quietly in contrast with its earlier stablemate

How strange, my "Exclusive to Hatton's" model came with all the same printed cards that accompanied the crowd-funded models so I did what was suggested and mine was lubricated before running-in.

Keith

Hi Folks - I want to buy one of the Hattons limited editions of this model and fit it with sound - has anyone done this & if so how easy was it?  

Dapol seem to have got in the habit of producing bass reflex pockets on some of their recent models and I wonder whether that is the case on this one too?

Any help greatly appreciated  :sungum:

Ive got sound in mine. Decoders an easy fit and the speaker fits in an enclosure under the seating. Ive used a class 101 soundchip for mine

• Like 1

post-5308-0-89667500-1501440306_thumb.jpgpost-5308-0-72931400-1501440317_thumb.jpg

:O  :no2:  :angry:  :(

Unfortunately, having just unpacked the replacement 122's that I was assured were not effected by the "tear drop" problem, I have found them to be so inflicted, which is very, very disappointing.

They will be returned with a request for no replacements to be sent, as it would seem as though there are none which are not effected.

Will have to wait for a subsequent release and hope they are of a better finish.      :(

• RMweb Premium

Dapol really need to get a grip on quality. This seems to be yet another model which displays a very impressive degree of design expertise and with superb detail but which has been let down by QC niggles. If it was one model then you'd maybe give Dapol the benefit of the doubt but following on from the 73 and the 68 which were also both superbly done but for some QC and/or avoidable livery errors it is getting harder to defend Dapol. And looking further back the Western was yet another model very highly regarded for detail and looks but less so for QC.

I honestly think that in terms of design and the quality of tooling being produced by Dapol they're as good as any company active in OO, but unless they sort out their QC gremlins they'll be an also ran.

Have the factory packaged these up before the paint has dried? 

This was a thought I originally had but then I realised as Dibber has said.

The packaging is very tight at these "tear drop" locations on the unit so it would seem it has just been a case of rough handling and the tight packaging has rubbed into the painted finish.

I have 3 of the green liveried ones which I am currently working on and these are unaffected.

Currently putting drivers & passengers in the cabs of the green ones and adding the buffer beam detail, destinations & headcodes.