RMweb

Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

I was waiting for the email to arrive.

Hattons have had the "on or after the 29th July" date up since at least the 8th July (when I got the last delivery information update...) and have stuck with it even though the Hornby Trade site has been saying "5th September" for  R3171 since about the 22nd. (See post 834 by 87029). They DID change the proposed dates for R3207 and R3246TTS about then, but not R3171.  I notice they're not even listing R3207 now!

Hattons don't seem to keep an eye on these things, I suppose that they got jogged into action by a customer phoning over the weekend to ask when they could expect delivery.....

I'm after the main range one, and that's what I planned to do if it didn't come with some. Have previous models such as the special edition Tornado and Duke of Gloucester come with them? I imagine the P2 will be the same as those. 

Unfortunately it's all too likely that this will repeat the disaster that was the Duke of Gloucester.  No flanged wheels with any version and more importantly it wasn't an effective solution to buy a set and just drop them in either, since the flangeless wheels had been mounted so far clear of the rail.

I've had the main range version on order since the original announcement, but I'm afraid that the DoG has dampened my expectations, particularly with regard to the chassis.

Edit - I have taken down my comment as a precaution, after taking adb968008's point below. I apologise for my flippant disclosure of some mere conjecture that I had heard.

Mod - Feel free to edit subsequent posts in this thread that have quoted my original comment.

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

I've heard a rumour that all three versions of the P2 have been manufactured and have been sat in the factory waiting to be shipped, but that allegedly Hornby didn't have the available finance within its cash-flow with which to buy them from the manufacturer...

One sincerely hopes that is not the case - but then nothing would surprise me at this point given the last four, nearly five years of manufacturing problems at Hornby.

I do hope the P2 does well because we all want them to succeed. The P2 itself may yet prove to be a good model in its own right and better than DoG. Calmly await events I guess.

I must say, the moulded handrails in the TTS video are by far the best I've seen on any of the recent locomotives, I imagine that if I hadn't have been told, I wouldn't have noticed them in that video. It also seems to lack any size and/or proportion issues, unlike Duke of Gloucester's smokebox overang. I too hope it does Hornby some good, the hobby really does need them, and their closing down would send out a message that model railways are a thing of the past, seriously limiting the number of newcomers. Also, would we have had the Great Gathering if it weren't for their sponsorship? I know I certainly wouldn't have dusted off my slightly battered and worn Hornby Mallard and got myself back into the hobby, and the NRM wouldn't have got a boost that it's been needing for a while. I'd love to know the source of the rumor though, I do hope that the P2s have been manufactured and are in fact on there way here, they'll have to turn up the ship to warp 10 if they want the railroad version to be here before the end of July (I live in hope!).

Edited by Ade the Pianist 4468

The problem with rumours is that it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy to the extent that people start to believe things which aren't true and then pass them off as fact ad infinitum. 

I just find it incredible that the P2s - which were reviewed by BRM in November last year - are nearly getting around to the point where the first review happens a year before the model is released. That's insane. Not a good business model at all, particularly given the hype in the run up to Christmas (I emphasise not of BRM's doing but where the P2 was used and has continued to be used in Hornby literature).

The rumours are inevitable when there are many delays.  It's likely that production of P2s has been delayed by labour and production slot issues combined with transport, being usually over-optimistic these days.  Hornby say they have sufficient funds, overdraft basically, and the bank will be wanting sales as much as Hornby, so any payment issues would be technical, not 'have no money' issues.

What I find hard to reconcile is the movement of expected arrival dates which are only a sea voyage away.  Are they on a boat or not?  (same goes for Hattons/Heljan heavily-weathered Garratts, expected late July, and we have two days left!)

• RMweb Premium

I was waiting for the email to arrive.

Hattons have had the "on or after the 29th July" date up since at least the 8th July (when I got the last delivery information update...) and have stuck with it even though the Hornby Trade site has been saying "5th September" for  R3171 since about the 22nd. (See post 834 by 87029). They DID change the proposed dates for R3207 and R3246TTS about then, but not R3171.  I notice they're not even listing R3207 now!

Hattons don't seem to keep an eye on these things, I suppose that they got jogged into action by a customer phoning over the weekend to ask when they could expect delivery.....

I think you're quite right there, Hroth!  They've had R3114 (B1 61270 in BR black with late crest) as available 'on or after Friday 9th May 2014' for several months now, and there's no sign of it!  Well I suppose they're not wrong.

I must say, the moulded handrails in the TTS video are by far the best I've seen on any of the recent locomotives, I imagine that if I hadn't have been told, I wouldn't have noticed them in that video. It also seems to lack any size and/or proportion issues, unlike Duke of Gloucester's smokebox overang. I too hope it does Hornby some good, the hobby really does need them, and their closing down would send out a message that model railways are a thing of the past, seriously limiting the number of newcomers. Also, would we have had the Great Gathering if it weren't for their sponsorship? I know I certainly wouldn't have dusted off my slightly battered and worn Hornby Mallard and got myself back into the hobby, and the NRM wouldn't have got a boost that it's been needing for a while. I'd love to know the source of the rumor though, I do hope that the P2s have been manufactured and are in fact on there way here, they'll have to turn up the ship to warp 10 if they want the railroad version to be here before the end of July (I live in hope!).

Which part of my post do you disagree with adb968008? I said a few different things and I will amend my post if I have made an error.

• Like 1

I just wanted to know if I had made some mistake about something, as I couldn't see anything in my post to disagree about. Had I said something like "the green is too dark" (I don't think that) and somebody had disagreed with that, that'd be fair enough. And as for your sentence, the knuckle coupling on the back of a corridor tender looks particularly painful. :blackeye: (Just kidding)

Edited by Ade the Pianist 4468

• RMweb Premium

The way things are I predict Santa will arrive before either loco with his Ltd edition  OO Sleigh and reindeer set pre order now :jester:

I hope it's fitted with a realistic DCC sound chip!

Keith

The sound functions include slurping milk, cookie munching and carrot chomping!

We always left a glass of sherry and mincepies out for santa.  He must have come ,the sherry and mincepies would be gone by morning! 

Must try it this year.  Might get the P2!

We always left a glass of sherry and mincepies out for santa.  He must have come ,the sherry and mincepies would be gone by morning! 

Must try it this year.  Might get the P2!

Better go easy with the sherry.

Otherwise folks might just wake up to find a P1 and a C2 beside the bed.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Well the end of July is here and none of the P2's are here.

I see Hornby's website has been 'slightly amended' to say 'first to arrive' with no mention of a month.

Presumably the models will have left China, or rather have left the factory, causing Hornby to add XX days to produce an arrival date in the UK.  Alas from what i learnt recently this simple approach doesn't necessarily work unless you build in a very big margin for error allowing for, say, the container to be landed at Europort or Hamburg rather than in the UK because it was stowed low down on the ship or delays in customs or sorting out groupage consignments.  It will no doubt turn up sooner or later. I think.

• RMweb Premium

I see Hornby's website has been 'slightly amended' to say 'first to arrive' with no mention of a month.

Must have been after lunch today as it was still as original announcement then.

Keith