Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

Can't see anything on mine?

I can see it clearly on 3 out of the 4 windows in those pics. Or am i missing something here?

Edit. Paul w just beat me to it.

I was struggling not to give in and buy one, but thanks to Dapol for their usual attention to detail, my bank account stays £123 in credit. Hurrah!

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

• RMweb Premium

Sorry about that, don't want to spoil your enjoyment of an otherwise great model... but I guess I just have  :O

post-2274-0-35383800-1501450714_thumb.jpg

Nope - they're paint runs; someone's been too heavy-handed with the airbrush.

It's NOT the end of the world - a light rub with 1200 wet-and-dry and a touch of clear varnish and the problem - if such it really is - is solved.

If prospective purchasers are really going to deprive themselves of this model because of a barely discernable paint run, it's their loss.

What is apparent from the close-up photos is that the vehicle designation is printed as MPV - surely that stands for MOTOR PARCELS VAN ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

attachicon.gif post-5308-0-89667500-1501440306.jpg

It's NOT the end of the world - a light rub with 1200 wet-and-dry and a touch of clear varnish and the problem - if such it really is - is solved.

If prospective purchasers are really going to deprive themselves of this model because of a barely discernable paint run, it's their loss.

What is apparent from the close-up photos is that the vehicle designation is printed as MPV - surely that stands for MOTOR PARCELS VAN ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I cant see it being a paint run when hattons have confirmed to me that all of there stock of BR Blue ones is affected.

• RMweb Premium

I cant see it being a paint run when hattons have confirmed to me that all of there stock of BR Blue ones is affected.

If the same operative sprayed all of the BR Blue ones, (likely), it's what you might expect of the whole batch. Believe me, they're paint runs - I've produced too many myself !

The packaging has been designed to just NOT rub on the model, but to support it. Paint runs will remove the clearance - it won't be much - and the paints runs will sometimes be scuffed in transit. Other examples will just have paint runs to a greater or lesser extent.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

Ignorance is bliss. I picked up one of the blue/grey examples from Lord & Butler on Saturday, without having read any about any of the issues discussed here. I noticed the "teardrops" when I got the model out of its packaging but thought nothing of it, easily fixed if it bothered me, I reckoned. I also didn't spot that there's anything wrong with the blue/grey bits. As for the running, it's a superb performer, easily on a par with the Heljan parcels DMUs. Top marks, I reckon.

• Like 1

Ignorance is bliss. I picked up one of the blue/grey examples from Lord & Butler on Saturday, without having read any about any of the issues discussed here. I noticed the "teardrops" when I got the model out of its packaging but thought nothing of it, easily fixed if it bothered me, I reckoned. I also didn't spot that there's anything wrong with the blue/grey bits. As for the running, it's a superb performer, easily on a par with the Heljan parcels DMUs. Top marks, I reckon.

Indeed until I saw the issues on here I hadn't even noticed the issue on mine. Keeping mine its a great model.

• Like 1

Sorry about that, don't want to spoil your enjoyment of an otherwise great model... but I guess I just have :O

Not spoiled. I can only see them close up don't see how I am going to even notice it on the layout. Still happy with it.

Agreed. The Heljan models will pull a house down but I have never dared to take top off one. Even if I did, space for a speaker would be a problem. As for the Dapol, it’s very easy to open and installing a speaker looks very easy too.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Not quite" barely discernible" on the 6 models I have had as they have been quite prominent, especially on 3 of them, so much so that the yellow had been rubbed away quite badly and the blue underneath was showing through.

"A light rub with 1200 wet-and-dry and a touch of clear varnish and the problem is solved" would not have been enough to get them to the standard I required. It is down to personal choice and ones level of acceptance.

Unfortunately these Blue & Blue/Grey ones are below my level of acceptance.

The Green ones on the other hand, excellent.

• RMweb Premium

Not quite" barely discernible" on the 6 models I have had as they have been quite prominent, especially on 3 of them, so much so that the yellow had been rubbed away quite badly and the blue underneath was showing through.

"A light rub with 1200 wet-and-dry and a touch of clear varnish and the problem is solved" would not have been enough to get them to the standard I required. It is down to personal choice and ones level of acceptance.

Unfortunately these Blue & Blue/Grey ones are below my level of acceptance.

The Green ones on the other hand, excellent.

That's fine, of course - it depends on how badly you wanted them in the first place.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Couldn’t resist the temptation at the weekend and bought an early whiskers 122 at a local exibition.

A little sad when getting it home to find both battery boxes in the bottom of the retaining case, but hey ho.  Turning it over to see where they had come out from I noticed the rear steps on the bogie at the guards end looked a little close to the underframe fixtures. Putting it on the test track confirmed that on one side the step did clip part of the underframe going round the curve.  Also noticed that the rear step on the other side on the same bogie seemed to be at a crooked angle.

Putting the boxes back on and trimming the step were easy options, removing and repositioning the step not quite so without possible damage to the step. Putting all three problems  together and knowing the trader should still have another  I returned it on Sunday for a replacement. No problems with the second accept the step in the same position as the first still looks a little crooked, but not as bad.

It got many positive comments from members when shown on the club layout last night.

post-25180-0-94869600-1501663338_thumb.jpg

A special request to Chris Leigh (Dibber 25 on RMweb).

Hi Chris, 

You mentioned earlier, how you had partly based your Class 122 livery research, on your own bubblecar conversion made some years ago. I, and i'm sure many other members, would love to see photos of your model on this thread. Didn't you say it won an award or something? You must have a few images on file.

Cheers, Brian.

I think the steps are meant to be like that, my blue ones the same

Funny I was going to mention your picture in post 645 along with another in post 466 as both looking crooked. However many others show them straight as well as on mine, the step on the other side on the same bogie and both at the other end.

No big issue, but just look odd.

A special request to Chris Leigh (Dibber 25 on RMweb).

Hi Chris, 

You mentioned earlier, how you had partly based your Class 122 livery research, on your own bubblecar conversion made some years ago. I, and i'm sure many other members, would love to see photos of your model on this thread. Didn't you say it won an award or something? You must have a few images on file.

Cheers, Brian.

Nothing on file - well, not digitally, anyway, but I'll take a shot when I get the chance, later this week. In the meantime, it is in the background of this shot which featured in my recent blog. I put the camera in a location that I can't actually see into, and the camera has revealed a disastrous cockled platform edge and a dead fly! I have a problem with a particular fly species which are attracted to the bright white ceiling and skylights and which then drop dead and fall on the layout. The old Lima conversion, though good in its day really doesn't stand up alongside the Dapol model but still looks passable on its own. This was my first Dapol car after I put passengers and crew in it - article to come in Model Rail. With reference to the posts above, the steps should be horizontal. (CJL)

post-1062-0-76013400-1501679925_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Nothing on file - well, not digitally, anyway, but I'll take a shot when I get the chance, later this week. In the meantime, it is in the background of this shot which featured in my recent blog. I put the camera in a location that I can't actually see into, and the camera has revealed a disastrous cockled platform edge and a dead fly! I have a problem with a particular fly species which are attracted to the bright white ceiling and skylights and which then drop dead and fall on the layout. The old Lima conversion, though good in its day really doesn't stand up alongside the Dapol model but still looks passable on its own. This was my first Dapol car after I put passengers and crew in it - article to come in Model Rail. With reference to the posts above, the steps should be horizontal. (CJL)

You get them too....so I'm in illustrious company :jester:

Thanks for the photo Chris, very nice scene. Now I ask myself, is it Colnbrook or Cowley? Knowing of Chris's infatuation with the Staines West branch, it's probably inspired by the former? As Chris will already know, the station building at Staines West is an amazing survivor, and can still be seen on Google Earth, although it takes a bit of finding. It is now completely cut off from any railway, and has been done up all posh, and surrounded by new houses, although it is still larger than it's new neighbours. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe it started life as a large private house, then was converted into a station building?

Cheers, Brian.

Thanks for the photo Chris, very nice scene. Now I ask myself, is it Colnbrook or Cowley? Knowing of Chris's infatuation with the Staines West branch, it's probably inspired by the former? As Chris will already know, the station building at Staines West is an amazing survivor, and can still be seen on Google Earth, although it takes a bit of finding. It is now completely cut off from any railway, and has been done up all posh, and surrounded by new houses, although it is still larger than it's new neighbours. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe it started life as a large private house, then was converted into a station building?

Cheers, Brian.

It's actually a wish-mash of ready-to-plonk buildings - Bachmann S&D, Hornby footbridge - and dare I say it, the limited edition Bedstead and Four Posts (sorry that's what Alan Williams used to call Medstead and Four Marks) done by one of our competitor magazines. I'd even give them a plug except I can't remember which one it was! Yes, I could write you a thesis on Staines West. I worked with Staines Town Society to stop BR knocking it down in the late 1970s. It was declared unfit for habitation due to dry rot, and Alice Tucker's son (she was the lady porter) who was the last resident, was forced to leave. We got it Grade 2 listed and the inspector called it 'an interesting amalgam of domestic and railway architecture' because of its beginnings as Charles Waring Finch's home. BR sold it to Spelthorne Council for £1 and Spelthorne proceeded to destroy everything inside that was railway connected. We made sure that the canopy columns went to Didcot (ironic as they are Great Eastern style columns - Staines West's engineer also worked for the GER). Didcot's guys rescued other bits and pieces, and I rescued three Courtier stoves (1 at Didcot, 1 at Cholsey & Wallingford, 1 in my study - badly cracked as it had fallen through the parcels office floor -  and various signs etc which I still have. I even have six pieces of the canopy valancing - as a pattern for model-making but not needed as York Modelmaking does the correct pattern in laser-cut plastic. Sorry to go off topic but you asked about Staines West and that's fatal! I'm actually building it in N gauge round the wall of my spare room, just so I can use a Dapol N Class 121 that Gareth at Trains4U fitted with sound - brilliant! (CJL)

post-1062-0-71020500-1501689512_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 11

STAINES WEST STATION (GWR)

Whilst we mention this well-known Class 121/122 bubblecar destination of yesteryear, let's play spot the old station on Google Earth. Note how it is now surrounded by new housing, but a chunk of the platform area survives.   BK

post-298-0-12682200-1501693613.jpg

• Like 2

Later tonight I'll put something up in a more appropriate place under the UK prototype heading. You can pick up the trackbed on Google Earth, beyond the new housing, and follow it up to the point where it disappears under Junction 14 of the M25. It the emerges again and the Colnbrook Aviation fuel terminal is on the site of Colnbrook station. Saw a Colas 60 there a few weeks ago. (CJL)

• Like 2