Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I think that I've got most things completed on what started out as the RR Cock O' The North. I have got the lining finished, and have done some work on the cab interior, although it is very difficult to make much of that out! I've tried to add the frame-mounted guard irons on the immediate rear of the front buffer-beam, and have replaced the vents at the front of the tender(using 2mm thick wire) with the correct curved top to them. Please see the photo's. I used Modelmaster nameplates, and will be adding the works plate shortly - ran out of time today.

So, the RR P2 is certainly one way of getting a lovely 'super-detailed' model, and I'm glad that I went this way with mine. I hope that you all like what I've done, and it was not really that difficult!

post-22631-0-45262500-1410900441.jpg.

post-22631-0-56728700-1410900465.jpg.

post-22631-0-95338400-1410900492.jpg.

post-22631-0-72266200-1410900514.jpg.

All the best,

Market65.

P.S. I've been having problems trying to access the Image Editor tonight - have placed a post in the faults section of the forum.

• Like 6

I see you've included the handrail inside the right hand deflector, I was going to do that myself, when mine arrives, but wasn't sure how it would look. Thankfully you've confirmed it can be done and look great so I will be doing it.

Edit: I've neglected to mention all the other fantastic improvements done, if I hadn't gone for the TTS version I think I may have attempted something similar although without such fantastic results.

Thanks

Rhys

Edited by WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Rhys. Thank you for your kind comments. The handrail was quite simple to do. I just simply cut a piece of handrail wire to length, and super-glued it into place. On the prototype it looks like 'double-ended' knobs must have been used.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

I had suspected it would be simple but wasn't sure how it would look but you've proved it looks great and the lack of knobs won't be noticeable from normal viewing distances. You're probably right regarding the prototype.

Thanks

Rhys

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly, I suspect you have the panel of lining on the rear of the tender in the right place, whereas the panel may be too high up on the Hornby main range model.

Hi, gr.king. I think that you are right in that in a piece of film from British Pathe of 2001 on test in France, the rear of the tender could be partially seen, and the panel of lining was clearly level with the top of the lining on the sides, and therefore that is what I decided to replicate on my model. It is a little disappointing that Hornby have probably made a mistake here.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi. I think that I've got most things completed on what started out as the RR Cock O' The North. I have got the lining finished, and have done some work on the cab interior, although it is very difficult to make much of that out! I've tried to add the frame-mounted guard irons on the immediate rear of the front buffer-beam, and have replaced the vents at the front of the tender(using 2mm thick wire) with the correct curved top to them. Please see the photo's. I used Modelmaster nameplates, and will be adding the works plate shortly - ran out of time today.

So, the RR P2 is certainly one way of getting a lovely 'super-detailed' model, and I'm glad that I went this way with mine. I hope that you all like what I've done, and it was not really that difficult!

attachicon.gif100_6099 - Copy (800x606).jpg.

attachicon.gif100_6102 - Copy (800x565).jpg.

attachicon.gif100_6103 - Copy (800x489).jpg.

attachicon.gif100_6104 - Copy (800x508).jpg.

All the best,

Market65.

P.S. I've been having problems trying to access the Image Editor tonight - have placed a post in the faults section of the forum.

Superb work, all the handrails and lining have transformed the model into a much more beautiful thing, I shall feel suitably humble when I photograph my main range version (when it/they arrive!).  I especially like the appearance around the front end. Congratulations.

Rob

edit;  ah as I hit 'send' a box arrives at the door, now I can spend an hour trying to open it!  On top of that, a Hornby 'King' arrived an hour ago.  A busy day!

Edited by robmcg

Here is the dilemma ...  the main range CotN  or the much-more-attractive GWR fully-handrail-equipped (did I say that?  ...) King class.

both large and powerful,    all photos are un-retouched, honestly!   

but not for long!

post-7929-0-53124800-1410908708.jpg

post-7929-0-14653000-1410908739.jpg

post-7929-0-81068400-1410908766.jpg

• Like 8

Guest spet0114

Hmnn. Mine, on pre-order with Hattons since July 2013, is apparently in the second batch which they expect "very shortly"... Disappointed as this was for Dad's 70th which was 2 months ago and still counting.

Did they say how many locos they expect in their second batch?

Please forgive me if i've missed something insanely obvious here. I saw four R3207 models listed on eBay on Saturday @ £130.00 including the post and alerted other members to it. Also, there was one for £135.00 which had already sold. There are SIX (yes SIX!) listed on there now for £115.95, see here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Loco-R3207-LNER-Cock-O-The-North-Class-P2-/390932866950?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5b056a2786

My question is how on earth are they available on eBay when big name shops don't have them yet (and can't even guarantee orders)? I saw one on this morning for £115.00 all in which I snapped up right away as i'd got a £20 voucher to spend :-).

Edited by 84A

The main problem with Hornby in not shipping out the full loads in one hit is that it always creates a brief period when those who did pre-order the models out stripes the supply by a large margain.

This causes mass panic and feelings similar to that Hitler video...

Some will instantly take advantage by putting a few on ebay in that period at far higher than normal prices, knowing that a few panic people will snap them up gladly.

If Hornby have under produced here, then they will quickly find the SS at the doors this time I assure you.

Please forgive me if i've missed something insanely obvious here. I saw four R3207 models listed on eBay on Saturday @ £130.00 including the post and alerted other members to it. Also, there was one for £135.00 which had already sold. There are SIX (yes SIX!) listed on there now for £115.95, see here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Loco-R3207-LNER-Cock-O-The-North-Class-P2-/390932866950?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5b056a2786

My question is how on earth are they available on eBay when big name shops don't have them yet (and can't even guarantee orders)? I saw one on this morning for £115.00 all in which I snapped up right away as i'd got a £20 voucher to spend :-).

They're available because Jadlam Racing (the seller) is a Hornby dealer.  They've far too much negative feedback, and potential buyers should beware.  They may or may not actually have any stock.

They're available because Jadlam Racing (the seller) is a Hornby dealer.  They've far too much negative feedback, and potential buyers should beware.  They may or may not actually have any stock.

Yes but how can a Hornby dealer be showing so much stock yet Hornby themselves are showing out of stock? I appreciate your comments regarding negative feedback, and would suggest that this may very well be the case here - I could imagine 1 or 2 floating around, but not 6. I'd have liked to have bought it from my (not so) local shop, but was told they didn't receive many and are completely sold out.

(I think I bought something from Jadlam Racing a couple of years ago. To the best of my knowledge I had no issue with the service provided - maybe standards have slipped recently?).

EDIT: Another one listed here (with better feedback):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R3207-Hornby-Loco-LNER-Class-P2-Cock-O-The-North-DCC-Ready/311095580442?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083358%26meid%3D098c3c8c9bfe43fca96e32cae0a2958e%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140107083358%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D400774596264

Edited by 84A

• RMweb Gold

Yes but how can a Hornby dealer be showing so much stock yet Hornby themselves are showing out of stock? I appreciate your comments regarding negative feedback, and would suggest that this may very well be the case here - I could imagine 1 or 2 floating around, but not 6. I'd have liked to have bought it from my (not so) local shop, but was told they didn't receive many and are completely sold out.

(I think I bought something from Jadlam Racing a couple of years ago. To the best of my knowledge I had no issue with the service provided - maybe standards have slipped recently?).

If you look at posts #208 - #211 on the Hornby Sentinel thread (which was a hot topic when they were eagerly awaited) Jadlam were showing those 'in stock' before anyone else.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65710-Hornby-sentinel-at-last/page-9

Edited by Metr0Land

If you look at posts #208 - #211 on the Hornby Sentinel thread (which was a hot topic when they were eagerly awaited) Jadlam were showing those 'in stock' before anyone else.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65710-Hornby-sentinel-at-last/page-9

Thanks for the info - must admit I hadn't seen that as i've no real interest in the Sentinel. Could very well be 6i rather than 6 then (mathematically speaking :-) )

Edited by 84A

Since Hornby switched to having a 3rd party company handling their warehousing and distribution they have had far less say in where their models end up.  They appear to get their own retail supplies via that same company.

I wasn't wishing to put the evil eye on your purchase, simply to alert others who may have followed your earlier link.  Jadlam Racing have history which means that you can never count on getting the model you order from them until it's actually in your hand.  I'm assuming you've used PayPal.  If it doesn't appear, you should at least see your money back in the fullness of time, even if you need to claim through eBay.  Hopefully everything will be straightforward for you.

Since Hornby switched to having a 3rd party company handling their warehousing and distribution they have had far less say in where their models end up.  They appear to get their own retail supplies via that same company.

I wasn't wishing to put the evil eye on your purchase, simply to alert others who may have followed your earlier link.  Jadlam Racing have history which means that you can never count on getting the model you order from them until it's actually in your hand.  I'm assuming you've used PayPal.  If it doesn't appear, you should at least see your money back in the fullness of time, even if you need to claim through eBay.  Hopefully everything will be straightforward for you.

Thanks for the concern, but the model I bought wasn't from Jadlam - sorry, I probably should have made that clearer. It was from another eBayer who had 100% feedback, as it was 95p cheaper. Either way, i'm hoping it turns out OK after seeing various write-ups on here and elsewhere.

The Jadlam ones all now appear to have vanished off eBay - not sure if withdrawn or all sold?

Edited by 84A